Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
I started turning Saturdays into hilly days and today was no exception but instead of the normal hour on a Saturday I took it past 2 hours as I won't be riding tomorrow so decided to do extra miles today .
So off in sunshine if a bit chilly through Newtown Linford and out to first climb of Polly Botts lane right at the top and fast descent of Priory lane and then the climb at the other end into Woodhouse eaves and went left up church hill and round the back to old Woodhouse then did half of Beacon hill but went left up break back road then onto the climb of Deans lane A steady gradient mirroring beacon hill .Back to Beacon Crossroads and right and right onto Charley Rd past Oaks in Charnwood to the crossroads went left up a new climb up past the Abbey to The Whitwick Rd a bit of a drag to say the least .Left back to Copt Oak and onto Whitcroft lane and back to my Markfield Thornton loop .Climb into Thornton and a drop to the reservoir and the climb out back to Newtown Linford via Markfield . legs still felt good so turned away from home and up Sharply hill and a loop back to Warren hill and back down Sharply hill and Home 35miles done with 2779 feet of climbing at 15.5 mph more than happy with that .

Cycle on Parliament. Biggest pelton I'll ever be in.

IMG_20160423_114819_zps8zsspjs3.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
First ride since last Sunday - work keeps getting in the way of having an actual life...

Anyhow, bright and sunny but with a frost on the ground and the cars this morning when I pulled back the curtains, so wrapped up warm and out on the road bike just after 8 am.
In a rudimentary sort of way, I'd noticed that the wind was going to be from the north-west, so headed out to Otley on the basis that at least it would be behind me on the way back. Plus it would give me a chance to ride some of the roads being used by the TdY next weekend...

Out on Coal Road and across the A58 and down to Shadwell, turning left for the long climb up Main Street, which is in serious need of resurfacing. Reached the top and enjoyed the brief downhill before the climb up to Slaid Hill lights, where it was a quick right at the shops and left at the pub onto Wigton Lane and the run straight into the wind down to the A61. By 'eck it was chilly, even though I was layered up.:cold:
Across the A61 at Alwoodley Gates and straight on, climbing up Alwoodley Lane to King Lane, where it was right again all the way to Golden Acre Park and then up the hill heading for Black Hill Road (although I missed @Old jon who also rode this way at some point today). Off the cliff at the top and plunged down the 20% hill, hitting 39.1 mph :hyper:before sanity got the better of me and I reined it in around the corners and reached the A659 turning left along the valley bottom.
Through Arthington and the signs for the TdY and on to Pool-in-Wharfdale, bearing right at the roundabout and crossing the River Wharf.
Next left and on past the farms, getting passed by a couple of racing snakes and taking the narrow bridge over the River Washburn and climbing up the hill to Farnley.
What a glorious day it was by this point. The sun was still shining and the temperature had finally started to rise - all was good in the world!
Past Farnley Hall and then the rapid descent into Newall and Otley, passing quite a few cyclists heading up the hill before stopping (as is now traditional) at Wharf Meadows Park for a drink and a couple of pics in the St Georges Day sunshine...
IMG_20160423_092344691_HDR2.jpg
IMG_20160423_092436264_HDR.jpg

Refreshed it was back on the bike and over the bridge into Otley proper which seemed even busier than usual.
I usually press straight on through Otley, but stopped to make a purchase in honour of a fellow forumite:
IMG_20160423_095108839.jpg

