Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
The nights are really drawing in now but I was keen to get out and even though the last of the light was near when setting off I still decided to get out.

I planned my usual c.45 minute loop partly because of time limits and also,familiarity with the quieter country roads. The only down side was that most of the roads were unlit and it would be a test for my Hope front light!

It faired well but was outclassed by a pair of riders coming towards me on Spicer House Lane - they were riding side by side and at first I thought it was a car with Xenons coming towards me :smile:

There's something quite exhilarating about riding at night and overall an enjoyable ride.

11.2 miles and 840ft of climbing

IMG_3568.JPG
IMG_0328.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well, I said I was going out today, "whatever the weather", and that's exactly what I did. The forecast was looking pretty bleak for Skye & Lochalsh this week so, despite the rain, I just went for it and drove out onto the Isle of Skye, where I parked up in a lay-by at Sconser. This was the exact point that I had ridden to 3 years previously, so it felt like I would be joining up the dots in a way. I headed off westwards across the island past the Raasay ferry terminal, along Loch Sligachan, past the old bridge at Sligachan and on through the Cuillin Hills to Carbost. Not that you could see any hills, that is. After only a mile, I had to pull over to put my rain jacket on, and it got wetter and wetter from there on. No photos of the outward journey as, frankly, you couldn't see very much anyway. By the time I dropped down past the Talisker Distillery in Carbost and stopped for a drink by the pier, I was a pretty soggy sight:
DSCF4762.JPG

I had made quite good time, though, and (miracle of miracles) it suddenly stopped raining. After climbing my way back up from Carbost I allowed myself a small diversion up Glen Brittle towards the back of the Black Cuillins. This is another of my very favourite roads anywhere, and I'd always wanted to ride it. I went a couple of miles up the road before turning tail for Sconser .... but not before meeting this bonnie beastie:
DSCF4765.JPG

With the amount of rain that had just fallen, and the sun making an appearance at last, the road began to sparkle brilliantly, contrasting nicely with the brooding Black Cuillins in the background. This is a magical place:
DSCF4767.JPG

Did the return journey without the rain top and with a gentle following breeze. Very enjoyable return. I've seldom really enjoyed riding A roads before, but the A863 through the Cuillin Hills is a notable exception:
DSCF4773.JPG

By the time I got back to the old bridge at Sligachan (one of the biggest tourist attractions on the island), the hills had emerged from the clouds, and the tourist tap had well and truly been turned on.
DSCF4775.JPG

... A beautiful place, when you can see it:
DSCF4776.JPG

By the time I got back onto the A87 coast road, the traffic had picked up considerably since my outward ride. Still not too bad, though, and there were great views of the island of Raasay ahead to the East. In this one you can see the distinctive outline of the extinct volcano, Dun Caan, on the skyline:
DSCF4777.JPG

