Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Second Lakes ride from last Tuesday:

In the pub last night there was a lot of talk about what kind of ride we should do this time. The consensus was that it should be easier but we still wanted to do a reasonable distance.

What actually happened was that we headed up into Grizedale which was a climb right from the off and carried on until we'd ascended 500 feet in the first mile. The climbing then continued into the forest as we followed the orange waymarked trail round the western side of the valley. I love cycling round here and the views and the downhill sections make up for the climbing (to me - other opinions are avalable :whistle:).

Having worked our way back down to the visitor centre and had our lunch it was back onto the tarmac and mostly downhill through Satterthwaite and Force Forge before doubling back and starting to climb again to Thwaite Head and the road to Graythwaite. I knew this bit was uphill and was going to be a bit of a pull but, my, did the map mislead me. Not only was it on the steep side for a single gradient arrow climb but it felt never-ending and we were all feeling the burn by the summit. Our reward was Green Hows Tarn which was new to me and was a pretty place to stop and recover slightly, followed by a swift descent to Graythwaite. There was another short climb here then another big descent which we couldn't make the most of due to being wary of the wet roads.

The road through Cunsey is mostly flat with views over Windermere which was nice but we knew there would be a climb to join the road to the ferry. What we didn't know was that this road was closed. I rode on ahead to sus it out but there was a wagon completely blocking the road and even if they were to let us walk the bikes through the works we wouldn't actually have been able to fit.

So a detour was required up to Far Sawrey (pretty place) which meant more climbing than planned but fortunately not as bad as I'd expected, followed by a fast descent on a wide road down to the shore of Windermere.

The lake shore path is a little rougher than last time we were here but still good to ride. There is a steep section where Doug got stuck in the wrong gear and needed to push to the summit to much ribbing as his bike is the lowest geared of the three.

Further along the path I politely gave way to a couple of walkers and hit a pothole. There was a loud crack from somewhere at the back of the bike but I didn't notice anything untoward when I checked.

We let a few faster riders past on the section to Wray Castle and were pleased to find we can't have been doing too badly as we started to catch them up again on the next climb.

After the castle we took another off road section that heads towards Ambleside. We weren't going that far though and rejoined the tarmac on the road to the Drunken Duck. Our original plan was to have a pub stop at Outgate as we haven't tried that pub before but being quite tired by now and knowing how much we like the Barngates beers I was quite pleased to see Gav stop by the Drunken Duck instead and none of us needed persuading to have our break here.

On the way back to Hawkshead I did a good deed by stopping to remove a roll of plastic sheeting that had fallen off a vehicle into the road, then enjoyed the downhill section, whizzing past another rider with ease.

Getting back to the cottage I found the source of the noise when I hit the pothole which was that a fixing on the rack had gone missing. Fortunately Gav had a spare bolt that fitted and I was able to secure it properly. Something to add to my emergency kit for another occasion.

28.4 miles at 9mph average with a top speed of 35.1 mph which I think is the fastest I've ever gone on the knockabout bike. It could perhaps have been even better if the roads had been dry. Doug and Gav tell me that their Strava shows well over 100 feet per mile climbing for the whole route so I think we can safely call that a hilly ride.

DSC0005081.jpg

Climbing up into Grizedale. Doug and Gav weren't overly impressed with the first mile or so.

DSC0005083.jpg

Forest riding. Some of these gravel roads are better maintained than the public highway.:laugh:

DSC0005088.jpg

Grabbing snaps from a viewpoint.

DSC0005091.jpg

Back on tarmac and heading into Satterthwaite.

DSC0005092.jpg

A pause for breath on the tougher than expected climb.

DSC0005094.jpg

Up at Green Hows Tarn.

DSC0005095.jpg

Not part of the plan. Time to reroute.

DSC0005096.jpg

The shore of Windermere.

DSC0005104.jpg

Following the shore path to Wray Castle.

