Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
After today's ride, I may have to get some kind of mountain bike (N +1 for my birthday?). :whistle:
Ipswich was host to The Great East Run today (a half marathon) and, since I knew a couple of people doing it, I thought I'd ride around the course on the off-chance I might see them. I took Patsy #3 The Hybrid, but inadvertently ended travelling along tracks that were more suited to a bike designed for the terrain. (I met several MB's - who seemed to adhere to the same ratio of roadies who respond to 'Hi, ya!' :rolleyes:)

Oh, I extended My Ride Today with a ride to the pub - my runner mate was there and 'too damed hot' apparently didn't quite cover the experience.

This of The Orwell Bridge with my friend Jay.

Jay at Orwel Bridge 24.9.17.JPG

Nice ride out with the better half;mostly off the main roads along the river to Wicken then out via Upward and Burwell and back home via Wicken again.
Quick(actually not so quick, they were a bit understaffed) stop at the Wicken visitor centre for coffee but no cake due to none of it looking that nice.

First run out for the b/h's Kona Smoke mtb/hybrid mutant and a proper run out for my XLS with the Lauf forks and SRAM x11 drivetrain.

Due to phat fingers ride is in two parts:rolleyes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1199634928

https://www.strava.com/activities/1199634969

Pic at Wicken with softer than a soft thing 'guard dog':laugh: ;

IMG_1101.JPG

Another forum ride with @13 rider and @tallliman and if we had not been so eager to get off @Lilliburlero would have joined us.

I left the house around 06:50 to do 30 miles to the 09:00 start. Was cool at that time and the wind was a bit stronger than I was expected. Nothing to note for the first 13 miles when I stopped for a call of nature and snagged my shorts on a gate, tore a huge hole in them so had to go home to get changed. :rolleyes:

21 miles I'm back at home and changed and out of the door to now take the direct route to the start. Get there with time to spare but t'other two are waiting for me and not expecting anyone else we set off - sorry @Lilliburlero we honestly didn't know you were coming otherwise we would have waited :sad:

@13 rider had planned a particularly nasty ride to Cafe Ventoux, some nasty climbs, nasty descents and some nasty roads. Karma paid him back though when he rode straight into a gate :laugh: - We can laugh now as he is fine and more importantly so is his bike, but it could have been very nasty. Anyway we get to Cafe Ventoux and it was my first visit, mainly because I had been told it was expensive and being a tight Yorkie that was enough to stop me going in. Anyway it isn't the cheapest cafe, but for £9.20 I had a latte, big bacon sarnie and a decent slice of flapjack, which I thought was quite reasonable.

At this point we decided to cut out some of the lumps on the way back, I was knackered, I think last weekends jolly has finally caught up with me. @tallliman was knackered from his tour and I suspect @13 rider was aching from his scrap with the gate.

Now we were sure @13 rider was okay every gate we saw he was given a warning, nothing like mates taking the Michael :laugh:

Weather was glorious and @tallliman bagged another metric century and us other two bagged imperials.

105 miles in total for me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1199597345

On a serious note @13 rider take the next few days easy, I'm sure you will be aching tomorrow.

I think it was this Michael we took most liberally (in a figurative sense): http://bit.ly/2jVdOPr

Great ride today as the others have said. Definitely feeling leggy from everything and have lost some of the desire to ride silly distances recently.

Having said that, the ride to Ventoux was quite nice on the whole despite the headwind and I think we made the right decision to cut it short. Wish that second wind I got had happened earlier....some pb's on familiar roads!

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
First ride since breaking my collarbone, way back the Friday after Easter. Decided on a short ride (12.3 miles) but with 840ft of climbing
First attempt got round two corners and then the cleat fell off my left shoe - quick return home to refit it as it seemed that one of the bolts had disappeared down a grate.

Second attempt far better, and found the gravel path through the local "country park" ok on the collarbone
country park.jpg

A very nice motorist (presumably a cyclist) stopped to let me cross the A59 which appeared to have a continuous stream of traffic heading east
hampst xrd.jpg

I struggled up Clint Bank - only at the top I realised had the front gear wrong. No nice visible indication unlike on a hybrid.
clint bank.jpg

On the other hand I was pleased I had changed the 24 tyres for 28s as I hit the cobbles at Ripley
Ripley cobbles.jpg

and the compulsory near miss with one of "mans best friends" was limited to this (no mental Labradors today!)
canine2.jpg

Route was clockwise
24-9 route.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a week stuck in the classroom with extended commutes it was nice to have a day off yesterday. That said, spending 6 hours stuck on the M3 fiasco was not part of the plan:sad:
Had a spin out last night, then a decent 33 miles this morning with 660m of climbing. Just over 7000m of climbing so far for September, and with 2 more opportunities for 'proper' rides I may well hit the Strava 8000m challenge....

After a week stuck in the classroom with extended commutes it was nice to have a day off yesterday. That said, spending 6 hours stuck on the M3 fiasco was not part of the plan:sad:
Had a spin out last night, then a decent 33 miles this morning with 660m of climbing. Just over 7000m of climbing so far for September, and with 2 more opportunities for 'proper' rides I may well hit the Strava 8000m challenge....
Well done, have coompleted the climbing challenges a couple of times
(I am metrically challenged) I have done 28,000 feet in a month
Unlike you I never manage the distance challenges for a month (no commutes)

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
So that's me knackered , fully enjoyed today see some people having good time canoeing , dumped my gel wrapper for a squirrel to try and take it .. hahaha .. best song of my ride was Eminem ..

