Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
This is Friday's ride. I think I was in bed by 9pm.

With a well-forecast window in the unsettled weather, this was the day for the century a month challenge once again. The route and profile are here:

Oct6mapa.JPG

Oct6elea.JPG

As usual I'd paid inordinate attention to wind direction when choosing a route, though to be honest it was hardly necessary yesterday. However, I'd completely forgotten about the direction of the sun, and for the first 25 miles or so it was a real problem.

Never mind, by the time I reached the top of the Cotswolds, venturing into a part I hardly know, the sun had risen quite a bit and glory of the landscape was revealed. I'd picked a quiet-looking route through some small villages, my eventual target being the descent at Chipping Sodbury. Anyone wishing to see the full glow of Westonbirt's autumn spetacular will need to wait a week or two, I think. At the moment it's more of a subtle change of tone. Approaching Badminton I made a refuelling stop. I could gaze at this prospect forever:

P1000059a.JPG

The watercourse in the field is the river Avon of Clifton Suspension Bridge fame, near its source. It heads eastwards for a while before turning round and carving its imposing course through Bath and Bristol, marking the southern end of the Cotswolds.

A bit of a rude shock as I rejoined main roads down to Chipping Sodbury. Wanting to head westwards towards the Severn Bridge, I broke new ground once again, heading up through Wickwar and Cromhall, on a B-road threading its way through the many huge stone quarries. It was fairly busy but aggro-free, certainly much better that fighting through Yate. I find the ascent into the Cotswolds via Chipping Sodbury useful, so I think this is a keeper.

Over the bridge into Wales and a different world - Badminton and Westonbirt absolutely reek of wealth. It's a long time since I'd taken the standard route to Tintern past Chepstow Racecourse. Absolutely stunning as always, but a word of warning: on the descent to Tintern there a couple of long traffic-light controlled sections where there is a danger of rock falls, and they look as though they're going to be there for a while. Descending, no real problem, but heading southwards, cyclists are going to struggle to clear them in time. There a signs warning motorists to beware of oncoming cyclists, which is helpful but doesn't remove the problem. There is an alternative route from Tintern to St Arvans which is quiet, not too arduous and has a lot of advantages - so worth considering.

Before the big climb out of the valley I stopped for essential refulling. The sunshine and blue sky had gone, leaving a pleasant subdued light:

P1000061a.JPG

The climb out of the valley from Redbrook starts steeply but soon relaxes. It's good to know that when you start! Just before reaching Newland there is a campsite which has always been too close to my home to consider using; I often think that it's situation, not least for a fixed-centre cyclist, must be one of the best in the world.

At this point there is a little-used byway heading back to the main road coming up from Monmouth at Staunton. I remember from long ago that this has a severe sting in the tail, but I still wasn't quite prepared.

A long breathtaking descent to Parkend, another sharpish climb and then a gentle run down to the A48 at Blakeney. From there, a really useful hill-avoiding loop via Awre to Newnham, where surprisinging I set a Strava PB on the ramp up into the village. I was getting positive feedback from my legs - they seemed happy to do whatever I asked them to do (apart from going fast of course) so I was able enjoy the final miles along familiar roads, hitting my target of 127 miles on the nose :smile:

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Dodged the rain and luckily two cars who tried very hard to knock me off my bike ..
nice strong wind which made me have that going backwards feeling ..
Chill on the settee now

IMG_2194.jpg
IMG_2193.JPG
IMG_2192.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The usual disagreement between weather forecasts had me decide to set the alarm early this morning and have a look out of the window.
It was dry, grey and windy, but had clearly been raining recently and with the threat of more to come it was out on the "winter" Road Comp with mudguards.
With the wind howling in from the west, I decided to tackle it head on and aim for Otley, on the basis that I'd at least have it behind me on the return leg.

So the usual selection of Coal Road, the A58, Whin Moor Lane and into Shadwell and on to Slaid Hill lights, where it was right and then left onto Wigton Lane and down into the small cog at the front to keep things moving along. :rolleyes:
Down to Alwoodley Gates, across Harrogate Road and on to Alwoodley Lane heading up towards King Lane. Nearly got taken out by one of the locals reversing his Aston Martin off the drive but he spotted me and stopped just in time. At least it would have been a better class of off...

