Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Ride number 2 of the holiday. Talk last night, in the pub, was for something slightly less taxing today.......hmmmmmmm.

Forecast was a bit better today, with less showers around and whilst we did get caught in a few, they were lighter than yesterday. We set off from the house, in the direction of Grizedale Forest, with the first bit being straight up 500 ft in a mile, which was hard going on cold legs.

We turned into the forest for some off roading fun on the well maintained tracks, deciding to take the Orange waymarked route. It's mostly uphill to start, and as you reach the highest point there are some fabulous views over the Lake District.
IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

The descent to the Grizedale Visitor Centre is well worth all of the climbing and we stopped there for lunch in some pleasantly warm sunshine, before some rain rolled in and cooled things down a bit.

Back onto the roads, there was a nice quicker section down to Satterthwaite and Rusland, before we turned up towards Thwaite Head. At the crossroads we had a choice of 2 routes up to Graythwaite, both would be a climb, one longer without a gradient arrow, the shorter one with a gradient arrow. We went for the shorter one..........and began the steep climbing, which went on and on and on and on and.....well we arrived at the top, finally, absolutely shattered!! Even as Lake District climbs go, this was a killer and deserved a double gradient arrow for me!:surrender:

After a pause to get some oxygen back into us, we had the nice fast descent to Graythwaite itself, pausing at Green Hows Tarn for a photo on the way down

@Rickshaw Phil and Doug posing for a shot
IMG_0243.JPG

We turned briefly onto the same busy road that wasn't much fun yesterday, but only for a short distance and then it was smaller lanes towards the Windermere shore and High Cunsey. Our intention there was to take the direct route to the Ferry House, but we came across a road closed and diversion sign :rolleyes:. Phil decided to press on ahead and see if there was room for bikes to get through. He arrived back in about 5 minutes and informed us the road was properly closed and not passable! We therefore had to take the hillier route up to Far Sawrey and then drop down to the shoreline.
IMG_0244.JPG

We then followed the off road path along the Windermere shoreline to Wray Castle, up and down and very busy with walkers, which meant a fair amount of bell use was required. We climbed back to the road and then onto some more gravel paths to Pull Wyke.

The final hard climb of the day followed, but at the end of it there was the enticement of The Drunken Duck Inn, which was duly stopped at and a lovely pint of Tag Lag was enjoyed.
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG

The final stint was over to Outgate and back to Hawkshead, pausing at the Co-Op for some supplies.

Not quite sure where the easier ride went, as we ended up doing 27.1 miles but 2989 ft of climbing.

Good fun though and a day off tomorrow for what, Aileen permitting, will be playing in the trees on the Go Ape course.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Not very exciting but rode to this spot to place a new cache

cache 02.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I set off paralleling the coast but inland on lovely lanes. We dodged the traffic in Pwllheli using tiny lanes. Some had lush grass growing up the middle. Again we dodged Criccieth in the lanes to loop towards Cwm Pennant where we had stayed not long ago. Then heading for Llanaelhaearn we stopped on a lovely river bridge for our picnic. Underway again there was some hope for a cafe in Llanaelhaearn which was ill founded. Now we climbed steeply below the Iron Age Hill Fort of Tre'r Ceiri into quite a stiff headwind. Mrs 26 wasn't too happy I'm afraid. But we dropped away into calmer country for Boduan before a bit of a surprise climb onto the slopes of Carn Saethon. With the promised deluge now looking close we dropped away to arrive back still dry. All good for sure. 54 smiles.

As last ride was cut short really wanted a longer ride today (should've got out yesterday!)
However occasional showers some heavy forecast and there was still a bit of wind

So decided on a shorter ride, took the Kona insted of the Enigma in case of heavy rain (though guards not fitted yet)

Went to Windsor via Wraysbury and Datchet, and turned off towards Ascot before getting into Windsor.
at the top of the hill I turned into the park, doverted via Dark Wood andcame out at the usual Bishopsgate Entrance.
Then across the A30 at Englefield Green, and a small diversion down to Thorpe and then back home

25.34 miles done with not a hint of rain, a fair amount of wind but manageable.
16.7 mph
616 feet climbed

Felt at the end as though it was not a hard ride at all.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1181796654

Need to get the guards fitted back on the Kona and fit some 28 mm Conti 4 seasons for when the weather really turns

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A 20 mile day/night ride for me today. The last day of my holiday was coming to an end, so I thought I'd get one last ride in while I could. After charging up my front light to the max, putting new batteries in all my rear lights and packing a spare front light, I went for it in the dusk. By the time I passed the Anchor at Epney, I had my rear lights on. By my turning point, my front light was needed too. After once having a rather nerve-wracking night doing the London to Brighton Overnight ride, when my lights failed me big time, I kept the front light on energy-saving flashing mode until about two miles from home. Once I knew I was going to make it back in the pitch black, I switched to full power, and what a difference.

Thoroughly enjoyed this ride as something completely different. Judging by the careful way all the cars I met got past me, I was clearly well lit up, and when on full power my front light gave me a clear enough view of the first 6 to 10 feet of road ahead of me .... which was just enough to avoid potholes, though meant riding slower than usual, and if I hadn't known every inch of the road, I'd never have been entirely sure when I was going uphill or on the flat. Lots of unusual noises all around me in the dark. Makes it quite exhilarating. Never knew there were so many owls out there. An interesting experience that makes me fancy doing a proper long night ride again some time soon.

Oh well, back to work tomorrow. Cheers everyone, Donger.

gavgav

Guru
After a day off the bikes yesterday, for some Go-Ape fun in Grizedale, we were back on them today, in lovely sunshine and the best weather of the week so far.

The legs were a little stiff, from yesterday's adventures up trees and so it took a few miles for them to loosen up, as we travelled through Hawkshead, Outgate, Barngates and down to Skelwith Bridge, pausing for a photo of the Langdales en route.
IMG_0248.JPG

We were aiming for Elterwater, specifically to visit the lovely Britannia Inn, which we had quite a hard ride up to, into the brisk wind. A rather bizarre stat, for those that like them, is that I've now done the Strava segment to Elterwater 5 times and on 3 of them I've hit exactly the same time of 4 mins 43 seconds!

The pub was busy, but we managed to get a table, outside in the sunshine, and enjoyed a lovely Cumberland Sausage sandwich and a pint of Neddyboggle :hungry::cheers:
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG

We then pressed on, up the valley into The Langdales, up as far as the road goes, before it climbs over Blea Tarn. @Rickshaw Phil took the pass over the mountain, but Doug and I decided that our legs weren't up to that and instead enjoyed a fast wind assisted ride back down the valley to Chapel Stile and Elterwater. Whilst waiting for Phil to arrive back with us, we met a local inhabitant
IMG_0257.JPG

We set off again and retraced our steps for the steep climb back up towards Barngates, but then I chose a different route back, which would use the off road cycle paths. We had a nice descent down Bog Lane :laugh: and then joined the undulating gravel path, on a section we hadn't used before, from Brathay towards Wray Castle.

It was our initial thought to head all the way to Wray, but we came to a junction and new signed path to Hawkshead, so we chose that one instead. It was a lovely path, through some woods and passing a Nature Reserve
IMG_0259.JPG

We also passed this friendly chap, enjoying the sunshine
IMG_0258.JPG

The path had been a bit up and down, but then we came across one heck of a steep climb over the hill towards Hawkshead, which necessitated a couple of stops to get breath! We made it up though, eventually! :heat:

IMG_0260.JPG

The section back into Hawkshead was flatter, but spoilt slightly by the number of gates we had to negotiate.

After pausing at the Co-Op in Hawkshead, it was back up the hill and home.

22.5 miles, with 1950 ft of climbing

Old jon

Guru
Where to go? How to travel there? Does it matter? There. Pedal. Of course. For some reason, scrambled thought processes were around at the start of the day, as might be obvious. And all the way through Holbeck’s fair village ( definitely scrambled ) the day’s ride was indefinite. Or so.

Decision made, leave Holbeck along Water Lane and then Great Wilson Street, turning left onto Crown Point Road and across the river. A lot of static traffic around although the usual roadworks seemed no larger or busier than usual. All clear once Regent Street is reached, pedal along Roseville Road and turn right onto Roundhay Road for the climb up to the clock at Oakwood. A brisk tailwind helped along here. Keep on past the tradesmen’s gates of Roundhay Park, down the dip and up again and find the tailwind did not help much up Boot Hill. A well timed phone call gave me a convenient rest just as the Ring Road was reached, after a few minutes chat I almost sprinted around the roundabout. Note ‘almost’, the fast word rarely figures in my riding. It is a while since I rode down the hill through Scarcroft, so OK, the A 58 all the way to Wetherby. Pretty good ride really, into Wetherby and past the embankment wall that is still being repaired. Cross the River Wharfe and carry straight on as if riding to the Deightons then turn right onto the B 1224 towards York. No way did I intend to ride that far, past the racecourse roundabout and carry on to the right turn for Walton.

On this road there is little of the village to be seen, and the final left and right to aim for Thorpe Arch uses probably the busiest road in the area. Fairly quiet today when I rode along there and further on to recross the Wharfe on Boston Spa’s narrow bridge. Up to Main Street, turn left and a while later right for Clifford and Bramham. I sometimes forget, what is now a T junction used to be a crossroads, and Thorner was straight on . . .

Navigation remembered, climb anti clockwise around to the flyover and carry on to Thorner. This road always seems to take more effort than it should. One of those long barely rising roads that lets the legs know all about it. Being a glutton for rising roads, I left Thorner by way of Sandhills, very grateful for the level stretch that leads to the end of Skelton’s Lane. Red Hall Lane to the A 58 again, big grin descent of that hill again before the wander around the centre of Leeds, back across the first river I crossed and home. Fine weather, a bit of breeze and the grin still there.

The map may explain something . . .

14092017.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 decided we should pootle. So we paused here and there as we rode easily. Surprisingly perhaps Mrs 26's route took us high up onto Mynydd Rhiw. Lovely up there it is with views all around. We dropped down the 20% to Plas-yn-Rhiw which wasn't the best time for me to lose all the air from my front tyre and thus lose my steering. Puncture fixed and a lovely lunch later we looped back paying a visit to the church at Llangian. 16 smiles

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
On Tuesday, a mate and I (plus his wife and kids) headed over to Wales for us (minus his wife and kids) to pedal around the Marin Trail, now called the Gwydir Mawr Trail.
We met up with a friend who was on holiday nearby and had a day pass from his Mrs to join us for a play..

IMG_3381.JPG

Last time I was there, 2013, we were in danger of getting snowed in so we decided to bale out on 3 miles!

DSC_0179.jpg

IMG_3388.JPG

A bit safer this time! :rolleyes: and as we progressed further round the trail we decided that we'd made the correct choice as it would have got very dodgy :ph34r:

The initial climb up, on tarmac, from the car park in Llanwrst to the start was a leg tester, then once on the trail proper we climbed another 2 miles on a fire road to get to the downhill runs.
The descents are a real blast, with rock strewn single track, sweeping berms and obstacles to avoid every now and then. There are no big drop-offs or nasty surprises, but you still have to be careful as it's easy for it to get a bit too fast on the steeper sections. Even though it was wet, the rocks and ground wasn't particularly slippery so cornering wasn't too bad.
The main climbs were quite tough though, being 2 miles then 1.5 miles, both being Cat 4. the only other longish steep bit was a bit more technical, with switchbacks, roots and rocks to navigate over. All good fun though :whistle:

IMG_3406.JPG

The scenery is stunning, but sometimes it's best to keep an eye on the ground to check the route through the rockery!

IMG_3427.JPG

The 2' steps up from the bridge were the only bit I couldn't/didn't ride.

Wheelie.JPG

I did have to have a play on some of the graded trails though :whistle:

Marin Trail.png

Only 18 ½ miles, but with 2920' of climbing, in decent weather (apart from a few short sharp showers) but with a grin or grimace, depending on whether it was uphill or down!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1180388515

:smile:

Unfortunately, the following days rides were cancelled due to the storm brewing, with 70mph winds and heavy rain showers. No way was I riding up Snowdon in those conditions! Never mind... I'll get back there soon, and in better weather :okay:

Last edited:
Days-Off today/tomorrow
No ride today, as daughter was at College odd-hours, there for 2, home for 2, back for 2, so not enough time really
Not sure what hours she is tomorrow, & if it allows time
Sorry folks, no real report/photographs today - forgot camera

Bike selected; CGR
Weather; sunny (to start with), dry, headwind

I did have a ride up through Leeds, climbing up the A65/Kirkstall Road, & it's a fairly steady drag all the way, up to Rawdon
Turning right, as though I was heading to Yeadon Airport
After passing under the runway extension, it was a left, towards East Chevin (2015 Tour de Yorkshire climbed it), & a fast descent - enough to make eyes stream!!
Got into Otley, to realise l'd not picked up my money bag (old Oakley drawstring glasses bag), so no bun/pot of tea for me
Bugger!!!

After a mooch around, I headed back up Leeds Road, towards Bramhope (the road that clings to the side of Lower Wharfedale
Over 'Pool Crossroads', past Golden Acre Park

Back to Lawnswood roundabout, & back into the centre of Leeds via Headingley & past the University

Home via the same route as my 'out' (from Hunslet Low Road)

The interesting bit, as it was 25+ years ago, when I worked in Leeds, was Bell Hill
If anyone's familiar with that part of Leeds, you'll know what I mean!!
Three lanes
Left lane; M1-North/A1/Pontefract/Oulton
Centre lane; Wakefield & Rothwell
Right lane; M1 South

As usual a few drivers are in the wrong lane, & want to cut across 2 lanes (left to right, or visa-versa)
And..... mine is the centre lane
That said, it's better than it used to be, as the hill itself now has a bus/bike lane
When I commuted it was 2 National speed-limit lanes............... interesting on a wet, dark winters night at 16:00

And, there's a rather nautical sight, a long way from the sea, on Wood Lane
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/507271

Once I got back into Stanley, the roads were streaming, as it turned out that there'd been intermittent (almost) cloudbursts

Back home, for 14:45, out of the door at 15:30 to pick daughter up from College, in an adjacent town

Top Bottom