Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I claimed another point for the 50km challenge today. It was one of the those days for blowing away the cobwebs and problems from the head. A great ride out.

This near Kirton.

1.JPG

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Couple of days off due to working at the weekend so started the day with a lie in, then a shopping trip with a quick 10 mile loop in the wrong direction to start with
https://www.strava.com/activities/1195129324

After lunch I mowed the lawn (as it seemed were quite a few of my neighbours) and then I took advantage of a lovely warm & sunny but breezy late afternoon to take the Cube out for a slower paced ride along the back lanes of Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne...
Newbourne.JPG

Waldringfield...
Waldingfield.JPG

Martlesham and then down and past the old USAF listening station on Foxhall Road....
Foxhall Radio Station (2).JPG

before a quick stop, also just outside Kirton (a couple of fields before where @Jon George took his I think) for a pic for the "show us your Cube" thread
Cube.JPG

and on from there to home.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1195129405

Old jon

Guru
A bit of a grey morning, yesterday, but I would rarely ride if I allowed the weather to stop me. Out with the Ellis Briggs, all them gears to enjoy for the next 33.5 miles on some rather wonderful Yorkshire roads!

Yeah, the first miles are escaping the city, still counts as riding. Although Holbeck is one of the areas I ride through so often, it becomes commonplace. An improvement in the case of Holbeck. After crossing the river at Crown Point, traffic was less tangly than has been the case lately and the lights were kind so a swift pedal along to Roundhay Road and the climb to the clock at Oakwood. Not too swift a ride, I had still to make up my mind where I was going. By the time I reached the Ring Road on the A 58 I had a rough idea of where, and a pair each of aching lungs and legs. It is still a hefty climb for me. Along to the pub and turn left on Whin Moor Lane for the blustery ride to Shadwell. There are few hedges or walls along here so the breeze can reach strengths that are quite interesting. Turn left on Main Street and along the road to the lights at Slaid Hill where for once the lights were green, for the right turn onto Wike Ridge Lane. An exhilarating road to ride along, up and down and side to side, and usually little traffic. Then East Keswick. Uphill Village, I need more fitness, this stretch always feels difficult. Along to the A 659, I use one stretch or another of this road on many of my rides. Into Collingham and turn left to go through Linton, across the re opened bridge again. Keep up with the gear changes through here, it is all too easy to lose momentum on the climbs and drops. Well, it is for me.

Into Wetherby, and out again by the back street diversion ( hmm, a name for a band? ) and I had already decided on the A 58 to Collingham and the ascent of Jewitt Lane. Yet again, little traffic, and by using almost all the low gears I had I reached the second crest at Compton Lane still sat in the saddle. OK single figure speed all the way, I guess that is what gears are for. The road still rises along Compton Lane, which becomes Milner Lane . . .

The video ends in Thorner, the ride continues. Leave the village via Sandhills, being grateful for the level stretch at the end to Skeltons Lane. Half way along the Fire Brigade were having a practice of sorts, that is what the signs said, but there was no visible activity, maybe I should have bought a ticket? The mini roundabout at the end really does work well, so over that and Red Hall Lane to the left turn onto the A 58 again. Some traffic confusion by the lights at Oakwood, after the descent of Boot Hill, I rode past the cacophony produced by the cretinous and happily pedalled back home on the reverse of the ride out earlier. A little sky leakage occurred after recrossing the Aire, but I was a mere mile or two from home. Brilliant ride, pleasantly tired.
The map is not compulsory . . .

21092017.jpg

Had originally detremined to have a hard 10 mile bash in the middle of today's ride
However legs felt stiff and I had knee warmers on so it was only a 2.5 mile hard bash,
so went over CHertsey Bridge and headed to Virginia Waters, not my usual route and diverted up to Wellington Road when I hit the A30

Tokk that to Chobham and diverted in and out of the Common and through the centre of Chobham to ny back way through Sandpit and Philpot lanes
Hitting the roundabout across the A320, back wheel felt spongy, sure enough a ouncture, though not totally flat, so pumped it up and headed straight home

I had been over a few potholes, suspected a pinch puncture but when home proved to be a normal puncture
Is it just me or don't they make patches and adhesive as good as it used to be?

Antway the ride was 36.42 miles @ 17.6 mph with 942 feet climbed

Weather was rather chillt when I started, had merino base layer, long sleeve jersey, and knee warmers
Was rather warm when I finished. The hazard of riiding at this time of year

A nice day and enjoyed the ride in the later parts with sunny skies

https://www.strava.com/activities/1195846848

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My rides this week I suppose, since the last 6 days have been much the same. My usual commute to the airport has been replaced with one to SLough Trading Estate to attend a weeks training. Took a couple of goes to get a nice route for the first part, and only yesterday did I find the best way home. Wouldn't mind but most of this is familiar ground to me...
A much more pleasant ride to start with, going through WGP, lots of young deer around with a spring in their step, and all very nice on Wednesday morning
20 Sept 2017 WGP.jpg

It was much less nice on the way home yesterday in the pouring rain, though not entirely unpleasant, once your shoes are full of water you ain't getting any wetter and it was warm at least.
A chilly start today, 4.5 degrees through the park, but the ride home was cracking, so much so I extended the 12 mile commute to 21 miles. Came across a snake on the way through the park, sorry about the poor picture but the little thing wouldn't stay still... About 6 - 8 " long it was, any ideas?
22 Sept 2017 SNAKE.jpg

Certainly a hillier week than I'm used to for commuting with the best part of 1000m climbed, compared to the more usual 100m or so...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's ride started off much the same as yesterday afternoon's one heading out eventually to Martlesham where, instead of turning left I turned right and up into Woodbridge and from there out to Hollesley, up to Butley and Tunstall, acrosss to Wickham Market and back down to Woodbridge and Martlesham where I carried on following yesterday's route for home - including copying the photo but on a better bike!
Foxhall Radio Station (3).JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1196179715

I do believe there will come a time when we'll met! ^_^
That may have been this afternoon - if that was you heading past the Lavendar Farm going up towards Bucklesham school on an Orbea, I was the bloke waiting to pull out of Tenth Road (next to Bugsy's Autos) that you acknowledged.:hello:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Time was short today so I took to a standard loop. Off over the common was hindered by the headwind. No worries, just keep pedalling. The work continues still on the M50 bridge but at least it's now on the other side. The climb to Redmarley didn't seem too tough and even up from Pauntley was fine. I opted for the Woolridge climb and that was fine too. The Cotswolds lay basking in the sunshine while to the west The Black Mountains of Wales could be spied. Along the Hams was quite brisk and this continued to Tunnel Hill and even over Brotheridge Green. Brisk continued all the way home giving me a very good average pace overall. 45 smiles

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today was my chance to do my 100km ride for September.
I arranged to meet a mate for a pedal towards Kimbolton, Bedford and back via Santa Pod, but he had to be home by midday, so we changed routes so he could break off home at a suitable point when I carried on.
We rode through Cogenhoe and Whiston to Salcey and Hartwell, then through the villages to Kislingbury where he headed home, and I backtracked a mile or so to head for Bugbrook and Litchborough (the hilly area!)
In one of the villages, there was a chap playing the bagpipes in his front garden.. I tried to catch the cadence as I pedalled past, but it was a bit of a dirge, and I wasn't going that slow :tongue:
I didn't fancy Newnham Hill today so cut across to the East of Daventry and into some lovely quiet, but steep, lanes in the general direction of Flore and Whilton.

IMG_3572.JPG

Brockhall is a bit posh!

On a gated road in Brockhall, I came across a couple of chaps attempting to fix one of the bikes. He'd snapped the rear gear cable and was attempting to get a rideable gear to carry on with the day. In the end, he managed to wind the adjuster in so he was in the centre of the block. Not too bad, I suppose, as he could still operate the front derailleur.
We sort of said we might meet up at the cafe in Whilton Locks canal basin, but I didn't see them again. Hopefully, the mechanical issues didn't ruin their day too much!

IMG_3580.JPG

Still, I had sticky toffee pudding and a cuppa to top up the energy levels for the final 20 miles home. :okay:

IMG_3569.JPG

In Dodford, I re-found the ford that I drove a mates V6 LPG Landrover through a year or so ago... It's about 100 yards long, and quite deep in places. I had the wrong wheels with me today, so didn't bother riding it :whistle:

Apart from nearly getting wiped out by a truck pulling out of a metal merchants and taking an unnecessarily wide line across my path, the ride home was pleasant in the autumn sunshine.

Back home on 64 miles, in lovely weather. Wrong clothes chosen though, as it was about 4c when I started, and not far of 20c by late morning. Sweating like a :mrpig: until I took my jacket off. Then I was chilly until the sweat evaporated from my top!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1196076869

:sun:

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
That may have been this afternoon - if that was you heading past the Lavendar Farm going up towards Bucklesham school on an Orbea, I was the bloke waiting to pull out of Tenth Road (next to Bugsy's Autos) that you acknowledged.:hello:
That was me!
These days I answer to Jon (or Billy at a push. Below is the photo on a business card I have started to hand out to people who say 'Excuse me, but has anybody ever told you you look like Billy Connolly?)
Me and Billy.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
My final ride in Malta today, using the excellant 'Next Hire'system.

IMG_2294.JPG

Headed away from the coast today into the centre of the island up some serious ( for me) hills.

IMG_2295.JPG

By chance I happened to find a quiet road with a nice bridge. There are not many quiet roads in Malta, but most drivers seem fine.

IMG_2296.JPG

A nice valley.

IMG_2297.JPG

The bike on a bit of an off road detour.

And finally back down to the coast

IMG_2298.JPG

Only 8 miles but for an East Anglian it felt more like 80 with all the hills. Fun though - looking forward to being back on my home patch in a day or so.

Top Bottom