Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
As my ride reports on here will attest, I tend to do the same rides or variations mainly, I guess, due to comfort and the good mix of climbs and distance I can get in these parts.

I wanted to head out yesterday but the heavy rain meant it was a no-go for me. Today looked reasonable weather until around 4pm so, this morning Mrs Buck gave the nod to me going out on a bike ride.

The weather was a little cool and very windy. I'd planned a ride out that started on familiar roads but would introduce a large chunk in the middle that would be new to me. I'd programmed the route into my Garmin as a safety net which in hindsight was a good move - I'd have definitely missed a few turns without it.

Heading out of the village I realised just how strong the wind was but I was doing the ride regardless. At the Sovereign crossroads I headed straight across and then down the Barnsley Road before taking a left at the Dunkirk and following the nice undulating route through to High Hoyland and then down to Kexbrough before heading up past the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

12 miles in and a right turn at West Bretton saw me head off my usual routes and over the M1 before heading up the climb at Bramley Lane. A momentary wrong turn before a U-turn and heading down towards Newmiller Dam which was very busy despite the weather.

A sharp right turn had me climbing up behind the dam and onto some nice country lanes into Walton followed by 2 or 3 miles of built up areas and main roads before getting back into the countryside and past Anglers Tarn and Wintersett country parks. I could just see Emley Mast in the distance - always my beacon home.

IMG_4524.JPG

In Notton I took a brief stop for a drink and a cereal bar before heading on just as the rain started :sad: As I crossed the A61 and up Warren Lane it resembled a wind tunnel and felt quite a grind getting up the climb. Heading into Staincross it was a long descent (meaning I'd have plenty of climbing later on to get me home!) into Darton avoiding the many speed bumps before a busy section on main roads then back out heading back over the M1 and towards Kexbrough. A left turn then the steady climb up to Cawthorne. Through the village I then joined the Barnsley Road before peeling off up Coach Gate Lane which is another long pull - again wind tunnel territory.

IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4527.JPG

At the top its a right turn past Gunthwaite Hall and farm. On Strava it's name is Cow sh1t sprint - I call it Cow Sh1t Alley - either way I got past the farm covered in the stuff - legs and bike splattered in slurry xx(

IMG_4529.JPG

As I came into Upper Denby I was starting to feel tired and the wind was at its strongest (not surprising as it is very exposed) but the incentive of a coffee at Yummy Yorkshire spurred me on. It was quite nice at this point and I was even able to sit outside whilst I enjoyed the coffee !^_^

IMG_4530.JPG

Not wanting to get too comfortable I was soon up and off over the head of Ingbirchworth reservoir then up Annat Royd Lane towards the windmills. I headed right at the top on the last leg just as the heavens opened so this ended up being a bit of a slog but got home not too wet and the rain had washed off some of the slurry!

A nice hot shower and drink finished off a great if somewhat windy ride.

42.8 miles and 3501ft of climbing.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1177485602
https://www.strava.com/activities/1177485602

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 20.37.29.png

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
I was on my way back today from The CycleChat Oxford Pie-cnic, and stopped in Watlington for a short ride in the Chilterns. I parked the van, got the bike out and set off uphill on a one-mile, bottom gear climb up the escarpment to Christmas Common. I carried on south through Turville and Fingest to Hambleden, another steep climb to Rotten Row and then down into Marlow, which was stupidly congested with cars but has a very attractive crossing over the Thames.

The bridge at Marlow, which reminded me of bridges over the Loire, not to mention the Danube in Budapest
20170910 (2) Marlow.JPG

After a quick coffee here I headed north again, to Frieth, Fingest(again) and up to Stokenchurch. I will remember this ride for the smell of damp woodlands which lined many a climb, until the landscape would open out in clearings like this
20170910 (3) Chilterns nr Fingest.JPG

I criss-crossed the route of @Fab Foodie's ride last February, and kept passing pubs that I'm sure we visited or looked at on that day.
Stokenchurch is on the A40, which is here bypassed by the M40 and on a Sunday morning provides wide, smooth tarmac and hardly a car in sight. The long winding swoop down the northern edge of the Chilterns here is a thing of wonder. At the bottom I turned left, and was soon back in Watlington, 32 miles after starting. It was then time to continue the drive home.

upload_2017-9-10_22-25-40.png

Profile - crossing the Chilterns twice, N-S then S-N.
upload_2017-9-10_22-26-47.png

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A relaxed 16 miler here today along a few usual haunts.

