Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My 9th club ride of the year today. A quick look around on arrival outside Tesco's revealed there were none of the usual hill strugglers today .... and no newbies .... and everyone else was riding a racing bike today while I was on my usual heavy tourer. Gulp! As the first few riders started off, one of them quizzically asked whether I really was going with the fast group. Ahem! Took the hint and stayed back for the "chilled" ride to start. "Chilled" may not be the word that would first occur to some of you to describe a ride that set off at speeds of 18-23mph on the way to the first big climb of the day.

On club rides there's always one who forever seems to be at the back, wiith everyone else waiting for them at the top of a hill or the side of the road. Cripes! Today it was me. On 2 or 3 occasions I ploughed on past my waiting buddies to give them a rabbit to chase, and to minimise the amount of waiting around. Des and Dean kindly stayed with me up Horsepools Hill and onwards up to the back of Haresfield Beacon. At one point we took a different turn from the leading group and ended up chucking in an extra hill to get back together. Great.

Nice sunny weather in Gloucestershire today, so the route back home through Frocester, Cam and Frampton was a real pleasure .... except for the long drag up Cam Pitch, where, (you've guessed it), I took up the Lanterne Rouge position once again. Stopped for a cuppa at the cafe at Saul Marina on the way back, before sprinting back down the lanes through Epney, Longney and Elmore. A good ride in spite of struggling a bit today. Thanks to everyone who let me wheelsuck my way around without doing much of a stint on the front. Mrs Donger now has me back on decorating and gardening detail. (Ah well, it was good while it lasted). 36.7 miles today.

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I haven't been out since Monday, so yesterday just did the Whitegate Way again (off-road route) which was unbelievably muddy and should be renamed to the Browngate Way really.

Pretty much what I found on canal towpath, it is amazing how much mud can be generated by so little water! Friday the towpath was busy too.

Great ride this morning down to Biggar and Broughton. Left the house at 7.30 and it was a bit overcast and grey but quite mild. As I got out into the countryside I entered the mist and it got a bit chilly, I was glad I had light gloves on. I headed round the back of Carluke then out to Carnwarth. As I headed along the road from Carnwarth the mist lifted and it was blue skies and sunshine from then on. From Biggar I did a loop out to Broughton, I had intended to go to Coulter but took a wrong turn and ended up back in Biggar. By this time the temperature was rising and it was time to remove the knee warmers and reveal the legs for the first time this year. Had my lunch at Taylors Café in Strathaven before heading home. Final distance was 130.7km with 1560m of climbing.

Tinto Hill from just outside Biggar. Hooper swans in the field in front

WP_20150405_001_zpsbapw4tqy.jpg

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The Easter Sunday ride is done and dusted, inbetween selling some of my tropical fish and wondering if this lady is coming for the tank or not.

We had decided to ride down to the city which is about 2.5 miles going the direct route, but there is not fun in that. We went down to Eaton via Bluebell as normal, through Eaton Village and onto the cycle path past the golfists playing golf on a criminal waste of green space where people could have picnics and kids could play if it were a park. Up that hill, that doesn't get any easier the more you ride up it, to the Ipswich Road.

We quickly crossed at the cycle/pedestrian lights and went down hill for 40 yards and waited at the red light, while being berrated for RLJing buy some knobless wonder in a beemer. I asked if he had a clean licence, he said no. So he does break the law then. Lights changed and we rode off up Hall Road and on to Bessimer Road which brings us out at a set of lights where we dogleg to the Lakenham Way cycle path into the city.

It was along this path that it dawned on us that A. the shops are shut on Easter Sunday, and B. There is no point buying more fish food as we have enough to see us through until the tank goes and the rest of the fish do too (we have a quarantine tank so it's OK if the big tank goes first. :banghead: Natural blonde, please speak s-l-o-w-l-y :banghead: We could have gone somewhere interesting.

