Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
With rain forecast foe the second half of the day we Decided to get on with it.
Not early early, but early enough to call it early.
We both opted for short sleeves and bib shorts, and although it was a touch chilly for the first 10 minutes we survived! There were many cyclists out in longs today, wimps!
We were headed for Thriplow. This would usually mean Chapel Hill, but I pointed us in a westerly direction for Bourn and Longstowe before heading south on the A1198. We turned for Old Wimpole. We've not been in this direction for ages. Wimpole seemed very busy, even before 10am.

Into Orwell and there seemed to be some sort of community ride setting off from the church, we exchanged greetings. Out of the village toward Barrington is a bit of road that Jo hates when we come the other way, it's a bugger with a permanent headwind. We wafted along at 25mph with no effort.

On through Shepreth and Fowlmere, still chilly in the shade but glorious in the sun. After Thriplow we went through Newton then on to Great Shelford where we stopped at Days bakery. Last week I stopped at their shop in Ashwell. Good croissants and tea!
IMG_4550.JPG

Then I needed the loo..... an emergency dash was made to Scotsdales garden centre. A close call!

Back through Newton and Haslingfield and then on to Barton. The next village is Comberton.

"I take it we're turning right at the roundabout?" enquirer the poor old stoker.
"Yup"

Long Road. A steady, draggy up, then at the top of it you're level with the give way line about 3/4 of a mile away, but you have to go down the big dip first, then up the other side. It looks worse than it is. We styled it!

Back to Hardwick. 40 miles.

Within 20 minutes it was peeing down. Right now it's peeing down, plus thunder and lightning. Well timed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1175385179

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The forecast for today was mixed, with a distinct lack of agreement between forecasters.
Most suggested a better start to the day, with showers late morning and into the afternoon which was confirmed by the usually reliable and always lovely Louise Lear on the telly this morning.

So I was out of the door at 8, with a mind to have a quick run to Otley and back, adding a bit on somewhere to round it up to a metric half and be back home before the deluge. Well, we all know what they say about plans don't they?

Short sleeved top and bib shorts, with arm and knee warmers again - cooler definitely but not yet cool enough for longs and before I knew it I was on my way up Coal Road and the usual mix of fast and slow into Shadwell, the climb up to Slaid Hill lights and the wiggle onto Wigton Lane. Where it started raining...
Oh well, it was fairly light so I just carried on, but within a few hundred yards it had got heavy enough for me to stop under a tree :rain:and get my shower-proof jacket on. Back on the road and onward to Harrgogate Road, crossing it at Alwoodley Gates and the steady general up-ness along Alwoodley Lane through steadily heavier rain. Perhaps wearing sunglasses had been a bit optimistic?

At the King Lane junction I looked in an Otley-esque direction and saw nothing but rain, so I decided on a bit of variety and turned left towards the brightness.
Dropping down King Lane someone might have set off the speed activated sign and got the sad face...:whistle: before the climb up the other side, past the school and then the drop down to the Ring Road roundabout which I timed to perfection and the climb up King Lane where the rain had all but stopped, onto what must be the worst surfaced roundabout :hyper:in town before heading onto Stonegate Road and the fast descent into Meanwood before taking a right into Grove Road heading for Headingley.
My plan at this point had been to pick Otley Road up in Headingley and strike out for Otley again, but in the length of Grove Road the weather changed again from almost dry to monsoon :rain:
So at the Otley Road junction I decided to head left, towards Leeds.
I've never ridden down Otley Road before and while it was busy all the motorists were well behaved - which might have something to do with it being home to West Yorkshire Police's close pass initiative?
Anyway, I was soon crossing Woodhouse Moor on the narrowest cycle lane I've ever encountered and the rain kept falling :rain:so I just carried on into the city centre, eventually dropping onto the Headrow, where I stopped for the only pic of the day at Dortmund Square where the fat bloke is still carrying that barrel of beer:
IMG_20170909_090356525_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back on the bike, down the Headrow and onto Vicar Lane before taking New York Street out past the bus station onto York Street and took my life in my hands cycling across the Marsh Lane intersection in front of the Kremlin and getting onto CS1 (previously CSH or the Cycle Superhighway) which runs east next to the A64.
Dodging the bus stops and overgrowing foliage I was soon up the hill and through the frankly appalling section at Torre Road where the CSH simply stops and you have to spot where it restarts on the other side of the road across two pelican crossings, before taking the better section to Shaftesbury lights where it all goes a bit wrong again, as it does at the Gipton Approach junction (I just went on road here rather than taking the tortuous twisting cycleway through multiple pelican crossings) and up past Killingbeck, dodging a huge amount of oil leaking from a bus in the bus lane onto the CSH (reported once I got home).
At the Melbourne roundabout I used the pedestrian crossing to get across the dual carriageway (there seems to be no alternative?) and heading up Cross Gates Road, dodging the cars parked in the cycle lane, round the roundabout and through Cross Gates, before taking local roads up to home with a final loop to push the mileage on a bit.

