Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Only about a quarter mile post fettling ride. between myself and the previous owner, we wore out the bottom bracket and pedal axle on the Schwinn Impact, so sealed bracket and a different saddle fitted and we were good to go. So round about the block we went in 30 mph + winds.
53F
12C
Winds W22G30
Relative Humidity 47%
Barometer 30.07
Cloudy/Breezy
Frost alert.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Right after yesterday and all the d.i.y. today was going to be a leg stretch.I am going out on Monday,York with a bit of luck.So a nice breakfast and away at 10-30.Nice morning ,wind just a little sharp,so coat on.Usual route to Otley,nothing hard about that.So i get to Eccup Res and then Five Lane Ends as it is named.Not feeling good,so decide a visit to Headingley for a latte.Just got past Lawnswood Crem.When i say to myself,you are supposed to be going to Otley,turn around.So i duly set off for Otley,again.I get nearly to Bramhope,young cyclists many of then women are flying past me.Sod this i turn around and i go for that latte.Fifteen sad and rubbish miles.I have done some d.i.y. since i came back.Monday is going to be a very BIG day.Something is wrong,i feel empty and crap.
A like for the report. Sorry you weren't feeling good on the ride though. I hope the next one is better.:okay:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterdays ride report:

Time for the latest challenge ride and for this one I wanted to step things up a bit so headed out to do my first imperial century of 2016. With the forecast being for a light northerly wind I picked a route to Ludlow which would give me a long stretch with the wind at my back.

Having done it a few times before I know this route needs a bit added on at some point to be sure of the century so I opted to do it at the start by heading out on well trodden roads to Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna and into the centre of Shrewsbury where in a change to my usual way I used the roads as they were quiet to avoid the muddy and rough canal path.

After a nice riverside ride I then headed out of town to Montford Bridge, Great Ness and onwards to Melverley. I was getting on quite well in the light wind but it was cold out and despite the sunshine felt more like March than May.

After Westbury I could feel the benefit of doing the route this way round as the northerly wind was at my back and would be for most of the next 40 miles. I had a short stop in Montgomery for a bite to eat then continued on through Bishop's Castle and Lydbury North, passing the metric century mark shortly after the village (at almost the exact spot I had to make the decision to abandon a previous ride this time last year).

After a drink stop and a chat with a passer by at Kempton I was moving on again and the route started to get a bit more lumpy. I'd intended to have my lunch stop somewhere round Leintwardine but I suddenly found I was struggling up the hills and my stomach was complaining of neglect so a gateway with a view at the top of one of the climbs near Hopton Heath seemed as good a place as any to have a break. The descent from this stop was a pretty good one and I clocked the highest speed of the trip: 33.3 mph.^_^

I was perking up again by Leintwardine which was good as the first big climb of the day through the Mortimer Forest to Ludlow was coming up. I dropped into a lowish gear and took it easy and this one was despatched without too much trouble with a nice fast descent the other side, apart from having to slow for a set of traffic lights part way down.

Ludlow was busy as the Spring Food Festival was on in the castle (@gavgav was attending and sampling some of the beers :cheers:) I only stopped long enough to grab a few snaps then headed onwards again using the bridleway to Bromfield, passing the Ludlow Food Centre and Islabikes then it was northwards to the second big climb up Seifton Batch and over to Wall. On the lanes this side I encountered a couple in a car who wanted directions and wondered if I was local. I didn't know the place they were after by name so couldn't help but looking at the map later, realised I'd ridden past it only a quarter of a mile previously. Feel a bit silly now.:blush:

At about 93 miles I was low on energy again but couldn't face more cake so broke open the jelly babies instead which helped a lot. I was also feeling a bit saddle sore by this point but as it's my first ride of this length since December on the new Team Pro saddle and since I've only recently settled on the set up I like as well, I'm actually quite pleased with how I got on.

As is often he case the last few miles weren't quick but I made it and felt better at the end than I have on some flatter centuries. I could tell it's been a while since the last one though.

110.8 miles at 13.3 mph moving average (9 hours 45 minutes when all the stops are included).