Back on the bike with a couple of Weegman's Award Winning Pork Pies safely stashed for later, I rode on past Chevin Cycles and started the climb up to the A660 and the long ascent up to the Dyneley Arms.
It's a fast road, but most of the motorists were playing the game today so it almost passed without incident...until just before the S bend a couple in a silver Fiesta passed me (no problem there), before indicating to turn left down Old Pool Bank (fine, they had enough room), but then stopped dead in the entrance to the road, blocking the lane for reasons that can only have made sense to them (they had ample room to continue), forcing me to all but stop as the car that was overtaking me (with enough room) suddenly found itself with nowhere to go, leaving me in a similar predicament. Fortunately the first car then moved forward a couple of feet leaving me enough room to pass behind them...:eek:
Anyhow, carrying on round the bends and down to the lights, then a quick and mainly downhill run through Bramhope ^_^
Left onto Kings Road for the climb up past the quarry, then right and down past Golden Acre park and onto King lane, where I passed a family ride out on their MTBs - all having a good time, showing good bike craft on a surprisingly busy stretch of road and with all the motorists being sensible - see it can be done! :okay:
They all turned off towards Eccup and I carried on past the golf course and the climb up to Alwoodley Lane, where I retraced my earlier route all the way to Shadwell - although mainly downhill now, apart from the climb up from Alwoodley Gates.
Right at the end of Shadwell village I was passed by a Smart car in Team Sky livery - out scouting the route for next weekend perhaps? ;)
Up Coal Road, crossing the A58 again, and noticing I needed a couple of extra miles for a metric half century, turned onto Skeltons Lane where a proper racing snake passed me with a cheery 'morning'.
It's flat on here, the wind was behind me and I was nearly home so I thought I'd have a go at staying with him. Bad idea. He was like a machine! I was doing over 20 mph and he was leaving me for dead... :surrender:
Anyway, moving swiftly on, it was right onto Thorner Lane and then left onto the A64 for a quick run up to the Scholes turning. I got a gap in traffic so moved onto the ghost island early to avoid any conflict nearer the junction, passing another cyclist heading the other way who was doing exactly the same...;)
Right towards Scholes and up over the former railway bridge onto Main Street, where I was passed by an elderly couple in a Skoda (no problem with the pass), who, on spotting the locals out putting up bunting for the TdY, then stamped on the brakes and started pointing at them. They set off and then they performed an emergency stop when they had right of way, swerving in at a 30 degree angle nearly touching the kerb and forcing me to stop.
This appallingly bad driving continued the whole way through the village, with jerky and unnecessary braking / swerving (or both) every time they saw another car, pedestrian (on the footpath) or any more bunting...:wacko: Needless to say, I dropped well back and kept out of their way.
Fortunately they carried straight on at the Coronation Tree, while I turned right down Leeds Road and headed for home.

So, 33.33 miles (53.63 km) in 2 hrs 27 mins at an average of 13.6 mph, with 1,900 ft climbed. A good morning on the bike in near perfect conditions that not even two numpties could take the shine off. And another metric half in the bag - that will do for me. :okay:

23042016.jpg

PS - those pork pies were blooming delicious. Apparently I should now make a pork pie stop every time I go through Otley...:laugh:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
First ride since last Sunday - work keeps getting in the way of having an actual life...

Anyhow, bright and sunny but with a frost on the ground and the cars this morning when I pulled back the curtains, so wrapped up warm and out on the road bike just after 8 am.
In a rudimentary sort of way, I'd noticed that the wind was going to be from the north-west, so headed out to Otley on the basis that at least it would be behind me on the way back. Plus it would give me a chance to ride some of the roads being used by the TdY next weekend...

