Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Lovely walk today, with the added excitement of an acorn hitting me on the head when I was passing through Lings Woods (as reported in Mundane News earlier)
I had a library book to return, so included that in my route. Whilst there, I picked up a pasty for £1 as my half way snack.
The walk from the library, in the Weston Favell centre, to my panned destination is a bit boring, being alongside the A4500, but there's not really another direct route to get to Sywell Reservoir.

bphoto.jpg

I did head off the main road once I reached the Northampton Round footpath, but was shocked (:whistle:) to see the proximity of the electric fence to the gate, and the fact that it's kind of close to the metal gate latch!

aphoto.jpg

Even though it took me a while to get there, the pasty was still warm and definitely tasty!
Sywell Res is a non-cycling place, sadly, but it's a pleasant 3 mile circuit to walk with some lovely fishing to be done (My biggest catch was from here a few years ago. A 22lb pike)
My walk back was via one of my cycling and blackberry/elderberry/sloe collecting byways, Cut Throat Lane, towards home.

Untitled.png

A bit under 11 miles on this part of the walk, but after popping into home for a coffee and a phone call to the doctors, I did another 3 and a bit miles to pick up my 'Off the sick' certificate, making the total up for my 2nd half-marathon of the week..

:smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
2nd (and last) ride of our North Wales holiday (my legs won't be sorry to be back to much-flatter-Gloucestershire!).

Today's target was effectively to do a circuit of Snowdon. Avoiding the A-roads as much as we could added a bit more up, and my first short walk came as we ascended a small road out of Llanrug that was parellel to and south of the A4086 heading towards Llanberis. There was an arrowed bit (my legs don't like arrows...) that I managed, and got a nice cheery wave and a grin from the lady in the car behind who had patiently waited while I struggled to the top. But it wasnt the top - a flattish bit of road lulled me into a false sense of security and then there was another &*$£"$ bit with an arrow on it. Too soon after the last struggle.

Anyway, OH was waiting at the top so we had the first refuelling stop, with a view up the valley with sunbeams coming through the clouds (I only had my phone camera with me, which doesn't cope with that kind of lighting very well).

View attachment 146875

View attachment 146876

Then on along the little windy road, and eventually down into Llanberis. Would have been an even nicer bit if the council hadn't gritted the road relatively recently (but that rant should be in a different thread). I was a bit dubious about getting up Llanberis Pass, but although it went on a bit the gradient was never too steep. We had a headwind, but MrS is getting very good at going at my speed and letting me draft him - which must try his patience as he could get up the pass in half the time it takes me!

So next refuelling (and photo) stop at Pen y Pass.
View attachment 146877

Then the first real reward of the day - downhill to the Pen y Gwryd junction (almost having to pedal downhill into the wind at one point), then turning right down the road into Nantgwynant. This was lovely, with views of Snowdon and the hills beyond Beddgelert that, driving in the car, I don't usually have time to appreciate, so we didn't rush it. We were eventually aiming for a proper cafe stop in Beddgelert, but there is a little yellow road off to the left near the place where the Watkin path up Snowdon leaves the road.

This involved another couple of bits with arrows, but I managed these as the road only went up in installments, with enough flattish bits for a bit of a breather between the steep bits. Reward time again, as the road was mostly gently down through woodland and fields, with views of the surrounding mountains. But once again it would have been so much more enjoyable without the recent &&%$££$ gritting! But the grit did make us appreciate the lovely, beautifully smooth surface of the A4085 when we eventually joined it to go into Beddgelert.

View attachment 146878

The last leg started up the valley to Rhyd Ddu. This climbs, but very gently, and was only a struggle because my legs were tired. We turned left in Rhyd Ddu to go over the pass to Nantlle - the last col of the day.