DSC0003482.jpg

Castellated cottage adjacent to Attingham Park.

DSC0003483.jpg

A work in progress - this is the old flax mill in Ditherington, Shrewsbury. It was the worlds first iron framed building and forerunner of the modern skyscraper. It's under restoration at the moment and planned to be the centrepiece of a regeneration for this bit of town.

DSC0003486.jpg

Down in The Quarry: Hercules is content now he has his teddy.:whistle:

DSC0003490.jpg

I made good progress to Montgomery where it's turned into a lovely sunny (but still a bit chilly) day.

DSC0003492.jpg

Great scenery on the way to Bishop's Castle.

DSC0003497.jpg

Cottages in Bishop's Castle.

DSC0003500.jpg

Lunch stop with a view.

DSC0003502.jpg

Pipe Aston on the road to the Mortimer Forest.

DSC0003506.jpg

Ludlow.

DSC0003509.jpg

Another restoration project - the water mill on the Oakly Park Estate at Bromfield.

Last edited:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
A quickie solo ride today as family stuff is the order of the day repeated most of a ride from the other week but a little slower lol.Went through the Walthams down towards Twyford then off to Wokingham and across to Reading Caversham to Henley that's a nice road first time I've ridden that a long winding road with some good speeds to be had :okay:. Up the only noteable hill out of Henley I got a PB on which was good. Quick cuppa at the Velolife cafe then down to Knowl Hill and back through to home. A bloomin cold ride should have wrapped up better nearly turned round early on but was lovely why the sun came out. No pictures today a touch over 39 miles in 2 hours 9 mins with 960 ft of climbing and a 18.3 mph avg.

https://www.strava.com/activities/576500194
Cheers
Mark.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Yesterdays ride report:

Time for the latest challenge ride and for this one I wanted to step things up a bit so headed out to do my first imperial century of 2016. With the forecast being for a light northerly wind I picked a route to Ludlow which would give me a long stretch with the wind at my back.

Having done it a few times before I know this route needs a bit added on at some point to be sure of the century so I opted to do it at the start by heading out on well trodden roads to Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna and into the centre of Shrewsbury where in a change to my usual way I used the roads as they were quiet to avoid the muddy and rough canal path.

After a nice riverside ride I then headed out of town to Montford Bridge, Great Ness and onwards to Melverley. I was getting on quite well in the light wind but it was cold out and despite the sunshine felt more like March than May.

After Westbury I could feel the benefit of doing the route this way round as the northerly wind was at my back and would be for most of the next 40 miles. I had a short stop in Montgomery for a bite to eat then continued on through Bishop's Castle and Lydbury North, passing the metric century mark shortly after the village (at almost the exact spot I had to make the decision to abandon a previous ride this time last year).

After a drink stop and a chat with a passer by at Kempton I was moving on again and the route started to get a bit more lumpy. I'd intended to have my lunch stop somewhere round Leintwardine but I suddenly found I was struggling up the hills and my stomach was complaining of neglect so a gateway with a view at the top of one of the climbs near Hopton Heath seemed as good a place as any to have a break. The descent from this stop was a pretty good one and I clocked the highest speed of the trip: 33.3 mph.^_^

I was perking up again by Leintwardine which was good as the first big climb of the day through the Mortimer Forest to Ludlow was coming up. I dropped into a lowish gear and took it easy and this one was despatched without too much trouble with a nice fast descent the other side, apart from having to slow for a set of traffic lights part way down.

Ludlow was busy as the Spring Food Festival was on in the castle (@gavgav was attending and sampling some of the beers :cheers:) I only stopped long enough to grab a few snaps then headed onwards again using the bridleway to Bromfield, passing the Ludlow Food Centre and Islabikes then it was northwards to the second big climb up Seifton Batch and over to Wall. On the lanes this side I encountered a couple in a car who wanted directions and wondered if I was local. I didn't know the place they were after by name so couldn't help but looking at the map later, realised I'd ridden past it only a quarter of a mile previously. Feel a bit silly now.:blush:

At about 93 miles I was low on energy again but couldn't face more cake so broke open the jelly babies instead which helped a lot. I was also feeling a bit saddle sore by this point but as it's my first ride of this length since December on the new Team Pro saddle and since I've only recently settled on the set up I like as well, I'm actually quite pleased with how I got on.

