Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
No plans today just wanted a nice 50km leg turner so fall back 50km route around St Bernards Abbey . Wanted to try my climbing legs ahead of tomorrow's lumpy forum ride so decided to do Polly Botts Lane used to be a regular climb but realised I haven't been up since March shame on me .I attempted this climb on my second every bike ride coming back to cycling in Sept 2014 ,I had to stop to rest .so it became a target , first get up none stop then get up quicker .Then after a rare visit from @Supersuperleeds get up faster than him .All these have been achieved. Today's was the first time I'd done with a heart rate monitor and in the shade a red glow appeared on the handle bars the LEDs on the bolt set to heart rate lit up as I charged up, managed 2/3 of the climb in the big ring and bagged a strava pr ^_^ .Had to stop at the top for a rest :sweat: and let the heart rate drop talk about going into the red !! . After this effort I relaxed the pace and completed the rest of my normal loop to St Bernards to Quorn and commuting route home 33.6 miles in the bag at 16.1 mph and 2100ft of climbing . This loop contains a bit of everything climbing ,fast descents ,rolling roads a couple of fast s bends I think that why I use it as my fall back 50km ride

gavgav

Guru
No plans today just wanted a nice 50km leg turner so fall back 50km route around St Bernards Abbey . Wanted to try my climbing legs ahead of tomorrow's lumpy forum ride so decided to do Polly Botts Lane used to be a regular climb but realised I haven't been up since March shame on me .I attempted this climb on my second every bike ride coming back to cycling in Sept 2014 ,I had to stop to rest .so it became a target , first get up none stop then get up quicker .Then after a rare visit from @Supersuperleeds get up faster than him .All these have been achieved. Today's was the first time I'd done with a heart rate monitor and in the shade a red glow appeared on the handle bars the LEDs on the bolt set to heart rate lit up as I charged up, managed 2/3 of the climb in the big ring and bagged a strava pr ^_^ .Had to stop at the top for a rest :sweat: and let the heart rate drop talk about going into the red !! . After this effort I relaxed the pace and completed the rest of my normal loop to St Bernards to Quorn and commuting route home 33.6 miles in the bag at 16.1 mph and 2100ft of climbing . This loop contains a bit of everything climbing ,fast descents ,rolling roads a couple of fast s bends I think that why I use it as my fall back 50km ride
Page 1000 of the best thread on Cycle Chat :bravo:

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Today 55k , my battery on my phone snuffed it so no photos of my cycle app for the distance ..
Cool this morning but finished up with the sun out ..
Real stench of poop from the fields today ..
Chilling on the settee now before meal for my birthday tonight ..

IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2011.JPG
IMG_2007.JPG
IMG_2010.JPG

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

You won't have had to put much effort in to beat my time up it :rolleyes:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Today promised to be nice, weatherwise, so I switched back to a short sleeved top and shorts, with arm and knee warmers to start with.
By 'eck it were chilly riding up Coal Road in the mist...:cold: Still, enough pedalling eventually warms you up.
From there it was Skeltons Lane and the long descent of Sandhills into Thorner where the sun very nearly came out as I cycled along Main Street, but then ducked back into the clouds as I climbed Milner Lane and headed along the ridge to East Rigton, then took Bramham Lane for the deserted singletrack lane all the way to Jewitt Lane. This lane suffers from mud during the autumn and winter and I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to ride along it given the current state of it. Today it was passable, but parts of it were only just rideable, especially around the s-bends.

Anyhow, up the rise and onto one of the Thorner Lanes and a swift run towards Bramham, although taking it very steady through the normally flat out dip due to the puddles and wash out from the fields. Across the A1(M) and into Bramham, with a wiggle through the village before cresting Town Hill and heading out into the countryside again on Toluston Lane.
Eventually crossed the county line into North Yorkshire and for some reason remembered the sense of achievement I got the first time I reached this point. Now it barely registers - funny how things change.
Down Garnett Lane and across a very quiet A659 and then the A64 bridge before the drop down into Stutton where I stuck to the main Weedling Gate through the village, across Cock Beck and up the single track road to the A162. Right and up the hill past Grimston Park, eventually reaching the top and turning onto Raw Lane for the mainly gentle downhill to Ulleskelf. Over the railway line, diverting through the village and then on to Church Fenton, where I stopped for a quick pic:
IMG_20170923_094441124_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170923_094544397.jpg