What a great little ride. 26.3 miles done, coast to coast to coast. Got back to the cottage by lunchtime, and had a great afternoon out in the car with Mrs Donger in the best of the weather. Whatever happens weather-wise from now on, that's three great rides and 71 beautiful miles I'll remember for a long time. Well worth lugging the bike up here for the week.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well, I said I was going out today, "whatever the weather", and that's exactly what I did. The forecast was looking pretty bleak for Skye & Lochalsh this week so, despite the rain, I just went for it and drove out onto the Isle of Skye, where I parked up in a lay-by at Sconser. This was the exact point that I had ridden to 3 years previously, so it felt like I would be joining up the dots in a way. I headed off westwards across the island past the Raasay ferry terminal, along Loch Sligachan, past the old bridge at Sligachan and on through the Cuillin Hills to Carbost. Not that you could see any hills, that is. After only a mile, I had to pull over to put my rain jacket on, and it got wetter and wetter from there on. No photos of the outward journey as, frankly, you couldn't see very much anyway. By the time I dropped down past the Talisker Distillery in Carbost and stopped for a drink by the pier, I was a pretty soggy sight:
View attachment 371964
I had made quite good time, though, and (miracle of miracles) it suddenly stopped raining. After climbing my way back up from Carbost I allowed myself a small diversion up Glen Brittle towards the back of the Black Cuillins. This is another of my very favourite roads anywhere, and I'd always wanted to ride it. I went a couple of miles up the road before turning tail for Sconser .... but not before meeting this bonnie beastie:
View attachment 371965
With the amount of rain that had just fallen, and the sun making an appearance at last, the road began to sparkle brilliantly, contrasting nicely with the brooding Black Cuillins in the background. This is a magical place:
View attachment 371968
Did the return journey without the rain top and with a gentle following breeze. Very enjoyable return. I've seldom really enjoyed riding A roads before, but the A863 through the Cuillin Hills is a notable exception:
View attachment 371970
By the time I got back to the old bridge at Sligachan (one of the biggest tourist attractions on the island), the hills had emerged from the clouds, and the tourist tap had well and truly been turned on.
View attachment 371971
... A beautiful place, when you can see it:
View attachment 371972
By the time I got back onto the A87 coast road, the traffic had picked up considerably since my outward ride. Still not too bad, though, and there were great views of the island of Raasay ahead to the East. In this one you can see the distinctive outline of the extinct volcano, Dun Caan, on the skyline:
View attachment 371973
What a great little ride. 26.3 miles done, coast to coast to coast. Got back to the cottage by lunchtime, and had a great afternoon out in the car with Mrs Donger in the best of the weather. Whatever happens weather-wise from now on, that's three great rides and 71 beautiful miles I'll remember for a long time. Well worth lugging the bike up here for the week.
Cheers, Donger.

Cracking photo's:okay: Looks like somewhere for me to take the van in future.

Well the aching legs from Sunday's ride had eased a little so decided I was ready for another ride

Decided on my Bushy Park Loop route.It is at least flat.

After a while realised I was going quite well so upped my pace a little

Route is along the river, Laleham, Shepperton, Lower Sunbury, Hampton and Hampton Court
Through Bushy Park, Hampton Hill, Hanworth, Outskirts of Feltham, missed out a bit as there were roadworks.
21.7 miles at 17.5 mph
https://www.strava.com/activities/1170811013

Feeling good so ready for more action

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It seemed like a good idea to try some further explorations hereabouts. There is an amazing Iron Age hill fort near here so a little ride to spy the land was the plan. Off out we went for Rhyd-y-Clafdy. We met another couple on bikes looking a tad lost. We advised as best we could being strangers to these parts ourselves. Past Llannor we ourselves took a wrong turning but we soon rectified that to take a lovely wee lane to Rhos-Fawr. Our route then looped west but eventually we began the climb towards Yr Eifl with the right hand peak being the one with the hill fort. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tre'r_Ceiri We'll return to climb on foot. Now we dropped away to Morfa Nefyn for some refreshments. Here we met our cycling couple again!

Replenished we took to more lovely lanes southwards to cross the peninsula. What a lovely network of lanes there are here. Plenty of variety for sure. We dropped easily to Porth Neigwl (Hell's Mouth) where we took to our feet to have a look at the beach. Lovely spot and the wind was just right for some waves for the few boogie boarders who had turned out. Mrs 26 decided on a shortcut whilst I wanted a quick look at Abersoch. She picked the harder hill! Abersoch was quite a busy wee place and guess who I saw again? Yep, the cycling couple! Back at base Mrs 26 hadn't turned up despite her shorter route. So I went back to check all was well. Indeed it was, she'd been sightseeing at the little church in Llangian. So I got to climb that tough hill too.

Nice wee ride today. Felt rather more like it today after my last attempt. Mrs 26 enjoyed it all too. 41 smiles today.

Wasn't feeling so great today, but decided that a nice wee ride would rectify things somewhat. And it did. :smile:

Popped out after tea to do my usual 14 mile Downham - Way Head - Coveney - Ely loop, taking advantage of the fact that the wind had dropped markedly. It was still a bit chilly, so decided to throw my rediscovered Raleigh Banana jersey over a base layer. The sun was trying to poke through the clouds though, which made for some dramatic skies.

Despite feeling a bit bleurgh, the legs were cooperating, so I made good time on my way through Downham and Way Head. Stopped on the far side of Way Head to scout out an apple tree I saw growing in the hedgerow last time I was this way. It's still got beautiful big red apples on it - and I found out the reason why. It's on the far bank of a six foot ditch filled with mud and brambles. So no chance of going scrumping. :cry: Ho hum...

Anyways, after that it was the climb into Coveney (still had gears left for a change) before dropping down the other side of the hill towards Ely. The hedgerows near the vets are still loaded with goodies. Stopped for a moment to pop my rear light on before joining the A10 for the one junction as by now the light was starting to fade. From there it's the drag up to Orwell Pit Farm and back into Downham.

Was rather gutted to see they'd cut down the six remaining "Seven Sisters" - a stand of aspens that have been a local landmark since forever. One came down in Storm Doris earlier in the year, but now they're all gone. :cry:

Just a bit further on, barely a mile and a half from home, I almost got wiped out by a twonk in a grey estate. :angry: I was riding a strong primary prior to making a right turn. Looked over my shoulder; there was a car coming up behind, but not particularly quickly, so I move out and I signal the right turn clearly. Just as I'm making the turn, he overtakes me. :cursing: Had to swerve the other way to avoid going into the side of him. Got a serious wobble on, but somehow managed not to hit the deck. Grrrr...

Saw nine other cyclists while out and about. Got overtaken three times, but overtook two others, so not too embarrassing. :blush:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Why does it feel like every ride is my first ride in ages? Oh yes, because every ride IS my first ride in ages.

Just to prove myself wrong I went out again last night. Same route but conditions breezier and cooler. I couldn't get going and just felt slow. A guy went past and I struggled and wheezed onto his wheel for half a mile or so. I was riding that Struggle Bus! He was tonking along though 20mph+ even up the hills and I had 20 odd years extra on him.

I must have warmed up or got a bit of a tail wind as I went better on the second half of the ride. Once I have the squeaky bum bit out of the way, (getting across the M54 J3 roundabout) I can relax a bit and let the pedals turn. I even big ringed it (53) through Cosford. I then got my first puncture in ages and had to stop to replace the tube. The new tube had at least 3 patches already on it! Ten minutes later I was on my way again.

No sheep on the road this time and over all I was 91 seconds faster than Monday!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After another silly o'clock finish at work this morning, I was up just before lunch, so had breakfast and headed out. Todays target was 318m of climbing to get me to 25% complete on the Strava challenge. Somewhat surprised myself, getting home after 27 miles with 534m done:smile: 2214m down, 5786 to go..
Long ride planned tomorrow, need an hour in the garage to get the wet bike ready as it looks like I'll need it:rain::rain:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
A belated post :blush:

I rode my first audax on Sunday, the Moira East Midlands Forest 207 km. Out the house at 7:30am for the 2 mile ride to the starting point to meet up with a couple of mates, Rob and Martin. The event started at 8am with 3 cafe stops en route at 30+ mile intervals to get your card marked as proof of the ride. The ride took in some wonderful countryside around Leicestershire, Rutland and Northamptonshire. I managed to do 217.3 km (135 miles) from door to door in 8 hours and 30 minutes riding time, but I was out of the house for 10 hours and 50 minutes.... When I got home the mrs just shook her head :laugh:.

Great ride :bicycle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1166733706 - https://www.relive.cc/view/1166733706

P1000819.JPG
P1000823.JPG
P1000826.JPG
P1000830.JPG
P1000831.JPG
P1000832.JPG
cURabqRO7nXzaWoCeRl5Y_H2YcQhqIO4beySx38Z8l0-1536x2048 (1).jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Todays plan was simple, get my metric century challenge ride done. The forecast said rain, so I got the wet bike ready last night, and was all set to go.
Phone call at just after 8 o'clock changed my plans, and most of the morning spent doing family stuff, so didn't get out until about 11 ish. Chasing the hills still, I did a few loops of St Annes where the rain started. Jacket on, and off towards Callow Hill. Rain got steadily heavier, and by the time I got home on 21 miles and 353m of climbing I was soaked through (the bottom half anyway, the Endura jacket kept then top dry).
Have to have another go at the metric century next week.

Old jon

Guru
It was persisting down this morning, so I reckoned it was time to check out the jacket I bought in Sweden earlier this year. My Swedish is almost as bad as my Inuit, but I was told the jacket was rainproof. Sort of. Twenty nine showery miles later, my friend told me true. Rain proof, breathes well and if you discount the cost of the flights, cheap as well. The name, Astral, does not inspire confidence, but who cares?

This is supposed to be about a ride. And ride I did, starting with the shuffle around Holbeck and crossing the river at Crown Point Bridge. The traffic still snarls and tangles on the way to Eastgate but once on Regent Street things unknot and relatively peaceful riding returns. Roseville and Roundhay Roads, uphill in the rain to the clock at Oakwood. About half my rides start this way and the ruts the bike leaves in the road are becoming something to complain about. Maybe. On the fixed again, so Boot Hill is quite an effort. It is good to reach the top, beyond the Ring Road, for the flat stretch to Red Hall Lane and breathing almost returns to normal. Turn right and carry on to Thorner Lane, left there to ride down Sandhills and through Thorner. The stiff climb up Church Hill is followed by that mostly dropping road to what I sometimes think of as Bramham Park’s back gate. I am sure his ( bleep bleep ) lordship will have another name for it. All the way to Bramham itself and a mistake. I had thought to leave the village and head south, paralleling the A 1M to Bramham crossroads, but the bike decided to turn left onto the road to Clifford. Oh well, one direction is as good as another, keep pedalling. Boston Spa is next and I resisted turning right, towards Tadcaster. The turn to the left brought me to Wattle Syke, a name much older than the roundabouts it now graces. A few years back, 2007( ? ) some archaeological finds seemed to indicate Roman and even iron age settlements in the area. Bet they were more fun than roundabouts.

So, there I am on the A 58 at Collingham, still showery weather and the new jacket working well. The grey cell stopped navigating and instinct said ‘Ride home’. OK, carry on where the front wheel is pointing. On this road, Collingham has not extended at all in fifty years or so. The village starts at the end of Wattle Syke and ends at Crabtree Green. Yup, the north side of the road has seen some house building, most of which is almost invisible behind trees. Hmm, is this an accurate memory? Anyway, the ride is about the same, Bardsey next, and the drop to where the railway bridge used to be. Followed by that climb through Scarcroft. I think wet weather discourages diversions, certainly for me. I had the time, nowt amiss with the bike, all I had to do was turn onto a different road of which there are a few. Must do better. After the big whizz and the ride past Oakwood Clock again, it is time to traverse Leeds centre and the similar traffic mess by the bus station. It is different from the opposite direction, and for some reason there was an unrecognisable horn concerto being rehearsed. It brought a smile to me, which stayed in place all the rest of the way home.
The map. Another reason to divert more . . .

08092017.jpg

Oh dear, I did the same route in January!!

The nights are really drawing in now but I was keen to get out and even though the last of the light was near when setting off I still decided to get out.

I planned my usual c.45 minute loop partly because of time limits and also,familiarity with the quieter country roads. The only down side was that most of the roads were unlit and it would be a test for my Hope front light!

It faired well but was outclassed by a pair of riders coming towards me on Spicer House Lane - they were riding side by side and at first I thought it was a car with Xenons coming towards me :smile:

There's something quite exhilarating about riding at night and overall an enjoyable ride.

11.2 miles and 840ft of climbing

View attachment 371980 View attachment 371981

I can't quite see them from home, but can see them from the top two floors at work. (PGH), & even though we're at the opposite side of Wakefield, if it's fairly clear/sunny, I can see whether the blades are turning
I've ridden around there a lot of times, been almost stuck in snow, on Dearne Dyke Lane, when I had my Discovery (on good tyres, & yes, I was familiar with bad road conditons), & have run around there, on the 'Thirlstone Chase' fell-race

Discovery. S50 RAT. Snow. Penistone. Dearne Dyke Lane. 24.2.05. 1.JPG

but not before meeting this bonnie beastie:
View attachment 371965

I sometimes pass a field of them, on one of my regular routes
Others may know where I refer to
West Yorkshire Scenes. Fairburn. Newton. Highland Cattle. 1.JPG 1781950_10202751940871911_2093858238_n.jpg 1977145_10202751940111892_637184372_n.jpg

Top Bottom