Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Putting me to shame you are, climbing more in the last week than I have in the past year;) Fair play for doing that level of climbing day after day:okay:

Yes I agree with @cosmicbike , I have done just the one French mountain, iand it is a great effort.

Thanks chaps. Somehow it seems to get easier. At least as far as expecting the pace is concerned. I'm quite accepting of the ~5 mph climb speed on the long hard ones now. The toughest are when the heat is too much and the HR is getting up just pumping the cooling fluids around. Anyway - nearly finished now.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Gentle 16 mile bimble around the lanes with an old work colleague and friend today. Nice to just pootle about, chatting and catching up with news. Stopped for a pint and admired all the Jack Russell pictures in the Anchor at Epney.

Got home to find that Mrs Donger had turned the central heating on high to help dry the washing. Fell asleep within minutes of hitting the sofa .... something that didn't happen last week after my hilly audax or even the previous week after my hundred miler. Snored the early evening away in the blast furnace that is our living room.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nowt but commutes for me again this week. Worthy of note was the 'Whistl' van and generic WVM drivers on the somewhat 'exciting' approach to the Stanwell Moor roundabout where I have to cross 3 lanes of 50mph traffic. Both guys held back and gave me a load of room to get over, so cheers for that.
Looking forward to Friday, the metric half is planned and I'll have company too.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Day 11 Axat

..... On the long 10% haul to the Col de Pailheres it was merely misty. Well that’s an improvement. The Pailheres is high 2007 meters and it was cold up there. I put extra clothing on for the descent but not enough it transpired. I was frozen on the way down. Now that climb and descent needs to be done again in better weather. On the descent there were some lovely mountain villages and I found Richard, who had taken the easier route, on the way down. .......

Epic stuff! If it's the one I'm thinking of, I seem to remember the Col de Pailheres used to be called the Port de Pailheres, and is one of the three Tour de France HC rated climbs just outside Ax les Thermes (along with the Plateau de Beille and Ax Troi Domaines). I drove it a few years back and resolved to return one day with my bike, but haven't been able to do so yet. The descent on the far side is one of the most winding and wildly convoluted mountain roads I know anywhere, and it completely freaked out my satnav. "Continue for 21 miles..... perform a U turn when possible .....continue for 20.5 miles .... perform a U turn when possible ..... continue for 20.2 miles .... perform a U turn when possible .... "etc, etc for about ten minutes! Must have been fantastic to descend on a bike. I am beyond envious.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went out last weekend on a jaunt with a group off here who were going to Scarborugh. Almost the first ride out since about March. I lost the enthusiasm for getting out on the bike (not for the first time) and now maybe it has returned. Hence this mornings run out.
After seeing you on the Scarborough ride, I'm glad to hear that you are keeping it up, Colly!

If your restored enthusiasm would extend to a trip out to Waddington in the next month or so, then I'll organise a forum ride from Todmorden. I'd make it a 50-miler with moderate climbing and a mid-ride stop at the Country Kitchen cafe.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Epic stuff! If it's the one I'm thinking of, I seem to remember the Col de Pailheres used to be called the Port de Pailheres, and is one of the three Tour de France HC rated climbs just outside Ax les Thermes (along with the Plateau de Beille and Ax Troi Domaines). I drove it a few years back and resolved to return one day with my bike, but haven't been able to do so yet. The descent on the far side is one of the most winding and wildly convoluted mountain roads I know anywhere, and it completely freaked out my satnav. "Continue for 21 miles..... perform a U turn when possible .....continue for 20.5 miles .... perform a U turn when possible ..... continue for 20.2 miles .... perform a U turn when possible .... "etc, etc for about ten minutes! Must have been fantastic to descend on a bike. I am beyond envious.
Yes I reckon it's the same Pailheres climb. It is nearly as high as the more famous Tourmalet. TBH I really didn't see much of it in the mist. It just went on and on. Too cold to descend properly on my ride as I just had to minimise the wind chill. Got to go back on a better day I think.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Today’s ride started from our holiday cottage, a few miles south of Caernarfon, and went down to the end of the Llŷn Peninsula. The day was sunny, with blue skies and no clouds, although it was a little windy.

The first part of the route was down the A449, but this is provided with a reasonably good cycle path alongside. In places this is just a wide pavement, and in a few places it diverts from the road a little and follows what was the previous road, before widening took place. I’m not normally a fan of shared use footpaths, but in this case we met no-one and it did make the ride more pleasant.