As I reached King Lane the spits and spots of rain got their act together and started forming a proper downpour. Oh well, you can only get so wet, so I carried on down the hill and on past Five Lane Ends and up the hill past Golden Acre Park under the tree canopy, looking ahead to see the rain being blown horizontally across the road where the trees stopped.
Onto Kings Road and down the hill with the headwind really slowing me down, and onto Otley Road for the steady climb up through Bramhope.
Eventually arrived at the Dyneley Arm traffic lights (on red, as usual), but from there its downhill all the way into Otley :hyper:although the headwind meant I had to put a bit of effort in to keep above 20 mph :dry: but at least it had stopped raining.
The wind continued to be a pain right the way into Otley town centre, where I was glad of the shelter given by the buildings, then across the river and onto Farnley Lane, stopping briefly at Wharfemeadows Park for a couple of pics:
IMG_20171007_091509971_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171007_091537986_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back in the saddle and right up Farnley Lane to tackle the climb.
Always hard work, with a mile of climbing averaging 4.8% but quite a bit steeper in places, but I was rewarded with a PB today - on the 'winter' bike no less. There is clearly a lot to be said for lower gearing and a tailwind...:laugh:

What goes up must come down and the descent back into Wharefdale was fun, but on wet roads I didn't push to too much, topping out at 36.2 mph today, around 10mph slower than last time on dry roads with the disc brakes on the other bike.
Across the River Washburn at Leathley Bridge and along the valley bottom still wind assisted and making good time, keeping it in the high teens / low twenties with no real effort.
Right at the end and back across the Wharfe, the right again towards Otley and back into the headwind, grateful for every scrap of shelter provided by the hedges.
A quick wiggle through the streets of Otley and onto Gay Lane and then Leeds Road for the long climb back up to the Dyneley Arms. I had the wind at my back now, but it still felt like hard work, but I span it out and kept it going to the top. While I'd got my layering about right for the outward leg, this long climb had me in danger of overheating a bit, so I was glad to reach the short downhill roll to the traffic lights (on red, again), before the gentle descent into and through Bramhope.
But the weather wasn't quite finished with me yet...passing the hotel on the S-bends at the top of the village the wind was funnelled down off the Chevin top and caught me with a real crosswind blast, nearly folding the front wheel from under me and pushing me towards the kerb. That woke me up...:eek:

Down through the village with the wind at my back and the same push back up Kings Road, down the side of the park and the longish climb back up to Alwoodley Lane, the drop down to Alwoodley Gates and the gentle upwardness to Slaid Hill, where I made a last minute decision to turn left down Wike Ridge Lane through the dip (more crosswind) and onto Tarn Lane across to Scarcroft, then down Brandon Lane into Shadwell, the short climb up to the A58, then up Coal Road and onto local roads to home.

35.25 miles (56.72km) in 2h 36m at an average of 13.5mph with 2,106ft climbed

Another ride for the half century challenge and the first ride I've completed to Otley since early August (I've set off that way twice but binned it off due to the weather) so really glad to get them in. That wind was something else at times, but fortunately I only had to put up with any notable rain for a couple of miles.
Quite a lot of cyclists out too, despite the weather, so that's good.
Not so good were the number of close passes today - ironically while wearing my brightest hi-viz cycling top...:dry:
Otley runs always seem to be the same though as they're the only regular rides I do that have me on single carriageway 'A' roads for a large portion of the ride. Would be nice if WYP could put a bit of enforcement of their much publicised 'Close Pass' initiative into action on a weekend...

And to end, the map:
07102017.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
3 tandems, 3 brothers, 3 sister in law. This time the ride was from our house. We were destined for a 10 o'clock start, but then that didn't happen, then it rained!
Eventually we set out down to Toft and Kingston and the Eversdens.
3 tandems up and over to Barrington . It was windy on the other side, no speed records broken today.
Here we are rolling through Barrington
IMG_4833.JPG

A good old headwind before Orwell sorted us out so we'd earned a brew at Wimpole.
Further in through the estate to Arrington
IMG_4836.JPG

Then came Croydon hill. T Junction, then straight into 14%, I was nice by giving them a heads up!

Just approaching Hatley Keith and Joyce's tandem (our Thorn) went pffffft! Rear flat instantly. A hole in the tyre. We put a new tube in and a bit of old tyre under the hole.