IMG_2018.JPG
IMG_2023.JPG
IMG_2024.jpg
IMG_2025.jpg
IMG_2017.JPG

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Despite the forecast being rain this morning, it was actually dry at 9 o'clock so headed out to get some more metres in. Nothing exciting, and to be honest I'll be glad to get the climbing challenge out of the way since doing the same old hills over and over is a little tiresome. Surrey hills are too far away to do regularly, so I end up repeating a load of local 50 - 70m ish hills.
33 miles with 450m, nearly there.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Kingfisher Bridge/ Wicken Fen nature reserve near Ely was today's destination.

First off, yesterday, I'd seen loads of dumped rubbish while riding by Reach Lode Bridge. Someone had just dumped a whole heap of crap here and I was having none of it so litter picker on board, this.......

IMG_2306.JPG

Became this..

IMG_2307.JPG

Personal details among the rubbish. Reported.

Not much about at Kingfisher Bridge. At this time of year there's always the chance of a passing osprey but not today.

IMG_2308.JPG

Stopped at Wicken Fen Cafe for a brew and a few pals turned up. I'm not sure caramel cake is great for house sparrows but they seemed to enjoy it. Most were ringed, chapeau Wicken Fen ringing group.

IMG_2311.JPG

Near Norman's Bridge. Not sure who Norman was but I'm sure a top bloke.

IMG_2312.JPG

Burwell Fen. More sodding litter on board. Not a soul in sight and better still no motorised vehicles anywhere near. I do like my Home patch.

20 miles in about 4 hours, speed never a priority here clearly!

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After the excitement of a morning spent doing coving and woodwork in the spare room I figured I was due an hour out on the bike. Not looking for much in the way of hills now, but headed up Prune Hill to start, put some effort in and when I got home found I was faster up it 2 weeks ago on my loaded CX:laugh:
A nice looping ride around Windsor Great Park in the end. The sun was warm enough to take the hat off, and it felt like a Summers day, hard to believe it's nearly October.
A very enjoyable 15 miles in just over an hour, and I've been decorating since I got back, or at least moving things around...
Back on the commute tomorrow, though I'm tempted to have a day off the bike and give the legs a break.

Old jon

Guru
Another grand morning, improved immensely by the prospect of a ride. On the fixed this morning and I was quite happy to aim it east and south of home. The roads tend to be a little flatter in that area.

A tried, tested and rusted route for today, and just for a change, ride in the opposite direction to usual. And for no change at all, that idea altered towards the end of the ride. So. Wander through Holbeck and out along Great Wilson Street, turning left onto Crown Point Road and across the river on the similarly named bridge. Ooops! No!! Traffic instead, and impassable so I pedalled off along Bowman Lane to Leeds Bridge and crossed the river there instead. Lower Briggate to Calls to New York Street and back on track for Regent Street and the ride up to the Oakwood Clock. And up more to the Ring Road along the A 58. A little further along and there is Red Hall Lane on the right, to Skeltons Lane and right onto Thorner Lane. There is nothing to say about the A 64, so ride along a bit and turn right onto Scholes Lane, continuing through the village and up the rise to Barwick in Elmet.

The maypole appears at about 1:52 in the video but once it passes the roof of the pub it is lost in the skyscape that Yorkshire offered this morning. You can see the top though. Pedal all the way down the hill ( the joys of fixed gear ) and across Cock Beck, climb out of the valley and ride along to Aberford. Turn right, this was once the A 1, and then left along Lotherton Lane to the gates of the hall. Turn right again, the road rises gently but the legs are tiring now. Ride under the new A 1, around the roundabout over the M 1 and take the turn off for Garforth. It is all different in this direction, in particular the road surface . . .

Along to the roundabout, take the road uphill to Swillington and then downhill to cross the river and canal. About now I thought. ‘ Why not ride the towpath? ‘ So I did, and much merriment followed. Everything was fine, honest. A tarmac path, a few dog walkers and all that. Then I crossed the canal at a lock I cannot remember the name of. The towpath became rough, OK I was expecting that. Then it became muddy, expecting that too. And then the mud became deeper, and deeper, and deeper. At some point the front wheel was in a muddy rut about a foot to the right of the rear wheel. Shortly after that I fell off. No big deal, slow enough that it was just a landing, not a slide and I walked until the surface of the towpath reappeared. Memo to self, Durano plus tyres are not suited to this sort of riding. After this, the remainder of the ride was anticlimactic really. I left the canal at Skelton Grange Road, still dripping mud everywhere, and rode through Hunslet, turning left to pass the Parish Church and left again to go by the Gardener’s Arms, much more my place of worship, then rode along Tunstall Road to Dewsbury Road and the rest of the way home. Twenty eight and a half happy miles, with mud, and the grin still there.

The map again,

26092017.jpg

Hmmm. October looks to be a ride free month. I am travelling, and should be back posting on the forum in early November.
I will lurk.

Top Bottom