Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
They phoned just before 5 to say it's ready, but the lad who called wasn't sure what they'd done. Mind you with a charge of £6 to pay when I collect it tomorrow it can't be so much! :laugh:
Was going to suggest tinkering with limit screws on the derailleurs . but lbs probably did that . the screws control how far the derailleurs move one inward ,one outward . hopefully they fixed it .sounds like a nice ride despite the chain

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Was going to suggest tinkering with limit screws on the derailleurs . but lbs probably did that . the screws control how far the derailleurs move one inward ,one outward . hopefully they fixed it .sounds like a nice ride despite the chain
Thanks - I'd tried that after watching a couple of YouTube videos after my previous ride and everything looked to be lined up and working OK and I couldn't replicate the chain coming off while the bike was on the work stand - but it kept coming off out on the road (under load?). It's a variation on route I enjoy, on mainly quiet roads despite being right on the edges of the city. Thanks again.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I rode the trainer indoors as a prelude to todays Black Friday escapades. A good workout, nothing to take pictures of, unless someone wants to see pictures of old exercise equipment, a concrete floor, and some workshop area. I did get a helmet cam today, but the LBS was closed until tomorrow. I went to the hiking store instead, they had no pot stands for stoves, so back to the big box building supply where I got the helmet cam for actual supplies for making something. Snow, rain, sleet, and falling temperatures will make a ride today unlikely as well, but cold but glorious weather is on tap for tomorrow.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Thanks - I'd tried that after watching a couple of YouTube videos after my previous ride and everything looked to be lined up and working OK and I couldn't replicate the chain coming off while the bike was on the work stand - but it kept coming off out on the road (under load?). It's a variation on route I enjoy, on mainly quiet roads despite being right on the edges of the city. Thanks again.

My bike has rear 'suspension' and there is definitely a difference between being on the stand and on the road. I'd not think there was a difference with a solid frame tho'. Perhaps the best idea would be to screw in the appropriate screw until you couldn't change to the large ring then back off to the point where it will just change, then try it on the road.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Muhaha! :okay:

Thanks for the company @Nomadski - without you I might not have bothered riding today with that forecast of wind and rain, In fact, we didn't get the rain until the end of the ride so it didn't spoil it. It was nice to meet you and I hope you come along on other rides in the years to come now you are in NW England.

I am impressed by how well your phone takes pictures in variable light conditions. The pictures I took weren't up to much because I was getting buffeted by the wind while taking them and they were all blurred. You seem to have got the locations right which must be a combination of a GPS tracklog and geotagging the pictures, because I am sure you would not be able to remember every twist and turn of our route!

The reason we were getting chilled outside the cafe was because neither of us had a lock with us and we did not want to leave our bikes unguarded. They would probably have been safe, but how convenient would it have been for a bike thief to jump on a bike and just freewheel down a mile of road at 10% - no way for us to catch him/her other than to hop on the other bike and set off in pursuit!

The Slack Bottom comment was a joke! The unobservant among you may not have noticed the sign behind me ... :whistle:

Damon - I suggested that your iffy brakes might be due to greasy wheel rims ... I hosed my bike down when I got home and my rims were filthy! Baby wipes might be a good thing to clean the rims with. In fact, I'll go and try that on my bike now and will report back shortly ...

YIKES! :eek: This picture is how many baby wipes it took to get the rims clean even after hosing the wheels down ...

View attachment 111195

Yes - I think that cleaning your wheel rims WOULD improve your braking!

I'll certainly be looking at giving the bike a good clean after today's shift. That's an incredible amount of muck right there!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just back from an early 27 miles on the Raleigh type 8806 single speed bike furthest ride to date for said bike . Frosty on the verges but road surface was fine .

WP_20151128_005.jpg

Down through town centre and Little irchester up to irchester along to Hinwick .

WP_20151128_001.jpg

Where hinwick hall was looking majestic in the dark. Along to Bozeat and then up to Easton maudit .

View attachment 111237

Then along to Yardley Hastings and across the drive to castle Ashby house and on to the a428 till Denton and along to Wishton .

WP_20151128_004.jpg

Then head home via earls Barton and Mears Ashby. Enjoy your riding

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out early today to fit in with other plans and weather.
Iwas on my best bike today, first time in almost a month. It felt light, low, lithe and lovely... Unlike the rider who had the remnants of a cold.
It was horrid at first, at one point I looked at my garmin- 5.3 miles! I felt like shite.
Snot rockets everywhere. The ride in my head was going to be lots longer than the ride that actually happened.
Just before The Gransdens I was caught by a man and woman, we had a chat and I rode the 4 miles to Gamlingay with them. It was just what I needed, it shook me from my lethargy.
Turning at Gamlingay gave me the wind on my back for most of the way home which felt lovely, the sun almost making me feel warm.
image.jpeg

This is the only pic I took and it does look quite warm, but it wasn't.
25 enjoyable miles and the best bike stayed clean!

https://www.strava.com/activities/440647004

Old jon

Guru
No ride yesterday. At various times I cleaned the bike, played with dough, spent some brass ( nowt to do with black Friday ), oiled and greased bits of bike and did other bits of domestic stuff. Has to happen now and then.
A fine, cold morning. Fooled I was, but never mind. The intention was to ride as far as Denton Bridge, which would have been about forty miles for the round trip. I did 26.1 instead. Towpath to Viaduct Road, Cardigan Road, Otley Road and then at Lawnswood turn left onto the old road. This has more hills. I may be daft. It also passes the Cookridge water tower which is about as high as Leeds ever gets.

