Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_1085.jpg
Just a short 20 mile loop today, god it was windy!

lazyfatgit

I had a pleasant ride around Wooloweyah & Angourie today, first time there on the bike, when I got bashed by a magpie. Fairly common at this time of year, but caught it on camera today.

View: https://vimeo.com/232219940

Too Tyred

Yesterday actually. Loop around Huddersfield. Nice speed too.

QXMzbn7.png

Longest local ride I've been on. It's not the nicest place in the word to ride but it's riding and that's the fun bit.

Slightly hairy moment... car behind me just approaching a downhill fairly steep. I slowed down and moved right over but the car didn't pass. I knew there was a downhill bend then a straight steeper downhill onto a straight flat where the car could pass so I sped up because the bend was coming up and knew the car wouldn't pass there. Anyway I put my head down to try and get out of the way and get up to 42 mph just coming out of the bend.. at that moment the car races past me and was pretty close to a van coming the other way!

I feel like if the car did hit the van it would have been my fault but I'm not sure what I should have done there?

13 rider

Guru
Woke this morning with leaden legs their beginning to protest about the number of consecutive days riding (98 so far ). But metric century planned so shut up legs I'm off .Anstey ,Cropston ,Cossington and out To Gaddesby where the legs finally start to feel ok . The terrain now is rolling into Burrough hill where there was signs for a hill climb more of that later . Though quiet lanes Newbold into Rutland heading for Braunston in Rutland where I suffer a close head on pass where a t*** in a black range rover overtook 2 cars at speed forcing me to stop and the cars to brake to close for comfort that one this incident put a downer on the ride .After a minute composing myself its back on the road when a car pulls alongside and winds down the window just about to give this driver mouthful when they ask if I'm ok. It was the second car that was overtook come to check on me Stopped in a gateway and had a quick chat and thanked them for their concern not all drivers are morons .This incident seemed to take the energy out of me and I was now struggling . Did a quick downhill towards Riddlington went round a bend a theres a wall of a hill in front of me . Much crashing of gears and I somehow get up it . Onto Oakham and turn for home . Knossington ,Somerby and then get back to Burrough on the hill and the Hill climb is on . Looking at the state of the riders crossing the line it looks quite hard . Stopped at a junction and watched a few riders in full flight which was impressive . Nice downhill to Twyford ,Gaddesby ,Resrsby ,Cossington ,Cropston and home 66 .3 miles hard miles a tough ride today but September's metric ton in the bag .I was over ambitious today 100km and 4000 ft of climbing on tired legs was a tough gig .

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Woke this morning with leaden legs their beginning to protest about the number of consecutive days riding (98 so far ). But metric century planned so shut up legs I'm off .Anstey ,Cropston ,Cossington and out To Gaddesby where the legs finally start to feel ok . The terrain now is rolling into Burrough hill where there was signs for a hill climb more of that later . Though quiet lanes Newbold into Rutland heading for Braunston in Rutland where I suffer a close head on pass where a t*** in a black range rover overtook 2 cars at speed forcing me to stop and the cars to break to close for comfort that one this incident put a downer on the ride .After a minute composing myself its back on the road when a car pulls alongside and winds down the window just about to give this driver mouthful when they ask if I'm ok. It was the second car that was overtook . Stopped in a gateway and had a quick chat and thanked them for their concern not all drivers are morons .This incident seemed to take the energy out of me and I was now struggling . Did a quick downhill towards Riddlington went round a bend a theres a wall of a hill in front of me . Much crashing of gears and I somehow get up it . Onto Oakham and turn for home . Knossington ,Somerby and then get back to Burrough on the hill and the Hill climb is on . Looking at the state of the riders crossing the line it looks quite hard . Stopped at a junction and watched a few riders in full flight which was impressive . Nice downhill to Twyford ,Gaddesby ,Resrsby ,Cossington ,Cropston and home 66 .3 miles hard miles a tough ride today but September's metric ton in the bag .I was over ambitious today 100km and 4000 ft of climbing on tired legs was a tough gig .

Well done for getting out there, after so many days spent in the saddle.

Did the Marlow Red Kite Ride 100 mile sportive today

We had 1 mile ride from the Car Park to the starting point at Marlow Sports Club, where we registered

I hesitate to describe the route - too much of it, we went up as far as Brill and Upper Wichenden, and down as far as Hare Hatch, not so far from home.

From about 30 miles inwards I tagged on with a group of riders from Chalfont St Giles area, until about 85 miles, when 1 went missing, suspected puncture or mechanical

It was a great help to have riders doing my speed

Rain started after the 50 mile mark, it eased from 75 miles but it was constantly wet, the roads were wet

Highlights outside the cycling were two windmills, Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons (Raymond Blanc)
Also the ever present Red Kites
They are very vocal calling FEEEEEEoow Weweweweeeooooo

There were two notable hills, Stokenchuch #and Swyncombe Hill

It was nice for a change to do a locally organised sportive, well done Marlow RIders

All in all, including a missed turning (I had to double back)
106.65 miles (including the ride from Car Park to Sports Club and back
15.6 mph

4505 feet climbed

AND I achieved the GOLD standard time (I never achieve WIggle's ones as they don't factor in age)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1166440301/
marlow medal.jpg

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Did the Marlow Red Kite Ride 100 mile sportive today

We had 1 mile ride from the Car Park to the starting point at Marlow Sports Club, where we registered

I hesitate to describe the route - too much of it, we went up as far as Brill and Upper Wichenden, and down as far as Hare Hatch, not so far from home.

From about 30 miles inwards I tagged on with a group of riders from Chalfont St Giles area, until about 85 miles, when 1 went missing, suspected puncture or mechanical

It was a great help to have riders doing my speed

Highlights outside the cycling were two windmills, Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons (Raymond Blanc)

There were two notable hills, Stokenchuch #and Swyncombe Hill

It was nice for a change to do a locally organised sportive, well done Marlow RIders

All in all, including a missed turning (I had to double back)
106.65 miles (including the ride from Car Park to Sports Club and back
15.6 mph

4505 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1166440301/ View attachment 371548

Great ride well done.

Buck

Guru
Didn't manage to get out yesterday as I indulged in another pastime of mine - photography which meant I was awake at 3am, and up and out by 4am to catch the sunrise.

Here's one of the shots I captured.

Determined to get out on a ride in between other jobs that needed doing before the kids go back to school, I managed to get out this afternoon for a short ride and now back, showered and relaxed.

Nothing much to say although the forecast got it wrong with the 7pm showers starting just before I set off at 3:30! Up and out the village battling a cheeky Southerly headwind - one that would stick with me for most of the ride.

It was most striking as I headed up to the hill and on past the windmills. I thought I'd have a pop at the steep ascent to the viewing platform at Royd's Hill but only managed to match my PB.

On the way back I was heading in a north westerly direction so there was a little respite from the wind but not the rain.

As I approached the junction with Horn Lane I could see a white landrover approaching the junction so covered my brakes. Sure enough he was out of the junction before slamming on his brakes (his passengers face was a picture!) just allowing me to get through without having to stop or worse - phew! I shook my head but didn't remonstrate further.

I turned up Brown's Edge Road and he followed me up - "wonder what he'll do" I thought but he passed me safely and continued.

A couple of minutes after turning onto Grime Lane the same car drove towards me and indicated and turned i across me into a driveway, passenger window comes down. I thought "here we go - verbal tirade" but I was pleasantly suprised with "sorry mate, I didn't see you back there". "No harm done. Take care. Thanks" I shout back and got a thumbs up. #karmarestored

After that an uneventful if wet ride home.

14 miles. 988ft of climbing.

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 16.54.23.png

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Last night we cycled to Toft for the beer festival. The return journey was fun.

Today I had a beer festival head and an appointment at Thetford Forest with my young mate Charlie. Once he'd hired his bike we were off to play.

I never quite know where I'm going in the forest, and I couldn't find the two massive bomb holes that are fun to play in. There was plenty of other stuff to do though.

We managed 22 miles, the last 5 I was knackered due to yesterday's rides and beer!

IMG_4539.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1166581396

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another Sunday with no work or racing to go to so the day was spent like last Sunday - a morning 15 mile slow bottle bank run/head clearer with a stop to drop off a card for my mum & step father's 25th wedding anniversary (they'd already gone out for the day) and a trip to the dock viewing area before headimg home for lunch & a coffee. The afternoon's ride was a simple 47 mile loop out to the far side of Ipswich and back including a bit of off roading thanks to being on the Spa.
The Thalassa tall ship heading from Ipswich to London using engine power this morning
Thalassa 1.JPG

Buck

Guru
Both boys off today due to INSET days at school so said we could go on a short ride with the incentive of a delicious ice cream or hot chocolate at Yummy Yorkshire.

Set off and both boys grumbling how hard work it was - oh joy! Cue lots of motivational snippets from me "You're doing great - come on" "That's it - well done" etc.

Got to the top of Marsh Lane which to be fair is a bit of a steady climb especially for a 14yo and 11yo and then turned on the relatively flat main road heading towards the Sovereign crossroads.

Said we'd go up Piper Wells which is steep but avoids all the traffic. I said go as far as you can then stop and walk the rest but it'd be great if you got further than last time you did it (Then my eldest got around 80% and youngest around 25% before stopping) Eldest has been quite poorly over the last 6 months so I expected him to get about half way - nope he went all the way to the top as the youngest decided riding the hill wasn't for him and he'd push his bike up!

At the top, my eldest is now complaining of feeling sick and light headed. I got him to sit down and take a few deep breaths but this didn't work as he decided to bring up the remains of his breakfast and the water he'd just drunk :sad:

I let him rest and tried to cajole him to continue with the incentive of something to eat/drink at the ice cream parlour but he stubbornly didn't want to continue and I didn't want to push him so, we decided to abandon the ride and head home so a 4 mile ride and amazingly a quick recovery from Buck Jr as soon as we got home.

Ah well - at least he is OK and there's always another day to ride.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 13.00.17.png

Old jon

Guru
Just short of 32 miles today, in weather as changeable as I have seen it. I could see none of the forecast heavy mist from home, but seven miles on and three hundred feet higher there the mist was. Not so heavy after all, but it felt like it was falling on me.

Today’s route was an easy pick for all sorts of reasons, mostly to do with needing to be somewhere else later in the day. So, a scurry around Holbeck, more or less average stuff though the temporary traffic lights on Water Lane have been replaced by humans with Stop and Go signs. One wonders, at times. Escape along Great Wilson Street and Crown Point Road, across the river and up to the Oakwood Clock. A bit of a dip, past the unused gates, and the climb up Boot Hill to meet the heavy mist, which started falling properly just as I turned left onto Whin Moor Lane. Anyway, into Shadwell and turn left for Slaid Hill, then right and through Wike on the way to East Keswick and the climb past the Potts clock and along to the A 659. Turn right for Collingham and for the first time in many moons, hang left for Linton and its bridge. As reported by @NorthernDave , it is open again.

Continue into Wetherby, a little quieter than my last visit, and negotiate some back streets to find the A 58 and the straightforward route home. I almost called it the easy route, but there is a fair amount of uphill to contend with still. The mist had vertically vanished at this stage in the ride, so any steaming was just me drying out. I resisted the temptation to turn left in Collingham and climb Jewitt Lane again, though I will likely ride down it sometime soon. Bardsey, followed by the long, long drag through Scarcroft and the return to the end of Whin Moor Lane, travelling in the opposite direction though. Back down the hill, the precipitation started again, and follow the tyre tracks all the way back to home. Another enjoyable ride.

Garmin's speciality squiggles.

04092017.jpg

Top Bottom