21.15 miles (34.03km) in 1h 36m at an average of 13.2mph with 1,085ft climbed

Not what I'd planned, but I'll take that. Much more urban than my rides normally are, but I was happy to get a decent mileage in given the weather and I'd ridden some new roads, including completing the eastern side of the CSH (CS1) which I'll comment further on in it's own thread over in Advocacy...
Surprisingly for the amount of urban riding, I had no problems at all with motorists today which made a nice change.

And to end, a map:
09092017.JPG

Old jon

Guru
Two rainy mornings on the trot, how unusual is that? About as unusual as me riding two days on the trot. I suppose I should have expected it. For some reason, a ride today was seen to be needed and the mind would have it no other way. The way you automatically put on the clothes, pick up the shoes. Even the food you eat for breakfast. I just accepted the inevitable . . .

I wheeled the geared bike out and pedalled away, the route decided and the bike better trained than the fixed, so I ( sort of ) knew where I would be riding. Office Lock was the escape route from Holbeck’s strange concept of ‘Urban Village’ and on to the towpath for the ride to Viaduct Road, ride down there and cross the River Aire. There are few bits of Leeds any lower, so it makes sense to be riding uphill after that, all the way to Headingley and beyond. West Park Ring Road crossed, and bear left onto Otley Old Road which continues climbing for a while longer up to the water tower. A bit of a descent until the next left turn, towards Bramhope Moor and the sight of the big aeroplane park that is Leeds and Bradford Airport. More uphill, and a little more to reach the A 658 and turn right for Harrogate and a pretty good ride down Pool Bank.

At the bottom, continue to cross the River Wharfe, there is a convenient bridge, then turn left on the road to Leathley. Another left a way further on is to Leathley Bridge, over the River Washburn and then that long climb up to Farnley. Oh, the rain had stopped. Anyway, into Otley, swoopy downhill is fun, and enjoy the traffic choked streets of a market day. Not that bad, and the rest is always welcome, before starting the ride up the Leeds Road ‘cos I do not think the Old Chevin will be ridden up by me just yet. I glanced to the left, halfway to the Dyneley Arms and saw that the other side of the valley was hidden under rain. The sort of rain you know you are about to be hidden under. Soon. Makes a change, anyway, I sometimes feel as if I know that road too well. A few cyclists around, one sheltering under trees in Bramhope and two cheerful couples riding away from Leeds. Just after the Parkway Hotel I was passed by a silent and speedy rider, just before that one vanished in the distance I was passed again, but only just. This one stayed in sight, and I freewheeled past on the descent to the lights at Headingley, and at the second set I turned right for the drop to Kirkstall and the towpath back to Office Lock. A bit of roadwork dodging and a gentle wander through a bit of Hunslet saw me back home 31.7 miles after leaving, and also after 1760 feet of ascent, said the Garmin. Good enough for a smile.