After the last climb there is the drop down the old Chevin into Otley, but the view from the top had already shown me the rain rushing down the Wharfe valley towards me. So a quick munch of a meat pie by the maypole, back on the bike and head for Leeds Road. The rain caught me at Bramhope, I got the waterproof jacket on OK, but the hat defeated my freezing fingers. Moral, put the hat on first. I may learn.

I took advantage of a break in the weather, and I nipped out to get a couple of these bad boys.

image.jpeg

Although mine are 25's.

https://www.strava.com/activities/440786734

:okay:.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
The chilly south-westerly wind once again determined todays route as there was no way I was starting out across the open forest into it so I plotted a route along the lines of my previous 100k which at least gave some hedgerow shelter from the worst of it.

It was also a debut ride for my newly acquired North-wave boots as I set off with slightly sunny skys overhead but wet roads below after more overnight rain. The tailwind made easy work of the first 20 or so miles, through the Test Valley hamlets of Awbridge, Lockerley & Mottisfont to Broughton where a direction change to the east meant the end of the wind assistance & the realisation that I'd actually planned in a little hill just before Kings Somborne which thankfully was only a 1.5 mile 4% cat 4.

The downhill was into the breeze, making it quite bearable, & from there it was down through Braishfield, back to Awbridge & then west through Sherfield English & Whiteparish before crossing back into the New Forest.

A brief shower made the wet leafy forest roads a little treacherous for a while as I headed through Woodgreen to Godshill where I cleverly picked up the road home across the open forest to Furzley with the wind at my back!

63 miles in all & metric ton number 33 for the year & for some reason it was one of the most satisfying but that may have been because I got home with warm dry feet!

https://www.strava.com/activities/440787258/overview

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

007.JPG

Toastie feet!! :smile:

Diggs

Veteran
After the winds of last week it was good to get out on the social ride again. I could even feel the sun at one point! Did a 30 mile route that I was fairly familar with so it was nice to see a few good segment times, the winter bike wasn't letting me down.

Pics are screen grabs from the cam so excuse the quality.

Had Elbow's "One Day Like This" as an earworm most of the way round and we were certainly drinking in the morning sun...

Swan lane.jpg

to the viper.jpg

The rather more serious boys of the Athlon Sports ride came gliding past at one point at the back of the reservoir (well we were on a social ride)
athlon.jpg

Chilly club ride today but a Garmin malfunction meant I missed the start so had to play catch up;only trouble was the strong head wind meant slow progress so decided to keep as steady as possible pace and catch up at the River tea rooms in St Ives.

Got on the busway at Westwick with the intention of keeping on it until St Ives as I should catch the moderate group up as they do a de-tour via Fenstanton;got part of the way and saw the easy group on the next section in the distance so thought I should catch them and finish the busway leg with them.

However as I came to the junction for the road there was the mods with Dave repairing a puncture so I was able to di the rest of the first leg with them.

Suitably re-freshed at St Ives we headed off only for Dave to have another flat;no probe suitably fixed we set off again only for,,,,

,,yep another puncture for Dave:rolleyes:.So a borrowed tube and use of my pump as he had run out of canisters for his co2 thingy and we were off again.

Get to Earith with the weather starting to deteriorate yep another puncture9slow one this time) for Dave,you couldn't make this up.So he decides to pump it up and took a short cut home.

So the remaining four headed back and once to Haddenham I turned off to do a loop via Littleport to complete this months Strava Fondo.

Managed to drag myself round and got back to Ely just as it was about to properly start raining;stopped at a shop for a recovery mars bar to find I had a puncture too:banghead:,luckily was not far from home so wobbled back safely.

So an eventful ride but enjoyable despite that with good company;first run out with the new club gillet made by Champion sports with was excellent as was the Sportful no rain jersey,shorts and leg warmers.

https://www.strava.com/activities/440869928

No cycling to report due to other commitments and the weather but if anyone knows Wetheral near Carlisle they may appreciate how chuffed I felt yesterday to get myself, SWMBO and two middle age over fed and under exercised dogs up the 99 steps from the Eden to Wetheral Station. I can honestly say none of us were out of puff. Knackered but still breathing without gasping for air.

Top Bottom