Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Nope - isn't happening today.

Hissing down and bonkers winds and I am staying in. Football to watch at noon when my misery may well be compounded as we are away to Spuds which will be tricky to say the least.

Have managed less than 60 miles this month and have put on two pounds in weight.

Weather has been dreadful since the last Thursday in October and I have conceded defeat this month in the long running battle with Mother Nature.

Bring on a nice, dry December...

...please!

13 rider

Guru
I must be mad or addictied or both I just been for a bike ride .Got up this morning looked at the weather and thought oh dear had arranged with mates for an afternoon ride . text from first mate bailing out at 10 .Hung around looking out at the weather. Second mate bailed at 12 .Had some dinner dithered some more then got over ruled on tennis or f1 on the telly . Sod the tennis so out with the bike . Set off with no plan hoping to get an hour in before the wind got to bad . Cropston to Rothley and I was flying lovely tailwind then I had a plan for a strava segment that a certain ccer is quicker than me . So millionaire row full attack and smashed @Supersuperleeds time by a full second yes a full second thanks tailwind :whistle: I think he said if I beat his time he'd go for it on his road bike .there you go mate .The loop then turned into the headwind Swithland round the back of Bradgate park pass the golf course There was some nutters playing golf fancy being out in this weather ! Up to the crossroads left to the top of Sharply hill doing 18 mph on the steady descent round the corner on to the steep bit and it was like hitting a wall as I hit the headwind full on down to 14 mph downhill ! Through Newtown Linford and one last Strava segment tailwind as well so braggie hill sprint was attacked new pr of 30 seconds less than a year ago my first ride on strava this segment was 58 sec I think I'm improving. Home with 14 miles done in under an hour and missed the worst of the rain . still think I'm mad for going out

Last edited:

hedder2212

Headed into town to do the weekly shop. Both gear cables snapped on the way into town. No idea why but my guess is because they were really cheap cables. Whizzed over to LBS and picked up a complete set before they shut. Rode home and got them fitted, then a ride back into town and down to Walsall Arboretum with a few laps around Hatherton Lake to "test". All is well.
Im now soaked and cold. but a total of 14 miles in total today which is more than ive done all week.

https://www.strava.com/activities/441440419

30 odd miles in the wind.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's the 10th year of the Winchester Christmas market, so I got myself some Sloe and cranberry jam, from a little independent stall:okay:.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
No ride today (have you seen the weather? :rain:), so I'll post about yesterdays ride if that's OK..? ;)

With the road bike being at the shop, it was an early ride out on the hybrid.
Decided against wearing my Altura winter gloves and regretted it within 5 minutes of setting off - it was blooming cold at 8am yesterday morning and the Aldi gloves I had on were doing little to alter that.
Local roads and then out through Cross Gates and down Manston Lane, before taking the bridleway out on Nanny Goat lane and out towards Garforth. As I came around the corner for the short run parallel to the M1 before the underpass there were two deer grazing - I don't know who was more surprised, them or me! One deer scooted through a hole in the fence and off, the other one tried to follow, missed the gap, bounced off the fence and then ran in the opposite direction.
Under the M1 and past the stables where the bridleway was more of a mudbath, but I managed to get through without falling off.
That said, I've made a mistake putting a Schwalbe Marathon tyre on the back wheel of the hybrid. It might have good puncture protection but it's slow on the road and has very little grip off road. I think I'll have to change it again, possibly putting a pair of Land Cruisers on...
Down to Barwick Road, a quick right under the railway bridge and up the hill before turning onto Barrowby Lane and heading for the bridleway / NCN R66.
Into the woods and up the hill and I thought I'd stop to take a couple of pics:
IMG_20151128_083114129_HDR2.jpg
IMG_20151128_0831268012.jpg
IMG_20151128_0831454592.jpg

Back on the bike and up the climb over the M1, then the dash down to Thorpe Park, where the office building work continues with the bridleway closed / diverted again.
Up onto the other end of Barrowby Lane (there is a bit missing in the middle where they put the M1), down Austhorpe Lane where a very considerate dog walker saw me approaching and still decided to cross the road in front of me (looked straight at me, paused, then set off anyway) forcing me to slow down to avoid him colliding with me. :headshake:
Back down the first part of Manston Lane, then a loop through Pendas Fields and onto Barwick Road, a circuit around Pendas Way to add a bit more mileage on, then up to home with a final loop to push the ride over 12 miles.

So, 12.32 miles in 57m at an average of 12.8mph, with only 380ft climbed (it felt like more).
All good though and more importantly it puts me fractionally over 204 miles for November - which tomorrows forecast suggests will be it for this month...:whistle:

28112015.jpg

The only downer is that the wireless cycle computer now refuses to work at all if the front light is on (it would previously work with the light on the low setting).
I'll have to think about how to get around that one before the next after dark ride - the shape of the handlebars means that the light can't be mounted any further away and I've already tried rerouting the cable connecting the light to the battery pack...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Headed into town to do the weekly shop. Both gear cables snapped on the way into town. No idea why but my guess is because they were really cheap cables.
It might be because you went out on a ride after the roads had been gritted and left the bike covered in salt? That stuff is terrible for 'rotting' exposed metal if not cleaned off post-ride.

hedder2212

Lucky thing - we've had a few really cold nights recently which meant that our roads were gritted.
Walsall Council are too cheap and stupid to grit the roads yet. Theyll do what theyve done for the last few years. Wait until the snow is coming down thick and fast and their trucks cant get up the slightest incline, grit half of the boroughs roads and then declare a "roads crisis".

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Walsall Council are too cheap and stupid to grit the roads yet. Theyll do what theyve done for the last few years. Wait until the snow is coming down thick and fast and their trucks cant get up the slightest incline, grit half of the boroughs roads and then declare a "roads crisis".
We had a gritting fiasco a few winters back when the local council basically ran out of grit! It might be that they are better organised now, or just that we haven't had a winter severe enough to catch them out again.

One of our CC friends came down to stay for the weekend, she asked if she should bring her bike, but of course we said. Yesterday was a bit of sightseeing, last night involved imbibing a little too much fire water and this morning I had the clever idea of riding our fixed into a fairly hostile wind, a bit bonkers but great fun. I am just happy no one was videoing me climbing a 15% hill into a 40mph wind, I was making progress but my speedo did not agree. Oh well, we got to the increasingly renowned http://www.cafe-ventoux.cc which has had over 170 cyclists there at one time, today for reasons that escape me, we were the sole cycling customers. The owners know us quite well so we spent a little too long chatting given the wind if anything was increasing in strength.
On the way back it looked as though virtually every farmer had the same bright idea to trim the hawthorn hedgerows, at one point we actually had to turn around due to a carpet of thorns and find another route. Unfortunately within the next few miles 2 of us got punctures, the first for us for a couple of years, at least we stayed dry and the wind was behind us. Mind you on the occasions it was from the side dr_pink was doing some interesting manoeuvres I haven't seen her attempt before whenever she passed an open gateway. Only 26 miles, without our friend who was struggling a little it might have been a bit more, as it turned out it was probably the right decision because 20 mins after getting back the rain arrived in horizontal sheets.
Lumpy country but lovely roads
D2853234-3F15-4CFF-A63D-68ABDC3C9E05_zps9vd70p2j.jpg

2A2F5753-5511-4C4E-833F-B70900F83EF7_zpshzz6gqpu.jpg

Are we mad? Almost certainly, but the cake tasted all the better for it.

Top Bottom