From there we had a quick spin through a very quiet city with a few bemused looking shoppers and not much in the way of open shops except for Halfords & Evans. We risked going along Castle Meadow, where all the busses hang out. It's normally a little surreal going through there - it is a cycle way, and a bus lane - we always feel like Gulliver in the Land of the Giants. Through the lights, which eventually went green, at the end, 2nd left took us down to Tombland and on to Magdalen Street. There was a big yellow coach up our bums but as we were doing 20 in a 20 zone, we weren't really that fussed. He forced himself past towards Anglia Square and got stuck at the red lights. A chap who had piled past us and gone through a red light at the top of Castle Meadow, caught us up. We might have smirked just a tad - he'd over shot the turning and ended up having to ride back up the one way street to get back to where he wanted to be :ohmy:. Not a cyclist then, just a twit who rides a bike.

From there it was on the cycle path to the City end of the Marriotts Way and along there for 3 miles to home. We went up the hill at Costessey rather than Marlpit Lane as it's less steep and gives us an extra half a mile of riding.

11.2 in just a smidge under the hour. Great fun and we are hoping that it's not going to rain tomorrow, even though the BBC says that it will - all day.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's April and with a potentially busy month coming up I wanted to make sure I got my imperial century in early so it was nice to see the weather settling down in time for the weekend.

I was aiming for Lake Vyrnwy this time as it's a lovely spot and a change of scenery compared to the routes I've done so far this year. Another change is that @gavgav, my brother Doug and Jen my sister were going to bring their bikes out by car and join me for a lap of the lake.

My route consisted of going out via Great Ness, Pentre and Knockin, then to Llynclys and up the Tanat Valley as far as Penybontfawr before climbing over the hills through Hirnant to Llanwddyn.

Disappointingly I set out into a damp, drizzly morning with a cold headwind to contend with. Lights were needed as well as a few layers to keep warm. I'm not quite ready for shorts.:cold:

I was using the Raleigh this time on only it's second proper trip with the new tyres so I was a bit wary of how much grip I'd have on the wet roads. This turned out to be justified when a sudden stop on the way to Knockin led to the back end of the bike trying to overtake the front.:ohmy: At this point I'd done less than 40 miles in total on these tyres so hopefully they'll be a bit better when they've scrubbed in a bit. That aside, the journey out was pretty uneventful, which was very nice as the road up the Tanat Valley is one of the direct routes to Bala, so I wasn't sure how busy it would be on Easter Saturday. I suspect everyone was having a lie in this morning. The weather did improve on the way allowing me to enjoy the changing scenery and by the time I reached the Powys border the sun was breaking through.

My route to the lake was picked for ease of navigation (I did check the map a couple of times to make sure, but really you just follow the signs for Bala, then the ones for Vyrnwy once you get further up the valley) and because I thought it was a bit further than the way I went last time I was up here. In fact it was slightly shorter (40 miles) so I arrived at the dam well before the earliest I'd told Doug I would be there. Rather than wait and have the legs stiffen up I decided to keep moving and do a lap of the lake before the others turned up. This turned out to be a good move as I arrived back at the dam just as they were about ready to start off and after I'd had a quick bite of a sandwich we set off back the way I'd just come for a clockwise tour of the lake.

The place was getting a bit busier by this time and there were loads of other cyclists around, ranging from the wobbly toddler to the weekend warrior and everyone in between. The lake road is just over 11 miles of the flattest riding in mid-Wales so appeals to practically everyone, although I suspect quite a few of them forget the roads aren't closed to motor traffic.

As mentioned, Jen showed a good turn of speed and seemed to enjoy the trip, although she was finding the saddle a bit firm after spending so long in it after a long break.

After the lap we all had lunch and a chat where I mentioned that I fancied doing one more lap before heading home as then I could overtake the furthest @Pat "5mph" has done.:whistle: (Pat and I did our first centuries about the same time. I managed it first but she did more distance). Doug and Jen were content to head off to a cafe so Gav and I set out to do an anti-clockwise loop.

By the time we finished this I was up to 74 miles and still had the trip home to contemplate, so farewells were said and I headed back.

The legs were stiuffening a little by this time so it wasn't the fastest climb over the hill back to the Tanat Valley but once beyond Penybontfawr again the gentle downhill gradient made for nice easy cruising.

By 90 miles I was running a bit low on energy so had a break for flapjack (and broke open the jelly babies too). The roads were busier on the way back and the driving a little less courteous than it had been on the way out. Prize for dimwit of the day though goes not to the driver who overtook me on a blind left-hander forcing the driver coming the other way into an emergency stop :headshake:, but to the driver following him who having witnessed all this unfold proceeded to do exactly the same thing to the next vehicle to come the other way.:wacko:

The last 10 miles were quite plodding and I could really feel the saddle by now - The Nidd on the knockabout bike has shaped to me quite well after using it all winter so going back to the B17 on the Raleigh felt rather on the firm side.

