Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice easy commute in today;usual A10 with the last bit along the cycle path.

Was a bit later in leaving so traffic was busier and that's just the cycle path:laugh: and nearly had a head-on with a rowing 'coach':angry:;but generally a pretty child out(and chilly!) commute;

https://www.strava.com/activities/557050911#comments

Found out when I loaded the ride up that a guy from the club had just smashed a couple of Strava segments on the A10;one a good 30 seconds quicker than a pro rider Ed Bradbury:ohmy::wacko:;no chance of getting near that one now then,will just have to concentrate on the old bloke KOM:laugh::rolleyes:.

Another day, another intervals, another roadworks.

Did not actually go past thre roadworks concerned but they were causing tailbacks so as always improvise with loop around Shepperton, and then did a loop over to Weybridge, where I encountered a brief hailstorm

THe two longish threshold efforts were quite hard.

Still arrived home in the sun.

29.97 miles (call it 30)
17.4 mph average
Just 472 feet of climbing

https://www.strava.com/activities/558104262

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Not quite so breezy today, but just before I left home, the hail started falling. Wonderful Paramo hat on and off I go. A bit of Holbeck, as ever. Cross the river on Crown Point Bridge, past the New Roscoe pub and climb to the Oakwood clock. Boot Hill is still a difficult one, at least it tells you if your lungs are working well. Without an appointment.

Turn right on Red Hall Lane, eventually left to go to Thorner, from there up Church Hill and onwards to Bramham and a little sidestep to go through Clifford and the eastern edge of Boston Spa. I did stop for a sandwich on Paradise Way in Bramham, at the end of a bridleway signposted for Clifford. It was surfaced, and I may check it out properly if warmer weather arrives.

Anyway, north ( ish ) to Wetherby roundabout, turn left for Collingham and turn left UP Jewitt lane, East Rigton and back to Thorner, from where I retraced my outward route to complete 32.8 miles in rather wintry conditions. Good though.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice ride out to Cambridge and back, lovely weather great company, Nice bit of brunch in Cambridge the a good ride back in the Sun, Ended up at bike Boutique for a coffee and chat. I love being retired:okay: Out for another little ride tonight with my better half and a mate, i think we could end up in the pub.:laugh:
https://www.strava.com/activities/558255252#kudos

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
More luggage and some paperwork to take to Maryport today. So the standard way out. Thankfully it wasn't quite so cold today and the wind was a bit more of a westerly. I took my usual route away from Maryport and as I reached the path along the roadside I spotted a rider ahead. He turned inland at my turn too so I caught him not long after that. It was a chap I'd passed yesterday and he'd ridden on my wheel briefly. I went by Hayton again and then took to the Allerby loop. I caught the same chap again after Gilcrux so this time I slowed for a chat. He'd taken a shorter route around than me. He's training for a 265 mile, 2 day charity ride. Sounded like an epic to me given his obvious lack of training. We parted after Tallentire and I wished him the best of luck with his challenge. Good for him - he'll complete it for sure I thought as he was well up for it. I parted for Bridekirk and took the Isel and Ouse bridge way back. There were some showers around but they were mostly on the opposite side of the Solway. So dry roads for me and a good ride today getting the business done as well as the (35) miles.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A nice chilly pre work ride this morning still doing test miles on my latest build a Dawes Galaxy Tour.

WP_20160428_001.jpg

Although car roofs,verge's and fields were frosty the roads were ok.

WP_20160428_003.jpg

Only 12 mile loop so fairly local and just enough to stretch the legs for the day ahead.

WP_20160428_005.jpg

Alex H

Legendary Member
Visitors from the UK gone to see the martyr village at Oradour-sur-Glane, my wife has a physio appointment, and it's :sun: (but cold i.e. less than 10+C), so I did a reverse of my usual St, Cyr, St Auvent, Rochechouart loop.

Starting with the roundabout at Rochechouart

P4280207.jpg

The Gorret just before it joins the Gorre

P4280208.jpg

The forest looks a bit more alive now

P4280210.jpg

It appears that all rural Mairies have one of these now

P4280211.jpg

Banana stop at the church in St Auvent (it's got a seat ^_^)

P4280212.jpg

Route map

route.jpg

30km in 1hr 24mins

13 rider

Guru
Second day off work yesterday was diy day spent the day glossing all the woodwork in the bathroom . I hate painting it was all little fiddly bits and one big door panel . But sticking at it made this morning free ^_^ . So time for a bike ride . Sunshine this morning but a bit chilly forecast was to get worse so out at 0900 . Headed out to Market Bosworth via Markfield ,Thornton ,Odestone ,Shackerstone ,Congerstone ,Far Coton The lanes round here are nice and quite and not to hilly .Stopped at Shenton station for a coffee but cafe was closed :sad: could have doubled back to whitemoors in Shenton but decided to head home as it was being to cloud over . So one to Kirby Mallory ,Peckleton ,Desford ,Kirby Muxloe ,Ratby ,Groby and Anstey were I checked odemeter which read 46.5 miles so turn away from home out to Thurcaston and Cropston and back to Anstey to get a imperial half century in . While climbing Link Rd to home a guy on cervelo c5 pulled alongside he was out for a lunch time from Loughborough 10 miles away and was doing Polly Botts lane on the way back .We rode the last mile to my house just chatting away a nice way to finish the ride . 51.7 miles done . Was at home for 15 mins and it starting raining good timing ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

54 miles the journey, Hatton Locks the journey, my usual Thursday loop meeting with friends in the Cafe. An enjoyable morning on the bike and my first ride for several weeks where I've been comfortable on the bike, the painkillers that the doctor gave me for my back problem seem to be working very well at the moment. A bright sunny morning but very cold, I'm back in full winter gear again, and that should have gone in the wardrobe by now ready for next winter. There was also a stiff cold breeze blowing, I had it in my face most of the way out and at my back for a lot of the ride home. The forecast rain never arrived, it was spitting in the wind on the way across Coventry but that was that.

Gareth C

Veteran
This week I’ve been away at the best conference: The High Polymer Research Group meeting, at Pott Shrigley, near to Macclesfield. Not only are there lots of old friends, and great topics of discussion, but also free afternoons, with lots of cycling on offer!

Despite the unseasonable weather, we managed to get out for three days in a row.

screen-shot-2016-04-28-at-21-05-38.png

Monday (red)
First was a trip onto the Cheshire Plains for a ride up the cobbles of Swiss Hill in Alderley Edge.

“Swiss Hill is tough, probably tougher than you get in a lot of Belgian Classics,” says Ian Stannard. (Cycling Weekly)”​

It was a fast group ride, with beautiful lanes, spoilt only by the lack of tolerance of the local drivers for bikes…

Tuesday (green)
Heading the other way, Rob and I headed into the hills, with fast descent to Kettleshulme, a big climb up to Windgather, and then back via the steep descent to Bollington.

wp_20160426_14_39_35_pro.jpg

Wednesday (blue)
Final day of the meeting, so time to get a longer ride in. Again up into the hills, but further afield into the Goyt Valley. On the climb up to Windgather, Neal said “crikey, I’m glad we’re not in that” referring to a black cloud behind us; within seconds we were overtaken by it, and in snow, hail and blizzard for the rest of the day!

wp_20160427_14_25_53_pro.jpg

In a curious masochistic way, it was fun.

wp_20160427_15_19_19_pro.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual.
After a stupid o'clock finish (02:00) I had the chance of meeting a couple of mates for a shortish pedal around as they were off work, but they blew out, citing 'Honey Do' lists for the morning as the reason/excuse. I think it was actually the frost put them off :laugh:

Never mind, after a nippy start, I headed up towards Pitsford Res for a quick circuit and was soon feeling quite warm. The sun was shining, with blue skies and lovely looking clouds. (And edible clouds of flies and well! I'm glad I wore my Buff so I could filter them out!)
After the 7 miles ride round, I aimed back the way I came as I had to be home by middayish.

IMG_20160428_120324.jpg

Untitled.png

Back on 21 miles feeling refreshed and ready for lunch and w*rk.. Boooo!

https://www.strava.com/activities/559020410

:smile:

Last edited:

BSRU

A Human Being
A pretty brutal 63.5km this morning, averaging 15m of climbing per 1km of riding(about 79ft per mile):wacko:.
It wasn't the climbing that made it brutal it was the mixed bag of weather, sunshine, cold/cloudy and wintry showers:cold::rain::sun:.
On my final big climb(a cat 3) the cold side wind turned from gusty to very stormy, just about stayed on the bike. With a left turn and 300m of climbing to go I was grinding straight into a wind doing it's best to blow me off. The weather then decided to get worse by adding in lots of painful hailstones:eek:.

It was looking nice^_^.
C0007(1).jpg

Then two minutes later, my face was in pain from the hailstones:B).
C0008(1).jpg

The another two minutes later, the sun came out but it was a little muddy:sad:.
C0008(2).jpg

Now going out to the garage to clean the bike as it looks like I've been doing some cycle cross on it:okay:.

Top Bottom