As is often he case the last few miles weren't quick but I made it and felt better at the end than I have on some flatter centuries. I could tell it's been a while since the last one though.

110.8 miles at 13.3 mph moving average (9 hours 45 minutes when all the stops are included).

View attachment 128447
Castellated cottage adjacent to Attingham Park.

View attachment 128448
A work in progress - this is the old flax mill in Ditherington, Shrewsbury. It was the worlds first iron framed building and forerunner of the modern skyscraper. It's under restoration at the moment and planned to be the centrepiece of a regeneration for this bit of town.

View attachment 128449
Down in The Quarry: Hercules is content now he has his teddy.:whistle:

View attachment 128451
I made good progress to Montgomery where it's turned into a lovely sunny (but still a bit chilly) day.

View attachment 128452
Great scenery on the way to Bishop's Castle.

View attachment 128453
Cottages in Bishop's Castle.

View attachment 128454
Lunch stop with a view.

View attachment 128455
Pipe Aston on the road to the Mortimer Forest.

View attachment 128456
Ludlow.

View attachment 128458
Another restoration project - the water mill on the Oakly Park Estate at Bromfield.
That must be the namesake for the town in Illinois, which was supposedly in the science fiction film Beginning of the End, arguably one of the worst science fiction films made. Many Eastern Illinois towns are mentioned as the grasshoppers, which ate irradiated vegetables and grew to gigantic size, ate their way to Chicago, where they were lured into a cold watery death in Lake Michigan by an electronic grasshopper call .

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That must be the namesake for the town in Illinois, which was supposedly in the science fiction film Beginning of the End, arguably one of the worst science fiction films made. Many Eastern Illinois towns are mentioned as the grasshoppers, which ate irradiated vegetables and grew to gigantic size, ate their way to Chicago, where they were lured into a cold watery death in Lake Michigan by an electronic grasshopper call .
I had to look that one up: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050177/synopsis?ref_=tt_stry_pl :laugh:

Quite a few place names got taken across when people emigrated. I believe there are three or four Shrewsbury's your side of the pond for example.

https://www.strava.com/activities/576845638

A Skyride Social, up to Winchester, via the pretty back roads today

image.jpeg

2 of the gang in the Wetherspoons.

image.jpeg

Generic shot from Morestead road

image.jpeg

Lovely views.

image.jpeg

Post ride beer:cheers:.

Lovely day for it too.:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1258

Shenton the destination, 52 miles the journey. What a contrast between last Sunday than this, last Sunday I was in shorts and a short sleeved top, today I was in tights a base layer, a short sleeved top and a long sleeved jersey and I was cold. My usual route out, out through Shilton, Withybrook and Monks Kirby, turned up the climb and through Claybrooke Parva and Claybrooke Magna and on to Frolesworth, Primethorpe, Sutton In The Elms through Thurleston and across the A47 then turned down Peckleton lane to Kirby Mallory, across the A447 through Sutton Cheney and onto Shenton. Leaving Shenton I turned through Upton crossed the A444 through Atterton and Witherly and crossed the A5 on the outskirts of Atherstone, turned through Mancetter and up Purley Chase, the bluebells are still going strong, very pretty, at the top I turned left and picked up my usual route through Astley and home. Not as enjoyable as last week but a reasonable morning out on the bike, hard work into the breeze most of the way round.

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays beerfest, I surprised myself in getting ready to go out on the road bike this morning (it's usually the hybrid on such days).

Anyhow, looking to mix things up a bit I headed out on Coal Road (would you believe the traffic lights are still not detecting bikes...) and straight on down to the A58. Instead of going over to Shadwell, I turned right up the A58 for a half mile blast to the right turning to Thorner via Carr Lane. I think I might add the dogleg down to Shadwell and back up to the crossroads at Carr Lane next time as it will be safer...
Anyhow, I did Carr Lane the other way last weekend, and I'm pleased to say it's just as lovely doing the return trip. Eventually emerged by the Mexborough Arms in Thorner, where I did a left and then picked up Milner Lane and the climb up out of the village and onto Thorner Lane and Thorner Road to (almost) Bramham, where I took West Woods Road towards Wetherby. Across the roundabout, where I almost got done by a Peugeot driver with a case of premature indication and down the big hill into Wetherby, hitting 37.8mph :hyper:. Past the police station and just before the bridge almost got squeezed into the kerb where the road narrows by a Citroen driver who had to get in front and stay inside the white line despite nothing coming the other way...
Anyhow, along Horsefair and back out over the A1(M) bridge into the countryside, before a quick ride down to the Thorp Arch turning and the run down to the village.
Instead of going straight through, I turned left for a diversion through Walton, past the idyllic looking All Saints Church and back into Thorp Arch and down to the bridge, where I stopped in the glorious sunshine for a few photos and a drink:
IMG_20160515_102621792_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160515_102647053_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160515_102710703_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160515_102956014_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle, off up the hill to Boston Spa, passing a couple on a tandem heading the other way, then on a slightly roundabout route to Clifford, down to Bramham and up the legendary Town Hill, then onto Toulston Lane and back out into the countryside, where the temperature had dropped a good few degrees from the earlier stop at Thorp Arch (checking Garmin when I got home the temperature had actually dropped from 19 to 12 degrees C :cold:)
Anyway, right onto Garnet Lane and across the A64 bridge and down Moor Lane into Stutton. On a whim I decided to plunge down Fanny Lane, rather than taking the main road through the village, and thoroughly enjoyed the diversion.
From there the single track road out to the A162 and the climb up to Towton, where I picked up some sort of cycling event and unfortunately some examples of the worst type of cyclist behaviour. A pair of herberts, one in replica FPK and the other in club kit, guzzling gels and tossing the wrappers onto the verges and in the road. :cursing:
After that it was along the ridge and down into Saxton, through the village and then a brief stop at the bench for a drink and some Haribo Tangfastic.
I was passed by a few more event riders here, before setting off down to Copley Lane, where the event directions were sending them off towards Sherburn, but I turned left towards Lotherton Hall and Aberford.
Through there and the climb up Cattle Lane, before the descent down to Cock Beck and the climb back up to Barwick. From there on to Scholes, then down Leeds Road and local roads up to home.

A very enjoyable 35.1 miles (56.48km) in 2h 26m at an average of 14.4mph, with 1,830ft climbed. Loads of other cyclists out which was generally good to see and significantly better weather than was forecast.
15052016.jpg

One thing I have noticed from most of my rides is that compared to virtually everyone else on here, there seem to be very few café stop opportunities. In fact, apart from the hideously expensive café at Lotherton Hall, I'm struggling to think of anywhere bike friendly to stop on this route. :sad:
Not to worry though, as Mrs ND greeted me at home with a bacon butty :okay:

H & DW ride today. Did not find anyone doing the longer distance,( but later found there were some)

Went to Henley the roundabout route via Marlow to Henley, but did not stop until the Velolife cafe at Warren Row, a full 40 miles in.

Quicker way back.
Although it was sunny, left arm warmers on. It was more pleasant though, and we did not hang about too much.

63.76 miles done @ 16.2 mph

1916 feet climbed

Good outing

https://www.strava.com/activities/576787169

mark st1

Plastic Manc
H & DW ride today. Did not find anyone doing the longer distance,( but later found there were some)

Went to Henley the roundabout route via Marlow to Henley, but did not stop until the Velolife cafe at Warren Row, a full 40 miles in.

Quicker way back.
Although it was sunny, left arm warmers on. It was more pleasant though, and we did not hang about too much.

63.76 miles done @ 16.2 mph

1916 feet climbed

Good outing

https://www.strava.com/activities/576787169

Stalking me again :ph34r: good ride :thumbsup:

Top Bottom