Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
First ride in nearly a month, lovely.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Charity bike ride today for the RNLI. A group of us cycled from King's Lynn to Old Hunstanton Lifeboat Station, via Sandringham where we collected donations. 20 miles each way.....and as it was a charity ride we wore Wellington boots on the outward leg! Wellies are surprisingly comfortable to cycle in - but my feet tended to slip out of the toe clips as I ride a recumbent trike. On arrival at Old Hunstanton we had lunch while waiting for Robin Rafferty the Lifeboat Operations Manager to meet us. The Old Boathouse Cafe opposite the lifeboat station refused to let us pay for our food so we put the equivalent into our collection.
We were greeted at the lifeboat station by the President of the Lifeboat Guild for Hunstanton, an amazing lady called Margaret Bullen who is 90 (but looks 20 years younger) She has been supporting the RNLI as a volunteer for 40 years. Robin kindly gave us a tour of the two boathouses. Old Hunstanton is one of only 4 lifeboat stations in the UK that operate a hovercraft. The photo shows us in our Wellies in front of the hovercraft.

Attachments

• 20150502_155447.jpg
    20150502_155447.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 49

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Suffering from noisy and painful knees after last weekends exertions (think I pushed myself too hard in the wrong gears...), so just a steady 13.5 miles from me today avoiding a couple of uphill drags to avoid making things any worse.
Out to Scholes, Barwick, Garforth, Thorpe Park and a steady wiggle round some flattish local roads to top the mileage up.
Blooming cold again, with quite a stiff headwind but at least that meant it was behind me towards the end...
Weather looks grim tomorrow so it might be a steady stroll up to where the TdY is passing by... :bravo:...have to see how the knees are.:blush:

BrynCP

Über Member
A 41 mile ride to the seaside today!

First 20 into a headwind, as planned, but it was hard work at times despite a forecast of 13mph. Coming back home was a bit easier and got some top 10s on Strava segments.

New chain, tyre and adjusted front dérailleur yesterday too. Front shifting much improved versus previously as it was taking some effort to shift up and chain rubbing in highest gear. Also no more noise since replacing chain and bottom bracket!

41 miles, 16.5mph average.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
9.3 miles of 13 projected this day, on my new (to me) Schwinn Impact ,a mountain bike from the 1990's, now to be an expedition tourer, hopefully. I bought it in a church sale for 20.00. After meeting Mrs. GA for flower shopping at the hardware store, I rode down to DeGarmo Hall at ISU for sommore brutalistic architecture,

Degarmo%20and%20Schwinn%20Impact_zps5oicyxke.jpg

then rode on toward home, when a flat stopped me near a Casey's(donuts, pizza, gas, in that order) and I knew I could get air there as well. But my valve had parted ways with the tube, and I had no spare at that point, so I called Mrs. GA to come back and get me. When we got home, we saw my neighbor heading out, also to rescue me, as he had seen me walking by the roadside. One flat, two rescue missions. Friends are invaluable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith Oates

Janner
Went out for for a ride this morning with no set plan so I ended up doing 63 Kms in fairly windy weather. Now to cook my lunch after having a shower.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Got up unnecessarily early for my club ride today, so went out on my own for 10 miles before the start. Just missed the heavy rain and was lucky enough to stay dry all morning. The club ride didn't last long, as @Dark46 was still without his No.1 bike, and really had his work cut out keeping up with the faster group at the front. I stayed back with him and Dean dropped back to make up a mini-peloton of 3 of us for a leisurely alternative social ride to the riverbank at Arlingham and back. Stopped off for a cuppa at Saul Marina before Dean went his own way and @Dark46 and I headed back towards home along the towpath of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal.

The canal path was mostly quite passable,, but in places muddy, lumpy, very slippery and rutted. At one point a rowing coach on a bike shot past too close in the opposite direction and forced @Dark46 off the path and into a deep ditch full of stinging nettles. Whilst quite alarming, he did have 2 things going for him: 1. He wasn't in his shorts today and 2. He would have taken quite a plunge if he'd swerved the other way. With an impressive parachutist's roll, he managed to spring back to his feet in less than a second ..... blink and you'd have missed it. We had a few more hairy moments - an encounter with a Great Dane, and a couple of tail end slides near the canal bank, then @Dark46 nearly took the butt end of a a fishing rod in the face. It was a nice change to go off-road, though.

The 2 of us then carried on past a long line of anglers, (all busy trying to prove to the world that they can outwit a chub),and up onto the bikepath next to the Western By-Pass. Nipped through Hempsted and down to the river along Rea Lane for my second time today. Then back home and once more round the block to bring up my 40 miles for the day. A nice ride.

Last edited:

contadino

Veteran
The weather has cleared up a bit. 30-odd degrees when I finished my work outdoors at lunch time, so I hopped on the bike and went for a spin. Much more comfortable on my lower back than my last outing. I keep edging the saddle up a bit thinking that I'm overdoing it, and I've still not got straight legs with the pedal down.

I like this bike more each time I take it out. I must've been grinning because I had an insect stuck in my teeth at one point.

La Contadina is back on Tuesday from her trip to England and the forecast is high 30's so I anticipate some nice long, relaxed rides. this week.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A run out to watch some professional riders spin up a really hard hill that I had just nearly killed myself getting up.....AKA going to watch Tour de Yorkshire at Scapegoat Hill

Scapegoat Hill is a really tough climb and it was bound to be a good spot to watch the TdY. It's about 20miles from Glossop and there's quite a few hills in between. Got to Slaithwaite about 1.15pm, the riders were due about 1.45pm so I climber the hill to the top. It was great, there were a couple of thousand spectators and the were cheering on anyone who was having a go at getting up the hill. I tried to look studied and cool but it has bits of 20% and I think everyone could hear me panting away. I made it to the top in almost exactly 9 minutes

Got myself a good spot and, would you believe it, someone with a CC jersey pulled up next to me. It was @Svendo whom I didn't know but we had a nice chat whilst waiting for the first riders

Here he is resplendent in his jersey

2015-05-03 13.53.40.jpg

Here comes the breakaway

2015-05-03 13.49.35.jpg

A few minutes later the peloton came past. Sky controlling it with Thomas Vockler to the fore. They looked like they were hardly trying - I found later they did my 9minute climb in 5.40 !!
2015-05-03 13.54.21-1.jpg

Great turnout, there must have been at least a couple of thousand on the hill. Here's the view over to the KoM

2015-05-03 13.51.14.jpg

Good ride out, about 45 miles with 4,600ft of climbing.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A run out to watch some professional riders spin up a really hard hill that I had just nearly killed myself getting up.....AKA going to watch Tour de Yorkshire at Scapegoat Hill

Scapegoat Hill is a really tough climb and it was bound to be a good spot to watch the TdY. It's about 20miles from Glossop and there's quite a few hills in between. Got to Slaithwaite about 1.15pm, the riders were due about 1.45pm so I climber the hill to the top. It was great, there were a couple of thousand spectators and the were cheering on anyone who was having a go at getting up the hill. I tried to look studied and cool but it has bits of 20% and I think everyone could hear me panting away. I made it to the top in almost exactly 9 minutes

Got myself a good spot and, would you believe it, someone with a CC jersey pulled up next to me. It was @Svendo whom I didn't know but we had a nice chat whilst waiting for the first riders

Here he is resplendent in his jersey

View attachment 87672

Here comes the breakaway

View attachment 87673

A few minutes later the peloton came past. Sky controlling it with Thomas Vockler to the fore. They looked like they were hardly trying - I found later they did my 9minute climb in 5.40 !!
View attachment 87675

Great turnout, there must have been at least a couple of thousand on the hill. Here's the view over to the KoM

View attachment 87678

Good ride out, about 45 miles with 4,600ft of climbing.
Nice write-up and pictures.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Today was the annual Vintage Commercial Vehicle Rally from London to Brighton.
The weather report was for rain for all morning but clearing later. Weather reports are usually wrong, but it seemed to be spot on for today. I left home at 7.30am and it was dry apart from the damp from overnight rain. I thought my luck was in.. HA..... not likely... about 10 minutes in the rain had started. Not heavy, more of a persistent drizzle. I met @Tim Hall at Tesco's in Purley. The rain was here to stay, and it did. All the way to the halfway stop for the vehicles at Crawley. The rain wasn't too bad and it wasn't cold. A bit of a headwind tried to make things more difficult though. But we persevered and was in Crawley for just after 10am. We decamped to the Portuguese cafe off the high street for cappuccino's and most delicious custard tarts, the waitress being very impressed with Tim's Portuguese.
The bikes were left outside leaning against a shop's closed shutter. The proprietor came along and decided to open the shutter without first asking if someone could move the bikes. With the result of both bikes crashing to the ground. Tosser. Luckily no damage to either bike.

This WW1 vehicle was coal fired and driven and did see action during the Great War. Just check out those metal wheels, made just a little comfortable for the driver and stoker with a rim of rubber. We got stuck behind the beast for a good half hour is it climbed Burgess Hill at a glorious speed of 5mph. Belching more white smoke then Battersea Power Station could ever manage. The smell of it took me right back to a child and the smell of coal fires that everyone used to have.
20150503_093206.jpg

Dads Army...
20150503_102328.jpg

Anyone need a delivery of Oxo?
20150503_102301.jpg

By the time we left the cafe the heavy drizzle had abated and it was a pretty nice run in to Brighton. Overtaking a good few of the Vintage Vehicles in the process. Brighton was looking very damp and grey, the sea looking very angry.
20150503_124413.jpg

But it wasn't raining so as is now tradition. Fish and chips (&mushy peas) on the beach was to be had. I don't think it touched the sides.
20150503_124357.jpg

The weather now was looking brighter, so time to head for home. Taking in the rolling hills of the Devils Dyke, some parts covered in mist. More rolling hills cross country back to Handcross, Tim H tackling @MacB 's hill on a fixed as if it was a pimple. Once back on the main roads quick progress was made, clothing and bodies drying out at last. I left Tim at Redhill and soon knocked out the last few miles to home. Finishing in glorious warm sunshine.

So 108 miles for the day, half of them in the rain. May's Century A Month Challenge ride all done and dusted. Century 12 for the year, 146 over all and the 53rd month in a row of a Century ride.

Thanks Tim H, appreciated you making the effort to accompany me out in the crap weather.

11129532_10152964879575958_5305658569713279607_o.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom