Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
100k ride
A couple of mates, John, Dave & myself, set off at 9 this morning. John had plotted the route, out towards Milton Keynes and back. It was damp cold & grey, but a long sleeve top, leg warmers & my wool cycling cap meant I was toasty warm in the drizzle. I prefer weather like this to blazing sun, autumn is my favourite time of year to be on the bike. A lovely mix of rolling B roads & quiet country lanes made for a great ride

68 miles at 17 mph average

Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 15.02.29.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 15.02.49.png

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Take note of my spangly, new Carradice Barley that my tourer borrowed for the afternoon from my Audax bike. The cheek! But how else would I fit my emergency tea bags in? (Salsa Cowbells turning sticks up front too. Comfy)

IMG_0911.PNG
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another let down from the Met Office (and other forecasters), as the plan was to get out this morning before the rains hit at lunchtime.

So you can imagine my surprise as the heavens opened as I wheeled the bike to the gate just before 9am...:rolleyes:
Back in the house for 20 minutes until it seemed to have stopped, and back out with what seemed to be a brightening sky.
Half a mile later I stopped at the side of the road to put my showerproof jacket on...:rolleyes:

Carried on up Coal Road, wondering if I should push on and decided that I was out and it wasn't too bad.
Right onto Skeltons Lane, thinking I'd make a decision at the T-junction and by the time I arrived there the rain had all but stopped so I turned left and headed down Sandhills into Thorner.
Sandhills is a fairly fast if lumpy descent into the village over the best part of a mile. However today I had the wind in my face and about a third of the way down the hill the rain started again and got progressively worse, until as I arrived on Main Street it was what meteorologists call "stair rods" and there was standing water seemingly everywhere. :rain:

At this point I decided enough was enough and did a U-turn. Back up Sandhills, this time with the wind at my back which at least kept the worst of the rain out of my face and along Skeltons Lane onto Coal Road with no let up in the weather.
Onto local roads for what is usually a quickish and very gradually downhill stretch towards home, very nearly getting left hooked by a Volvo driver :dry: about half way down
As I approached our street the rain had backed right off, so I carried on down the hill thinking I might head off again, but when I got about a mile from home the heavens opened again so that really was enough and I looped round for home.

9.14 miles (14.7km) in 39m at an average of 14.4mph with just 357ft climbed

Well, at least I got out and by the law of sod, within half an hour of getting home the sun was out. That said it's been a constant mix of sunshine and showers all day and as I type this it's thundering and lightening.

Sorry no pics today as I don't have a waterproof camera, but to make up for that here is a map...
17092017.JPG

I've been struggling to find the motivation to ride over the last couple of weeks. It's all likely due to the end of my little tour, sprained wrist and the inclement weather. Still, the hunting of veloviewer squares is keeping me going for now.

There are only so many routes one can take away from home so they inevitably get tedious. That said, I headed on the commuting route to Melbourne and then through Ticknall and Repton. From here I popped to Etwall to tick off a square and then headed north. Found some lovely small roads but was nearly taken out by an uncaring driver as I moved to avoid a dog. One of these roads was basically a mudfield following the recent rain causing me to walk a little as there was just no traction!

Had a lovely descent toward Markeaton park and the 2-3 miles of crossing the Derby conurbation. Through Darley Abbey and then a long climb to Morleymorleyside and some lovely views of the South Derby hills. Hurtled down a hill and managed to turn right at some lights only to be confronted by a steep but short climb. This was on a rolling A-Road which led me to the 42mile stopping point at an old brick kiln which is now a cafe in West Hallam. A little posh for a cyclist normally but the food was sublime; artisan breads and scones!

Following a short stop (for me!), I headed south with the wind on my back toward Ratcliffe power station and rejoining the home leg of my commute. Had to avoid the road through Normanton which is being resurfaced at long last! Its long overdue and should result in a much nicer ride home!

Got home feeling surprisingly good with 66 miles in the legs. Happy to be out but still lacking motivation.

