Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
That looks like fabby scenery to ride through @Donger - lucky you :notworthy:
Reminds me very much of my rides in the Hebrides. I've been champing at the bit for weeks waiting for this chance, and it doesn't disappoint.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A 15 mile bimble for me today. Perfect temperature, but the clouds looked a bit iffy to say the least. Lots of traffic on the roads this morning. 4 cyclists, and a few cars towing caravans.
20170902_122219.jpg
20170902_121610.jpg
20170902_114958.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Up early today, but much faffing later (not all of my own making for a change) it was just after 8am when tyre finally hit tarmac and I got underway.

I had a plan for todays ride, but almost inevitably it started wending up Coal Road ad the usual selection of roads through Shadwell and on to Slaid Hill lights, before looping back towards Thorner via Tarn lane and Scarcroft, with the testing climb up Scarcroft Hill (aka Hellwood) made that little bit more challenging by the road at the bottom of the hill being covered in a slippery mix of water running off the fields and loads of fine gravel meaning there's no chance of carrying any speed into the climb.
Anyway, the top was reached and onto Milner Lane across the ridge to East Rigton, then straight onto Compton Lane, which was wonderfully quiet with not a single vehicle to be seen today, just two very cheery dog walkers and their hounds.
This brought me to Jewitt lane, where recently I've been turning right up the hill, but today I turned left of the twisty, unsighted and always interesting descent into Collingham, which was over all too soon and saw me turn left onto School Lane,which runs parallel to the A58 but has virtually no traffic - much nicer. :okay:
Across the A58 by Tesco and onto the A659 for a quick sprint down to the right onto Linton Road and I spotted something that shouldn't be there - a Road Closed sign. There's been a load of publicity about Linton Bridge re-opening today but was it actually open..?
Along the nicely resurfaced road (it was lumpy as 'eck before) and another road closed sign and then two highways vans blocking the road.
Reasoning that you get further with sugar than salt, I had a quick word with one of the highways people who confirmed that the bridge was re-opening today - but not until an official opening ceremony at noon, a full three hours away. Oh no!:eek:
But he then said "Oh you'll be fine going over on the bike though, I think you'll be the first one".
Good stuff, so a quick thanks and I was off, stopping midway for a couple of photos:
20170902_113808-ANIMATION.gif
IMG_20170902_090028038_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170902_090101630_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170902_090117615_HDR.jpg

Anyway, not wanting to outstay my welcome, it was back on the bike, round the van blocking the other entrance to the bridge and into Linton - apparently the first cyclist to complete this journey since Boxing Day 2015 (possibly...) :laugh:
Through the village where they were setting up for the official celebrations, stopping at the sign post for another pic:
IMG_20170902_090451722.jpg

In the saddle again and through the village, enjoying the ups and downs before taking the right to Wetherby, through a very busy town centre, dodging yet more road works and down to the Wilderness Car Park for a quick breather:
IMG_20170902_091446336_HDR.jpg

Up the climb out of the car park, and from there it's a familiar route across the A1(M) bridge and into the countryside beyond the racecourse and eventually to the Thorp Arch turning, down to the village and adding a loop on via Dowkell lane and Church Causeway, before crossing the river again and climbing up into Boston Spa.
Along Main Street and suddenly gridlock at temporary traffic lights. Being on the bike meant I could dodge it, but the queues at either end of the roadworks were horrendous, caused by traffic in all directions being stopped while something was being loaded (or unloaded) from the roadworks onto a truck.
The good news is that this gave me a virtually traffic free run up to Bar Lane, where I turned and descended down the hill, before climbing up through Clifford where I took my final photo of the day:
IMG_20170902_095250307.jpg

Notice the new green Garmin case? It makes me at least 0.01 mph faster simply by matching the bike :whistle:

Down the hill into Bramham, followed by the inevitable climb up out of the village and onto Paradise Way for the straight run to Bramham Crossroads, followed by the equally straight run to Aberford, much of which I nicely downhill.
Realising that if I took the direct route home via Cattle Lane I'd come up a few km's short of a metric half, I then climbed back out of Aberford and headed via Garforth, across the M1 roundabout entertaining the motorists by taking primary all the way round, and then the A642 which after a short climb drops into Garforth.
Dropping down to the Town End traffic lights it was chaos, so I filtered past the queuing traffic and took the bike path past the lights ^_^ onto Barwick Road while the assorted motorists got themselves in a right pickle of honking horns and confused priorities.

Under the railway bridge, back over the M1 and round the S bends, climbing Long Lane into Barwick and then the familiar climb almost all the way to Scholes before the drop down Leeds Road, over Cock Beck and onto local roads up to home, with a final loop of the block to push the mileage on.

35.15 miles (56.56km) in 2h 35m at an average of 13.7mph with 1,860ft climbed.

I'm happy with that as I didn't set out to break any records today, but got my metric half banked for the challenge this month and cycled across the bridge at Linton. Absolutely glorious cycling weather as well - sunny and warm, but not too hot, almost no wind. Not as many cyclists out and about though today.

And to end, a map:
02092017.JPG

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The forecast for today was sun from the off, but last night around 9pm there was an almighty storm, heavy rain, thunder and lightning for an hour or so.
I set of in cool, grey clag. I had arm warmers and a gilet on, but no leg warmers. My left knee was feeling the cold after injuring it 3 weeks ago. That was the last time I rode this bike. I've changed the chainrings since, so there shouldn't be a problem....

Over Chapel Hill in the saddle as I'm not 100% confident the chain won't slip. Someone flew past me like a rocket, but they blew before the top, I sauntered past, trying not to be smug...

Coming in to Bassingbourn my chain jumped from the big to the small ring, I changed up again, it jumped down again. I can't fathom this one out. I wouldn't be out of the saddle for all the ride then!

To compensate, the sun came out, I stripped off. Then the sun went behind a big cloud! I warmed up by the time I got to Ashwell. I stopped at Days Bakery. All half timbered elegance. One of these vehicles belongs to me...
IMG_4517.JPG

Just along this row, to the left is the Guild House
IMG_4521.JPG

The spire of Ashwell church is visible for a mile or two, but I'd never clapped eyes on what was under the lid
IMG_4523.JPG

On through the Mordens, then head in the direction of Wimpole, but taking a left to go up Croydon Hill. It's an average of 10%, but gets to 18. I just sat and spun.

Through Hatley and the gentle run down to Gamlingay. No wedding today though
IMG_4526.JPG

A quick trip through Waresley, no tea stop today, then Abbotsley, then the turn for Croxton
IMG_4528.JPG

All quiet, then a lucky break over the A428.
The Graveley windfarm was sat idle today, as windless as it gets
IMG_4530.JPG

Over the A1198 and through Hilton to see the sad sight of new road construction. I'll concede that the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon is crap, but I don't like to see green being ripped up
IMG_4531.JPG

Home past the White Swan in Connington, not stopping though.... you can tell I wasn't on the tandem. She's such a bad influence! I missed her today though. It was interesting. Most of my riding has been tandem this year, and this being my longest solo ride for an age seemed a bit lonely. I've gone bloody soft!

63 miles all told, knee slightly sore. I enjoyed it though!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1164325619

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A trip out with @gavgav and Doug today for Gav's first ride up the Long Mynd.:hyper:

He came over to mine then we set out about 10am into pretty much perfect cycling conditions with barely a breath of wind and lots of :sun:.

The first challenge of the day was getting out of the village. There are roadworks and we had to join the queue and wait for the lights which stayed on red for ages. We made some good progress once we did get through though.

There were lots of other cyclists about today and we even overtook a couple shortly after Ryton. They caught up again near to Longnor and we find that they were heading for a loop to Acton Burnell then back to Shrewsbury.

Our paths soon seperated as we headed for Leebotwood and the start of the climb up to High Park. As you've probably gathered this is the same route I brought Doug on last week. This time, having already done the ride, he knew he could manage the hill and I found he and Gav were pulling away from me at times.

After Woolstaston we reached the steepest part of the climb. We took this steady and were overtaken by a guy on a lightweight flat-bar bike who was puffing like a steam engine. Having got one over on us he then ran out of puff and while we paused for a breather and a drink just after the crossroads, he had to get off and push.:whistle:

No further stops were needed by us until after the cattle grid at the top (photo stop) then we carried on across Wild Moor to Shooting Box and onwards to the summit (Pole Bank).

It was even busier at the top than last time and not surprising given the lovely weather and excellent visibility today. Cadair Idris (about 65 miles away) was easy to pick out which isn't often the case and the summit of Snowdon could just be seen.

We had our lunch up here then took the path south from Pole Bank before doubling back along the road to Boiling Well and down the Burway.

Down in Church Stretton there was a bit more of a breeze than there had been earlier and it was in our favour so we got along well heading back towards Great Ryton where we'd agreed to stop at The Fox for a drink. Hereford Pale Ale was on tap. :cheers:

The legs had stiffened up a bit during the stop but they did ease after a mile or so and we enjoyed a quick run to Condover and up to the A49 which unusually was completely clear.

29.2 miles this time at 11.1 mph average. Gav and Doug did very well. All the recent riding has paid off.:okay:

DSC0005025.jpg

Doug (closest) and Gav winding their way up to Woolstaston.

DSC0005027.jpg

At the top of the High Park climb.

DSC0005030.jpg

En route to Pole Bank

DSC0005031.jpg

At the summit.

DSC0005032.jpg

The view to the Stiperstones.

DSC0005033.jpg

Gav inspects the toposcope.

DSC0005035.jpg

Well earned drinks at The Fox.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
First Saturday of the month, forecast all week has been great, so time to get out and get the months imperial done nice and early.

The plan was to ride out to East Midlands Airport and bag the squares around there and end up at Nice Pie for a break at 100 miles and then a gentle stroll home to complete the 200km.

Out of the door just before 06:30, blimey it was cold. Beautiful clear skies but very chilly, had the arm warmers on and a pair of full fingered liners over the fingerless gloves.

After 12 miles I hit the mist and it was very very misty. It was that bad I turned on the rear light and the to be seen front light that lives on the road bike, luckily both lights worked as neither light had been used all year. The mist stayed with me for the next 20 miles or so, but once it had gone it was blue sky and blazing sun and a lot warmer. Liners and warmers taken off and stuffed in the back pocket.

I went down some cracking roads, in particular Forties Road which runs parallel with the B5006 out of Smisby and the A514 next to Swarkestone gravel pit. This was a busy road but it had walls either side of it, it was like riding on the perimeter atop a castle.

One of the squares I had to get was on a bridleway which basically was a grass road. Had a nice chat with a lady walker and then a farmer stopped his tractor to tell me that I shouldn't be riding my bike down the footpath. I couldn't be bothered to argue with him and tell him he was wrong, instead I was nice and polite and told him I was being careful and I only had to go around the corner and I would turn back (which I was going to do anyway)

The lady walker thought he was a right miserable bugger :laugh:

When I got to Nice Pie the place was packed and normally I would have just cracked on, but I really needed a break so ordered a latte and chocolate cake and went and sat in the sun. Took them about 30 minutes to bring it to me but the sun was shining and I needed the rest so I wasn't complaining.

By the time I got home I had done exactly 128 miles and bagged 50 new squares.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1164550694

gavgav

Guru
@Rickshaw Phil has been "threatening" to get me up to the summit of The Longmynd for a good few years now, and today was the day! :ohmy:

A glorious sunny morning, hardly any wind, as I set off for the short journey up to his house. His brother Doug was joining us as well and we set off towards Condover, having to pause for a few minutes as the umpteenth set of roadworks in Bayston Hill this year.

Once through, we made good progress to Condover, Ryton and Longnor, even overtaking a couple of other cyclists (doesn't happen often!). Arriving in Leebotwood, we were back onto the A49 for a short section and then we turned off to begin the start of my longest ever climb. The initial section, up to Woolstaston isn't too steep, but then things ramp up considerably. We were overtaken by a chap on a bike here, but as we reached the first of the steeper sections, we could see he had got off and was walking up :whistle:.

We were heading to High Park and the clue is in the name, with a couple of steep sections requiring bottom granny gear, but we kept winding our way up, enjoying the fabulous scenery and crossed the Cattle Grid onto The Longmynd mountain.

Pausing for a breather
IMG_0212.JPG

@Rickshaw Phil with some fabulous scenery behind him
IMG_0213.JPG

We were still climbing, but much more gently, across Wild Moor and Pole Bank, using the bridleways now, and passing a few walkers also enjoying the weather. We arrived at the summit and it was busy with walkers and cyclists. Such a great feeling to get to the top under your own steam.

IMG_0215.JPG

We had lunch in the sunshine, enjoying the stunning clear views to Cader Idris, Snowdon, The Brecon Beacons and The Malvern Hills (awesome) :okay:

The descent was now to come and we headed to Boiling Well, then down The Burway, getting some good speeds but with a heavy use of the brakes at times! We arrived in Church Stretton, which was very busy and then turned North, with the slightly strengthening wind now behind us, meaning we cruised at good speed to All Stretton.

We had an easy cross over the A49 at a nasty junction and then more fast downhill back to Longnor. The section back to Ryton was also good fun, with me drafting behind Phil, before we stopped at The Fox and enjoyed a lovely pint of HPA in the sunshine :cheers:

Me
IMG_0218.JPG

Phil
IMG_0216.JPG

Setting off back from the pub was hard work for a few minutes, with stiff legs, but they soon loosened up and we had another fast descent to Condover, then back to the A49, which we crossed with no sign of any traffic! That doesn't happen very often at all.

Back through the village and arrived back at Phil's, feeling very chuffed at how enjoyable the ride had been. My last couple of rides on the hybrid have seen it develop an annoying squeak when changing gear. Phil popped the bike up on his stand and had a look, oiling the Derailleur and the Jockey Wheels.

I rode back home to mine and the squeak seems to have disappeared :okay:, so hopefully that is sorted.

33.9 miles at 11.0 mph, with 2188 ft of climbing, including my longest single climb of 1066 ft (300 ft more than my previous best).

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After finishing work in the early hours I found myself wide awake at 0800hrs, so up and out. Figured I'd get some climbing in, and have a go at getting the metric half done for September. The usual roads through Lyne and Virginia Water. Managed a few hills including Callow Hill both ways, Middle Hill and for the first time in ages did Priest Hill (a notable PB today, some 4 seconds faster than last time:laugh:. Mind you, nearly 2 full minutes quicker than my first effort in 2014 and I didn't feel too bad at the top).
33 miles done with 585m of climbing, ticking along nicely.

Top Bottom