DSC0005108.jpg

This time the pints felt well earned.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I didn't have time yesterday to go out for a ride so I was out this morning for an enjoyable 55 miles, a fun ride out with a tailwind and a slog back into the breeze. An unusual cafe stop as well, Gongoozler's Rest canal boat cafe at the Braunston Marina, the first time I've seen a cafe in a canal boat. I took a regular route out to Willoughby then turned right down the A45 to the Marina. On the way back I retraced my wheel tracks to Grandborough, then turned left for Broadwell and onto Long Itchington, where I turned left and over Hunningham to Bubbenhall where I turned right through Ryton and across the A45 to Woolston, where I turned left and rode into Coventry past the old speedway and on down the Binley road before turning right onto Hipswell Highway and home.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/17786253

20170918_113653.jpg

20170918_111036.jpg

20170918_115150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Not today, but rides for Friday to Sunday:

Someone a while ago started a thread about Spurn Point and amongst the posts @Pale Rider mentioned he and @EasyPeez would soon be riding to it and I expressed an interest in tagging along. They decided on this Saturday just gone. I had originally planned on driving up on the Saturday morning, doing the ride and then riding back home. However, last week (or the week before) number one son decided he wanted to go back to Uni this weekend so I couldn't have the car.

Therefore I decided to ride up and ride back and make a mini tour of it. I called my sister and bagged a bed for a couple of nights ^_^ went to the bike shop and got a seat post bag so I didn't need to use a rucksack and got planning the routes. Whilst planning the routes, which I normally do on Strava, I was reading another thread and @Littgull mentioned a planning site called cycle.travel which plotted routes on the quieter roads. So I decided to use that for the ride up.

The overall plan was 125 miles up to Brough (from Leicester) on the Friday, 100 miles on the Saturday, including the forum ride of 50-55 miles and then 113 miles back to Leicester on the Sunday :ohmy: I did have bail out options for the first 70 miles on the Friday and the last 70 miles on the Sunday as I could use the train between Leicester and Lincoln if need be.

Anyway onto the rides:

Friday

I set off at around 6:45 and more or less immediately it started raining, nothing heavy just a constant but light drizzle. The first 20 miles or so through familiar roads up to Old Dalby and down into the Vale of Belvoir.

Between Kinoulton and Owthorpe the route took me off road and down a short tow path alongside a disused canal. a bit rough but the bike handled it fine.

Around 4 or 5 miles outside of Newark I went onto what I think must have been a disuse railway which took me right into Newark, very well surfaced and a fantastic way to get into Newark. From Newark to Lincoln I saw hardly any cars and the last 6 or 7 miles to Lincoln were again on off road cycle paths - again great surfaces and took me right into Lincoln.

At Lincoln I had to go up the hill to the Cathedral, now I didn't go up the cobbled Steep Hill but did a heart attack enducing tarmac road that ran around it. After this it was Route 1 all the way to the Humber Bridge.

I stopped at Scothern for a coffee and a bit of cake and was really impressed with the route I was on until I got to Searby (west of Brigg) when National Cycle Route 1 went down a bridleway, which was basically a very very rough series of fields. I managed to get down them but not suitable at all and to be part of the national cycle route it was pretty shoddy. The plus point though was it went right under the flight path for Humberside Airport so I saw a couple of planes coming into land.

10 miles or so from the Humber Bridge my wonderful OS mapping disappeared off my GPS and I was left to follow a snail trail - okay out in the countryside, useless in built up areas.

By the time I had found my sisters house I'd bagged 126 miles and day 1 of 3 was at an end

https://www.strava.com/activities/1185212628

Saturday

I woke to wind and rain and set off at around 7:45 to ride 28 miles to the 10am meet for the forum ride. I'd decided before going up to Hull that I wanted to do a hill :wacko: between South Cave and Little Weighton. It would have been enjoyable in the sun, but in the rain it was tough. Anyway I get to the meeting point soaking wet and fed up to see @Pale Rider already there. We both talked about how mad we were thinking of doing the ride but by the time @EasyPeez had turned up the rain had subsided (it might have even briefly stopped :rolleyes:) and we set off.