Out on Coal Road and across the A58 and down to Shadwell, turning left for the long climb up Main Street, which is in serious need of resurfacing. Reached the top and enjoyed the brief downhill before the climb up to Slaid Hill lights, where it was a quick right at the shops and left at the pub onto Wigton Lane and the run straight into the wind down to the A61. By 'eck it was chilly, even though I was layered up.:cold:
Across the A61 at Alwoodley Gates and straight on, climbing up Alwoodley Lane to King Lane, where it was right again all the way to Golden Acre Park and then up the hill heading for Black Hill Road (although I missed @Old jon who also rode this way at some point today). Off the cliff at the top and plunged down the 20% hill, hitting 39.1 mph :hyper:before sanity got the better of me and I reined it in around the corners and reached the A659 turning left along the valley bottom.
Through Arthington and the signs for the TdY and on to Pool-in-Wharfdale, bearing right at the roundabout and crossing the River Wharf.
Next left and on past the farms, getting passed by a couple of racing snakes and taking the narrow bridge over the River Washburn and climbing up the hill to Farnley.
What a glorious day it was by this point. The sun was still shining and the temperature had finally started to rise - all was good in the world!
Past Farnley Hall and then the rapid descent into Newall and Otley, passing quite a few cyclists heading up the hill before stopping (as is now traditional) at Wharf Meadows Park for a drink and a couple of pics in the St Georges Day sunshine...
View attachment 125889 View attachment 125890
Refreshed it was back on the bike and over the bridge into Otley proper which seemed even busier than usual.
I usually press straight on through Otley, but stopped to make a purchase in honour of a fellow forumite:
View attachment 125891
Back on the bike with a couple of Weegman's Award Winning Pork Pies safely stashed for later, I rode on past Chevin Cycles and started the climb up to the A660 and the long ascent up to the Dyneley Arms.
It's a fast road, but most of the motorists were playing the game today so it almost passed without incident...until just before the S bend a couple in a silver Fiesta passed me (no problem there), before indicating to turn left down Old Pool Bank (fine, they had enough room), but then stopped dead in the entrance to the road, blocking the lane for reasons that can only have made sense to them (they had ample room to continue), forcing me to all but stop as the car that was overtaking me (with enough room) suddenly found itself with nowhere to go, leaving me in a similar predicament. Fortunately the first car then moved forward a couple of feet leaving me enough room to pass behind them...:eek:
Anyhow, carrying on round the bends and down to the lights, then a quick and mainly downhill run through Bramhope ^_^
Left onto Kings Road for the climb up past the quarry, then right and down past Golden Acre park and onto King lane, where I passed a family ride out on their MTBs - all having a good time, showing good bike craft on a surprisingly busy stretch of road and with all the motorists being sensible - see it can be done! :okay:
They all turned off towards Eccup and I carried on past the golf course and the climb up to Alwoodley Lane, where I retraced my earlier route all the way to Shadwell - although mainly downhill now, apart from the climb up from Alwoodley Gates.
Right at the end of Shadwell village I was passed by a Smart car in Team Sky livery - out scouting the route for next weekend perhaps? ;)
Up Coal Road, crossing the A58 again, and noticing I needed a couple of extra miles for a metric half century, turned onto Skeltons Lane where a proper racing snake passed me with a cheery 'morning'.
It's flat on here, the wind was behind me and I was nearly home so I thought I'd have a go at staying with him. Bad idea. He was like a machine! I was doing over 20 mph and he was leaving me for dead... :surrender:
Anyway, moving swiftly on, it was right onto Thorner Lane and then left onto the A64 for a quick run up to the Scholes turning. I got a gap in traffic so moved onto the ghost island early to avoid any conflict nearer the junction, passing another cyclist heading the other way who was doing exactly the same...;)
Right towards Scholes and up over the former railway bridge onto Main Street, where I was passed by an elderly couple in a Skoda (no problem with the pass), who, on spotting the locals out putting up bunting for the TdY, then stamped on the brakes and started pointing at them. They set off and then they performed an emergency stop when they had right of way, swerving in at a 30 degree angle nearly touching the kerb and forcing me to stop.
This appallingly bad driving continued the whole way through the village, with jerky and unnecessary braking / swerving (or both) every time they saw another car, pedestrian (on the footpath) or any more bunting...:wacko: Needless to say, I dropped well back and kept out of their way.
Fortunately they carried straight on at the Coronation Tree, while I turned right down Leeds Road and headed for home.

So, 33.33 miles (53.63 km) in 2 hrs 27 mins at an average of 13.6 mph, with 1,900 ft climbed. A good morning on the bike in near perfect conditions that not even two numpties could take the shine off. And another metric half in the bag - that will do for me. :okay:

View attachment 125893
PS - those pork pies were blooming delicious. Apparently I should now make a pork pie stop every time I go through Otley...:laugh:

I like the burning cross

Osprey

Guru
A lovely early morning sunny day, a little cold with a bit of a breeze but you cant have it all. Roads were dry so took the Van Nic out. Headed off the Gower Peninsular through Gowerton and picked up the Clyne Valley cycle track. Despite it being only 7.30 there were plenty of cyclists and joggers around enjoying the weather. Picked up the Swansea bay cycle path which was also hosting a fun run with lots of runners of all ages getting ready for the start. Skirted around the Maritime quarter and set off alongside the main arterial route out of Swansea out towards Neath, through Baglan before emerging onto Aberafan seafront. Enjoying being out so headed out towards Margam past Tata Steels PortTalbot Plant which is at crisis point looking for new buyers. The plant is a major employer in the area and its closure would decimate the area and leave a major eyesore of a derelict plant.
Returned the same route but now with a North Westerly cross headwind. An enjoyable 51 miles in the sun.

upload_2016-4-23_19-27-48.png

IMG_20160423_100705.jpg

Tata Steelworks PortTalbot

IMG_20160423_102251.jpg

Aberafan Bay

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Another visit to Maryport. Chilly today compared with the last few days. I used the Papcastle, Broughton Moor route on the way out with a bit of a tiny error in Ellenborough. The air was very clear today and views out over the Solway were stunning. Criffell across the water felt almost touchable and the Isle of Man was clear on the horizon.