Back in the saddle and through the village, toyed with the idea of heading to Sherburn-in-Elmet but decided against it and crossed back over the railway line and headed for Barkston Ash and the A162 again. Normally I'd do a quick left / right onto Headwell Lane and head for Saxton, but today I carried on a bit further north and took the next left onto Saxton Lane, which is actually much nicer and also leads, unsurprisingly, to Saxton.
Through the village onto Cold Hill Lane and between the fields, dropping down onto Copley Lane and heading for Lotherton Gates.
There was a lot of mud on the road in places and I warned a couple of cyclists heading the opposite way to take care, but this was nothing compared to the mudfest on the B1217 Collier Lane just after the entrance to Lotherton Hall. Loads of mud, clearly dragged straight out of a field by farm machinery and several inches deep in places forcing me to ride almost in the middle of the (60mph) road as far as the A1(M) bridge. Judging by the smell it might not all have been mud either...
This was simply ridiculous - reported once I got home but by the time the council are back at work on Monday I'll bet most of it has been cleared by passing vehicles.
Anyhow, back on tarmac I could actually see it was up the drag to the M1 roundabout and then a short climb before the descent into Garforth, used the filter lane again to get past the queuing traffic (no thanks to the Ford faux-by-four who moved over trying to block me going about my lawful business:dry:), under the railway line and over the M1 again before nailing it up Long Lane into Barwick, setting a new PB :laugh:
The climbing continues from Barwick most of the way to Scholes, before it's generally (but not all) downwards on Leeds Road and over Cock Beck again, before hitting local roads up to home.

35.75 miles (57.53km) in 2h 31m at an average of 14.1mph with 1,532ft climbed and an average temperature of just 11.7°C (so the arm and knee warmers stayed on :laugh:)

Another good ride despite the lack of sunshine, and one more for the half century challenge so I'm happy with that. Quite a few other riders out, but numbers have definitely started to drop off in the last few weeks.
And for obvious reasons the bike got a hose down before being put away today ;)

To end, the map:
23092017.JPG

Mr Celine

Discordian
I'd broken a spoke last Sunday, so after replacing it I'd been keen to do a short shakedown ride. All day Wednesday had been very dull and gloomy but not a spot of rain. As soon as I got home from work, I jumped on the bike and went out for a 10 miler. All was fine with the wheel, but after two miles the heavens opened and I got drenched.
Things looked very promising today weatherwise, so I cleaned and lubed my rusty chain, wiped the crud off the brake tracks and checked the tyres ready for a 50 miler. First problem was a soggy helmet, which still hadn't dried out after two days. Then the computer stopped working, it has a dodgy contact which always gets worse after being soaked. Waggling it about usually works but doing this today only broke the mount. After four miles I'd already stopped a few times to guddle about with the computer and to readjust the straps on my shoes. They just weren't comfortable, I'd thought this was due to their drenching on Wednesday, but I could feel the beginnings of blister on my big toe. On further inspection I realised I'd forgotten to put the footbeds back in after removing them for drying purposes. :wacko:

Ride cut short to 20 miles, couldn't be bothered going out again so cut the grass instead.

Today promised to be nice, weatherwise, so I switched back to a short sleeved top and shorts, with arm and knee warmers to start with.
By 'eck it were chilly riding up Coal Road in the mist...:cold: Still, enough pedalling eventually warms you up.
From there it was Skeltons Lane and the long descent of Sandhills into Thorner where the sun very nearly came out as I cycled along Main Street, but then ducked back into the clouds as I climbed Milner Lane and headed along the ridge to East Rigton, then took Bramham Lane for the deserted singletrack lane all the way to Jewitt Lane. This lane suffers from mud during the autumn and winter and I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to ride along it given the current state of it. Today it was passable, but parts of it were only just rideable, especially around the s-bends.

Anyhow, up the rise and onto one of the Thorner Lanes and a swift run towards Bramham, although taking it very steady through the normally flat out dip due to the puddles and wash out from the fields. Across the A1(M) and into Bramham, with a wiggle through the village before cresting Town Hill and heading out into the countryside again on Toluston Lane.
Eventually crossed the county line into North Yorkshire and for some reason remembered the sense of achievement I got the first time I reached this point. Now it barely registers - funny how things change.
Down Garnett Lane and across a very quiet A659 and then the A64 bridge before the drop down into Stutton where I stuck to the main Weedling Gate through the village, across Cock Beck and up the single track road to the A162. Right and up the hill past Grimston Park, eventually reaching the top and turning onto Raw Lane for the mainly gentle downhill to Ulleskelf. Over the railway line, diverting through the village and then on to Church Fenton, where I stopped for a quick pic:
View attachment 374979 View attachment 374980
Back in the saddle and through the village, toyed with the idea of heading to Sherburn-in-Elmet but decided against it and crossed back over the railway line and headed for Barkston Ash and the A162 again. Normally I'd do a quick left / right onto Headwell Lane and head for Saxton, but today I carried on a bit further north and took the next left onto Saxton Lane, which is actually much nicer and also leads, unsurprisingly, to Saxton.
Through the village onto Cold Hill Lane and between the fields, dropping down onto Copley Lane and heading for Lotherton Gates.
There was a lot of mud on the road in places and I warned a couple of cyclists heading the opposite way to take care, but this was nothing compared to the mudfest on the B1217 Collier Lane just after the entrance to Lotherton Hall. Loads of mud, clearly dragged straight out of a field by farm machinery and several inches deep in places forcing me to ride almost in the middle of the (60mph) road as far as the A1(M) bridge. Judging by the smell it might not all have been mud either...
This was simply ridiculous - reported once I got home but by the time the council are back at work on Monday I'll bet most of it has been cleared by passing vehicles.
Anyhow, back on tarmac I could actually see it was up the drag to the M1 roundabout and then a short climb before the descent into Garforth, used the filter lane again to get past the queuing traffic (no thanks to the Ford faux-by-four who moved over trying to block me going about my lawful business:dry:), under the railway line and over the M1 again before nailing it up Long Lane into Barwick, setting a new PB :laugh:
The climbing continues from Barwick most of the way to Scholes, before it's generally (but not all) downwards on Leeds Road and over Cock Beck again, before hitting local roads up to home.

35.75 miles (57.53km) in 2h 31m at an average of 14.1mph with 1,532ft climbed and an average temperature of just 11.7°C (so the arm and knee warmers stayed on :laugh:)

Another good ride despite the lack of sunshine, and one more for the half century challenge so I'm happy with that. Quite a few other riders out, but numbers have definitely started to drop off in the last few weeks.
And for obvious reasons the bike got a hose down before being put away today ;)

To end, the map:
View attachment 374983

A damned fine ride, I could almost copy that myself tomorrow, if I get out
However, my access to it would probably be via (Roman) 'Ridge Road', from 'Peckfield Bar'

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My Cube spent the day with Dave, head mechanic at Rutland Cycles in Histon.
I spent the day at Cottenham village college doing a watercolour landscape course, and Mrs Dave did a Thai cookery course.

Once all 3 of us were home I was straight out on the Cube, the rear hanger was bent and the front mech out of line, time to test it out!
It ran perfectly, though I didn't stand on the pedals too much, I'm still nervous after doing my knee in.

So I went out to Bourn, past the Lalbagh curry house, it was smelling good...
Up to Kingston where I flushed the biggest, fattest buzzard from a telegraph pole. On through the Eversdens and over the A603 to Hairston and Haslingfield. The sky was starting to look nice
IMG_4630.JPG

In to Barton where some clown nearly drove in to me, but I kept my cool and chose to ignore them (for once)

The sky was looking so good I took another snap
IMG_4634.JPG

Up, down and up Long Road and back toward Hardwick on the worst bit of rough road in Cambridgeshire.

The bike is running lovely, and I've just had some beautiful Thai food for my tea!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1197956144

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A ride partly with my brother today. Yesterday he suggested getting out today as he wanted to do the Acton Burnell loop and get a fast time in. The suggestion was that I join him for part of the way then I could go off to do my own thing, so I agreed.

I got myself and the Dawes ready just after lunch but Doug had apparently forgotten the discussion and was messing about on his computer instead. Cue half an hour of waiting round while he got himself together.:rolleyes:

Eventually on the road we headed south to Condover and into a brisk headwind which didn't look good for that fast time. I tried offering Doug my slipstream but it didn't really work today and he kept on dropping back. After Condover it was academic as we had some climbing and then were relatively sheltered by the hedges.

We got on reasonably well through Acton Burnell, Frodesley and up to the crossroads near Longnor where we parted and I headed on my own to Folly Bank and the climb over to Cardington. I was surprised on Folly Bank to find myself needing a lower gear than I'd expected, however this turned out to be a good thing as it helped me get into a rhythm and by halfway up I was gently accelerating up the climb.

From Cardington I headed for Hughley, Harley (well, almost), and a slightly indirect route to Cressage where a van driver kindly let me out into traffic. That was a trend for the ride as every driver I met this time was polite.^_^

I'd planned to head through Wroxeter but to be honest was bored with going that way having done it so many times so headed through Eaton Constantine, Uppington, Walcot and Withington to Upton Magna instead. It's a bit of a slog through Eaton Constantine usually but not too bad on the Dawes, especially with with wind behind me. Going this way round though the highlight of this section was Bluebell Lane. This is slightly downhill for about two miles and with the tailwind I didn't drop below 18mph.

After Upton Magna I was back on my old commuting route so very familiar ground. I got on fairly well and hardly noticed the wind even though I had turned to ride against it again.

I extended the route a little by going through Condover a second time rather than using the shortcut and enjoyed turning north for the last time and having wind assistance for the last bit to home.

45.2 miles this trip at 14.2 mph average for me. Doug's ride was 17.1 miles at 14.5 mph average which he's pretty pleased with.:okay:

Photos were a bit of an afterthought today. Here are a few of the snaps I did get:
DSC0005138.jpg

Doug at the Longnor crossroads where we went our seperate ways.

DSC0005139.jpg

One of my regular views with Caer Caradoc in the background.

DSC0005142.jpg

Looking autumnal at Walcot

DSC0005143.jpg

Another view at Walcot.

DSC0005144.jpg

A good view of The Wrekin between Withington and Upton Magna.

DSC0005145.jpg

En-route to Condover again and looking south to Caer Caradoc and the Long Mynd.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lots out today. Steve E, Sara P, Mark L, Mrs 26, me and new attendee, my old pal, John B in the Green and Margaret PR with Jules H at the Pot in Upton. Newent was the decision so we took to the run through the Castlemorton lanes and on to Pendock. We were riding in quite a disciplined group for a change whilst the chat flowed. We turned for Hethelpit Cross and dodged Upleadon for Malswick and on into Newent for our cafe stop.

The weather was just getting better after a bit of a grizzly start. We rode through Dymock woods. Mark was struggling as he hadn't been out for an age. His bete noir is the ups. We paused to ensure he was on route but Sara is often on a mission on the way back so attempting to keep Mark in touch was a bit problematic. Nevertheless we achieved this. Even the climb up to Hollybush and Gullet quarry was managed with Mark just about there. We parted at Danemoor Cross with the Upton pair taking to Hook Bank. Some went by the Three Counties and others by Hanley Swan. The Autumn Show traffic was a concern for the the Hanley Swan bunch. The others risked it. 50 smiles today

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Took a 'Boris' bike for my journey across London this afternoon rather than the Tube.

Used the Cycle Superhighway from Tower Hill to Whitehall then past Buck' Palace to Hyde Park & back to Paddington.

Lovely ride taking in lots of sights ;-)

View attachment 151326

I did very similar today. In London with nothing much to do and a reasonable day. I've never been on a Boris Bike so I hired one in the City, headed down to the Cycle Superhighway and rode first to the Tate. Had a nice look around, then rode to the Natural History Museum which was fab. Rode south of the Thames and finally finished up in Aldgate where I had a couple of pints and something to eat

I thought the Superhighway was excellent. I only had a vague idea of the direction I wanted to go so ducking off down little streets was a pleasure and, being a Saturday, the traffic was OK.

IMG_20170923_160215.jpg

IMG_20170923_134139.jpg

IMG_20170923_175249.jpg

IMG_20170923_175324.jpg

Last edited:

Spartak