At Trefor the road leaves the coast and heads upwards – into the wind, sadly – and then up again along the B4417. The first bit of this is very steep, but then settles into a slightly easier ascent (as far as ascents can ever be easy), with the high ground of the Tre’r Ceiri ancient fort on the right and views to Cardigan Bay on the left. The road wanders on through Nefyn and eventually on to Aberdaron, right at the end of the peninsula. We’d planned the route on minor roads, so rode closer to the coast than the B-road, with wonderfully blue sea to our right.
upload_2016-10-5_22-39-1.png

Aberdaron is a small village on a sandy bay, and was our tea-and-cake stop. And a visit from the fairy kept us there a quarter of an hour longer than we'd intended, but if you're going to have to fettle a bike, what more scenic place is there to do it?

upload_2016-10-5_22-39-46.png

upload_2016-10-5_22-40-33.png

From there the road climbs upwards again. The obvious route back to the starting point would involve joining the A499 to Pwllheli, but again we had planned on minor roads to avoid both the busy A road and the towns, and so wandered along a bit further inland, through several more long ups and downs. Going in this direction, the high points of the route gave us views into the mountains of Snowdonia, and also the mountains further south as far as Cadair Idris. The coast right round to Pembrokeshire was visible, albeit rather hazy.

The final leg of the trip, as the sun set, was joining the old railway path that parallels the A487. You can hear the traffic on the A road, but mostly cannot see it through the trees. There is a long, but shallow, climb to the col and then a long shallow descent on which it is very easy to build up a good speed – spoiled only by the need to stop now and then to open the gates when the path crosses a road or farm track!
By this time the sun was setting behind the higher ground to the west (due to the fact that we got up late, not to the length of the ride), so at times we got glimpses of a pastel blue sky fading into a pink horizon and purple sea, and to the east the odd glimpse of Snowdon turning mauve in the fading light.
Bike lights on as we rejoined the ‘real’ roads for the last couple of miles to the cottage – still under clear skies and still warm enough in only shorts and a cycling top – amazing weather for October!
69 miles, and a wonderful day out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/735434650

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With a mere 2 weeks and 5 days before the doctors allow me to cock a leg over a crossbar, I walked into town for my eye appointment at Specsavers..

DSC_0523.JPG

Me: I'm here for my 11:00 appointment. Post-Operation eye check.. Premium Varifocals, Reactions lens'. £69 range please.
Them: This is Subway....
Me: I've never had a Subway, do you do eye checks?
Them: Twat..

Anyways....... Having taken my business elsewhere, I had my eye check done, (not a skinny latte on rye without froth) and carried on on my walk down to the riverbank to Morrison's, where I called in to pick up a few bits of shopping, including a snack and a bottle of water, for my return hike home along the Washlands path.
Feeling a tad weary at 10 miles(ish) on Riverside, I stopped at McDonald's for a black coffee and a pee before aiming home, but as I was fairly nearby, I popped into the doctors to get signed off being sick (instead of phoning them). It was a bit of a challenge to sort out going back to work before my sickie officially ran out, but think I've sorted it, and hopefully I can get back to work a couple of weeks earlier than expected.

Untitled.png

With quite a few shorter walks during the last week or so, I was pleased to get a longer one done.

Eschewing the bus-pass option into, and back from, town I clocked up a half marathon!

13.2 miles, in lovely weather, wishing I'd worn shorts, not trousers!

:smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
With a mere 2 weeks and 5 days before the doctors allow me to cock a leg over a crossbar, I walked into town for my eye appointment at Specsavers..

View attachment 146726

Me: I'm here for my 11:00 appointment. Post-Operation eye check.. Premium Varifocals, Reactions lens'. £69 range please.
Them: This is Subway....
Me: I've never had a Subway, do you do eye checks?
Them: Twat..

Anyways....... Having taken my business elsewhere, I had my eye check done, (not a skinny latte on rye without froth) and carried on on my walk down to the riverbank to Morrison's, where I called in to pick up a few bits of shopping, including a snack and a bottle of water, for my return hike home along the Washlands path.
Feeling a tad weary at 10 miles(ish) on Riverside, I stopped at McDonald's for a black coffee and a pee before aiming home, but as I was fairly nearby, I popped into the doctors to get signed off being sick (instead of phoning them). It was a bit of a challenge to sort out going back to work before my sickie officially ran out, but think I've sorted it, and hopefully I can get back to work a couple of weeks earlier than expected.

View attachment 146727

With quite a few shorter walks during the last week or so, I was pleased to get a longer one done.

Eschewing the bus-pass option into, and back from, town I clocked up a half marathon!

13.2 miles, in lovely weather, wishing I'd worn shorts, not trousers!

:smile:
You should try the B.M.T. at Specsavers! Excellent! (last of their sandwiches still named for a New York City subway line,Brooklyn Mass Transit)

Nice pacy commute in today on a not quite so busy A10,no close passes and no nutcases either:thumbsup:.

Stopped Garmin at the lights in Fen Ditton and then 'warmed down' along Newmarket Rd and East Rd to the Espresso Library for coffee and sourdough toast and jam:cuppa::hungry: and to cap a good commute off they were playing 'Bob' as background music:becool:.

Planet X in Autumn/Winter commute mode;

IMG_20161006_065903781.jpg

And time for the This Is Cambridge Omloop socks;

IMG_20161006_065931318.jpg

Shame I have to come to work could have stayed in there for hours,,,,,

Dark46

Veteran
Went out yesterday evening for a quick ride as there was no official club ride.

@Frazzle called round just after 18:00 and we headed towards the centre of the city.

It didn't take long before a numpty in a car got upset at @Frazzle , it wasn't his fault but the driver had no patience. After a sound of the horn and hand waving it was over.

We collected Paul when we were told the other rider who was due to ride was out with a bad back.

So we headed out to Sandhurst lane and out into the country and it was time to turn our lights on. It was now that I realised I had no charge in the front light argh. So it was decided that the best thing for me was to stay in the middle or at the back.

A few times I wanted the pace to up but riding in a group you have to ride at the best pace for everyone.

The weather was perfect for a evening ride as it wasn't cold at all. Even with the headwind it wasn't too cold.

After heading through Sandhurst it wad through the lanes to Churchdown and Hucclecote then going through Abbeydale, where I had a near miss. @Frazzle had decided to go for a segment so I also decided to go for it to until a Focus nearly pulled out in front of me. I don't blame him, I applied the brakes and headed into the turning he was coming out of.

Well after that was uneventful and in the end in was 22.5 miles at 12.7mph average . It seemed slower lol but very enjoyable.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Today was nice and warm in the Sun, but once again chilly in the shade. I went out today to test my new Brooks saddle. It's the first time I've Tried it and I was a bit dubious about the whole " a harder saddle is better " concept, But I thought what the heck, here goes. As it turned out I did I 0 miles. Down to the B4404, over the river dovey, then right up to cemmaes village. I took a couple of Photos of a place I havn't been for a couple of years.

Then a right, onto the A489, then onto the A470 and back home. There was quite a headwind that made the temperature drop even more, but a very pleasant ride nonetheless. Oh and the saddle is brilliant.

20161006_134826.jpg
20161006_134818.jpg

20161006_134451.jpg

20161006_134126.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

54 miles the journey, Hatton Locks the destination. My usual Thursday loop with a twist, I did the ride on my fixed, the first time I've used the fixed on this route since the spring and the first ride on the Flyer since I put the short cranks and little gear on it, 165 cranks and a sixty four and a half inch gear gives me twenty mph max on the flat and thirty- thirty five comfortably on a descent, over that it starts to get too spinny. I was having fun until about twenty miles from home when I ran out of legs, I'm still recovering from last weeks man flu, nose still blocked, tinnitus and a slight cough, so perhaps todays ride was a bit too much too soon, the last six miles across Coventry was hard, by the time I got onto Beake avenue I just wanted to get off the bike. But it was a lovely day for a bike ride, bright sunny, fresh with a cold stiff breeze, great fun riding out with a tail wind, but it made me work on the way back. So after hardy riding for the last couple of weeks it was nice to get out and put some miles on, I past 4000 miles for the year today after seeming to hover just under it for several weeks.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not a particularly interesting ride home from work this morning, though much faster than on the way in last night thanks to a hefty tailwind. Of note, my Boardman CX Team has just passed the 4000 mile mark (4006 to be precise), and unlike Triggers broom, it's had only 1 new tyre and a chain.​

Top Bottom