Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
I've just repeated a 16 mile route that Jay sent me, this time in the daylight to appreciate the lovely countryside. On Tuesday, I left in the fading light and enjoyed the empty quietness, shared with rabbits, bats and owls. Today I stopped to feed the horses and enjoyed the views. What a delightful route out through Hursley, Otterbourne, Owslebury, Morestead, Twyford, and back through Shawford then up Badgers Farm Rd to get back to Olivers Battery. A much sweeter ride because I'd started the day by calling in at the local bike shop : Peter Hansen, where they tweaked my gears and brakes for no charge. Great service.
IMG_20170831_111423.jpg
IMG_20170831_103029440_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170831_095823821_HDR.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Never hit this target yet.
Mind you , I don't commute (retired)
I did it August last year, sure it was easier then. The commuting makes up about half my annual mileage as I do it year round, and adding a little bit to the way home makes the target a bit easier. I still found it hard to do 25 miles every day though.
Maybe I'll have a go at the climbing one next month..

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My legs are still tired but I responded to John B's request for a ride. We met up and took to the run for Alfrick but forgot to jink after Coles Green so we ended up going the long way round to Knightwick. Next came the climb from Whitbourne to Clifton then a lumpy run over to Kyre where the climb isn't an easy one. We looped by Bockleton for Pudleston. It really should be a straightforward descent to Risbury but the road takes a couple or so steep ups in too. Now it was an easy run to England's Gate and the cafe at the Golf Club. Time for refreshments and more chat.

Our return route was quite traditional by Withington and Yarkhill. The ramps to Stanley Hill hurt a bit as the legs were still complaining. Then through the lane to Bosbury lined us up for a return over the Wyche. Now the legs had had enough. We chatted before parting. I just had the long drop down to complete my ride. Another one in the bag. 69 smiles and the forecast heavy showers never materialised.

xzenonuk

Veteran
here is a pic of the bike in portobello :smile:

got a puncture kit and spare chain links plus a multi tool and a spare tube and a chain tool in the saddle bag, think i got most stuff covered :smile:

if all else fails i can always hit my phone and say daaaad taaaxxxxiiiii :tongue:

Attachments

• 20170830_150756.jpg
    20170830_150756.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A somewhat time limited ride this morning as SWMBO wanted to go shopping minus kids, so only an hour spare. I'm debating the Strava climbing challenge this month, and at 8000 metres of climbing means 267m a day. I managed 272m in 19 miles this morning without really going up any of the local 'proper' hills. I did manage Prune Hill, Callow Hill and Middle Hill, but missed Egham, Tite, Priest and Crimp Hills, so I think there's enough to do it, but like the distance challenge, achieving the required m/day is going to be tough, and the commute won't help as it's flat.
Anyway, a brief ride with the boy bought me to 311 metres done.

Ride his morning.
As I have a 100 mile Sportive on Sunday, wanted a workout but not too hard
Went to Egham, up Prune, Tite and Crimp Hills and over to Chertsey and St Ann's Hill
26.8 miles @ 16.4 mph
https://www.strava.com/activities/1162666962/

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Good afternoon everyone. A beautiful day here, so off i went for a 20 mile jaunt to Machynlleth and back. Quite a lot of traffic today. The last of the holidaymakers are begining to leave as the kids go back to school on Monday. I was going to extend my ride, but some dubious looking clouds made me err on the side of cauction.
20170901_124620.jpg
20170901_121636.jpg
20170901_120627.jpg
20170901_121323.jpg
20170901_114631.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Blue skies and sunshine again! Remember the hat, ‘cos the hair does not cover the scalp anymore, and pedal off in the direction of away.

Easy said, and eventually done, but I left the house with no route in mind. Not even a village to aim for. As ever, the wander around Holbeck provided what could generously be called inspiration and a little right to left jiggle at the end of Water Lane had the bike pointing through Hunslet and towards the climb to John o’ Gaunts. Turn left for Woodlesford and the descent past the station, Garmin says 25 mph down there and on the fixed that is pretty good for me. Left again at the bottom to cross both canal and river and heave up the two step climb into Swillington. A bit more heave and then the drop to the Garforth roundabout which today had a queue on the way in, and decided me to ride around the northern side of the place. For a change and also missing Garforth Cliff. At the other side of the town is that enormous roundabout that straddles the M 1. I had decided to go right, onto the Castleford road ( A 656 if memory serves ) and it really is a long way around that bit of road adornment. Quiet enough though. Some way along is the left turn for Micklefield.

Once the village is reached, yet another left turn for Aberford but once the B 1217 crossroads is reached and to relieve the monotony, turn right to eventually reach Lotherton Gates. And yet another left turn. Yes, the visit to Aberford was only postponed for a few minutes of riding. I almost always ride this next bit home from the gates but of course it is different every time. Not many cars parked in Aberford which made it less of a dash turning right at the end of Lotherton Lane and easier for the left onto Cattle Lane. Further towards Barwick, I waved a bus past on the climb up to the maypole, and as I reached that monument there was a lot of nasty looking spillage along the road. I missed most of it, turned the corner and found a gutter cleaning thing dragging a tail of vehicles, bus included, in the direction I wanted to ride. The tail eventually passed the thing and so did I, happily, to continue along my way through Scholes to the A 64, where a left and a right onto Thorner Lane took me to Skeltons Lane and eventually to the A 58, followed by the traverse of Leeds and back home.

Thirty point six miles in just warm enough weather. A good ride for a Friday, or any other day of the week.

One map,

01092017.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Currently sat in the hotel lounge, slowly being driven nuts by the sound of bagpipe music ... from which you will gather that I'm back North of the border again.
We are about as far North as you can get, and drove to John O'Groats and back today in glorious sunshine. I was amazed just how many "end-to-enders" we spotted out on the roads around Thurso, Wick and J O'G. We are staying in Tongue at the moment, so as soon as we got back I headed out on the bike around both sides of the Kyle of Tongue ... first to the West onto the Melness Peninsula through Talmine to the end of the road at a village called Midfield and then back across the causeway to the other side of the Kyle and on through Coldbackie to the village of Scullomie before returning to Tongue once more. Made it back to get home and hosed with 1 minute to spare before our evening meal . Never in doubt.:whistle:
As for the ride .... Guess what? It rained. Never mind. This place is beautiful in any weather.
For once I took a selfie where I don't look stern!
DSCF4713.JPG

Talmine Beach:
DSCF4715.JPG

(Cows only):
DSCF4716.JPG

When I got to Scullomie (which sounded to me like it ought to be one of the sins mentioned in the Ten Commandments), I stopped to take a picture of the village of Coldbackie ... and I swear I picked up the strong scent of wackybackie coming from a bit of a hippy shack. Having trouble downloading any more pictures, so may save some for a later post. A shame, as I got some lovely views of the wild North Atlantic coast.
A total of 24.2 absolutely beautiful miles done tonight. I'm back in the game. Cheers, Donger.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Did manage to download a few more.
Midfield (Melness peninsula) ... North Atlantic visible in the background:
DSCF4721.JPG

From just north of Tongue, looking West across the Kyle of Tongue. You could actually hear the tide coming in, as there was a shoal (just visible) offshore that was making a roaring noise. Shame I didn't see a single seal this time though:
DSCF4727.JPG

View of Coldbackie from Scullomie:
DSCF4730.JPG

A truly beautiful place to cycle. If I ever do LE-JO'G Ill make sure I avoid Wick and do Bonar Bridge-Lairg-Altnaharra-Tongue and then on to Thurso and JO'G along the North coast. Much more scenic and nice quiet roads.
Donger.

Top Bottom