13 rider

Guru
Out again this morning target 2nd 100km ride of the weekend after yesterday's efforts . Heading out beyond Market Bosworth and crossing the A5 to bag some veloviewer square which is becoming harder today's first new square was 25 miles away . Slightly chilly at 0900 but still in shorts short sleeves and arm warmers just enough to keep the chill out . Anstey ,Groby ,Ratby ,Botcheston ,Market Bosworth ,Cadeby the long drag of Fenn lane to Atterton and Witherley and finally some new road and squares at Grendon over the A5 and up a long hill out of Badderly Endsor which I wasnt expecting :surrender: Bit of rolling terrain around the back of Atherstone for some new roads and squares . Back over the A5 to Fenny Drayton then back to the A5 down the cycle path to Higham on the hill . Back on familiar roads heading home . Stoke Golding ,Dadlington ,Cadeby ,Kirby Mallory ,Peckleton ,Desford ,Ratby ,Groby and home . 62.6 miles in the bag and back to back 100 km rides and another 200 mile week . Definitely autumnal out there arm warmers finally came off 5 miles from home

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Metric Century a Month time again. Went out on this club ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/16359292

(having started early and already put in 11 miles out to Standish and back, and with another 14 miles added on at the end).

63 miles (101.4km) done today, including a couple of proper hills. Took me exactly 5 1/2 hours (including stops), which is close to a PB for me. It was tough riding past my own front door, already aching and with 14 miles still to go. Bumped into a couple of clubmates (who had opted for the long way home) coming the other way. Soon after that, @gordyfinbar and another of our intermediates came past in the opposite direction too, just as I winched myself up a short but punchy little hill in Elmore .... which felt three times as steep as usual today! I know every inch of those lanes along the Severn, and I turned around at Framilode as soon as I knew I was 7 miles from home. Anyway, mission accomplished. Tired and aching, but still in the game. That's 33 consecutive months with a metric ton now.

Wish I'd taken my camera with me, as I came across a great collection of vintage tractors ... 22 of them ... parked up along the waterfront outside the Anchor Inn at Epney. I chuckled inwardly at the thought of some of the cars that had given us close passes earlier on getting caught up behind that lot down the lanes.

I'm going to ache tomorrow. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Started off in the sunshine, but the weather soon clouded over and cooled down. A quick 20 miler from Barnet out through Potters Bar to Welham Green, Colney Heath, London Colney, Back past the RSPCA re homing kennels at Ridge and then to the the Mitre Inn for a couple of pints before dodging the rain.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
3 rides for me today:smile: I'm training next week, so needed to scope out the commute as it's unfamiliar territory to me. Turns out it's a nice simple one to Slough and a bit longer than normal which is nice. 24 miles in the bag.
My lad wanted to go out when I got home, so a hilly little 6 miles with him on the MTB's out the back of Prune Hill and a great if muddy descent into Stroud wore him out.
Last but no least, popped into Egham for a few bits. Student chaos as I'd forgotten it was first week for them at Royal Holloway.

I think the climbing challenge has to go out the window as had a few days off, but will keep plodding up the hills as they do seem to be getting that little bit easier.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Met office in its usual jam tomorrow/ in two hours mode so I gave up waiting for the promised sunshine and headed out into a northerly wind. After getting a bit damp from wet roads it did appear to be getting brighter further north so I decided to brave the A7 for three miles before turning south over the Granites.
IMG_20170917_154849.jpg

A capital view - Edinburgh in the distance.
Aided by what was now a tailwind I made it to Innerleithen in record time and stopped for one of Caldwell's famous ice creams. They must be very fattening as jumping back on the bike resulted in a bang like a gunshot as one of my driveside spokes couldn't handle the extra weight or my ice cream enhanced power.
After guddling around with a spoke key for five minutes the wheel was turning again which left me with 15 miles to home in limp mode.
The promised sunshine had never materialised at home, instead the last two miles were done in pissing rain. 52 miles at 15.4 mph.

Katherine

Guru
I have had a good ribbing today for the amount of times I changed my outer clothing on our ride today, varying from jersey and : gilet/ gilet and rain jacket/ rain jacket/ just jersey!

54.5mi Distance. 4:26:34 Moving Time. 3,681ft Elevation.

Avg Speed 12.3mi/h Max Speed 30.9mi/h Elapsed Time 5:37:17

I went on the club B ride to The Last Drop Cafe in Edenfield which has enough hills but we went via Sheephouse Lane between Rivington and Belmont for extra madness and to practice for next week's Tour de Bolton.

2017-09-17.png

Rochdale ride.jpg

Lots of stone walls, sheep, dark clouds, more stone walls and sheep, quite a few windmills, some exhilerating descents and tough climbs.
I inhaled a packet of crisps as soon as we walked in the door of the cafe whilst we placed our order of coffee and in my case rhubarb and frangipan tart.

3 rides for me today:smile: I'm training next week, so needed to scope out the commute as it's unfamiliar territory to me. Turns out it's a nice simple one to Slough and a bit longer than normal which is nice. 24 miles in the bag.
My lad wanted to go out when I got home, so a hilly little 6 miles with him on the MTB's out the back of Prune Hill and a great if muddy descent into Stroud wore him out.
Last but no least, popped into Egham for a few bits. Student chaos as I'd forgotten it was first week for them at Royal Holloway.

I think the climbing challenge has to go out the window as had a few days off, but will keep plodding up the hills as they do seem to be getting that little bit easier.
Yes I have definitely found that
I did loads of hills last two years
Think I have more leg strength now
You do gradually build up

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My rides last week: Not having had my own internet access and having had to do a lot of catching up when I got back on I've only just been able to sit and write these up.

As @gavgav has already mentioned, we've been up to the Lake District along with my brother and against all expectation had enough dryish days to get a few rides in.

We were staying near Hawkshead this time which was a nice change and all rides started from there.

For the first ride we headed up to Barngates, Hawkshead Hill, the eastern shore of Coniston Water then Spark Bridge, Bouth, Newby Bridge and back to Hawkshead through Graythwaite.

The Sunday had been a complete washout and Monday was expected to bring us more in the way of showers so waterproofs were taken but I forgot about my gloves until after we'd set off. The roads were awash from the previous rainfall so the bikes didn't stay clean very long and I really appreciated my bike being in full commuter trip with long mudflaps.

Only a mile into the ride, Gav was finding his gears all over the place so a stop to sort it out was needed. All sorted with a bit of a tweak and it behaved thereafter but I couldn't see any reason for it having gone out of adjustment like that.

We all made some good progress up the hills and then at High Cross we could see the showers marching up the valley towards us. Jackets went on straight away followed shortly after by waterproof trousers when the rain turned out to be quite heavy.

En route to Brantwood a coach came up behind us and we pulled in to let them past but the driver wasn't happy with that and was gesturing to get out of the way. We therefore carried on which turned out to be for the best as he was held up by a car that came the other way. We never saw him again.

A lunch stop was taken with a view towards Lowick Green then we carried on to Spark Bridge where the next lot of climbing began. Doug got on well having got some food inside him and was pulling away from Gav and I up the hill.

Having passed Bouth I was catching up with Doug and Gav after stopping for a photo when I could see them by a junction pointing at something. I thought they were wondering which way to go but Gav was pointing out a large bird that I completely failed to notice.:blush:

The next climb was quite taxing and both Gav and Doug were flagging a little so it was nice to drop down to Newby Bridge and take a break at The Swan Hotel where the rain held off while we sat outside with our pints.

The direct way back is quite undulating and mostly climbs as far as Graythwaite so wasn't quick and finishes with a steep climb to the house meaning we were all glad to stop.

29 miles for the day at 10.4 mph average and a 28.9 mph top speed (love the downhill bits :okay:)

DSC0005059.jpg

On our way.

DSC0005061.jpg

The view from Barngates.

DSC0005062.jpg

Top of Hawkshead Hill.

DSC0005065.jpg

Showers over Coniston.

DSC0005066.jpg

Gondola steams up the lake.

DSC0005068.jpg

Lunch stop view.

DSC0005071.jpg

Newby Bridge

DSC0005074.jpg

Pints at The Swan.

DSC0005080.jpg

Back at the cottage. Yes, it came with a waterfall in the garden.

Last edited:
Top Bottom