Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
I think it's been over 2 years since I last saw @jayonabike due to his illness, but he's better now so I thought I should get my arse into gear and get myself up to Hemel for a ride, meeting up with Jay, John and Dave.
I left home this morning at 6.45am to a fine drizzle, but it was mild. It rained the whole way up to Euston station where I got the train. Meeting Jay & chums in Apsley it was still raining but it didn't last long. It proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable day and ride. Even the rain at first and the mucky country lanes didn't spoil it. Jay chose and absolute cracker of a route. Rolling country lanes with some great views. A fair few thigh busting climbs and some awesome descents (51.1mph max) I do really love the cycling in that part of the country.
Back to Kings Langley where I got a train back to Euston and where I knocked out the miles to home to make up the imperial century.
Mucky bike is now clean again, thank gawd for mudguards :smile:

It's really good to see Jay back on the bike and enjoying his cycling. It's like he's never been away. He can still cycle like a demon. Cheers mate.

So scores on the doors.
Century # 29 for the year, Century #226 over all and the 83rd century month in a row. It also brings up the 10'000 cycling mile for 2017

View attachment 376499

View attachment 376500

View attachment 376501
Is the photo of your bike in black and white so we can't see the dirt on it mines filthy.

13 rider

Guru
As @Supersuperleeds mentioned in his post last minute decision to do the planned ride and home late from work so rookie mistake was not fitting mud guards . Spent the evening getting the plotted route by @tallliman on to my wahoo just as back up . But turned out I was the one with the correct route .
Tough ride in drizzle early doors then a headwind and dragging @Supersuperleeds round for most of it although he took the odd turn on the front just to get out of my spray :laugh: October's Imperial ton done 115.9 miles my 3rd longest ride . Thanks for @Supersuperleeds for organising the ride even if I still had to lead .With the weather I wouldn't have gone for such a big ride without the commitment of meeting @Supersuperleeds . Bonus of over 80 new veloviewer squares ^_^

On last weeks forum ride I announced I was going to do my October imperial century today. @13 rider said he would be in @tallliman said he may be in depending on other commitments.

So I shared the route with them that I had planned, @tallliman suggested some changes which I took on board and revised the route.

During the week the weather forecast was horrendous for today so in my mind I had binned the ride. However Saturday afternoon this suddenly changed so I decided do the ride. Messaged the other two and @13 rider could join me.

So hurriedly got everything ready. Got up this morning and when it finally started getting light I noticed the roads were very wet. So I decided to do the ride on the Diverge as it has mudguards.

Set off at just before 7am with the plan to meet @13 rider 12-13 miles along the route at around 7:50 - 7:55.

Rookie mistake 1) Forgot to turn the lights on, was pretty gloomy when I set off, so after a few hundred yards stopped and turned them on. Stopped at the cash machine to get some cash and it had started raining, so rain jacket went on.

Rookie mistake 2) Got to the meet and realised since I had switched bikes the chocolate I normally take on a long ride was sat in the garage in the saddle bag on the other bike.

Anyway we set off, chatting away in the gloom and very light drizzle - it eventually stopped but I don't know where.

We get into Loughborough and @13 rider says we need to make a turn, I notice we have gone off route, then I twig, Rookie mistake 3) I had loaded the original route I had planned, the revised one was sat on the computer at home.

We got through Derby okay and got to the cafe stop at around 70 miles. Hot drink and cheese and ham toasty for me; hot drink and beans on toast for @13 rider

The cafe stop was at Fradley and was right on the Trent and Mersey Canal - lots of cyclists there and would definitely recommend it. Anyway we start to leave and I decide to plug my GPS into the power pack, it still had 50% but tends to just tell you it is turning off when you get below 25%. Rookie Mistake 4) I had the wrong lead with me. Since I also didn't have the route I turned the brightness on the screen right down in the hope I would get home before it turned off.

Apart from lots of wind - weather not bean induced and not energy it was a fairly quiet ride back apart from at some point one of the stays snapped on the rear mudguard. Quick cable tie bodge (cheers @13 rider) and away, until at some point it started making a right racket, the other stay had snapped!

We part ways at Ratby and my battery is on red! But I got home in time before it died. 128 miles for me and a few milestones achieved today. Broke 16,000 miles for the year, 91,000 miles since I recorded my first ride (24th Nov 2012) and equalled my record imperial haul in a year (22) with two months to go.

Most definitely would not have done this ride without @13 rider as I wasn't feeling it today, so big thank you to him

https://www.strava.com/activities/1210627870

Hope you liked the route! I love the stop at Fradley, the only place I know that serves Squones!

