Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Jon

Just wanted to pop a note on here as I think I saw you just before Lotherton Hall yesterday (Sun) - gave you a nod as I cycled past and you were stood refuelling yourself between Lotherton Hall and the M1 roundabout. I was on a silver CX bike with fluro top.

Nice day for it! :hello:

Probably me indeed, thanks for the nod. I was likely concentrating too much on my grub, a habit of long standing. I called around the café at Lotherton for a hot drink but the queue put me off . . .

Still cold this morning, as you all know. I did my usual leave the house and end up pointing to Great Wilson Street and the route to the A 58. Once past the Ring Road, the A58 is usually quiet ( ish ) on a weekday, as it was today. From the top of Scarcroft all the way to Bardsey I counted five cars pass me. Carefully too !

No thought out route in mind, and I rode out along the B 1224 towards York. When I reached the racecourse roundabout I rode right around it because I did not fancy the Walton / Thorpe Arch / Boston Spa ride for some idle reason . . . so round off the 34 miles through Bramham and Thorner and home.
Have a bit of video . . .

Saluki

World class procrastinator
9 and a bit miles today. A utility ride, I suppose. We went off up towards the foot ferry (not working over winter), then went left up Ferry Road or Lane or something and followed it round to Walton and then headed into Felixstowe and stopped at the Chemist for Hubster's meds.
20 minutes of waiting until they said "they'll be another 20 minutes dear" so we said OK, rode down to Lidl for some beans, couscous, pint of milk and cheese, then rode back up the hill for the meds. "they'll be another 10 minutes dear". We'd been gone a good 20 minutes too. He was in the warm, while I was outside with the bikes, freezing my backside off. My feet are still cold, even now.

From there we rode home along Sea Road. Got in, made hot chocolate and put warm slippers on. About 47 minutes or so, I've not done the Garmin talking to my laptop thing yet.

Here you go, the Strava thingy https://www.strava.com/activities/438092663

Last edited:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Football commitments at the weekend meant that today was my first outing in this brief cold snap & clearly I had forgotten how to dress for such an occasion as 30 minutes in I was far too warm wearing my winter jacket, thermal gloves & overshoes but with time being of the essence I decided to carry on regardless, consoling myself with the fact that it was better than being cold!

A fairly regular routine trip around the New Forest on dryish roads with little or no wind so nearly perfect conditions as I took in Minstead, Emery Down & the A35 before heading south down Rhinefield Ornamental Drive to Brockenhurst & across the forest to Beaulieu, Lyndhurst & home for a 31 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/437981502

003.JPG

004.JPG

001.JPG

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
After a lazy couple of weeks, I decided to get stuck in and do a metric century ride today, my November ride for the metric century a month challenge.

@Littgull was free and he decided to join me. It had looked as though the weather might turn nasty on us so we decided to give ourselves a break from relentless hills, and especially from relentless hills potentially covered in ice/slush and being battered by Arctic winds. I'm not a fan of the local valley roads, but we played safe and largely stuck to them today, but I had allowed for the possibility of doing some quieter roads later if the weather permitted ...

So, I rode to Littleborough to meet Brian, and then we rode back through Todmorden on the A6033 and took the A646 to Rose Grove on the fringes of Burnley. My route of choice from there these days is the Padiham Greenway, but I had thought that an ungritted path might not be a good idea today. As it happened, we had only seen one short stretch of roadside ice/slush on the way out so we gave the Greenway a go. Brian had not ridden it before and wanted to take a look at it ... It was fine, and he liked it.

He entertained me along there with a tale of how a naked elderly thug had recently threatened to batter him at his local swimming baths for daring to use a shower before the old guy had finished getting dry - *** gasp - the cheek of it ***! Yes, the man was no longer in the shower by then. No, I don't get it! Neither did Brian, nor a witness who wondered what on earth was up with the irate pensioner ... My theory is that Mister Angry had been the local hard man and was struggling to give up his thuggish ways in old age.

We left Padiham by my preferred lanes route through Read and along the Old Roman Road. No ice anywhere. In fact, though conditions were chilly with a blustery wind, it was nowhere near as bad as we had feared it would be. We could have ridden 'over the tops' without too much difficulty, but it was nice to do an easy ride for a change.

We made a quick pit-stop at the Spring Wood visitor centre where Brian used my phone to take a blurred photo of the inside of his hand. I really don't think that seeing it would add much to your day, so here is a very slightly more entertaining picture that I took instead, of Brian standing in front of our bikes and with lots of leaves lying about. Ok, ok - I did say 'slightly more entertaining' - where exactly did I suggest that you would purr with pleasure, or wet yourself laughing! :okay:

Brian and bikes at Spring Wood.jpg

We descended to Whalley where I spotted a couple of cyclists sitting at outdoor tables, supping hot drinks and munching food. I stored that in my mental database, under 'Places where cyclists can buy food and drinks, and consume them [Whalley/Clitheroe area]' It is the kind of information that could come in handy one day ... :whistle:

We rode on through Mitton and Bashall Eaves to Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington where we bought delicious goodies and sat about eating, drinking and chatting found a big 'CLOSED' sign on the door - oops! I hadn't bothered to check opening hours because the cafe has always been open when I have gone there. Of course, I have only ever been there at weekends ... [It is open Wed - Sun and Bank Holiday Mondays]

We decided to head into Clitheroe to find an alternative cafe there. I'm sure that there must be quite a few but we didn't see one that we fancied on the way through. A quick search of my mental database for 'Places where cyclists can buy food and drinks, and consume them [Whalley/Clitheroe area]' revealed a recent entry ...

And so it came to pass that we found ourselves sitting at an outdoor table in Whalley with brie, cranberry and red onion paninis, buttered scones (with jam), and hot drinks. Ok, Brian - you can eat it now ... :laugh:

Ok Brian you can eat it now.jpg

Suitably refuelled, we headed off up the Col de Accrington Road, once host to a titanic tussle between forum climbing legend dr_pink and would-be forum climbing legend potsy***.

It was necessary to make another stop at the toilet block at Spring Wood. You know what old men's bladders are like. (If you don't, they are like old women's bladders, only more masculine!)

Back up the Old Roman Road, Greenway and A646 to Todmorden, where I said goodbye to Brian as he headed back to Littleborough. I completed my metric century along the A646 to home. (101 km/63 miles.)

Many thanks to Brian for the company.

I only have one metric century to do in December and that will be my metric century challenge done for 2015. I only have 50-odd miles left to hit my mileage target, so that one ride would do the job, but I have several others planned before the Bah Humbug! season kicks off. All being well, I will be a few percent up on my target.

*** Result: dr_pink at top of the climb, potsy somewhere near the bottom, making impromptu and entirely unconvincing 'essential' adjustments to his tyre pressures.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Everywhere was white over with frost this morning so I did a quick change to the wheelset with my new Marathon Winter tyres on for the first icy commute of the season. Mostly it wasn't too bad but there were a couple of stretches down the lanes that made me glad I had done the swap.

After a cold day in the warehouse the return trip made me realise how much more effort these tyres need to get moving so I'll be aiming to use them only when needed.

DSC0002997.jpg

DSC0002999.jpg

Looking very seasonal at Atcham.

Oldbloke

Guru
Another freezing cold clear morning,waited until midday for positive temperatures. Decided to try a few bigger and longer hills towards Ger.

The 16 kms climb got worse as I went on, road got icier and worse condition, decided to re-route 6 kms from the summit. Didn't much enjoy the descent, lots of icy patches under trees, mucky and poorly surfaced roads so a few "clenched buttocks" moments!

Think I'll give that route a miss until Spring!

68kms in 3 hours, painfully slow!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Everywhere was white over with frost this morning so I did a quick change to the wheelset with my new Marathon Winter tyres on for the first icy commute of the season. Mostly it wasn't too bad but there were a couple of stretches down the lanes that made me glad I had done the swap.

After a cold day in the warehouse the return trip made me realise how much more effort these tyres need to get moving so I'll be aiming to use them only when needed.

View attachment 110868
View attachment 110869
Looking very seasonal at Atcham.

its a bit off putting when you see it all white and frosty..but its great when you get going..as long as its not windy..

After a lazy couple of weeks, I decided to get stuck in and do a metric century ride today, my November ride for the metric century a month challenge.

@Littgull was free and he decided to join me. It had looked as though the weather might turn nasty on us so we decided to give ourselves a break from relentless hills, and especially from relentless hills potentially covered in ice/slush and being battered by Arctic winds. I'm not a fan of the local valley roads, but we played safe and largely stuck to them today, but I had allowed for the possibility of doing some quieter roads later if the weather permitted ...

So, I rode to Littleborough to meet Brian, and then we rode back through Todmorden on the A6033 and took the A646 to Rose Grove on the fringes of Burnley. My route of choice from there these days is the Padiham Greenway, but I had thought that an ungritted path might not be a good idea today. As it happened, we had only seen one short stretch of roadside ice/slush on the way out so we gave the Greenway a go. Brian had not ridden it before and wanted to take a look at it ... It was fine, and he liked it.

He entertained me along there with a tale of how a naked elderly thug had recently threatened to batter him at his local swimming baths for daring to use a shower before the old guy had finished getting dry - *** gasp - the cheek of it ***! Yes, the man was no longer in the shower by then. No, I don't get it! Neither did Brian, nor a witness who wondered what on earth was up with the irate pensioner ... My theory is that Mister Angry had been the local hard man and was struggling to give up his thuggish ways in old age.

We left Padiham by my preferred lanes route through Read and along the Old Roman Road. No ice anywhere. In fact, though conditions were chilly with a blustery wind, it was nowhere near as bad as we had feared it would be. We could have ridden 'over the tops' without too much difficulty, but it was nice to do an easy ride for a change.

We made a quick pit-stop at the Spring Wood visitor centre where Brian used my phone to take a blurred photo of the inside of his hand. I really don't think that seeing it would add much to your day, so here is a very slightly more entertaining picture that I took instead, of Brian standing in front of our bikes and with lots of leaves lying about. Ok, ok - I did say 'slightly more entertaining' - where exactly did I suggest that you would purr with pleasure, or wet yourself laughing! :okay:

View attachment 110857

We descended to Whalley where I spotted a couple of cyclists sitting at outdoor tables, supping hot drinks and munching food. I stored that in my mental database, under 'Places where cyclists can buy food and drinks, and consume them [Whalley/Clitheroe area]' It is the kind of information that could come in handy one day ... :whistle:

We rode on through Mitton and Bashall Eaves to Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington where we bought delicious goodies and sat about eating, drinking and chatting found a big 'CLOSED' sign on the door - oops! I hadn't bothered to check opening hours because the cafe has always been open when I have gone there. Of course, I have only ever been there at weekends ... [It is open Wed - Sun and Bank Holiday Mondays]

We decided to head into Clitheroe to find an alternative cafe there. I'm sure that there must be quite a few but we didn't see one that we fancied on the way through. A quick search of my mental database for 'Places where cyclists can buy food and drinks, and consume them [Whalley/Clitheroe area]' revealed a recent entry ...

And so it came to pass that we found ourselves sitting at an outdoor table in Whalley with brie, cranberry and red onion paninis, buttered scones (with jam), and hot drinks. Ok, Brian - you can eat it now ... :laugh:

View attachment 110862

Suitably refuelled, we headed off up the Col de Accrington Road, once host to a titanic tussle between forum climbing legend dr_pink and would-be forum climbing legend potsy***.

It was necessary to make another stop at the toilet block at Spring Wood. You know what old men's bladders are like. (If you don't, they are like old women's bladders, only more masculine!)

Back up the Old Roman Road, Greenway and A646 to Todmorden, where I said goodbye to Brian as he headed back to Littleborough. I completed my metric century along the A646 to home. (101 km/63 miles.)

Many thanks to Brian for the company.

I only have one metric century to do in December and that will be my metric century challenge done for 2015. I only have 50-odd miles left to hit my mileage target, so that one ride would do the job, but I have several others planned before the Bah Humbug! season kicks off. All being well, I will be a few percent up on my target.

*** Result: dr_pink at top of the climb, potsy somewhere near the bottom, making impromptu and entirely unconvincing 'essential' adjustments to his tyre pressures.

Great report Colin of our highly enjoyable ride yesterday. I laughed out loud at your description of my ineptitude as a photographer and of the actual photographs taken. What I never told you is that whenever I attempt to take a photo of family etc there follows howls of 'No, let someone else take it. He's never got one to come out right yet!'

Those paninis and then the scones sure were tasty and welcome to fuel our return leg. I clocked 60.7 miles when I reached my house and what luck, I'd only been indoors half an hour and the rain came down heavily and stayed that way for the rest of the night.

See you in December.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/438867468

My new favourite route to the Hospital. I had a bit of an early detour, along Sea Road to the leisure centre and then back to the roundabout. It was enough of a detour to tip me over the 15 mile mark.
Going along the A1214, the last 1/3 of the ride, I went on the road, rather than the cyclepath, hence the PR along there. I also took the roadie as it was 7 degrees so little chance of sliding down the road on him. Great route.

1:05:38 for 15.02 miles. Home to Sausage Shop was 15:50 so it wasn't setting any records for me there. I might have to turn it into a segment :laugh:

Good tempo commute in today so feeling a bit weary at the moment,good job it's quiet at work at the moment:laugh:.

One too many layers really and didn't really need the Rapha winter cap either but it's better than being cold.

Dunno if it's the new rear light set-up but seem to be getting given more room when being overtaken,only one coach got a bit close this morning;even the white van men were giving me a wide berth.

Just got to get a better front light when funds allow,might have to save up for an Exposure Strada,the TraceR I have just got is brilliant(excuse the pun).

https://www.strava.com/activities/438974568/overview

Old jon

Guru
No ride yesterday. Warmer socks bought, what a waste, feet and socks will not fit in shoes. Fool I am. Paramo hat bought ( in Harrogate, our nearest stockist ) and that does work. The windproof bit anyway. I guess it will not rain anywhere near me for a week or two now, so I forget to tell all about how waterproof it is. Confident of this one though.

Today's ride was unexceptional, still cold, a little breeze and dry. 31.2 miles out through Viaduct Road in Armley, Lawnswood, Bramhope and Otley to Weston, where I did the sandwich eating. The Cockpit Farm tearooms do not open till Thursday, so I just retraced my route home. I think I will have to plan a more circular route, in advance, or in the shower, just to add variety. Lets call it my November resolution.

MikeW-71

Veteran
This week I bought a new bike. A cheap Pinnacle hybrid to use as a pootling bike, and today it arrived and got a shakedown.

He's rather bright :becool:
22670027384_d4fbabd6c7_c.jpg

So, off we went to Dalston again by the riverside path, which has now been cleaned up (well, mostly) and grabbed a pic of the Caldew Cockerel millennium sculpture.
22674102594_5e18f77dec_c.jpg

As is customary, the new guy had to be introduced to the "Cafe Stop", do a detour uphill to a coffee shop attached to Cranstons butchers was called for. A large one and a nice fruit scone went down a treat.
22934564029_6c9b6e2a88_c.jpg

But the light would be fading soon, so it was back to Carlisle, but hey, why not make another detour to get a photo of the Castle? :smile:
23219867441_92e6b02ec9_c.jpg

Through the town centre, and back along the Botcherby cycle way to home. A nice 18 miles shakedown. It needs a little fettling. Gears need tweaking, bar position and controls need changed, I'll probably change the grips for ergo ones and the pedals will be changed too. The rack needs to go on, and we are good to go! Very nice bike, would make a cracking commuter. :biggrin:

:bicycle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/439136841

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With family stuff to do first thing, and a sore throat to suffer ... I eventually grabbed the opportunity to pop out for a post-fettle ride on my old British Eagle...

Not many miles, but a relatively warmish day with little wind to get in the way.

IMG_20151125_152350.jpg

A bit of 'Off Piste' behind Riverside just for the chance to grab a pic of my Touristique..

IMG_20151125_152259.jpg

And leaning on the wall of a house mentioned in the Domesday Book in Great Billing..

Nice to pedal the old bike around for a while and give it some fresh air...

A leisurely & pleasant 10 miles...

https://www.strava.com/activities/439139943

:smile:

Top Bottom