The Forum Ride:
The first 25ish miles were pretty good, yes it was raining, I was soaked through, but the wind was behind us and the other two were great company. We stopped at a small coffee shop in Patrington about 16 miles in for some respite from the weather before cracking on to Spurn Point. I spent a bit of my childhood at Spurn so it was great to see the place all these years later. After a natter on the point we turned back into the wind and the rain and had a gruelling 12 miles of riding to Withernsea.

At Withernsea we stopped at a chippy were hot drinks and food were consumed before heading back inland (no headwind ^_^)

We stopped at Hedon for a breather before the last few miles back to the start point and we all agreed to meet at the Humber Bridge at 8am on the Sunday morning and go for a brief ride South before I continued South and the other two turned back north.. @EasyPeez and myself said goodbye to @Pale Rider and we headed back towards Hull were @EasyPeez took me on a fantastic route back via the docks and marina to get me to the west of Hull. We went right alongside the Seimens site were they make off shore wind turbines, the place was massive and so were the turbine blades.

We parted company along Anlaby Road and I headed through Swanland and Welton before getting back to my sisters where I dumped all my wet kit in her garage

103 miles done and day 2 of three was complete

https://www.strava.com/activities/1186941095

Sunday

The forecast for Sunday was Northerly winds and sunny, with rain forecast around 14:00 when I woke up, looked out the window and thought bloody hell it's raining again, put my specs on and realised it wasn't, but it was very misty.

Out the door about 7:30 to ride the 5 miles or so to the Humber Bridge and the three of us set off, me still with no decent mapping on the GPS. I'd decided to ditch the original route I had planned for today and ride Fridays route in reverse with the big possibility of catching the train at Lincoln back to Leicester. The only variation to the original route was I wasn't going to do the bridleway. but dog leg around it.

At some point my mapping reappeared and I realised it was due to me not having the OS map data for around Hull, the GPS was working fine

After a couple of wrong turns and 15 miles of riding in some pretty dense mist it was time to part ways.

After a few more miles the mist was lifting and with the wind behind me I started to make some good time. By the time I was at Lincoln the sun was shining and there was no way I was going to catch the train :laugh:

I stopped at Newark to grab a drink and sandwich and consumed them alongside a fishing lake enjoying the warmth and sun :sun:

I'd worked out that I would be at Nice Pie cafe which is circa 20 miles from home around 15:00 so I planned to stop for a coffee and cake, however at around 14:30 the rain eventually arrived and boy did it rain, and then it rained heavier and heavier until the rain stopped and was replaced by hailstone. I was completely drenched, It was like I had jumped in a lake, this rain and hail lasted for a good six or seven miles, thoroughly unpleasant. I was that wet I decided I couldn't go into the cafe so plodded on, it was that bad I would have called the back up team to pick me up, but she was with number one son so couldn't call her in :rolleyes:

By the time I got to the outskirts of Leicester the sun was back out and with taking a slightly different route to Friday finished on 127 miles. Mini tour completed just over 350 miles in three days and a drenching on all three days :becool:

I would do it again though :laugh:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1188667326

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Today

Day off work to recover from the weekends riding. I decided to do a shorter ride today so I didn't stiffen up and to also put off cleaning the bike :laugh:

There was one square near Bedworth I needed to get 31x31 on the Veloviewer explorer square so decided to head out that way and get it. Looked on cafe network and found a cafe near the square.

Route was pretty much south and then west, 28 miles to the cafe (Astley Book Farm) which is a great stop, does hot drinks and cakes and 24 miles back. Wind was light and I had no rain, a great ride ^_^

Got home and cleaned the bike, back to work tomorrow :sad:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1189772641

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After a break on the Wednesday for Doug and Gav to go climbing trees, we resumed the rides in some much improved weather on the Thursday.

The plan this time was to head for lunch at The Britannia in Elterwater then a ride up Great Langdale and back.

We headed out of Hawkshead and up to Barngates for the third time this week, feeling glad we aere on bicycles as we didn't get held up by the coach struggling along roads way too narrow for it.

We carried on past the pub and down to Skelwith Fold where the view to the Langdales is always fabulous. A car came past here and following it down the hill I was easily able to keep up all the way to Skelwith Bridge. The wind was quite strong today and it made itself felt on the gentle climb to Elterwater. Doug and Gav's treetop adventures yesterday may have had something to do with taking it a little slower of course.:whistle:

We got to the Britannia in good time and enjoyed lunch (a Cumberland sausage bap with onion marmalade in my case) before riding through Chapel Stile and up Great Langdale, still against the wind.

At the top of the valley I parted from Doug and Gav temporarily. They were riding back to Elterwater while I headed up the pass to Blea Tarn and over to Little Langdale. This is a good climb even for a seasoned cyclist so I didn't rush. I was slightly disappointed not to make it in one go as I needed to pause and let a car through on one of the hairpin bends.

Over the top I had a great descent before pressing on as quick as possible along Little Langdale to meet up with Doug and Gav again. I got a compliment about the bell from a couple of walkers and a cyclist riding in the other direction said "I'm still smiling now" as he passed - heading for Wrynose I'm guessing.;)

After meeting the others back at Elterwater (I'd kept them waiting for 17 minutes) we headed back up to Skelwith Fold where I'd suggested an alternative route along Bog Lane. After an energetic few days I thought they'd want to go the most direct way but they chose to take my suggestion instead.

At the end of Bog Lane we were onto the fairly new off road paths again. These are great at getting you off the busy roads but are quite undulating with some surprisingly steep bits which can catch you out if you aren't quick with the gear changes. It's quite entertaining riding though.:okay:

Near to Low Wray we found a new route we didn't know about which goes across country to Hawkshead. It's worth it for the scenery which you wouldn't see from a car but there was one hill that was properly steep. As you go further along it also has loads of gates that have to be stopped for. A great path but it's not for those in a hurry.

Getting to Hawkshead we needed to grab a couple of things from the shop. While stopped outside I saw the opportunity to get a photo but a van came and parked in front of me just as I had found the angle I wanted.:rolleyes:

24.3 miles at 9.5 mph average with 28.6 mph maximum.

DSC0005109.jpg

Taking in the view from Skelwith Fold.

DSC0005111.jpg

At The Britannia.

DSC0005114.jpg

Great Langdale.

DSC0005116.jpg

On my own for a bit and about to tackle the climb to Blea Tarn.

DSC0005119.jpg

Made it and there is the tarn.

DSC0005121.jpg

View over the other side into Little Langdale.

DSC0005122.jpg

Entertaining off road paths.

DSC0005123.jpg

Into new territory for us.

DSC0005124.jpg

Meeting the locals.

DSC0005126.jpg

View from the top of the last big climb of the day. Blelham Tarn is in the background.

13 rider

Guru

Someone a while ago started a thread about Spurn Point and amongst the posts @Pale Rider mentioned he and @EasyPeez would soon be riding to it and I expressed an interest in tagging along. They decided on this Saturday just gone. I had originally planned on driving up on the Saturday morning, doing the ride and then riding back home. However, last week (or the week before) number one son decided he wanted to go back to Uni this weekend so I couldn't have the car.

Therefore I decided to ride up and ride back and make a mini tour of it. I called my sister and bagged a bed for a couple of nights ^_^ went to the bike shop and got a seat post bag so I didn't need to use a rucksack and got planning the routes. Whilst planning the routes, which I normally do on Strava, I was reading another thread and @Littgull mentioned a planning site called cycle.travel which plotted routes on the quieter roads. So I decided to use that for the ride up.

The overall plan was 125 miles up to Brough (from Leicester) on the Friday, 100 miles on the Saturday, including the forum ride of 50-55 miles and then 113 miles back to Leicester on the Sunday :ohmy: I did have bail out options for the first 70 miles on the Friday and the last 70 miles on the Sunday as I could use the train between Leicester and Lincoln if need be.

Anyway onto the rides:

Friday

I set off at around 6:45 and more or less immediately it started raining, nothing heavy just a constant but light drizzle. The first 20 miles or so through familiar roads up to Old Dalby and down into the Vale of Belvoir.

Between Kinoulton and Owthorpe the route took me off road and down a short tow path alongside a disused canal. a bit rough but the bike handled it fine.

Around 4 or 5 miles outside of Newark I went onto what I think must have been a disuse railway which took me right into Newark, very well surfaced and a fantastic way to get into Newark. From Newark to Lincoln I saw hardly any cars and the last 6 or 7 miles to Lincoln were again on off road cycle paths - again great surfaces and took me right into Lincoln.

At Lincoln I had to go up the hill to the Cathedral, now I didn't go up the cobbled Steep Hill but did a heart attack enducing tarmac road that ran around it. After this it was Route 1 all the way to the Humber Bridge.

I stopped at Scothern for a coffee and a bit of cake and was really impressed with the route I was on until I got to Searby (west of Brigg) when National Cycle Route 1 went down a bridleway, which was basically a very very rough series of fields. I managed to get down them but not suitable at all and to be part of the national cycle route it was pretty shoddy. The plus point though was it went right under the flight path for Humberside Airport so I saw a couple of planes coming into land.

10 miles or so from the Humber Bridge my wonderful OS mapping disappeared off my GPS and I was left to follow a snail trail - okay out in the countryside, useless in built up areas.

By the time I had found my sisters house I'd bagged 126 miles and day 1 of 3 was at an end

Saturday

I woke to wind and rain and set off at around 7:45 to ride 28 miles to the 10am meet for the forum ride. I'd decided before going up to Hull that I wanted to do a hill :wacko: between South Cave and Little Weighton. It would have been enjoyable in the sun, but in the rain it was tough. Anyway I get to the meeting point soaking wet and fed up to see @Pale Rider already there. We both talked about how mad we were thinking of doing the ride but by the time @EasyPeez had turned up the rain had subsided (it might have even briefly stopped :rolleyes:) and we set off.

The Forum Ride:
The first 25ish miles were pretty good, yes it was raining, I was soaked through, but the wind was behind us and the other two were great company. We stopped at a small coffee shop in Patrington about 16 miles in for some respite from the weather before cracking on to Spurn Point. I spent a bit of my childhood at Spurn so it was great to see the place all these years later. After a natter on the point we turned back into the wind and the rain and had a gruelling 12 miles of riding to Withernsea.

At Withernsea we stopped at a chippy were hot drinks and food were consumed before heading back inland (no headwind ^_^)

We stopped at Hedon for a breather before the last few miles back to the start point and we all agreed to meet at the Humber Bridge at 8am on the Sunday morning and go for a brief ride South before I continued South and the other two turned back north.. @EasyPeez and myself said goodbye to @Pale Rider and we headed back towards Hull were @EasyPeez took me on a fantastic route back via the docks and marina to get me to the west of Hull. We went right alongside the Seimens site were they make off shore wind turbines, the place was massive and so were the turbine blades.

We parted company along Anlaby Road and I headed through Swanland and Welton before getting back to my sisters where I dumped all my wet kit in her garage

Sunday

The forecast for Sunday was Northerly winds and sunny, with rain forecast around 14:00 when I woke up, looked out the window and thought bloody hell it's raining again, put my specs on and realised it wasn't, but it was very misty.

Out the door about 7:30 to ride the 5 miles or so to the Humber Bridge and the three of us set off, me still with no decent mapping on the GPS. I'd decided to ditch the original route I had planned for today and ride Fridays route in reverse with the big possibility of catching the train at Lincoln back to Leicester. The only variation to the original route was I wasn't going to do the bridleway. but dog leg around it.

At some point my mapping reappeared and I realised it was due to me not having the OS map data for around Hull, the GPS was working fine

After a couple of wrong turns and 15 miles of riding in some pretty dense mist it was time to part ways.