13 rider

Guru
Hope you liked the route! I love the stop at Fradley, the only place I know that serves Squones!
The route was fine but next time can you check there's not a running event on the cycle path in Derby it was a bit busy around there as they got ready for the start .Is there 2 cafes at fradley we used the one near the caravan park

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Woke up late this morning and decided, on a whim, to try for a qualifying 50km ride today. I had intended to do two loops of the 15 mile route I have been doing this week, but got to Kirton and, on impulse, decided to push on and get to Felixstowe to make the ride less 'boring'.
I was rewarded with this wicker family on the refurbished prom, and with a glorious tailwind heading down to the golf club turn before Old Felixstowe that pushed my top speed towards 30mph with hardily any effort. Go impulses! :okay:
(Pic includes Jay - a character from my latest book.)
Wicker Friends.JPG

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Oh Yeah, seem to remember being told there was another one. I've been to this one: https://m.facebook.com/FradleyCanalsideCafe/?locale2=en_GB

Wasn't aware of the running event I'm afraid!

We went to the other one.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I decided on a little half an hour pootle this afternoon. It stopped raining so I went out on Eric the CX and after 15 minutes, forgot to turn round and just kept going to Woodhall Spa and then decided to pop along the Water Rail Trail to Southray, because that would be nice. At Southray I just carried on to Bardney, along the rough trail there and then headed right and followed the road towards Minting. From there, I picked up the route of one of my favourite rides and followed it until the headwind got the better of me and the rain started making things just plain miserable.
I was glad to get home but I had energy left in my legs and would have carried on a bit had the weather held off a bit. Riding cold and miserable with sore knees is not my idea of fun any longer. Must be an age thing.
A nice 52km done so I am a happy thing.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Time for an Audax. I haven't ridden one for an age. The Falling Leaves from Winchcombe is one I haven't tried and it starts not far away. So I drove over and checked in. The route was an excellent one taking in some little lanes. The first 20 miles were fairly tough with many ups and downs. The lanes were quite sketchy as there had been recent rain and mud dragged out from the fields was making descending tricky. Slippy fallen leaves were also making things worse. I had rear wheel spin on some of the ups. As we headed east the ups got less. I got chatting with another rider and we were so engaged we missed a turn. Map out we sorted things to get back on route and stop at Bibury for refreshments.

Underway after beans on toast the route turned northwards for the Barringtons and Rissingtons. I recognised the lanes as the route I took to visit #2 daughter back in July when Mrs 26 and I rode the other way. The last control was at the start of an off road section through Guiting Woods. In for a penny I took to this on my 23x700c's. No worries as I rode with another rider on wider tyres. It's all about bike control really. Not long after we climbed upward along the Cotswold edge to the summit of Soudley Hill. Just one last sketchy steep descent back into Winchcombe took us to event HQ, a Ride Validation, Tea and Cake. Superb route which I'm sure I'll do again. Next time I hope the roads are dry and the sky is blue. Grey skies don't show the autumn colours off so well. 65 smiles.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Too tired to write much, but three targets met today, so I'm feeling good.
1. Metric Century a Month Challenge ride done (65.3 miles/105.1km ride).
2. First sportive done (Cotswold Autumn Classic from Cirencester) and stayed ahead of the dreaded broom wagon.
3. My 50th ride of 50 miles or more completed, giving me an Eddington Number of 50 at last.
Thanks to my good buddy Rich, who opted to see me round the course instead of going off with the group of intermediates from our club, who were doing it a lot faster than me. This was the route .... which contained at least four long, tough climbs:
260 Sportive (mid-route).jpg

As you can see, the weather was dull/drizzly, but there was a bumper turnout, with a car park full of riders at the Cirencester College. Several groups of 50 riders were started at regular intervals, and we were in one of the earlier groups, catching sight of our clubmates behind us (though not for long, as they passed us before we were out of town).
261.JPG

I snaffled up a prodigious number of fig rolls at the feed station at Poulton, as well as re-filling my bidon.
262 Cotswold Autumn Classic.JPG

Made it round in about 6 hours 14. Slightly disappointed not to beat 6 hours, but there really were some beasts of hills, and at least I got round before the broom wagon caught us. I shall sleep well tonight. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Riding back from north Norfolk today- the plan: 23 mile ride from the Wells area to Kings Lynn station, train to Ely then 15 mile ride home. The reality, got to KL station and no trains. Bus replacement. No bikes allowed on buses. I may have sworn at this point.

So, no option but to just point the bike south and start pedalling across the bleak fens. Through Watlington, Downham, the unmissable Ten Mile Bank, Littleport, Ely and Wicken. A brutal headwind all the way, barely managed 9mph for much of it. Finally home by 6, instead of 3. So my usual 38 miler became a 71 miler- at least my October mileage is off to a good start.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice ride out this morning with a mate, i needed to be back by 12am as my daughter was taking my other half and myself to lunch.
we managed to get 42 miles in before we reached the pub at about 11-20, A couple of pints and i was home at 12-30, a quick shower then of to the restraint, had a lovely meal, nice to catch up with the grandchildren. A great way to spend a Sunday. Had a couple of light showers nothing major,
https://www.strava.com/activities/1210166166

Top Bottom