View attachment 146879

Then the third reward - this time the long, mostly gentle, descent did NOT have loose gravel on it! :wahhey:Then a bit of meandering through the villages at the foot of the hills to get back to our holiday cottage. A good end to the week, and I gave myself a virtual pat on the back for getting up Llanberis Pass.

https://www.strava.com/activities/737200910
:bravo::becool::becool:

Day 13 Mediterranea

So the Stats from my Pyrenean Adventure you might ask (or maybe not). Well 689 miles and over 101,000 feet of climbing. But mostly some wonderful roads, views, food and encounters along the way. What's not to like?

Wow what a ride - and at this time of year - past the best of the weather. And 70% of the climbing I did last YEAR all in one go!

Btr Bicycle Handlebar Bike Bag
£ 9.99
I got it via Halfords web exclusive from BTR Direct ( not available as click and collect) a few weeks ago because my old one was worn out. It took a lot of research to find it but it's just the right size for the bits and pieces that I like to carry around with me, but a bit more fiddly to take on and off at cafe stops than my old one. I thought the flat top would be useful to see a mobile phone or some route directions but due to the shape of the stem it tilts away from me however much I tighten the straps.

I have a similar BTR bag, same problem with the straps, so I used a length of garden wire, the kind with the plastic coating, bent over the stem then coming up under the bag to give it some support. Not pretty but it doesn't really show, and it works.

13 rider

Guru
Got up late this morning and after a bit of dithering over what to wear summer so much easy to dress for .Today's target Oct 50 mile ride . Set off in long legging long sleeve top and winter base wear just right to start with but within a couple of miles I was sweating away perhaps over did the clothing . Went out on my favorite route out to St Bernards Abbey . On Charley road I caught three riders fairly quickly was going to sit in behind but I thought I'd go pass and just ride at my pace a mile later as I went to turn up Oaks in Charnwood climb I realised they were sitting on my wheel cheeky beggars so I hit the climb hard and one by one they got dropped :smile: As I waited for traffic at the junction the first rider caught me and said good effort :becool:quick chat as we wait for the others and they let me go no wheel sucking this time .Out to Diesworth ,Long Whaton ,Kegworth quick detour around a closed railway bridge on the way to Sutton Bonnington coming in to Normanton and another road closed ahead sign stopped to ask a local if I could get through on a bike and no another railway bridge completely closed ( @tallliman do you now this route is closed I now you commute that way ) so detour up Butt lane a long steady climb then right at the top and then right again and a nice descent back into Stanford on Soar .Through Cotes and Walton on the wolds and down to Barrow on soar ,Quorn ,Swithland ,Rothley ,Cropston and a extra loop around the village to get the miles in . Home with 51.3 miles in at 16 mph and 2179ft of climbing and for some reason my legs were shot .I really don't like riding in long tights always seems much harder work was properly sweaty over dressed for sure

gavgav

Guru
Up in Wales again for a few days with the bike. Decided to head over to Coed y Brenin this morning, for an explore and a go on the green route (Yr Afon) which is the only one that my hybrid bike will cope with at the centre!

Drove to the visitor centre, with bike in boot, but when I got there it was absolutely heaving, due to an event going on. I therefore looked at the map and dropped back down a couple of miles to Ty n y Groes Bach, where there is a quieter and free car park. Unloaded the bike and followed Route 82 for an uphill gravel track section that then joins the green route, after crossing the Afon Mawddach by bridge.

View from the bridge
IMG_0790.JPG

The first section was tarmacced, before branching off onto gravel forest tracks again. There were a couple of very steep sections, one of which I had to get off and walk up the last section, due to not being able to get traction with my tyres! There was a nice waterfall to look at as well.
IMG_0791.JPG

There was then a nice downhill section, but it was quite rocky and needed due care and attention. When descending I was stopped by a chap on bike and asked if I'd seen a young lad in red (his son) whom he'd become seperated from. I hadn't seen him, but said I'd keep a look out.

Not long after, I came across the lad climbing up the hill and stopped to say that his dad was ahead and looking for him, just as his dad came back down again behind me and all were reunited :smile:

I continued back to where I had parked the car, but decided to follow route 82 out onto the tarmac forest roads for a bit, with some good undulating terrain to enjoy.

After crossing a cattle grid and descending a little way towards Llanelltyd I came across a wonderful view towards Cader Idris. I detached the phone from the bike, pointed the camera and the ruddy phone shut itself off,saying the battery had run out :cursing:. It was showing 68% for goodness sake!! Wouldn't switch back on though and so no photo was taken and also meant Strava missed to record the last 2.5 miles of the ride!

Something very different for me today and very enjoyable. I will head back there again at some stage, but probably hire a mountain bike from the centre and do something a bit more technical.

11ish miles

gavgav

Guru
Day 13 Mediterranean

Today was an extra (and last) day as one had been planned to enable logistical issues to be sorted out. In the event the logistics had proved to be much simpler so I took the opportunity to ride to St Cyprien Plage for a dip in the Med. The ride was fairly uneventful although traffic at the coast could have been lighter and I could have done without the horrid head wind which had sprung up. Nevertheless I got a lovely swim in the sea. My second dip in the Med this year which must be a recent record. 29 miles with very little in the way of uphill. The wind replaced the climbing tho’.

So the Stats from my Pyrenean Adventure you might ask (or maybe not). Well 689 miles and over 101,000 feet of climbing. But mostly some wonderful roads, views, food and encounters along the way. What's not to like?
Been really enjoying your ride tales over the past 2 weeks. It's got me thinking about a cycling holiday over there!

Ducked out of the club ride as I was in one of those moods where I just wanted to ride solo.

Been feeling a bit many so was not sure what or how far I'd go so had a rough route in my head with a few get out routes if I wasn't feeling that great.

Headed out via Queen Adelaide were it started raining a bit but had my Sportful no rain finder kit on so was snug and dry anyway.Turned off at Prickwillow on to the long rd to Isleham and then off out to West Row.

This bit of road mad me wonder if I was in the Fens or Flanders:laugh:

IMG_20161008_093845299_HDR.jpg

Once at West Row a pic of the soon to close RAF Mildenhall(two tankers and a Herc resting);

IMG_20161008_095743359_HDR.jpg

Then headed back to Littleport and then North again along Ten Mile Bank and across before the Hundred foot and past the Welney bird site;no stop at the cafe and then the a1101 to Littleport and then on to Black Bank and another pic;

IMG_20161008_110458629_HDR.jpg

Then through the villages around Ely (passing Bob who I ride with occasionally) and then back to Ely via Haddenham and Wilburton.

Was a bit short of the Strava fondo so rode round the city 'til I was dizzy before stopping at the market for an Italian sourdough loaf and then home to scrape in at 117.7kms:smile:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/738076659

Not the quickest 100k but a nice steady one and most enjoyable despite the dreary weather.

So 100k and Strava fondo ticked off for the month and 9,500kms for the year so a happy bunny today.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another Friday evening of circuit training and yoga meant I had tired legs this morning. After a couple of hours DIY then putting new tyres on my Spa tourer I was ready to go out. Intermittent rain had come and gone, so the roads were damp and it was a bit blustery so I had leg warmers and my winter boots on, my feet were like toast!
Up and over the hill at Elsworth and on to Hilton and Graveley, the sky still looking glum
IMG_1105.JPG

On through Croxton and back through The Gransdens.
Once back in Bourn the sun started to come out, coming over the A428 bridge was brighter than the outward leg!
IMG_1107.JPG

Just a touch over 30 miles, a busy old day

https://www.strava.com/activities/738199993

@13 rider, thanks! Both the bridge at Kegworth station and between Normanton on Soar and Stanford Upon Soar had footpaths open on Thursday so I'd be surprised if they were completely shut.

Have they opened that strange construction by Kegworth station now?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've been feeling knackered all week and despite setting the alarm early today to get out for a ride, I very nearly switched it off when it went off this morning.

Anyhow, eventually got myself in gear and out of the door, with a vague plan to head in the rough direction of Otley.
Up Coal Road, then Red Hall Lane, a quick run down the A58 to the Wellington pub and onto Whin Moor Lane for the quiet country lanes to Shadwell.
I was in two minds here to carry on as planned, or turn right down the hill towards Thorner. Fortunately I turned left (as planned) as I think if I'd headed the other way I might had a much shorter ride.
Up to Slaid Hill lights, then onto Wigton Lane, which seemed oddly busy. A bit further on I found out why - Yorkshire Water have got half the road dug up with temporary traffic lights. Stopped for a welcome breather at the red light and then led the cars through when it eventually went green.
Across the A61 at Alwoodley Gates and the climb up Alwoodley Lane all the way to King Lane, then down the hill past the golf course before turning towards Eccup at Five Lane Ends.
More climbing up to the New Inn, then it was time to rap the rewards on the descent into Weardly. Unfortunately although it was dry the road was still a bit too damp from overnight to give it the full beans down the hill but I still managed to break 35mph.
Took 5 mins at the bottom of the hill for a drink before getting onto the A659 along the Wharfe Valley. This is a narrow and busy road, but I've never felt particularly stressed using it, even with the odd seemingly obligatory close pass. Through Arthington and on to Pool-in-Wharfedale, then carried on towards Otley.
I had started out with half a mind to cross the river and then retrace my route on the northern bank via Castley, Weeton, Kearby Cliff and Sicklinghall to Wetherby, but my legs really weren't in the mood for those climbs today.
Stopped in Otley for a couple of pork pies from Weegmans (more on this later).
IMG_20161008_095429627_HDR.jpg

Before heading through the town centre and starting the climb up to the A660 and along the side of the Chevin to the Dyneley Arms.
Remember a couple of lines further up I mentioned that my legs hadn't been fancying a load of climbing? Well this route is 3 miles of constant ascent and I knew it would have to be done so I just got stuck in - and the funny thing is it wasn't too bad. For the first time I did the complete ascent on the big cog at the front and set a PB, taking a full minute of my previous best and averaging over 13 mph. Probably not the greatest achievement in the world of cycling this weekend, but I was quite happy with that! :okay:
Once through the traffic lights there is a slight rise then a nice long mile and a bit of gentle downhill all the way to the roundabout and Kings Road, which climbs up again - and I set another PB up there.:laugh:
From there it was right and down the hill past Golden Acre Park, left up to Five Lane Ends and then retracing my outbound route all the way back through Alwoodley and Shadwell, with a slightly different route down from Coal Road and a loop around the block to push the mileage on before home.

31.64 miles (50.92 km) in 2hrs 6m at an average of 15.0 mph with 1,483 ft climbed. So that's my qualifying ride in for this months half century challenge and a ride that I eventually started enjoying about half way round. Not sure what is up with my legs at the moment, but they need to have a word with themselves...;) Although those numbers probably look like a slight improvement on what I'd normally expect on this circuit, so maybe it's all in my head? :tired:

Lots of cyclists out today which is good, despite the distinctly autumnal feel to the weather. Sadly the Weegmans pork pies were not up to the usual standard - a problem with consistency that we've encountered before. :sad:

08102016.JPG

On a less happy note there were a lot of poor drivers out there, I think I averaged at least one numpty a mile today, either pulling out of junctions, MGIF or close passes. Unsurprisingly, Audi seemed to figure disproportionately...

13 rider

Guru
@13 rider, thanks! Both the bridge at Kegworth station and between Normanton on Soar and Stanford Upon Soar had footpaths open on Thursday so I'd be surprised if they were completely shut.

Have they opened that strange construction by Kegworth station now?
The local was pretty sure it was completely shut at Normanton but mention a possible temp footbridge being put in I went round the Kegworth one via Kingston not to bad of a detour but Butt lane was a shock to my legs then the A6006 :eek: traffic was flying along

Butt Lane is quite a nice little climb up to the top of the ridge. Always longer than I remember it though!

A6006 is best avoided most days of the week tbh....too many people driving too quickly!

Top Bottom