After a few more miles the mist was lifting and with the wind behind me I started to make some good time. By the time I was at Lincoln the sun was shining and there was no way I was going to catch the train :laugh:

I stopped at Newark to grab a drink and sandwich and consumed them alongside a fishing lake enjoying the warmth and sun :sun:

I'd worked out that I would be at Nice Pie cafe which is circa 20 miles from home around 15:00 so I planned to stop for a coffee and cake, however at around 14:30 the rain eventually arrived and boy did it rain, and then it rained heavier and heavier until the rain stopped and was replaced by hailstone. I was completely drenched, It was like I had jumped in a lake, this rain and hail lasted for a good six or seven miles, thoroughly unpleasant. I was that wet I decided I couldn't go into the cafe so plodded on, it was that bad I would have called the back up team to pick me up, but she was with number one son so couldn't call her in :rolleyes:

By the time I got to the outskirts of Leicester the sun was back out and with taking a slightly different route to Friday finished on 127 miles. Mini tour completed just over 350 miles in three days and a drenching on all three days :becool:

Im quite glad I couldn't get Friday off otherwise I would have probably tagged along

Old jon

Guru
Monday muddling again. I knew I would be riding the fixed, but could not settle on a route, or even a direction. Resorted to eenie meeny miny mo, or something similar, to the great amusement of some folk waiting for a bus . . .

So, the towpath to Viaduct Road after hurtling round Holbeck to find Office Lock. The ride from Kirkstall Road to Headingley was no harder than usual and the same could be said for the rest of the climb to the Ring Road. It may well almost be time to raise the gearing by one tooth. Turn right onto St Helen’s Lane, left onto Adel Lane and straight on when the road becomes Church Lane. Across Adel Dam, the climb out of the dip was almost easy. Then the penny dropped, a tailwind!! A mile or so further on and the left turn ( onto Arthington Road? ) to the top of Kings Road and left down to the roundabout at Bramhope showed the wind situation a little clearer. Anyroadup, turn right and pedal along the A 660 to the Dyneley Arms and turn right again for Pool Bank. And the hollow in the road that unclipped my left foot at better than 25 mph ( I was too busy to check ) and gave me the interesting experience of pedalling one footed while trying to slow down enough to clip the other foot back on the pedal. Sometimes the unexpected can be a good thing.

Rather average from there on, really. Turn right again, onto the A 659, and ride into Otley, which was recovering nicely from its festival weekend. A bit of a meander through the town saw me riding past the bus station, and shouting good morning to a couple of friends who seemed to be shopping. A little more meander and the haul up Leeds Road, back to the Dyneley Arms, past there and through Bramhope.

Ride straight along the A 660, passing Golden Acre Park again on the opposite side to Arthington Road. All the way back to Headingley. One somnolent driver at the first set of lights, beat him / her to the next set and turned right for the descent to Kirkstall and to rejoin the towpath by what was once the Mackeson brewery. Yes, I do remember it, and have fond memories of drinking draught Mackeson . . .

‘Twas the company really. So, towpath again but it could barely be seen for the lunchtime jogging society. I did turn the camera on again, but, you know, joggers. Back on the road at Water Lane, Great Wilson Street and of course schools and colleges are back. A large number of folk about, so turn right as soon as possible, cross both railway line and motorway and make my way home. Just more than 30 miles, a very enjoyable ride, and the weather stayed good. So did the smile on my face.

The inevitable map,

18092017.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The Friday and our last ride of this Lakes holiday. This needed to be a less energetic one (that term being relative riding round here) and we came up with a route going south on the main route to Lakeside initially. We had a northerly wind helping us along and once we got to Graythwaite the gradient was in our favour too.

Gav suggested that I go on ahead as he and Doug knew where they were going and I enjoyed some good fun fast sections. Lakeside was quite crowded with a couple of coaches and a train having turned up and people queueing to board MV Swan. We stuck around to see her depart and were accosted by a group of Chinese tourists who wanted to have their photographs taken with Doug's bike (not the first time something like this has happened but last time it was Japanese tourists).

We were trying out something new this time and after being held up by a coach again, retraced our steps a short way to Low Stott Park and then went on a new-to-us road through Finsthwaite which is a much gentler climb over the hills to the Rusland Valley. The day had warmed up and I shed layers to ride in shorts and t-shirt for the first time this week.

As always, the Rusland valley is nice and quiet as it's well off the tourist trail. I think we only saw two cars until we got to the road for Satterthwaite. Somewhere along here Doug casually mentioned that his brakes hadn't been working for a bit :rolleyes: so I took advantage of a short break to sort that out for him.

Another pub stop was taken at The Eagles Head where we decided to have lunch (steak baps) as well as a pint then once suitably refreshed we tackled the last bit of climbing along the road through Grizedale and back to the house, arriving with just enough spare time to put the bikes away before some heavy showers rolled across.

19.3 miles for this one at 11 mph average and 30.3 mph maximum.

DSC0005127.jpg

Doug crests our first big climb of the day. There are some nice fast downhill bits from here.

DSC0005129.jpg

The view from Lakeside.

DSC0005130.jpg

Looking up the Rusland Valley.

DSC0005132.jpg

Gav at the Eagles Head.

DSC0005134.jpg

Passing the visitor centre in Grizedale.

DSC0005136.jpg

At Moor Top. All downhill from here to the finish.

DSC0005137.jpg

Some showers on the way. We just got back in time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Anyway onto the rides:

Friday

Saturday

The Forum Ride:

Sunday

When we were up against a cross/headwind, we formed what I've heard David Millar on the telly call an echelon.

You were in front doing your Ian 'big diesel engine' Stannard bit, Andy tucked in beside your rear wheel, and I tucked in beside Andy's rear wheel.

When I decided it was time to relieve you at the front, the wind really hit me as I moved forward.

I don't fully understand how echelons work, but from that limited experience there appears to be something in it.

gavgav

Guru
I'm up at the caravan for the 2nd week of my holiday and looking to get a few rides in.

The Met Office forecast for today was dry until 1pm and then 2 hours of rain, with light winds, so I got up and ready to head out, only for it to start pouring with rain at 10am, through until 1pm :wacko: (never believe the forecast up here)

Dad travelled up this morning and arrived just after lunch, so we had a chat and I then decided to head out on the bike at 3pm, when it had finally dried up, but the wind had really picked up and it was bloomin cold :cold:

Set out with the intention of heading up to Cwm Buchan, out from the caravan site into Dyffryn, where I proceeded to get lost already and realised I had taken the wrong road out of the site, that I'd intended to use :rolleyes:! This meant I had to mix it on the main road with the school picking up traffic and on a narrow section that wasn't any fun at all.

Eventually reached the lane I wanted and began the very steep climb up towards the NCN route 8, which would take me over picturesque farm land. I went through the first gate, to be met by cows with calves (always a dangerous combination) and as I passed them I then found a Bull in the road :eek:. I wasn't chancing that and so doubled back and kept climbing up and up and up to Caerffynnon.

This had taken me a long way out of the direction I had wanted to be going in and with the wind howling I decided to give up on Cwm Buchan and just explore the lanes up to Moelfre. The views both of the mountain and back down to the coast were well worth the climbing (best part of 800 ft in a couple of miles)
IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

I explored a bit and then decided to head back down the steep descent to Dyffryn and up to Talybont, then down to the beach via the more commercial caravan sites that sit on that road.

I passed a field of Alpacas and mini horses, which provided some amusement for a few minutes.

It was then back up to the main road and down to our site, against the wind all the way back, which made it slower than normal.

14.6 miles with 989ft of climbing at 10.9mph avg (almost as bad as my Lake District speed!!)

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's been some time since I've posted in Your Ride, but I thought you all might want to see the results of me misjudging the weather forecast today. It may have rained .... :whistle:

View attachment 374178
Welcome back Jon, I think we may have unknowingly met on a Bucklesham back road a few weeks ago waiting for oncoming traffic to pass - it was only once you'd let me go on ahead I had the "was that..." moment.

You weren't the only one to get caught out by the Suffolk showers today. When I finally got out this afternoon for a quick 20 miler loop around Levington, Nacton and Bucklesham it was constant drizzle with heavy rain showers mixed in. Somewhere in the last 3 miles I felt the rear tyre going soft, but it held out until I got home where the conditions helped as air bubbles were forming on the wet tyre around the culprit.
Bastard.JPG
https://www.strava.com/activities/1190305646

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Gorgeous if somewhat breezy here today with some rather dark clouds on the horizon, but i couldn't miss the opportunity to get out as the rest of the week doesn't look too promising. Very warm in the shade though and it didn't rain so that's always a plus. Quite a bit of traffic about tday, and i saw 3 cyclists :eek:. The farmers have been cutting the hedges thank god. It was also quite muddy in places, and that gve me a couple of scares, when my bike nearly slid from under me. :laugh:. 18 very pleasant miles done.
20170919_122350.jpg
20170919_113326.jpg
20170919_113458.jpg
20170919_113630.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Awoke to glorious sunny cloudless skies in North Wales, even warm enough to fetch the shorts out again, as I embarked on what is my favourite ride.

Took the main road down to Barmouth, with glorious views over the bay, down the seafront and around to the Harbour, where I took a photo of the bridge I was about to cross.
IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

Crossed Barmouth Bridge and then up the Mawddach Trail, which sparkled in the sunshine and the Autumnal Leaves that were in full view.
IMG_0286.JPG

It was busy with walkers and cyclists, all very friendly and exchanging conversation as to how wonderful the day was.

Stopped at Dolgellau for a quick snack, through the town and then up the long Bondaleb climb, 6 miles of it and 800+ft of climbing, which rivals anything I did in the Lake District last week for difficulty.

Arrived at Cregennan Lake, which is one of my favourite spots in the UK, peaceful and relaxing, which enabled me to have a few minutes thinking of my grandad, whose birthday it would have been today.

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

After lunch, I began the long descent to Arthog, with another set of cows with calves to contend with! Seemed much more a relaxed bunch than yesterday's and more interested in basking in the sunshine than me.

There is a fast downhill section on the main road and then back to the Mawddach Trail, for a short section and re-tracing my steps back to the caravan.

33.0 miles, 2110 ft of climbing at 11.1mph avg

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Awoke to glorious sunny cloudless skies in North Wales, even warm enough to fetch the shorts out again, as I embarked on what is my favourite ride.

Took the main road down to Barmouth, with glorious views over the bay, down the seafront and around to the Harbour, where I took a photo of the bridge I was about to cross.
View attachment 374317
View attachment 374318

Crossed Barmouth Bridge and then up the Mawddach Trail, which sparkled in the sunshine and the Autumnal Leaves that were in full view.
View attachment 374319
It was busy with walkers and cyclists, all very friendly and exchanging conversation as to how wonderful the day was.

Stopped at Dolgellau for a quick snack, through the town and then up the long Bondaleb climb, 6 miles of it and 800+ft of climbing, which rivals anything I did in the Lake District last well for difficulty.

Arrived at Cregennan Lake, which is one of my favourite spots in the UK, peaceful and relaxing, which enabled me to have a few minutes thinking of my grandad, whose birthday it would have been today.

View attachment 374320
View attachment 374321
View attachment 374322

After lunch, I began the long descent to Arthog, with another set of cows with calves to contend with! Seemed much more a relaxed bunch than yesterday's and more interested in basking in the sunshine than me.

There is a fast downhill section on the main road and then back to the Mawddach Trail, for a short section and re-tracing my steps back to the caravan.

33.0 miles, 2110 ft of climbing at 11.1mph avg

I was in Barmouth a couple of weeks ago. I quite fancy doing the Mawddach trail.

Top Bottom