Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Nope - isn't happening today.

Hissing down and bonkers winds and I am staying in. Football to watch at noon when my misery may well be compounded as we are away to Spuds which will be tricky to say the least.

Have managed less than 60 miles this month and have put on two pounds in weight.

Weather has been dreadful since the last Thursday in October and I have conceded defeat this month in the long running battle with Mother Nature.

Bring on a nice, dry December...

...please!
Here here! One lousy ride in November meaning my worst monthly mileage in 3 yrs of taking cycling up again, at 33 miles.

Rotten weather, with constant wind and rain, and I'm afraid December looks the same from the Met Office forecast.

Feeling quite down at the moment, and whilst there are a couple of other things contributing to my mood, I'm sure the lack of cycling is a major reason as well

Went out for a windy club ride with the h & d w.
We were heading for Bockett's farm in Leatherhead, so both jouneys were partly with and against the wind, quite gusty in places.

Reduced numbers, but tucking in as much as possible kept the effort down.

Rain held off apart from a few spots.

Latter part of the return journey, we slowed a little to assist a new rider who was finding wind a bit much.

Still refuelled by a cheese toastie, found it not too hard.

All in all 50.3 miles @ 13.8 mph , but speed was not the thing today.
2438 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/441430874

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I may have mentioned before that I weigh over 20st, so forgive me for mentioning it again.... for a reason. Today when crossing a motorway bridge over the M5, even I actually got blown into the opposite carriageway for a moment by a vicious gust of sidewind! Blustery, difficult conditions out there today, but still somehow ended up enjoying it.

There were fewer of us out there this morning as common sense seemed to be prevailing, but 5 of us set out on the "chilled" club ride. It was meant to be another approximately 40 miler, taking in Nut Hill, the climb through Buckholt Woods near Birdlip, a lovely long descent through Slad to Stroud and then another mother of a climb through Selsley and down Frocester Hill. I was having to keep Mrs Donger sweet today though, as I had promised to take her out for Sunday lunch. That meant turning for home when I got to Stroud. It didn't feel right ducking out on a hill, so instead of taking the flat route home, I went back via Pitchcombe and up and over another big hill (Horsepools Hill) at Edge instead. @Frazzle and the 2 others who were still with me decided to all head back together, which was nice.

30.4 buffeted, blustery, wind-battered miles in all. Wouldn't have gone out if it hadn't been a club ride ... but very glad I did.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

toffee

Guru
Back out on the local roads again, haven't gone far for a while now due to lack of time.
_20151129_201442.JPG

A quick 18.5 miles this week just getting in before the heavens opened.

Derek

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Here here! One lousy ride in November meaning my worst monthly mileage in 3 yrs of taking cycling up again, at 33 miles.

Rotten weather, with constant wind and rain, and I'm afraid December looks the same from the Met Office forecast.

Feeling quite down at the moment, and whilst there are a couple of other things contributing to my mood, I'm sure the lack of cycling is a major reason as well
Well done for getting out today.

Postmanhat

Am sort of beginning to like cycling in the wind. Must be the same, probably odd psychology that means I enjoy hills? Both are a very good workout at least. Only my fourth ride in November due to injury/work, and my fitness is ebbing, being replaced by a tide of fat. 28 miles/1600 ft are the start of the fightback. Wind was so strong at times, I swear I was slowing down on a 10% descent. Some of the country lanes were impassable due to farmer's debris. But I was glad of them sheltering in a couple of cow sheds to refuel - too dodgy to try it on the bike. Hopefully work commitments will ease off after Tuesday so am just praying the temperatures don't drop too much in the next month. Just need to get some Close Encounter lights now to help overcome my dislike of nightriding

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.1 miles my ride this day, outdoors as well. Not much in terms of pictures, I did test the helmet cam today, and thought it was good for helmet cam footage. Took the Technium out for its last probable outing for the year, but you never know. Bucked a headwind off my port fore-quarter all the way home. 2 PBs leaving my subdivision and climbing to the main trail. Quite cold and cloudy.
39F
3C
Winds NE14
74% relative humidity
30.25 barometer slow fall
Cloudy.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
All I had to do today was get the SS out of the shed today and pop down to the local shopping centre to get a few bits, including some bitumen to waterproof the bike shed.
Checking the weather via the kitchen window, it was a kind of yep.. nope.. soon... Right, I'm off sort of day.

I was so glad I chose to ride there, through the winds, as the place was heaving, with queues at both ends trying to get the cars parked! There was even a chap with a lollipop thingy saying 'Parking Space Available' so that drivers could argue over it :laugh:

Once I'd got half of the stuff I needed, I had the joy of wending my way through gridlocked traffic at the car park entrance, waving a cheery 'Thank You' at the increasingly irate drivers :dance:
As I still needed the important stuff, ie Bitumen to waterproof the bike shed, I headed down to the nearest retail park to watch even more cars scrabbling for parking spaces as I padlocked my bike to the post directly outside the shop entrance.
Once I'd finished my shopping, I headed home by a slightly longer than necessary route as I would have a tailwind for most of the way..