IMG_2247.JPG

Out on the fen near Lode, Cambs, stopped for a brew at the 'wild' campsite. Apparently you can hire these things out for the night. At least I know where to head for when my wife throws me out! Completely deserted today.

IMG_2248.JPG

Reach Lode from the bridge. Gloomy.

IMG_2250.JPG

And looking the other way. Clouds gathering and got a bit damp on the way home.

A steady passage of house martins and a few swallows heading south overhead. I did see an unusual looking wader on Burwell Fen through the binoculars, and a rare sandpiper (pectoral) probably from North America has been reported seen here. I wish my spotting skills were up to confirming that's what I saw but it is possible as was in the right area. I hope it gets back on track some time.

16 or so miles in about 3 hours. Shove that up your Strava!

Bit of an incident on yesterday's club ride

We had just got to New Haw, I was last but one and aware of a black car impatiently revving behind.
These roads are really back roads and not wide
Dropped back to let it through. The car, , sounding rather souped up kept close to the riders and kept revving.
We all turned right (main way into the centre from where we were) people were signalling. The car turned right on the right hand side of the road. Someone asked the driver didn't you see us turning right?
Some remarks were made and the car got in front of the group and kept slowing down.
It then stoppped and when one rider was slowly going past he opened his door. The ride managed to come to a stop closing door with his hand.

I of course hung well back, I think it best not to get involved

People ended up confronting each other.
Then fists were flying. One of our number tried to restrain one. He gott a bloody nose for his efforts
Eventually the car drove off
Someone had called the police

We all waited getting very cold..
Two of the locals hung about as witnesses.
Police eventualy came witnesses names and addresses were taken and they took statements from those who were on the receiving end of punches.

By this time I had had enough so I went home
Think the rest carried on

I did just 22 miles
Rather burnt up the road in frustration and an attempt to get warm
https://www.strava.com/activities/1177008027

I think it would be so easy to keep out of such issues it was frustrating

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

We had just got to New Haw, I was last but one and aware of a black car impatiently revving behind.
Dropped back to let it through. The car, , sounding rather souped up kept close to the riders and kept revving.
We all turned right (main way into the centre from where we were) people were signalling. The car turned right on the right hand side of the road. Someone asked the driver didn't you see us turning right?
Some remarks were made and the car got in front of the group and kept slowing down.
It then stoppped and when one rider was slowly going past he opened his door. The ride managed to come to a stop closing door with his hand.

I of course hung well back, I think it best to get involved

Then fists were flying. One of our number tried to restrain one. He gott a bloody nose for his efforts

Police eventualy came witnesses names and addresses were taken and they took statements from those who were on the receiving end of punches.

I did just 22 miles

I thin it would be so easy to keep out of such issues it was frustrating
Like for getting out. I'm also a fan of avoiding confrontation when riding, but sometimes get the feeling there are drivers out there looking for it.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I usually ride solo, but enter 1 sportive a year to give me some motivation and to get to ride different roads and provide a little variety.

Yesterday was the one for the year, the CW125. Not that I rode 125 miles, I opted for the 40 mile route, mainly because we had a family pub lunch scheduled for 2pm and partly because the 2 longer routes included the ascent of Mow Cop. Unlike 'proper' cyclists I have an aversion to struggling uphill, I also have absolutely no talent for climbing.