I took the coastal route away from Maryport with the Galloway hills showing well behind Criffell. It felt quite fast heading towards Allonby and I made the correct turn inland for Allerby. I altered my plan and headed for the Ellen valley and Gilcrux and then altered the plan again at Bridekirk. I was intrigued to discover if the bridge at Isel was open. Indeed it was and then again I decided to avoid the Isel road back. I went by the Ouse bridge and Embleton instead.

Nice if chilly 33 mile ride out today. Superb views and a pleasing series of plan changes, none of which dumped me into traffic. Must be getting to know the roads around here.

Tin Pot

Guru
Freezing cold ride with the cc. Probably should've taken a rest day ;)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
In a change to the advertised programme I didn't go on the Llandudno forum ride (sorry @nickyboy) due to last minute complications, so as a consolation headed out for a local loop this morning instead.

The route was based on the metric century I did last weekend (Shrewsbury - Baschurch - Ellesmere - Gobowen - Oswestry - Melverley - Westbury - Nox - Exfords Green) but with a few differences to shake things up a bit.

From the start I was following a rider setting a decent pace, who turned off after the first mile and a half, then I had to regulate myself along Roman Road and out of Shrewsbury on the road to Baschurch. By 7 miles in I realised that my latest saddle set up was good but not quite as good as hoped, so it was a bit stop-and-start up to Little Ness as I tried out a few changes. These did work though and I think I am on the right track now as the saddle was more comfortable than anything I've tried so far for almost all of the rest of the ride.^_^

Through Bascurch and onwards to the north I was working against the wind although it wasn't too bad at this point. Shortly before Bagley a tractor towing a slurry tanker slowly overtook. I was then in his slipsteam xx( (such as it was) and found him annoyingly slow for a a mile or so before he pulled in to allow traffic to pass. I then kept ahead of him until just after the ABP meat plant where he caught up and passed again shortly before turning off.

At Lower Hordley I turned off this road heading for Lee and Ellesmere. There was a lycra clad rider ahead who I slowly reeled in over the next couple of miles until just as we got to the slightly hilly bit he put on an extra spurt and left me unable to claim my scalp.:sad: He didn't look round once in the time I was catching up so he probably never even knew I was there.:rolleyes:

I'd planned a food stop at Ellesmere but was getting on so well that I carried on through town and on to the lanes to Oswestry. Here I'd planned a bit of exploring. The intention was to come out in St. Martins but I missed a junction and ended up on the main road to the east when I'd intended to come out in the village. Not a major problem really but this road is relatively busy and is double white lines most of the way so I was rather wary of the traffic. Fortunately there was only one overly close pass (from an Audi Q5 - surprise, surprise) before I got into the village.

Gobowen was next and from this direction has a nice descent into town where I got up enough speed to set off the 30mph warning sign :blush: and so did the guy who chose to overtake me at this point.:laugh: After that it was quite nice to get off these roads and onto some lanes again to Oswestry where I had an elevenses stop in my usual spot by the hill fort.

Rested and fed I set off again into the town centre where I had the following exchange in a traffic queue:

Van Driver: *Beep, beep*
Me: (looks round)
VD: (Points) your lights are on.
Me; I know ^_^
VD: It's bright sunshine :huh:
Me; I know! ^_^
VD: :headshake:

From here I had the northerly wind behind me and a good five miles of mostly downhill to look forward to. I kept up with the traffic through town then headed out to Maesbury at a very respectable 20+ cruising speed, settling down to a comfortable 15/16 mph on the way from Maesbrook to Melverley. After the slow climb to Halfway House I settled back to this steady pace through Westbury to Nox and onwards to Exfords Green.

This time I decided I would go to Condover to make sure of the mileage and here turned against the wind for the first time since Ellesmere. The wind had picked up somewhat since then and I was only able to manage 11/12 mph most of the rest of the way to home including the stretches where a cruising speed of 16/17 would be more usual.

63.2 miles for this trip at a very pleasing 14.8 mph average (my best for a metric century I believe). I was back for lunch a full hour earlier than I'd estimated.:okay:

Not many photos this time as I was concentrating on the riding:
DSC0003347.jpg

Ellesmere

DSC0003348.jpg

Lunch stop by Oswestry Hill Fort.

DSC0003350.jpg

Looking towards the Breidden from Melverley.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Only a bit of of utilitarian ride today, sadly. I was hoping to stretch the legs a bit further, but due to not being back from w*rk until 03:30 ish, I really didn't fancy getting up too early.
I had to get a few bits and pieces from town, so took the old pub bike and rode along the Washlands bike path to Beckets Park and the town centre.

DSC_3694.JPG

Once I'd done the shopping and my bike said goodbye to its neighbour, I added a couple of consolation miles by heading west instead of east, towards Briar Hill and the canal path and riverbanks before aiming back home.

DSC_3696.JPG

Urban use of the closed public conveniences by old Latimer & Crick building on the riverside.

Back home on 16.5 miles, just enough time for 40 winks before No 1 daughter dropped my granddaughter round for the rest of the day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/554251363

:smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
After yesterday's clipping issues I had to resort to some new shoes.

So new shoes and a bike only finished yesterday meant a gentle ride today to check all ok .

WP_20160424_001.jpg

Bike rides nice and did well had to clip the guards on as not got round to fitting the full guards yet.

WP_20160424_006.jpg

As you can see nice bright skies and hopefully dry all day, but roads very wet due to the overnight rain.

Katherine

Guru
IMG_20160423_150641452.jpg
Yesterday was one of my longest ride so far ever! (3rd metric century)
I also had my earliest start ever leaving home just after 7 a.m, I know lots of you do that all the time. I cycled into Manchester to join @nickyboy 's CC ride from Piccadilly station to Llandudno.

Before we set off, Nicky handed over the Cycle Chat Jersey that's been travelling North for a while. Although I tried to remember who everyone was, I failed badly, however it was really great to meet and ride with lots of Cycle Chatters. Someone got a p******* as we left the station but he and Nicky caught us up impressively quickly. We stopped in Altrincham to meet some more riders where I was able to get the route started properly on my phone and so as it talked to us from my bar bag I stayed at the back as the group stretched out.
It was a lovely route out of Manchester and through the beautiful countryside of Cheshire. I left them at the first coffee stop at Weaverham.

IMG_20160423_111042377.jpg

Then I rode back with Cathy ( who isn't on here but knows some people from the Friday rides.) as far as Dunham, then I tried to set off in the direction of Warburton Bridge except Google maps sent me round in circles because the gps didn't seem to know where I was. Anyway I found the way in the end and stopped to eat my sandwiches on a bench just before the bridge. Then it was into the wind all the way home going through Hollins Green, Glazebrook and Culcheth and back along the East Lancs cycle path.

Lovely riding on dry roads, in fact it's been dry here all week. The morning was stunningly beautiful sunshine and blue skies, a little wind but cold.
The afternoon was colder, windier and a bit cloudy.

If any Manchester cyclists would like to help pass the jersey around Manchester please post in the Who has the jersey thread. (I know it's about time I learnt how to link to another thread).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ride 5 post broken back. Didn't feel like it this morning as I'd had a rough night in pain (good pain from the Physioterrorist).

Headwind out from Gronnant to The Bike Hub in Rhyl - really struggled going out at 11mph on 2.4" knobblies at 20 PSI (comfy but my, do they drag).

Stopped for a well deserved coffee and kit kat. Three cyclists appeared and I thought, 'hmmm are these the CC Llandudno group on the way home', then the chap with the tyre issue mentioned Llandudno. Then I recognised the other chap's cut knee. :ohmy:

Sorry I didn't say hello, I'm not really in the mood for socialising as the cycling is killing me at the minute, feel like I've just started again.

I made a better return at around 16 mph, then was passed by the CC group near Prestatyn Golf Club.

Just 14 miles at 13mph.

1461490377753-334950834.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom