Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A pleasant ride in the warm late afternoon sunshine for me. :sun:

Started off heading down through Downham Common and along Black Bank to Littleport. Got round the roadworks by taking to the new cycle path. All of 50 metres of it, but hey... Popped into the Co-op to see if there was anything of interest in the YS cabinet (there wasn't) so decided to extend my ride but a bit and come home the long way round.

So that's all the way through Littleport along Main Street and Victoria Street to Sandhill. Then it's over the railway, past the Swan on the Water. Loads of people there in the beer garden enjoying the views and the rays. Over the bridge across the river and a left turn onto Branch Bank before turning left onto the A10. Over the river again, then down the hill. From there it's back down Black Bank and home.

Stopped to check out an apple tree growing in the hedgerow, but I'll need jeans to get in there thanks to the nettles and thistles. Saw a stoat pootling about in the verge, and returned home to one of my cats stalking a roe deer nibbling the last few roses in the garden. :wacko:

12 miles in total, saw three other cyclists out and about, as well as loads of kids bimbling about in Littleport.

IBarrett

Über Member
I was up early to get a couple of local hills in before joining a group for what I knew would be a steady plod for 55 miles with a cafe stop.
It was very cold as I set off around 7:45 and though I told myself to go easy on the 2 local hills because both me and the air temp was cold, I still managed to beat my PB on both.
So I went off to intercept the group I was riding with but couldn't find them.
By the time I gave up riding their route backwards and turned around I reckoned I was anything up to 25 mins behind them but I set their route in my computer and set off on a chase, smashing all the hills because I knew that's where I'd make up the time.
I got lost once, and by sheer luck a couple of cyclists I knew rolled up to the junction where I was sat scratching my arse and my head. They were heading to the same cafe near Bradgate Park, Leics as the team I was chasing. My luck was in then because they were strong riders and I hadn't given up the cause of my chase. I joined them and we kept up a good pace to the cafe, where we pulled in right behind the group I had been chasing. Result!

Double egg and toast and a coffee and I was set for the plod home.
Only it wasn't a plod because one of the guys was a strong hill climber who I used to chase up hills - and mostly lost - until he had an off earlier this year and broke his collar bone.
So we smashed a few hills until I had nothing left in the tank so had no choice but to sit back with the group and plod home.

All my best intentions of doing jobs at home this afternoon disappeared as soon as I sat in the chair in the sun and shut my eyes. Zzzzzzzzzz

59.7 miles at an average of 16.7
Lots of new Strava PBs and a new 40km record in 48mins.
I'm thoroughly knackered and feeling every one of my 54 years.

But it was a cracking day.

Wobbly John

Veteran
A pleasant ride in the warm late afternoon sunshine for me. :sun:

Started off heading down through Downham Common and along Black Bank to Littleport. Got round the roadworks by taking to the new cycle path. All of 50 metres of it, but hey... Popped into the Co-op to see if there was anything of interest in the YS cabinet (there wasn't) so decided to extend my ride but a bit and come home the long way round.

Spotted you as you left the Co-op. :smile:

graham56

Guru
IMG_0137.JPG IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0150.JPG IMG_0163.JPG Just back from 10 hoofing days cycling in the Netherlands where the cyclist is king.:bicycle:
It's a shame our country doesn't have the same set up, we have a long way to catch up.
Tour van windmills ^_^

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Here's the big news: 100.9 miles! My first ever 100 ^_^ Been getting up early on Saturdays all summer long building up from 25 miles and today was where I hit my target for the summer. Turned out to be quite hilly - I'd planned a flattish 100 for my first ton but my planning was poor. Just over 7000 feet of climbing.

Anyway, headed out at 6:30 with the rising sun:

36177019493_d019c33fbc_z.jpg

The irony being these first few pictures, just a few minutes and a few miles from home, were the best pics of the day!

You can see Gloucester Cathedral in this one:
36177025123_4c90012f1a_z.jpg

Lots of rivers in this ride, here's the one closest to home, the Severn:
36985508785_b1166e03be_z.jpg

From Gloucester I headed north towards Newent, and Ross on Wye, and aimed for the area north of the M50 in Hereford, which is an area of natural beauty and was blooming lovely. Criss-crossed this area and came out in Hoarwithy where I actually did a gig just a few weeks ago. From there headed for Skenfrith on the B4521 which was a lot hillier than I remembered from my motorcycling days (1200cc does flatten the hills).

I worked my way down on B roads and farm tracks to Rockfield (home of the studio - though I didn't see the studio or any rock stars), then Monmouth, and on to Tintern where I treated myself to a break (never had a break on any of my rides leading up to this one). Biggest slice of bread pudding they had!

36985513285_eac7c400dd_z.jpg

Took a few snaps of the area. Here's the old bridge from a distance:
36985507275_c83ce07c34_z.jpg

And here close up:
36985510605_e3cbc61142_z.jpg

Obligatory bike in front of a river pic (the Wye):
36985512335_b5706b0912_z.jpg

And the abbey, of course:
36149669414_9cace5092b_z.jpg

Then it was on down (or rather up, in terms of feet) to Chepstow, and onto the bridge:
36985509425_1d76744414_z.jpg

And some arty shots:
36985507585_30333fdbf8_z.jpg

36985508075_33f2041c4a_z.jpg

Then it was back into the land of the noble:
36149676044_92394cbed8_z.jpg

Although at this point there was still 40 miles of bad road to cover (as Duane Eddy once twanged).

Thoroughly enjoyed the day and well chuffed at getting into three figures :bicycle:

Derek

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Here's the big news: 100.9 miles! My first ever 100 ^_^ Been getting up early on Saturdays all summer long building up from 25 miles and today was where I hit my target for the summer. Turned out to be quite hilly - I'd planned a flattish 100 for my first ton but my planning was poor. Just over 7000 feet of climbing.

Anyway, headed out at 6:30 with the rising sun:

View attachment 371391
The irony being these first few pictures, just a few minutes and a few miles from home, were the best pics of the day!

You can see Gloucester Cathedral in this one:
View attachment 371392

Lots of rivers in this ride, here's the one closest to home, the Severn:
View attachment 371393

From Gloucester I headed north towards Newent, and Ross on Wye, and aimed for the area north of the M50 in Hereford, which is an area of natural beauty and was blooming lovely. Criss-crossed this area and came out in Hoarwithy where I actually did a gig just a few weeks ago. From there headed for Skenfrith on the B4521 which was a lot hillier than I remembered from my motorcycling days (1200cc does flatten the hills).

I worked my way down on B roads and farm tracks to Rockfield (home of the studio - though I didn't see the studio or any rock stars), then Monmouth, and on to Tintern where I treated myself to a break (never had a break on any of my rides leading up to this one). Biggest slice of bread pudding they had!

View attachment 371394

Took a few snaps of the area. Here's the old bridge from a distance:
View attachment 371395

And here close up:
View attachment 371396

Obligatory bike in front of a river pic (the Wye):
View attachment 371397

And the abbey, of course:
View attachment 371398

Then it was on down (or rather up, in terms of feet) to Chepstow, and onto the bridge:
View attachment 371399

And some arty shots:
View attachment 371400

View attachment 371401

Then it was back into the land of the noble:
View attachment 371402

Although at this point there was still 40 miles of bad road to cover (as Duane Eddy once twanged).

Thoroughly enjoyed the day and well chuffed at getting into three figures :bicycle:

Derek

Many congratulations on doing your first 100 miler. :notworthy:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well done @delb0y .:bravo::bravo::highfive::bravo::okay::notworthy::bravo::cheers:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
So Fridays ride, sunny day what's not to like?

Well, it was my day for forgetting things. I spotted this fisherman, standing on the bank, and reached for my camera. Yep, I'd forgotten it. So the phone had to deputise.

IMG_0560.JPG

It wasn't too much further on when I fancied a drink, and found I'd forgotten my pack. Since I was only a mile and a half from home, at one of our early ride limits, I turned round to fetch it. And I forgot my camera again.

It was quite busy along the canal, one couple I seemed to be continually passing/being passed by.

2.jpg

This, I thought was a rather strange looking vessel, I think I've seen it before.

IMG_0563.JPG

My aim was the extend my ride a bit, maybe get it up to thirty miles, or at least reach the Aylesbury arm. What I didn't expect was the beauty of the reservoirs. I lived near them for a while but rarely went near them.

IMG_0564.JPG

And I did make it to the Aylesbury arm. That lock is pretty deep, and followed by a similar lock.

IMG_0565.JPG

The place I ate lunch, there were dragonflies flying.
IMG_0566.JPG

My ride back wasn't so good through Berkhamsted.

1.jpg

30.3 miles max 20 avg 7.6 mph. Year to date, 314.3 miles, Target 500 miles

Oops, my forgetfulness clearly continued to yesterday, so I've added the bits I've forgotten.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
My ride yesterday took me to the upper Lambourn Valley, between Great Shefford and Ashbury, absolutely one of my favourite cycling venues. This was a ride which had been planned for some time.

The story is this. There is an obscure 1980s opera called Yan Tan Tethera by Harrison Birtwistle. The plot involves a shepherd from the north of England who moves down south. Yan Tan Tethera (One Two Three) is a traditional method of counting sheep. When his sheep become interspersed with the sarsen stones which occur at several locations in Berkshire and Wiltshire, he has difficulty counting his sheep in the failing light.

Sep02e.JPG

Not so hard in bright sunshine, but you get the idea.

My route took me through Cheltenham and up the big hill on the Cirencester road. The Churn Valley was as pretty as ever. Instead of continuing into Cirencester I diverted left just before the by-pass and navigated some quiet and often extremely rough roads to Lechlade. The trend was generally down but a few upward-sloping walls intervened.

After Lechlade I took the main road route to Wantage and the long climb to the RIdgeway. I think I can remember once failing on the initial climb out of Wantage. I was probably still using my Viscount Aerospace with a bottom of 42x24, but neverthess my fear of it remained. The climb to the Ridgeway features three separate steep sections with downhill respites between them. It seemed pretty hard, so I took a pause for reflection at the Ridgeway:

Sep02a.JPG

There is a lovely minor road descent to Great Shefford in the Lambourn Valley, after which to road climbs steadily through increasingly gorgeous scenery towards the Ridgeway again. A few pictures attempt to do it justice:

Sep02b.JPG

Sep02c.JPG

Sep02d.JPG

Regretfully leaving the valley, where the climb is never anything other than gentle, I proceeded through Shrivenham and Highworth to the Thames at Castle Eaton.

Sep02f.JPG

This was about two-thirds distance, and I was starting to struggle. I couldn't seem to find a decent rhythm on the flat roads through the Water Park, and I stopped once more for this picture of the canal lock and house at Cerney Wick. If I'd been less tired I might have taken more care over the contrast:

Sep02g.JPG

My faltering way continued, eventually reaching the Cotswold ridge and descending into the Stroud Valley. Life became a little easier after that and the final miles felt more convincing. The Quedgeley by-pass is not always my preferred option but I was glad of it yesterday.

With a final nod to Yan Tan Tethera, yesterday's distance was confirmed at 123.54 miles.

Old jon

Guru
'With a final nod to Yan Tan Tethera, yesterday's distance was confirmed at 123.54 miles'
@Aravis shame about the final two digits.
I think the dialect is Swaledale, based on nothing more than the Jake Thackeray song, 'Go Lonely Swale.' Or thereabouts. Wharfedale, I think, remembered from Ella Pontefract's book of that name, has a slightly different way of counting. ' Yan, tan tether, pether, pimp.' Celtic in origin, I wonder how it was originally written?

Mr Celine

Discordian
Saturday's ride.
Melrose, Newtown St Boswells to Kelso. It wasn't clear where today's TOB finish line is going to be - but I hope they aren't intending sprinting on the cobbles in the square, it's hard enough riding over them at my sort of speeds. I then carried on south towards Yetholm round the lochside road, which I'd never been on before, so stopped for a quick photo.

IMG_20170902_150959.jpg

I then turned south into the Kale valley, deeper into the Cheviots before turning off at Hownam to tackle the Whitton Edge climb. I stopped at the top to get my breath back and look out for any bike-waving eejits.
IMG_20170902_155523.jpg

At this point the road joins Dere Street, the former roman road from Corbridge. After 200m it turns to the north as its destination at Trimontium comes into view on the horizon. Unfortunately only the next two miles are rideable tarmac and I have to take a more tortuous and hilly route back home.
IMG_20170902_155928.jpg

100km on a glorious day for a cycle, the incessant gale of the last two months has at last abated.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
'With a final nod to Yan Tan Tethera, yesterday's distance was confirmed at 123.54 miles'
@Aravis shame about the final two digits.
I think the dialect is Swaledale, based on nothing more than the Jake Thackeray song, 'Go Lonely Swale.' Or thereabouts. Wharfedale, I think, remembered from Ella Pontefract's book of that name, has a slightly different way of counting. ' Yan, tan tether, pether, pimp.' Celtic in origin, I wonder how it was originally written?
Haha, I hadn't thought of that. TBH I was pretty fixated on getting the 123 right. Just occasionally I've known Strava to shave two or three tenths off what the GPS has actually recorded, so I took the long way round the school at the end of my road to push it past the extra half mile. If Strava had reported the ride as 122.9 it really would have spoilt the effect I was going for.

There's an extensive Wikipedia page on these dialect counting systems - apparently they do vary considerably from locality to locality. It seems that hickory, dickory, dock has the same origin.

Top Bottom