We admired the Beef Shorthorn cattle
IMG_4838.JPG

IMG_4843.JPG

Then we sped down to Gamlingay, past the church and on to Waresley GC for a spot of food.

On to Abbotsley, Croxton, Graveley then Hilton where we sheltered under a yew tree from a sharp shower.

Just after Connington Keith had a front flat this time. He reckoned I'd stitched him up with crap tyres. You see, he's bought a new car and his tandem doesn't fit in it, they'd brought road bikes, but Joyce wasn't keen on solo hills, so I'd very kindly loaned them a bike. He was just trying to wreck it! It was a slow puncture.

Up to Knapwell and Caldecote, but we didn't beat the rain! We had to double back to find Pete & Lynn... turns out their chain had mangled itself around everything bar the cogs!

Home, having done 48 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1219432166

IMG_4847.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

IMG_4852.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4844.JPG
    IMG_4844.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 52
Great ride today with the lighter winds, out for four and a half hours. Wakefield, Methley, Castlford through allerton bywater to garforth upto Aberford on towards Tadcaster. Right through Ulkself to Cawood back past Lotherton Hall past Fairburn Ings through Cas and back to Wakfield.

Cracking loop!!

Surprising, there's no comment about the Gascoigne Almhouses, at about 3:30
Well done

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sara P and I joined forces and rode over to Upton where Pete M and Jules H were waiting. The consensus was Fladbury so we decided to go the opposite way around to usual. Both directions are well worn routes really except for the link from Bishampton to Fladbury and on across the Avon at Charlton. We stopped as usual at Fladbury for refreshments. We were in there for quite some time. It was a 2 large Americano stop. Eventually Sara headed off homewards along a dangerous and busy main road. We three took the well worn run to Defford where Jules decided a pint was required. Pete needed to get back so two pints of Butty Bach were dispatched in The Oak (The Monkey House being closed). For a change we went by Dunstall Common with Jules heading north for Kempsey and me continuing west for the River crossing and home. 54 smiles

pjd57

Veteran
A mundane wander along the Canal ,Kelvin and Clyde today.
Bravely battling man flu. Managed 20 miles.

One verbal exchange with a taxi driver who got extremely upset by my little shake of the head when he decided to do a three point turn right in front of me.
Drove up the road after me with the window down screaming " what are you fu****g shaking your head at"

I just done it again.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Sunday club ride time again. The call was May Hill and back, so 39.6 miles and about 1,100 feet of climbing today. Nine of us set off via Highnam, Taynton and Tibberton making good progress in near perfect cycling conditions. Then came a couple of proper hills in quick succession ... first Glasshouse Hill and then May Hill. Back via Aston Ingham and Newent, with a nice stop for coffee and cakes at Trioscape garden centre. Back home via Hartpury and Maisemore and the horrible, busy roundabout at Over, which didn't seem quite as life-threatening as usual today. A great ride, this one. Perfect weather, great company and a lovely route.

The trouble with chasing veloviewer squares is that after a while, the distance to get one new one becomes around 20miles. With that in mind, planned a route using about 10miles of commuting route toward Repton then swung south to get a few squares.

The ride started well as I bumped into the Shepshed CC group and had a bit of a chat until our routes diverged. Pootled along until Repton and starred feeling unwell. Decided there that I'd head home but wanted to go a different way so went through Willington and Swarkeston and back on the home leg of the commuting route.

As I passed through Kegworth, I bumped into the same Shepshed CC group so spent a few miles chatting. Managed to top the ride up to 50miles but not what I wanted originally.

Sunday and Club Ride day

Geoff our leader was back and had decided he needed a slightly easier pace.
This was fine - after all good endurance miles.

Venue was Billingbear Golf Course - a nice venue with reasonable prices and good atmosphere
Ourward route was through Windsor, White Waltham Twyford and Hurst
Return route was skirting Binfield, Chavey Down, Ascot and cutting through the Park and up Breakheart Hill

Weather was still ok , I was still in shorts and with arm warmers on.

45.1 miles done@ 15.5 mph.
More climbing than I thought at 1270 feet

https://www.strava.com/activities/1220741531

Only downside was one person had a puncture and then not long later a slow puncture

Last edited:

jayonabike