DSC_2859.JPG

By Billing Mill

DSC_2860.JPG

But had to take another diversion as Cut Throat Lane was going to be a bit much for my SS today..

Back home, after getting blown around a bit, but not precipitated upon, on 10.5 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/441377479

:smile:

Buck

Guru
I didn't go out yesterday as the weather was vile and the wind gusts were dangerous.

Instead I set up my new turbo trainer and managed a quick spin on it to check all was good. Certainly feels a good piece of kit and the auto adjustment from the software was uncanny.

Shame my laptop isn't good enough to run Zwift - more ££££ to spend !

Old jon

Guru
I never even moved the bike yesterday, the winds were scary.

No wind this morning here in soggy Leeds, but the rain it was raining a bit. Made the decision to go for a ride, so on with the waterproof allsorts and point the bike in the direction of away. I initially thought to go south east, but my subconscious took over and I was soon Wetherby bound. Conscious thought had already reminded me of what wind does to trees, quite a few memories of rounding a bend con brio to be confronted by bits of tree artfully arranged by the wind over the width of the road . . . Stick to main roads for a while.

So, the A 58 towards Wetherby it was. Until the fingers warmed up, side roads were considered as a means of an early return. Having got over that, Kirk Deighton became the obvious place for a turn around. It has a stone built bus shelter big enough for me and my bike. The roof does not leak and the wind does not blow. It is also clean, so a quick snack and a return by a similar route. 31.5 miles in all, the bit in the video is on the way out, complete with half of someone's forest in the gutter a few seconds in.

hedder2212

Right. Today.
4 mile walk into town, then a train into Birmingham new street, got completely lost in Birmingham trying to find Moor St station then eventually had a lovely pcso lady show me the way :laugh: I thanked her with a coffee from costa :laugh: Got a train up to Stratford - Upon - Avon where i was to meet @robgul . Got there ten to fifteen minutes earlier than planned as despite still getting lost in Birmingham i somehow managed to get a earlier train :laugh: A quick look over the bike, Cash exchanged hands and i JUST managed to get back on the train into Birmingham Moor St. Must thank Rob, bike rides beautifully, gave me a very good price on a very good bike, included a bag of bits and even met me at the train station.
Got the train back into Moor St and then got completely lost again trying to find New St Station :laugh: A nice guy on a brompton asked me if i was ok as i must of looked lost and turned out he was going to New St too, had a little ride :bicycle:..... Turned out i had somehow gone to the other side of city center :laugh:
Got to New St and eventually found my platform.
12274639_1525333947781765_5845891337685981906_n.jpg

A fifteen minute wait for the train......
12294724_1525333911115102_1807901461695281446_n.jpg

and then a ride up one of Walsalls steepest streets, With absolute ease. Popped into ASDA for a bottle of pop and some steak slices.
12299249_1525333881115105_4311851592407374657_n.jpg

Me being the complete plonker that i am, I only bought one lock with me so had to risk my wheels and saddle getting nicked while i went into the shop.
A four mile ride back home in the rain where i was greeted by one very annoyed GF :laugh:
So not very many miles ridden today but one hell of a adventure for me, Now to avoid Birmingham all together for another five years :laugh:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I must be mad or addictied or both I just been for a bike ride .Got up this morning looked at the weather and thought oh dear had arranged with mates for an afternoon ride . text from first mate bailing out at 10 .Hung around looking out at the weather. Second mate bailed at 12 .Had some dinner dithered some more then got over ruled on tennis or f1 on the telly . Sod the tennis so out with the bike . Set off with no plan hoping to get an hour in before the wind got to bad . Cropston to Rothley and I was flying lovely tailwind then I had a plan for a strava segment that a certain ccer is quicker than me . So millionaire row full attack and smashed @Supersuperleeds time by a full second yes a full second thanks tailwind :whistle: I think he said if I beat his time he'd go for it on his road bike .there you go mate .The loop then turned into the headwind Swithland round the back of Bradgate park pass the golf course There was some nutters playing golf fancy being out in this weather ! Up to the crossroads left to the top of Sharply hill doing 18 mph on the steady descent round the corner on to the steep bit and it was like hitting a wall as I hit the headwind full on down to 14 mph downhill ! Through Newtown Linford and one last Strava segment tailwind as well so braggie hill sprint was attacked new pr of 30 seconds less than a year ago my first ride on strava this segment was 58 sec I think I'm improving. Home with 14 miles done in under an hour and missed the worst of the rain . still think I'm mad for going out

That wind and you only beat me by a second :tongue:

Top Bottom