The map is wet, handle with care

09092017.jpg

13 rider

Guru
So after reaching 100 days cycling on Tuesday I've had 3 days off the bike so I would be in good shape for today's attempt at September's Imperial ton . So not amused when I woke this morning with a tight calf hobbled about getting breakfast thinking what to do ? . Decided to give it to off at 0700 and didn't feel to bad on the bike except for standing climbing which hurt a bit . Ride to the start of a charity ride called the tour de Leicestershire 80 mile route so an extended route of 14 miles from home to Desford . Stood chatting to few people then nipped loo and everyone had lined up for the start so I found myself near the back Off in waves of 20 people so a few minutes before I was off by the time I got to Lindridge lane all I could see for a mile was cyclists a nice sight . Up over the local hills of Ulverscoft passing loads of riders .The ride attracts quite a few occasional riders doing the shorter route for Charity who were finding the hills tough .Swithland ,Mountsorrel ,Sileby ,Rearsby ,Queniborough ,Barkby ,Beeby and Hungarton and the first good stop . Coffee pastry's and home made cakes . When I did this ride last year I was sodden due to rain so nice to enjoy the stop . Back on the bike Ingarsby where we crossed the A46 I took a half mile detour down the A47 to get a velo viewer square back to the route ,Houghton the hill out to the Stretton and Carlton Curlieu and the Langtons up through Foxton which was steeper than I remember Gumly ,Laughton ,Theddingworth and the climb everyone was talking about at the start just a 15% drag the rider in front was zigzagging across the road but he got up it . Passed on kudos as I passed then onto Sibbertoft the long straight road passed the glider club was into a headwind and seems to go on for ever .Husband Bosworth ,Walton and onto @Supersuperleeds commuting routes . Kimcote ,Gilmorton and the second food stop at Arnseby where the short route rejoined . Another good spread provided . Back on the bike 16 miles to go Peatling Parva and the sky becoming very black . Just before Cosby the heavens open biblical hail storm I just carried on I could see clear sky ahead lasted about 5 minutes and within 2 miles roads are bone dry . Croft ,Thurlaston and Desford and to the finish with 94 miles on the clock so ride home will pass the ton .Reported back and apparently I was 5th round the long route :becool: Burger and coffee and chocolate provided and consumed with relish . Free goodie bag with a water bottle and more Chocolate . Spent half an hour chatting and watching riders finishing the just the ride home I could take the direct route ,Desford ,Ratby ,Groby and Home 101 miles in 6hrs 11min 16.3 really pleased with that Lovely ride in great company excellently organised . But home now with feet up as my calf is killing me :surrender:. Limping about but didn't really feel it on the bike . Will see about riding tomorrow

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Once again I seem to have planned my ride with the best of the weather, if you happen to be a duck. This morning was spent on Dad duties, Miss CB's birthday so had to venture to Slough with 4 girls in the van to go ice skating. I stayed off the ice, hurts too much, so left SWMBO with kids and went to B&Q.
Anyway, kids suitably oiked off back to parents, I headed out at about 2 o'clock. Figured I'd do some hilly stuff for a change, and pretty much the same initial route as yesterday to St Annes Hill, this time in the dry. After that it was off to Windsor Great Park, and as I headed up to the polo field it started raining. Then it started absolutely pouring down. Swift cover under a tree, jacket donned and onwards into the deluge:rain::rain::rain::rain:
I quite enjoy riding in the rain, skin is waterproof after all^_^ Last few miles home were completed in bright sunshine....
29 and a bit miles with 500m climbing.
Been given a pass out tomorrow, so hopefully get the metric century ride done.

Should have added
Day-Off tomorrow
Thus, hopefully (after a ParkRun), I'll be having a ride, & will report back - with photos
As per....
Battlefields & Airfields
Red House & Humber Head

Bike selected; CGR
Weather; wet, slight breeze, more rain (of various densities) expected

All photographs taken today, unless captioned otherwise

Out, after a late breakfast (as I had my 100th ParkRun, this morning)

It was already raining lightly, as I left, joining the Bypass, at the half-way point, where a roundabout allows access, up into Old Snydale
Heading north-east, to Havertop - the location of the new Wakefield Police HQ
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3918208 (map is out of date, as road continues north-east)

Dropping down towards Cutsyke, & passing under the M62 (between jcts 32 & 33), a right turn to head towards the large ASDA
As usual, on any day, the traffic was busy here, with it being sensible not to even try & filter
Ignoring the right-hand exit towards 'Xscape', I went left towards Glasshoughton

Turning onto the steady drag up Holywell Lane, towards Townville, the rain ceased!!
There's a nice survivor, at the top, opposite Sheepwalk Lane (to Pontefract), this sign
2005 photograph
Castleford. GlassHoughton. Signpost. Great North Road.JPG

Which gives a clue, where I was heading................

