Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Must be feeling a bit better today as I started the decorating again, SWMBO will be pleased, and it earns the ever important brownie points^_^
Waiting for things to dry, so headed out on a loop out towards Chobham. Didn't start well with a left hook within 500 yards of home, added to a nobber in a Jag near Foxhills but ho hum, people in their metal boxes.
First 5 miles were hard, but loosened up nicely as the ride went on. Nice to use the little lanes to circle round Chobham and back home again. 21 miles done, and maybe, just maybe I'll have a go at the metric century challenge ride tomorrow..

Wednesday ride

Out through Egham and up Prune Hill, into the Park at Bishopsgate, through the Deer Park and on to Drift Road.
First part was slow in places due to traffic

Stopped further on for a natural break and couldn't get foot unclipped in time, tumbled into the edge, unhurt though (and bike)
However somehow managed to end that garmin ride, so started another (data all intact)

Wanted to attempt an FTP test today - I am rubbish at doing these, but got a small sheltered loop, and did a couple of circuits to make it 20 minutes flat out.
6.5 miles done in that 20 mins, average power 199W

Anyway returned via the lower half of the Drift Road Loop, a different way through the park and another different way through Egham

Strava a touch out, but between the two recorded parts of the ride
38.85 miles @ 17.8 mph with 1214 feet climbed
The stats confirm my inprovement in form, and I am determined not to lose form through the winter months

https://www.strava.com/activities/1214636944 and also https://www.strava.com/activities/1214639079

Last edited:

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Horrible day today , cold and drizzle with strong headwind.
Just short of my 50k daily target but I was bushed

IMG_2150.PNG
IMG_2151.PNG
IMG_2149.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After a little bit of fettling to fix the lamp that I mentioned had broken on monday I headed out to get some miles in and give the repair a test.

It's quite windy out again so I went for a route that I thought would take advantage of it. I headed over Lyth Hill to start with and down through Condover. The wind was behind me as I headed for Cross Houses then on to Atcham where I gave the repaired lamp its first real test by going through Attingham Park and over their seven cattle grids. Nothing fell off which was nice.:okay:

There are traffic lights on the junction for Pelham Road which seemed to take an age to change, then I headed for Upton Magna. Here it occurred to me that I'd only taken one photo so I grabbed a few more as the place is quite pretty.

Uffington was the next place en route, where I turned onto the old canal path which is starting to look properly autumnal. The path is also getting pretty rough in places so I was glad to get to the other end and back onto better surfaces.

Rather than taking the direct route back I headed down to Sydney Avenue and along the riverside as far as Greyfriars Bridge which is a much nicer route.

I'd been riding into the wind again since Uffington but it really felt windy once I got to Belle Vue. A few other cyclists were going the same way and for once I was going quicker than they were (feels smug).

20.4 miles today at 13.2 mph average (It had been 15 mph until I got to Uffington).

As I write this I can see a band of rain marching across the fields towards me so am glad I went out when I did.

DSC0005184.jpg

Fettling before I start. Some glue, a couple of self tappers and I think this mount is now as as solid as it's ever going to be.

DSC0005185.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill. There are a few light showers about in the distance.

DSC0005186.jpg

DSC0005187.jpg

A couple of shots of Upton Magna. Some of the Audax crowd may be familiar with the village. This years National 400 started here.

DSC0005191.jpg

Autumnal on the old canal path.

DSC0005192.jpg

Furher on there is still some water in the canal.

DSC0005194.jpg

Sunshine not quite managing to break through at Shrewsbury.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I rode over to Upton where Pete M and Jules H were waiting. We were heading for Ross on Wye but I hoped we could take to some little used lanes for some variety. Initially it was necessary to take the standard run down through the lanes for Bromsberrow and on over Tillers' Green. That was stalled by a thorn in my back tyre. Rats - it's hedge thrashing time of year. Mrs 26 had to get back so she headed for the run along the flanks of the Marcles while we three turned for Gwynns Hill and Lyne Down. Then we looped to How Caple with me picking up yet another puncture. This time a pothole induced one. Jules provided a spare tube as I had set out with only one. Our ride along the banks of the Wye was superb with the trees displaying early autumn colour. We paused at the footbridge for a game of Pooh Sticks before climbing steeply away from the River to drop into Ross and the Abbey tea rooms.

We had a fairly lengthy refreshment stop so it was certain that Pete wouldn't get back by 4. No worries tho' as we went by Coughton and Lea to climb easily onto the ridge at Aston Crews. The views from here were superb. Dropping from Linton into the Gorsley triangle doubts set in on the navigational side. This network of lanes is very confusing. By some innate sense of direction we rode through error free, emerging from the triangle on the wonderfully named Swagwater Lane. On the spur of the moment we headed from Four Oaks to Welsh House Lane. Ketford came with a descent this time much to Jules' relief. It's steep and tough from the usual direction. Ryton saw us back on well worn roads. We parted at Welland Stone with everyone agreeing it had been a better than usual one. That's the thing - variety is the key! 71 smiles on a lovely autumn day.

Blowing a real hoolie out here in the Cambridgeshire fens, but the wind dropped a touch mid afternoon so figured I could use a ride. Wasn't feeling overly energetic, so due to the wind and roads closed for works, a couple of my usual loops were out of the question.

In the end, I just bimbled to Littleport via Downham Common and Black Bank, with a tentative plan to maybe add a few extra miles on the roads around Littleport. Extending the ride didn't happen as I popped into the Co-op to see if they had anything interesting on YS. They were late doing the mark downs, but I did ride home with a dozen sausages, a chocolate profiterole dessert and two large bars of dark chocolate stashed about my person. :blush:

Was horrible riding home into a rather nasty headwind; the wind had gotten up rather considerably compared to when I'd originally set out, and it was cold too. :cold: I think I'll be getting the winter kit out of the cupboard for next time.

Saw two cyclists - a girl riding home from school and a chap on a hybrid who overtook me on the way home, although he wasn't going that much faster than I was. Also, one elderly chap in the Co-op complimented me on my Raleigh Banana jersey. :biggrin: He said he'd not seen anything quite so bright and cheerful before. :dance:

A total of 8 rather windblown miles, but came home to a bowl of hot (homemade) soup, which was just what I needed.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After moaning about the price of the sportive I did on Sunday, Muggins now goes and buys a couple of overpriced photos of it for good measure! Oh well, what the heck. I'll probably be sticking to audaxes in future, so I thought I'd get a souvenir of what might be my only sportive. Two pictures of the Cotswold Autumn Classic 2017:
(1) Rich and me on a welcome downhill bit:
263 with Rich Wells.jpg

(2) A hilly bit (one of many) ..... one for the sadists to enjoy! :
264 Cotswold Autumn Classic, a hilly bit.jpg

Cheers, Donger.

Days-off tomorrow & Friday, so hopefully out......................

I've got annual-leave on Sunday, but meant to be heading elsewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bike selected; CGR
Weather; intermittent cloud/sun. cool, reasonably brisk headwind ('sidewind' for most of return)
Photographs from today (unless captioned otherwise)

I did go out, but not far today, as that wind was very subtle. Strong, but subtle..... it seemed to change direction several times

It was a trip, through the outskirts of Castleford
I was going to head towards FerryBridge, & Brotherton, for a 'Great North Road' fix, but went into Methley instead, & onto the side of the River Aire, & followed part of the Trans-Pennine Trail, to Woodlesford
Leaving it, via Rothwell Country Park, & up Bullough Lane, to John O Gaunts

Down, what is the A639/Leeds Road (at that point), over jct 44/M1, towards Stourton

***Locals here, may remember when the humpbacked bridge existed (which crossed a line, from Rothwell Haigh pit) & how sharp it was, if you were on a bus

At Thwaite Gate, by DM Keith Skoda (after a quick look round the forecourt, at Octavia estates), I just headed back past First Direct (previously the site of Waddingtons - as in 'Monopoly', etc....)

Up the somewhat less scary than it was, 20+ years ago, Bell Hill
*** Again, locals may remember, when it was national speed limit, & no bus/bike lane, & possibly the 'life in their hands' ride up the centre lane, for Wakefield/Rothwell. & Robin Hood??
At this point, I want the centre-lane, & invariably, motorists want the lane other than the one they're presently in
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.768797,-1.514889,151.69h,-9.96p,1z

Past Wood Lane, with the 'Jaw Bones', & old generating/relay building for the Tram power-lines, along Wakefield Road, passing amongst other places, JW Morris Garage, at the junction with Sharp Lane (which is an interesting area, as it had a Civil Defence Monitoring post there, & a Cholera Pit nearby)

No date, but photo at least 8 years old
73253_1558039083185_6530035_n.jpg

John, has a few old Fords in the showroom
I knew him about 30 years ago, & he was driving around them, in a Cortina (mark '5') Ghia
I have no idea if this is the one, or just the same colour?

Taken; Thursday 27th July 2017 (my Octavia can be seen reflected, at the road-side)
20479574_10212302706715088_34198192230156414_n.jpg 20479730_10212302708275127_610692079238430647_n.jpg 20479943_10212302706675087_3135561808823176963_n.jpg 20526109_10212302708235126_5147581857037322972_n.jpg

Over 'Halfway House', a road junction that always, always!, seemed to delineate the weather
If it was raining in Leeds, from the junction, it would invariably be dry (or visa-versa)

Past the lovely Pymont House, a 17th Century house, that I've admired for a long time, since I first saw over the wall from a bus
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.c...ouse-ardsley-and-robin-hood-ward#.WdaO7bpFzIU
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37993798.html

Over the M62, at Lofhouse, between jct 30, & Thorpe Interchange (where it meets the M1)
Down into Lofthouse Gate, sweeping onto Canal Lane, down Baker Lane (site of an odd railway bridge)

Onto Lime Pit Lane
Not sure where the 'Lime' portion came from, as there was a pit, 'Deep Drop' (still is a 'Deep Drop Cottage', by the 'Nagger Line')
http://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Local-Collierys.html

'Deep Drop Cottage' is in the background, & the narrow gauge line (was horse-drawn) is still, for whatever reason, still in situ, crossing Lime Pit Lane
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.709226,-1.47729,289.5h,-6.9p,1z

A short cut then along a short 'T-P T' section, from Aberford Road, to Stanley Ferry
The river (Calder) was high, but not silly high

Home via Birkwood Hill, 'Ship Corner' & Lee Brigg

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
With winds blowing at 16mph from the north-west today, it was clearly a day for a south-easterly ride. That, and a bargain rail fare for the return journey suggested a ride from home, near Cambridge, to Southend. I waited a while for the overnight rain to clear before setting out, but then enjoyed a beautiful clear sunny day. I took about 3 hours to cover the 47 miles to Heybridge Basin, just outside Maldon, and stopped for a bacon sandwich overlooking the River Blackwater. I then did another 37 miles to Shoeburyness, passing more of the estuaries, creeks and marinas that reach like fingers into the coastline of this flat corner of Essex. The end of the road was the MOD gates to Foulness Island, where I turned back and followed the sea front around to Southend. It was a lovely afternoon to be by the sea. I had plenty of time to catch the 17.10 train back to London, and another one home.

No maps but a few pictures:
Heybridge Basin ; River Crouch at Battlesbridge
20171005 Southend ride (5) Heybridge Basin.JPG
20171005 Southend ride (13) Battlesbridge.JPG

MOD at Foulness - the end of the road for me ; Shoeburyness
20171005 Southend ride (15) Foulness.JPG
20171005 Southend ride (19) Shoeburyness.JPG

Thorpe Bay, Southend
20171005 Southend ride (21) Shoeburyness.JPG
20171005 Southend ride (23) Shoeburyness.JPG

Sea views at Southend : Sheerness docks, and Southend pier
20171005 Southend ride (25) Southend - Sheerness view.JPG
20171005 Southend ride (27) Southend.JPG

Friday ride

Undecided whether to go as far as Bushy Park or a bit further to RIchmond Park.
Legs felt a bit stiff so stuck with the shorter

Still avoiding my favourite riverside road at Laleham. the entrance is closed (though there is a way round), as I got a puncture from the debris last time

So more or less followed the river to Hampton Court, via Shepperton, , Lower Sunbury, and Hampton.
Through the park and out at Hampton Hill, and back via Feltham and Ashford

It was a bit blowy but kept the pace up. Nice sun too. Not that warm, but I was not cold.

Overall I did 21.78 miles @ 18.7 mph, little climbing this is largely a flat route
https://www.strava.com/activities/1217482746

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
It's my birthday. So far I've had two breakfasts and an afternoon in the pub. I took the train to Campsea Ashe (British Rail: Wickham Market - we do things differently here in Suffolk) and then rode to the pub at Great Glemham. A couple of pics.

This 'garden furniture' at Marlsford:-
2.JPG

and this selfie at Parham. (My late American uncle flew from here in WW2).

4.JPG

Top Bottom