The event started and finished at the Oulton Park motor racing track, a good venue as there's lots of parking and decent facilities. The organisers sent us off in small groups to avoid bunching, but because of delays caused by having to wait for cows crossing for morning milking and then crossing a main road an unwieldy number of riders of varying ability were struggling to ride at their pace on the very narrow lanes and it took about 5 miles before the bunch thinned out. Most of the climbing was in the first 20 miles, up to the sandstone hills around Beeston Castle, the 2nd half was mainly a gentle descent which was very much to my liking.

The course was on quiet Cheshire lanes and very well signed, there were few marshalls and they were posted at the junctions with main roads. Unfortunately the weather was chilly and damp and many of the lanes muddy. The previous day I had cleaned my best bike to 'concours d'elegance' standard but it was soon covered in mud.

I had pushed myself harder than I would on a normal solo ride and averaged 15.3 mph, frustrating as the gold standard was 15.5 mph. At the finish there was the offer of timed laps of the motor racing circuit, I rode 1 lap but my legs were protesting and the rain was starting so a single lap was enough.

Just time to drive home, shower and get a lift to the pub where a Sunday roast and a couple of pints went down very well!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

I did just 22 miles

Awful to hear that. I'm not surprised you cut your ride short. Tale care.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

I did just 22 miles

We had similar incident allegedly happen over here, except the fellow ran one of the cyclists off the road and into a ditch, injuring his back.
Problem was, the fellow ran off the road was an attorney.
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/loca...cle_be4e9aeb-6134-5572-a2fc-ef330b798c4f.html

Old jon

Guru
Thirty five point eight miles on the fixed today, I blame the wind for blowing the showers over me but at least it kept me cool. And pedalling hard when the breeze was in my face. There are times when I think the joy of riding with one gear can be slightly exaggerated, today may qualify, though I only went out for the exercise, and the scenery, and the road, all of which I did enjoy.

No second thoughts about the route for today, it had been discussed in the pub last night so I reckoned I had better stick to roughly what I had said. Down Dewsbury Road and on to the Holbeck half of Jack Lane, along there to what was once a library. And, according to an old map I looked at yesterday, it was once the site of some religious building. Mind, that map was hand drawn and had churches and chapels scattered over it like dandruff on some folk’s collars. Anyway, other bits of Holbeck and out along Great Wilson Street for the wind assisted whizz through Hunslet. A distance to go before the scenery becomes lookatable of course. Up to John o’ Gaunts ( another subject of chat in the pub last night ) and turn left for Woodlesford and the descent past the station. Fun on a fixed.

Cross the two waterways, I guess the bridges will not be widened any time soon, and up the rise to Swillington, keep on rising with the road most of the way through the village and beyond. Eventually a drop to the Garforth roundabout. Turn right onto the A 63 for the steeper way out of Garforth and keep on, and on until the B 1222, the road to Sherburn. Ride to the traffic lights and turn left for Barkston Ash, for the first time today without a tailwind.

Most of the way through the village there is a left turn for Saxton, a little further into the breeze, and then another left to leave, passing the cricket club which always has me wondering where they find the players. At last, Copley Lane is reached, the ride is high, sort of, and exposed to the breeze. Turn right and carry on until the left for Collier Lane, quickly followed by the right turn for Aberford. Cattle Lane, a left turn before the crossing of Cock Beck, was quiet this morning but still as up and down as ever, the climb into Barwick was quite a heave. Out and up in the Scholes direction and through there to the T junction with the A 64. Turn left then right onto Thorner Lane, left onto Skeltons Lane and along Red Hall Lane to the A 58. All strangely quiet, have I missed a road closed sign or something? No, turn left and ride to the Ring Road and traffic comes out of hibernation or wherever. Ah well, nearly home. Down and down, a hicc up and then more down all the way past the Oakwood Clock and into central Leeds. Skirt around that, cross the river and back home feeling tired but as ever, happy.

A map. Garmin things are so very good at this.

11092017.jpg

gavgav

Guru
I'm up in The Lake District, for the annual pilgrimage with @Rickshaw Phil and his brother, Doug. We seem to have co-incided with monsoon season :rain:and yesterday drove through some of the worst rain and hail I've ever come across, which put pay to any ride planned.

Awoke this morning to a slightly better forecast and so we decided to brave it and get out for a ride before the forecast strong winds arrive from Tuesday evening.

We began by heading through Hawkshead and then over to Outgate, pausing to sort my gears out, which had gone all to cock! The roads were swimming with water, and there was a small river running down the one we used to climb up to Barngates.

Next was the first big climb of the day, up Hawkshead Hill, which didn't seem as bad as I remember it from previous years, which is hopefully a sign I'm getting fitter and stronger. We paused at the top of the hill, for a drink and snack, with a good view of what looked like a heavy shower blowing up the valley. We donned waterproofs and then descended to Atkinson Ground and the rain did indeed begin to fall. It was on and off for the rest of the ride, really, but never heavy enough to cause a complete soaking.

On the narrow lane to Brantwood, a coach came up behind us, so we pulled over to let it through, only for the driver to petulantly wave his arms at us to continue. Fine, we were just trying to be courteous, but having worked with them for 7 years, it didn't surprise me one bit. We actually outpaced him to Brantwood though, as he had to squeeze past a car coming the other way ^_^

Rain over Coniston
IMG_0233.JPG

The lumpy section along the east side of Coniston water is always a pleasant ride and despite having to negotiate a few floods, we made good progress down to High Nibthwaite and Lowick Bridge.

There is then quite a bit of climbing to Spark Bridge and we had a welcome pause for lunch, just as more rain rolled in! Not to be deterred we pressed on to Bouth and then Causeway End, before the long steep (gradient arrow) climb up Hagg Hill. What goes up, must come down and the descent to Newby Bridge was good fun, if tempered a little by the very wet roads.

We stopped at The Swan Hotel, in Newby Bridge, for a well earned pint, and managed to time it with a dry slot in the weather, whilst sat outside. Wasps were pestering us, but we had a 1-0 win, with one squashed by a cider glass :cycle:

@Rickshaw Phil in front of the river, which is quite high for this time of year
IMG_0234.JPG

Me enjoying a pint
IMG_0237.JPG

We set back off for the 10 miles to our cottage, on the busier main road and there was lots of traffic on the section to Lakeside, with the usual plethora of interesting overtakes, including a Peugeot 206 who tried to pass us once, into the path of oncoming traffic, slamming his brakes on and tucking back in, then doing the same again, but this time continuing and forcing another chap to slam his brakes on :thumbsdown:.

There is a lot of climbing on the road back to Hawkshead, especially up to Graythwaite Estate, which seemed hard work in the rain, but when we arrived back, I checked Strava and it tells me I set 22 new Personal Records on segments and so perhaps I didn't do too bad after all!

Waterfall in the garden of our cottage (plenty of water coming down it!)
IMG_0238.JPG

29.1 miles with 2333 ft of climbing at 10.3mph avg.

Hoping to get out again tomorrow, before things deteriorate on the weather front again!

Couple of rides from the week-end(ish)

First a very wet ride to catch the Tour of Britain with the better half,last minute drama as the Heliums front tyre was flat so a quick change of footwear(one type of Giro empires to another) and on the LB Robinson which was probably a good thing considering.

Other half not a happy bunny by the time we got back after a wet and windy ride home and a bit of bike cleaning was needed.

IMG_1004.jpg
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_1003.jpg
IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG

Nice lunch at home though;

IMG_1008.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1173966026

Yesterday was a 100k good club ride with a stop at Wimpole Hall and up the giddy heights of Chapel hill , plus a rapid 40kph soon back along Twenty p road.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1177303438

First a very wet ride to catch the Tour of Britain with the better half,last minute drama as the Heliums front tyre was flat so a quick change of footwear(one type of Giro empires to another) and on the LB Robinson which was probably a good thing considering.

Other half not a happy bunny by the time we got back after a wet and windy ride home and a bit of bike cleaning was needed.

Chapeau! :notworthy:

I had it in mind to go and watch the ToB, but given the grimness of the weather, I stayed put and watched it on the telly. :blush:

Top Bottom