A drop down towards FerryBridge, brought the Power Station into view, as I passed under the 'new' A1
There was a short ramp, as I joined the 'old' A1, which gives a wonderful view of the old bridge

2007 photograph
FerryBridge. Hartleys Bridge. 4.JPG
Not long on the A1, as I left to follow the 'Tadcaster TurnPike' (aka A162), hence taking the right fork at the Brotherton Fox, having ignored the road through Byram, that leads to Birkin & the 'Fisheries Cafe'
(the left fork, at the 'Fox' was the old 'Great North Road')

As I approached Burton Salmon, I stopped to take a picture, as the sky looked leaden
By the time I'd reached the lefthand bend, I was being peppered with Hail
DSCF3781.JPG

Given that I'd taken my skull-cap off, by Havertop Police Station, it was stinging a bit, through the vents (& onto gloveless hands)

Having crossed the Castleford - Selby (& York, via South Milford junction) railway bridge, it was another steady climb, heading towards the roundabout with the A63 'Selby TurnPike')
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/243349

Before the roundabout, & hidden in the undergrowth, on the eastern side of the road, is a lovely little survivor of the coaching days, this gorgeous little milestone
DSCF3782.JPG

Once across the roundabout, the road gets slightly narrower, but still with heavy traffic, until the next roundabout, when a lot now use South Milford/Sherburn Bypass
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3645051

At the other side, whilst stopping for another photograph, I decided to pop the skull-cap back on, as I saw this reminder of the ultimate destination of the 'TurnPike' (via the 'Great North Road'/A1)
DSCF3783.JPG

Straight up, into Sherburn-in-Elmet now (along with Barwick-in-Elmet) one of the few reminders of this 'little kingdom'

A new piece of art/sculpture caught my eye, on Low Street (as the TurnPike is named there), acting as a reminder of the Blackburn Aircraft Company building planes in the town
http://sherburninelmethistory.co.uk/aviation/
DSCF3785.JPG

Turning left, at the crossroads (straight on for Towton, the A64 & Tadcaster - right for Cawood), it's a gradual drag, up KirkGate, past the site of the original 'Squires Cafe'
http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/about_us/index.asp
Now built on, the gates act as a reminder of times gone by, I visited it many times myself
DSCF3789.JPG DSCF3790.JPG

Another couple of miles, after passing St Johns Lane (which heads back to Aberford) saw me at the new (since 2002) 'Squires'
As I was wet, dripping, cold-handed (if sweaty backed!), I decided to call in for tea

It was a very quiet bike-park
If you opened the Squires link, you'll have seen how busy it gets, or this one;
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3239770

DSCF3792.JPG

I sat there, trying not to feel cold, raising my tea, in a silent tribute to Emma, a friend/ex-collegue, who passed away yesterday

Outwards, was towards Ledsam, over the 'new' A1, & under the 'old' A1 (only 300yards apart here)
Along the orange road, under the green, & south-west on the yellow
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2363597

Down New Road, one of my favourite local climbs, into Ledsham
Home of the (in)famous 'Chequers Inn'
http://thechequersinn.com/

Looking back down towards the pub (I came out of village, towards the camera) http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/633205
From the mid 1880's, up until into the early 2000's, it had a 6-day licence, as the Lady Of The Manor (whose husband was also the local Magistrate) was -so the legend tells- verbally abused by drunken farmhands on her way to Church
So, hubby did as he was told (like we all do), & removed the Sunday portion of the licencing

There was a game of Cricket being held on the village ground, in the rain, as I passed
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/633228

Out along Claypit Lane, towards its junction with Back Newton Lane, which was covered in mud & straw off the fields
Shortly, a left, in a hollow, took me into Ledston, & past the (almost empty/converted to some flats) Hall, up on the left
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1634312
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1634326

The Sun finally came out!!!, & I could start to dry off

Passing through the village brought me onto Newton Lane, above the Ings (Fairburn), & back to Allerton Bywater Crosssroads
And.... back into Castleford, over the Canal & River Aire

Looking over at the 'Millenium Footbridge' http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4965746

Turning right at the roundabout, past Castle Motorcycles, & the Flour Mill
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4913265
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4688938

Up past the site of the Roman Fort; into the town-centre
Past the bus station, over the level-crossing on Albion Street, into HighTown

A 'straight run' now, across a roundabout, & back along Whitwood Common, to the M62 (jct 32)
Hitting the lights just right made a change.............. as did momentarily feeling both tyres slip on oil (or diesel, but no smell), as I leant around it

Back up the hill, & head home, watching out for all the 'Gala go-ers' as they wandered over the road into Haw Hill Park

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
With the forecast looking a bit better, I took my chances this morning and went out to bag my metric century challenge ride. I was also after a bit of climbing, and had an arbitrary figure of 1000m in my head because I wanted to see that on the Garmin. The first part of the ride was a copy of yesterday, and the rest spent doing loops in and out of Windsor Great Park to get the mileage and climbing done.
Quite busy with cyclists today, and reminder to self to avoid WGP after about 0900, loads of peds and rat dog things under no control.
102km done, with 1175m of climbing, so pleased with that.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A good day here. I set off before 9 in sunshine across the fields, the tracks still wet from yesterday. Out to Caldecote and up to Kingston.
Through Old Wimpole woods and right along to the end of the ridge before dropping down to Great Eversden. A couple of hundred yards along the road and back up to the ridge on the Mares Way.
I dropped down to Wimpole farm, then up the main drive. There was an event on, junior Park Run- a 2k course. Good stuff!
IMG_4553.JPG

Further on through the park the Shetland cows were listening to the Commodores... taking Sunday morning easy
IMG_4556.JPG

Up the hill into Arrington
IMG_4558.JPG

And then Croydon
IMG_4560.JPG

^ All Saints' Croydon Cum Clopton.

Up the remaining steep bit to get to the top of the hill. There were 2 ladies coming down, brakes full on, wasted opportunity!

Beyond the posh estate I took a bridleway for Little Gransdens. My bike had a rest while I did
IMG_4563.JPG

I'd not used this track before. There's a dip half way along it with a deviation at the bottom. I applied my brakes and slithered sideways at speed, nearly losing it!
I couldn't work out what road I was coming out on to as I'm stupid. I didn't even recognise the farm.... I turned left. After a 1/4 of a mile the penny dropped. I was nearly in Gamlingay. I turned and headed for the bridleway behind the maggot farm round the Back of Hayley Wood
IMG_4568.JPG

The early morning sun had gone now, replaced by windy, grey glumness
IMG_4565.JPG

It didn't look like it would rain, and it didn't.

From The Red House I was going to give it some welly, but I was fairly beat by this point. I gave it as much as I could. By the time I popped out in Bourn I was Donald Ducked! I'd have like to free wheeled all the way home but it was all up hill!

Before the Caldecote turn someone turned up it from the opposite direction a couple of yards in front of me, they gave me the motivation I needed to get on their back wheel. Whoever they were they were weaving like they were going up the Angliru. I caught up. The lady said she didn't like hills. I towed her up for a couple of hundred yards before coming home via the fields.

Once home I was like a zombie. Jo gave me some milk and bread and cheese which revived me eventually. I think this is the longest ride I've done on my mountain bike, 30 miles. It were reet grand!
IMG_4569.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1177122176

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays soaking, I nearly got the winter bike with mudguards out but then had a word with myself (it's only September!) and took the Pro Carbon - although I did add overshoes to the ensemble today, despite keeping faith with shorts and knee warmers.
And who'd guess - it stayed dry the whole way round, despite raining back at home.

There is a certain inevitability that saw me heading up Coal Road, the wiggle to Shadwell and on to Slaid Hill lights, but I then headed strait down into the dip on Wike Ridge Road before taking Tarn Lane across the ridge to Scarcroft, the lumpiness of Ling Lane and the fast descent on the A58 to the traffic lights and onto one of the many Thorner Lanes in the area.
The standing water and washed out gravel at the bottom of Scarcroft Hill (aka Hellwood) looks like being a fixture through the autumn and winter now, but the hill still has to be climbed and I was eventually at the top and on to Milner Lane, all the way along to East Rigton where I looped back onto Compton Lane and carried along the ridge passing just a couple of dog walkers and a jogger.
At the cross roads, I headed down the hill on Jewitt Lane and while descending is always fun, the state of the road and lack of open sight lines adds a little extra something to proceedings.
In Collingham it was right on the A58 and right again up Wattle Syke which once again proved itself to be close pass central, but I was soon at the top, over the two roundabouts and starting the gentle descent into Boston Spa. I wasn't quite fast enough to set off the speed activated sign (although the cars overtaking me did...) and once in the village took a right for Clifford.
Up to the Church and then the descent into Bramham, checked a bit by the wind, before climbing back out of the village the long way round and onto the inappropriately named Paradise Way, where I stopped for a quick photo:
IMG_20170910_092639969_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170910_092747145_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and heading almost due South to the Bramham cross roads, round the roundabout and then the straight(ish) run to Aberford, much of which is nicely downhill.
About halfway down the descent to Cock Beck I got a stupid close pass from WVM who simply couldn't wait 20 seconds for a car coming the other way to clear. Maybe it is time to get a camera on the bike...
Heart rate accelerated, I took the right just over the bridge for the ups and downs of Cattle Lane, crossing Cock Beck again before climbing up into Barwick, through the village and the continuing climb almost to Scholes, before the descent round the curve into Scholes and down Leeds Road, crossing Cock Beck for a third and final time, before heading up home on local roads.

26.36 miles (42.42km) in 1h 52m at an average of 14.1mph with 1,463ft climbed.

That'll do for a Sunday morning spin - always nice to get an average above 14 mph, especially with a fair bit of climbing (by my recent standards). And despite the forecast I stayed dry all the way round, despite it pouring down at home while I was out. It must be the overshoes... :okay:

And to end, the map:
10092017.JPG

13 rider

Guru
Woke this morning with the calf still a bit sore . Dithered about deciding whether to go or not . Finally made up my mind and out the door my 10.00 no planned route just head out Cotgrave way for a few veloviewer squares .Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Sileby ,Seagrave . About to pass race hub a triathlon and bike training centre I became aware of a photographer taking my photo . I think he got the gist I was not in an event when I waved back .Within seconds I was past hy a time trailler I was doing 20mph and he dropped me like a stone :surrender:. So the photographer had not mistaken me for a time trailler :laugh:. Noticed by the number on his back it was being run by Ratae cc the same club who ran the hill climb I stumbled into last week .At the next junction I went left following the time trail and was expertly waved through by the Marshall's :okay: which was nice . The next bit of road is a long straight kept shoulder checking to check for other riders could see 1 coming checked the traffic moved out a signalled for him to pass on the inside so not disrupt his rythem . Guys pulls alongside and thanks me and says he not in the time trail :laugh: We ignore the Marshall's at the next junction as the time trail was going back down the dual carriageway of the A46 . Rode out to Willoughby with the rider chatting away where we parted company .Widmerpool across the A46 down the old A46 for half a mile for a square then back to Kinoulton ,Owthorpe Cotgrave turn for home and realise it's going to be a headwind home which is picking up strength nice ! .Clipston, Normanton on the Wolds ,Plumtree , Bradmore ,Wysall and the rolling road to Wymeswold and the legs are feeling it now ,Burton on the Wolds ,Barrow ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and it's begins to rain 3 miles from home rain jersey on and last bit done Home with 54.8 miles in the bag . Average dropped from over 16 mph to 15.2 on the 15 miles home run due to headwind and lack of strength in the legs but still not to shabby

Last edited:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Pottered around the east end of London and got some pics for my street art thread this morning https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-4951663 and this afternoon I popped into Regents Park to see the free Freize Sculptor park, here's my favourites.
dGztxua.jpg

I've seen this elephant before but I can't remember where, maybe it was in Tate Modern but not sure.
utevUXB.jpg

PAj6vGF.jpg

YqyRlUz.jpg

4tymVAX.jpg

People could'nt resist going and prodding these to see if they toppled over.
IIvGtzg.jpg

This is like a black stone snowman, could do with a carrot.
b8iuXst.jpg

u8XoIIg.jpg

I really like this, made of various letters and symbols
h8HiubF.jpg

And finally this, which during my short visit seemed to be the most photographed.
29DaYhO.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Another explore today. This time I rode on my own as Mrs 26 pointed at my bike while she put her boots on for a walk. I took to the now sort of familiar route out to Rydyclafdy and on to Llannor. Again I missed that turn but reversed for Y Ffor. Now on very new lanes I was facing the Snowdon massif albeit shrouded in mist. The lanes were superb with grass up the middle and superb hedging. Good stuff as, as I turned into the wind, the shelter was welcome. I managed to dodge the traffic in Pwllheli by some useful map reading. I jinked around Efailnewydd to begin a new loop by Ceidio. At Dinas I was asked where "somewhere" was. Sorry - I'm a stranger here. Isn't it always the way? I had a bit of a struggle on a not so sheltered lane into the wind and uphill too. Then at Sarn Meyliteyrn I began a long climb up onto the high flanks of Mynydd Rhiw. I lost all that height in hardly any distance with >20% descending. That was scary on a gravelled and potholed surface not to mention the hairpin bend. Now I had a tail wind which helped the last miles back. Good one for sure. Lovely lanes and views from the heights. 52 smiles ^_^

Top Bottom