Getting within striking distance of home stubbornness kicked in again and I decided I couldn't be content with just any old mileage so a small loop round the block was added to round it up.:laugh:

The final tally is 115.13 miles making it easily my longest ride to date :hyper: with an average of 12.9 mph.

DSC0002088.jpg

My usual viewpoint near Great Ness, giving an idea of how grey and damp the morning was.

DSC0002092.jpg

Working my way up the Tanat Valley.

DSC0002093.jpg

Further up the valley the scenery gets more rugged looking. Not long before I have to climb over the hills.

DSC0002095.jpg

Arriving at Vyrnwy and the first sight of the dam.

DSC0002099.jpg

Looking up the lake early in the second lap.

DSC0002101.jpg

I don't usually have company on my long rides. Gav, Doug & Jen have enjoyed their trip round the lake.

DSC0002103.jpg

Last look at the lake before I head home.

DSC0002105.jpg

Hirnant - one of the little villages en-route home.

DSC0002108.jpg

Near Kinnerley, these strange, robust looking farm buildings are left over from a vast ammunition dump that dominated this little corner of Shropshire during WW2.

DSC0002109.jpg

Looking at the Breidden again but in quite different weather to this morning.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Glorious weather here in North Devon today.
Shorts and t shirt weather on the bike.
Went out for a 32 mile blast on the Focus Cayo with my buddy from Barnstaple. Hilly route out on the old roads - fast back on the main road and the Tarka Trail.
Loads of PB's without busting a gut, which felt good.
Quick hose down when I got home and then straight up to Hidden Valley for a very nice, and well earned, Sunday lunch. Need to have a quick executive power nap now! :smile:

BrynCP

Über Member
After yesterday's 30 miles causing me no issue, set off for 40 today on a nice quiet route out to Market Weighton, and back through some of the villages to Hull. The problem with this route is knowing that near the end I have to go up Brantingham Dale.

It all went well up to my "rest" point, a nice little area with a little bridge over a stream where I like to just spend a few minutes eating a cereal bar.

IMG_20150405_143752615.jpg

From there on a disaster! I seemed to lose all energy and struggled the remaining 12 miles, walking up the majority of Brantingham Dale and just not enjoying it. All I can think is that it was too much too soon as maybe I am still slightly infected.

Oh well, it's not going to stop me getting out tomorrow, just need to consider the route so I have a get out!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Due to time constraints I was a bit limited on how far I could go today. I arranged to meet up with @400bhp and @FrankW at Ashley. We had an idea of where we were heading but no definite route. A brisk ride along the Cheshire Lanes to Congleton and then across to Sandbach. The rather nice cafe I had stopped at before was shut so we had to make do with a Costa Americano and triple choclate muffin:blush:. Then we headed towards Middlewich and Frank peeled of to meet his family at Beeston. Followed a well worn route back towards home. @400bhp shouted some abuse at a passing cyclist, :whistle:I took an educated guess it was @Origamist who looked like he was in a determined mood as he whizzed past.
53 miles, plus 20mph average, good company. Just what the doctor ordered. Back in time to grab easter lunch at my mums and pick up the kids.:becool: ^_^

BigAl68

Über Member
Just a gentle 20 odd miles out and around Bath on the steel bike today. I spent the morning putting on new bars and a longer stem and it has made the steel a much nicer ride. If it's nice tomorrow again I will try and get a bigger ride done on it and then I will stop for bank holiday beers with friends.

Edit. I forgot to say it was my first ride in just shorts and a ss jersey. Bloody lovely it was

Last edited:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Went out for the first time on our brand new Orbit tandem. Just a quick 20km - but it was brillaint. The tandem was orders of magnitude better, much smoother, more comfortable, quicker (and much more expensive) than our old one. Saddle height might need adjusting and a couple of strange noises, but basically it was an absolute delight.

upload_2015-4-6_20-55-8.png

We will be using it in June on a Hadrian's cycleway trip - can't wait :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom