Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was in two minds about what to do today...
The dog was back at the vets for more tests this morning at 10 am, which meant he'd need his tablets 5 hours before - yep, at 5 am! So, should I get up then and get out early, to be back in time to take the hound, or get up and give him his tablets then go back to bed, fitting in a ride later in the day?
Sorry folks, I was knackered, so it was back to bed. :laugh:

That meant that it was just after 11 by the time I got back from the vets and changed to get out on the hybrid into a clear but chilly day.
Across the Ring Road and down to Wetherby Road and onto the Wyke Beck Way just shy of Roundhay Park and enjoying the ride through the woods down to Easterly Rd and then onto Arthurs Rein. Instead of following the signed route, I crossed the beck on the bridge by Grange Park Crescent and cycled on the opposite side to the "official" route on the narrow beck side path. I suddenly felt quite old as I last cycled along here in the mid-80's with my mates on our racers when we were still at school. I'm not sure I remember the path being as narrow, even though it must have been! :laugh:
Anyhow, onto Fearnville Fields and then across a couple of roads and onto Killingbeck Fields, back on the WBW now and climbing up to the retail park.
I was really huffing and puffing on the uphill bits, especially into the wind. Not sure why, maybe it was just one of those days.
Unintentionally annoyed a motorist by using the ASL then taking primary through the lights and up through the Sutton Estate and over the railway bridge into Primrose Valley Park, where the International Guild of Bottle Smashers are clearly still holding regular meetings.
Instead of following the usual route to the right down the hill to Lucy Avenue, I took a left and climbed the gentle hill up to Primrose Ave, which had the benefit of avoiding the climb up the busy dual carriageway of Selby Road and the stupid cycling provision at the top.
A quick scoot through the traffic lights and past the shops and I was onto Temple Newsam Road for the long climb up to the park itself, which was as busy as I've seen it so far this year. From there I followed NCN R66 out through Colton and across the Ring Road, then down through Thorp Park and the bridleway across the M1 and down through the woods to Garforth.
A quick left then left again onto Nanny Goat Lane and up past the riding school and onto the bridleway and the descent back under the M1 and down to Manston Lane.
Into the wind along there, past the Pet Hotel and then a quick run through Pendas Fields down to Barwick Road and then on to home.

14.66 miles (23.6 km) in 1 hr 23 m at an average of 11.1 mph, with 856 ft climbed. That'll do for me ^_^

24042016.jpg

Sorry, no photos today - not sure why I didn't take any, but I didn't stop anywhere so there you go...:rolleyes:
Noticed that the rear tyre could do with a bit of air in it when I got home so I pumped it up (it didn't need much). :pump:
Maybe that was why I was struggling on the hills? :rolleyes: It seems to be holding but I'll check it again tomorrow to be sure.

Oh, and the dog will get his test results on Tuesday, but the vet is happy with the progress he's making so all is well in the world. :okay:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Cancelled due to the lack of interest – I must get my arse back into gear

Aravis

Putrid Donut
My 250th century!

I wanted to do this as soon as possible. I haven't seen anything in the weather forecast to suggesting any settled weather this week. I seem to be struggling to shake off a virus and I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks off the bike after which we should be into some pleasant warm weather and it will feel good to be out again. Today was bitterly cold with an insistent northerly wind, never particularly strong but always there. At times I had the "will I ever want to do this again?" feeling, but as always, you don't feel that once you've finished. The ride is here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/555400997

I had thought that I was hoping for a more distinguished effort for the 250th. On reflection, well over half the ride was on roads completely new to me, which is unusual. Sometimes a single spectacular moment can make a ride. The strongest contender today must be the stupendous view which suddenly opened up on the B4204 heading towards Tenbury Wells, a route which must be revisited. I have one photograph from the day:

Stanford.JPG

Kaiser making a brief stop beside the river Teme at Stanford Bridge.

Two wildlife highlights: a cock yellowhammer sitting in a hedge beside the road close enough for me to see every feather, and a long-tailed tit, equally close, carrying a pheasant feather for it's nest.

I'm feeling very weary, and a couple of glasses of wine have slipped down very easily. It was a ride I will always remember.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
The best laid plans ...
I had intended just to pop out and get some bluebells pics - instead I carried on and put into another 50km for this year's challenge. I had to hide under cover a couple of times because of hail showers, and my fingers regretted the decision to wear fingerless gloves, but nevertheless I enjoyed myself immensely.
Here's three photographs from the trip.

This out near Bucklesham.

1.JPG

This out near the old WW2 airfield at Debach.

4.JPG

And these of the things I had intended to take pics of in the first place.

5.JPG

I cycled the Etape Loch Ness today. 66 miles, so my longest cycle so far, and I managed to cycle all the way up the 5 mile hill out of Fort Augustus which is just under 1200 feet in a single climb so by a long way my biggest hill and my hugest achievement.

Didnt win any fastest time awards, but got the podium pic to remember a brilliant day.

Etape_zps3qsrmw2v.jpg

Kudos given for that:thumbsup:

Old jon

Guru
Cor, it was proper cold out there.
That bad it scrambled my grey cell, I did not have a sensible route in mind when I left home this morning. Generally north and west, Otley as an aiming point I suppose. The same start as Saturday, Holbeck, Office Lock and Viaduct Road. It does miss out a lot of traffic lights through the rest of Leeds . . .
Past Lawnswood School on the Ring Road and continue all the way to Bramhope. Turn right onto Creskeld Lane, which had a left hand border of farmyard almost all the way down. Curbed my enthusiasm a bit, that did. Turn left at the bottom and follow the A 659 all the way to Otley, where I stopped to munch. Daft decision there, my fingers were soon freezing.
So I took the A 660 uphill back towards Leeds, that normally warms me up, but no, by the time I reached the Dynely Arms I had decided that when I reached Bramhope I would turn right and climb up into the village centre.

That warmed me up, and the road to the Cookridge water tower kept me warm too. Dropped back down to the A 660, turn right in Headingly for a whizzz to Kirkstall and the towpath again to Office Lock. 30.4 miles, and mostly cold it was.

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Not much of a ride but still a ride.
7 miles in total, Ride up to Darlaston along the main road. Loving the GT`s gearing. Nice effortless ride and I wasnt just pootling along either ^_^:bicycle:
Started raining just as I got there and took shelter down the side of Asda :laugh: Set back off when the meeting I had attended to was over and the rain had cleared. Took the road down to the bridge where I usually jump onto the canal only to find workmen had blocked it off to put tarmac down on the towpath. No problemo, Down to the next bridge. Got down onto the towpath and started sliding about on the new gravel stuff they had put down. Eventually got into Walsall. Nackered :laugh::bicycle:

Not my ride but my 5 year old lads first proper ride :bravo::bravo:went to Centre parcs in Penrith for weekend and hired a 16" schwinn bike. Within a few hours he was off and loved it !!! Very proud of him. Down side is he has seen a nice lime green bike that happens to be a Isla bike cnoc 16 :sad:.....a pricey little number poor dad has to buy now. His little face makes it all worth while even when we had snow in the morning he wanted to go out. Snow, in April ???

Top Bottom