Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/7...-4484-85DC-2BF217238E6D?hl=en-GB&v=1475945817

102 miles down to Bournemouth and back today, for this month's imperial ton ride.

IMG_3393.JPG

The back of my bike looked like the Incredible Hulk had been having a go on it when I reached the halfway point at Bournemouth. It turned out to be a slime tube 'activation ' the slime did its thing, and I got all the way back ( 50 miles ) with no real loss of pressure.

IMG_3395.JPG

Just under half way, time for a beer.

IMG_3396.JPG

A vintage tea rooms in Boscombe.

I was burning a ridiculous amount of calories, so I needed a reasonable feed, or I feared I was destined for the back of an ambulance ( again ):eek:.

IMG_3398.JPG

That should do it.

IMG_3404.JPG

The figure on the bottom right was the calorie burn ( 5389 with 10 miles to go:eek:) I was really starting to feel very odd, so I stuffed a load of jelly babies in my gob, and had a pint. That's better:laugh:.

IMG_3405.JPG

I stopped and took a photo as I hit the ton, within site of my final destination, so it nearly worked out perfectly:becool:. I only had another mile or so to go, so I made it back.

It wasn't the longest ride I've done, by a margin, but the weather turning absolutely awful for the last 20 miles, and the intensity on the climbs, really took it out of me today. It ended up being about 5900 calories burned ( using a HRM, to try and improve the guess work ). A good ride all in all, despite the p*ncture fairy's best efforts, and the lack of anything approaching an accurate weather forecast. Two more imperial tons to go, for this year's challenge ( I'm sort of sure I did it last year, but I wasn't 100% about last April's imperial ride).:thumbsup:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
10.2 miles today, charming weather . There were a group of cyclists at the head of the trail, probably heading into town to seek the Motel 6 or something. Not conversationalists. Parts of my trail were torn up by some sort of water and sewer construction that also got gravel into the road where I was riding for about a quarter mile or so.
64F
18C
Winds NW9
Relative humidity 46%
Barometer 30.26 steady in the glass.
Fair, with gravel.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
38.7 miles on our club ride today, apparently. I say apparently, because my own trip computer finally gave up the ghost today, and I had to ask @Frazzle how many miles we'd done and adjust it to include my 3 miles to and from the start/finish. I don't like not knowing how far I've gone, but I really hate not knowing how fast (or in my case, slow) I'm going.

Anyway, it was a terrific route done in good company (seven of us) and in fine sunny weather. Gotta love high pressure weather systems. Headed out through Stroud and up a tough little climb I'd never done before, past the hospital and on up through Bisley to Cranham. Thankfully, when we got there we didn't have to do the dreaded "Cranham Wall", but took a turning onto a common that I'd never ridden before. Great views and a nice quiet lane to Sheepscombe, where we did have a beast of a climb back out of the village. Then, no sooner had we made our way up into the upper reaches of the Slad Valley than we immediately dropped back down into the Painswick Valley, with fantastic picture postcard views of Painswick to our right. Once we got back to the main A road in Stroud, we pulled over at an old mill building to chill out over coffee and cakes in a very decent little cafe.

One final big climb after that, up and over the back of Horsepools Hill from Pitchcombe to Edge, before cruising back to Kingsway and home. Three decent hills today and some beautiful lanes. Great ride.

Cheers, Donger.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We've been out on the tandem today. It was fairly chilly, but we were still in shorts. Jo went for overshoes as well.
The first part of the ride was the reverse of yesterday's return home, but after Little Gransden we went to Longstowe. Then we went down the A1198 to Old Wimpole, not been in this direction for ages.
At our turn there were 'road closed' signs.... so we ignored them! It turned out to be a half marathon and a 5k run. They were using about half a mile of road. We spoke to the marshal. Jo said we'd walk it (I had other thoughts). Once out of his view she hopped on the back and we took it very sedately through the runners.
We stopped in Wimpole for a brew. The overflow car park had overflowed. There were folk everywhere. We managed to get a table outside. I was asked if we were halving the cakes? I wouldn't normally, but I agreed. It's good to share...

We had a bit of tiffin and some coffee cake
IMG_1109.JPG

The sharing was so enjoyable that we included the locals too...
IMG_1111.JPG

Mr chaffinch was brave enough to get it, but his gaggle of girls just couldn't pluck up the courage. The tandem was on the other side of the Box hedge. A Robin sat on my near side handlebar ans watched proceedings.

Then we had a light shower, so we stood under a tree for 5 minutes.

Off again and on to Orwell. The icy wind picked up and a shower fell on us. By the time we reached Barrington it had stopped. We've never been over Barrington Hill on the tandem, we've done Chapel Hill from Haslingfield, which is the other side of the hill. Today's way is longer, but less steep. My Garmin read 10%, almost flat then!

Up through Barton and up Long Road, the steeper hill with less wind being our chosen choice. If we'd have carried on to Toft it would have been straight into a headwind, but on Long Road the land shelters you for most of it.

This brought us back to Hardwick past the shop..... just one lone car parked on the opposite side of the road. An old bloke in a Honda Jazz tried to overtake us from behind before the car. I was already in a good primary position, but that didn't deter the silly old bugger. I swerved out to the white line and held him off. He followed us in to our road, then tried to overtake us whilst a car was oncoming. He then turned off. I contemplated following and giving him a good roasting, but he was old enough to have a heart attack. I could just see the newspaper headline...

'Hardwick cyclist scares aged motorist to death in road rage incident'

So I left it.

31 and a bit miles. Nice cake and a bit of excitement at the end!

https://www.strava.com/activities/739240443

gavgav

Guru
Second ride of my trip to wales and back along what is fast becoming my favourite ride, with a bit of exploring to extend it slightly.

Cold today and needed 3 layers for the first time since the Winter. Out from the caravan and down the main road to Llanaber, with a very close pass and cut up from a stupid old bat who could hardly see over the steering wheel. She had a volley from me, as it was downright dangerous :thumbsdown:. Thankfully that was the only one of the ride.

Dropped down into Barmouth and along the sea front, before a short climb out of the town and then bumped my way across Barmouth Bridge. The bridge caught fire during the week and is closed to trains at the moment. Couldn't see any evidence of the fire though.

I then joined the brilliant off road path up the Mawddach Trail, which was fairly quiet today and so I could make good progress without having to dodge too many walkers. Did have a funny moment where I passed a lady with a dog and then about 30 seconds later I could hear the patter of paws alongside me, as the dog had chased me down :laugh:. He looked rather put out when I stopped and allowed the owner to call him back.

Arrived in dolgellau, where the sun had come from behind the clouds to add some welcome warmth as I sat and ate my lunch in my usual spot by the sports fields.

Through the town and then up the steep Bondaleb climb towards Cader Idris, along which they've been surface dressing which wasn't ideal. Knocked 30 seconds off my previous best time on the Strava segment though.^_^

I decided to go on past my usual turn off point and do some exploring, as route 82 heads off along a track that goes over the mountains. It quickly became clear that it was far too rough a path for my hybrid and I slithered back down it, struggling to stay on in places :surrender:

Lovely scenery though
IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

I did also pass this very old cottage, that wouldn't give much shelter against the harsh winter weather up there !
IMG_0793.JPG

I doubled back and up to the beautiful Cregennan Lakes, but didn't stop for long, as with the cold easterly breeze blowing across them it was :cold:

Next was the brilliant 800ft in a mile descent to Arthog and back along the Mawddach Trail to the bridge, which was now heaving with walkers and cyclists and made it a slow weave along to Barmouth.

Re-traced my steps back to the caravan and clocked 35.3 miles with 2200 ft of climbing

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Still waiting on my replacement shifter from Shimano to get the road bike back out, so I was unable to join my local social group ride. Well, I could have theoretically, but I'm not doing 40 miles on a sloppily maintained hybrid that weights a ton ta. I'm not a masochist.

No matter, instead I cycled the two miles into town on the Trek for a potter about, bit of shopping, and a call in to the Half Moon for a couple of pints of Youngs Special.

Distance: 5 miles
Pace: 2.5 miles per hour, including the drinks stop.

20161009_151915.jpg

20161009_152357.jpg

54 miles the journey, Hatton Locks the destination. My usual Thursday loop with a twist, I did the ride on my fixed, the first time I've used the fixed on this route since the spring and the first ride on the Flyer since I put the short cranks and little gear on it, 165 cranks and a sixty four and a half inch gear gives me twenty mph max on the flat and thirty- thirty five comfortably on a descent, over that it starts to get too spinny. I was having fun until about twenty miles from home when I ran out of legs, I'm still recovering from last weeks man flu, nose still blocked, tinnitus and a slight cough, so perhaps todays ride was a bit too much too soon, the last six miles across Coventry was hard, by the time I got onto Beake avenue I just wanted to get off the bike. But it was a lovely day for a bike ride, bright sunny, fresh with a cold stiff breeze, great fun riding out with a tail wind, but it made me work on the way back. So after hardy riding for the last couple of weeks it was nice to get out and put some miles on, I past 4000 miles for the year today after seeming to hover just under it for several weeks.
Had my jab yesterday so hopefully no man flu for me. Fingers crossed.

colly

Re member eR
Lovely day so took myself off to Otley to see a mate.
In trouble with Mrs Colly because I said 'only a short ride, we can have breakfast when I get in'. So naturally I completely forgot all about that and after a coffee and some gab with my pal Ididn't get in until about 1pm. Mrs Colly likes her Sunday breakfast so it was the dog house for me. Ah well.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/11437103

Nice-Ish ride to the Five Miles From Anyware-No Hurry Inn for a pint and chips with the better half on her MTB.

Forecast was a bit out(Sky and met Office) so got caught in a couple of showers despite it saying it wasn't going to rain.

Still,a nice little bible and the pint(Humpty Dumpty) and chips was good.

Tiny pics!(linked from instagram)

media?size=t.jpg
media?size=t.jpg
media?size=t.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another short ride today as Mrs ND gets her cycling mojo back.

Back streets and off road down to Manston Lane, then through the farm and out on the bridleway to the M1 underpass where we stopped for a drink in the lovely sunshine, while a group from the riding school rode by. Then back on and retraced our steps to the farm and took the bridleway up Barnbow Lane and Bog Lane, popping out in Scholes by the Coronation Tree. Quick scoot up Main Street and then off road again down Wood Lane, before crossing the beck and back on road for the last bit up home, calling in at the Co-op for the Sunday papers and cake on the way past.

Just 7.2 miles, but a good ride out in lovely weather - glorious sunshine, if a little chilly. And Mrs ND is really enjoying getting out on the bike and her confidence is growing each time we go out, so all is good in the world.:okay:

Map here, photo to follow if I remember to get it off my phone.
09102016.JPG

IMG_20161009_103803306_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Surlydave

Über Member
A lovely ride in the Autumn sunshine around north Suffolk, with approx 7 members of
Suffolk Ctc. The forecast implied showers, and in some places the roads were quite wet,
but we managed to avoid all the showers. Sorry about the lack of photos, too busy chatting.
11s at Thornham forge tea rooms, lunch at Angel cafe Diss, and a quick tea stop at Stonham Barns
on the way home.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/8035690

The Bystander

Über Member
Today was my second 50km of the month. Having completed my first metric half century last month I’ve sort of promised myself that, if I can complete a few more before the end of this year, I might commit to the half century challenge next year.

sibb_brix_50kn_map1.png

My first challenge of this ride was to get up out of the valley north of Harrington. I’ve ridden it once before but had to stop to “admire the view” when it kicked up to 10%. I made it all the way in one go this time.

Once I was certain that I wasn’t going to need an ambulance I continued West to Sibbertoft where I turned South to head to Brixworth via Naseby, Haselbech and Cottesbrooke.

On the approach to Brixworth I cruised smugly past a couple who had just joined the road from the Brampton Valley Way and soon after I hit the Brixworth Climb (ave 4%, max >10%). I wasn’t prepared for the climb but I was preparing myself for a large helping of humble pie as the couple I’d passed started gaining on me. I think one of them just about had my wheel but I think he stopped just short of making the pass. I was close to stopping too and would have traded my soul for a few more teeth on my cassette, but I made it.

From Brixworth it was home via Scaldwell and Old for 52.3km with 1,640ft climbing.

That’s 3 metric halves for the year and two climbs completed that not so long ago I would have regarded as impossible.
sibb_brix_50km_ele.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

62 miles the journey, Whilton Locks the destination. A lovely day for a bike ride, bright sunny and a tad cool, the only spoiler was the breeze, gentle at first but getting stronger as the ride went on, and it didn't seem to matter which way I was cycling I was cycling into it. I'm still recovering from the man flu, the after effects just seem to just keep hanging around, so it was a hard slow ride and I was running out of legs as I crossed Coventry. The route out was similar to the route to the Heart of the shires, just that when I got to the cross roads before Norton I turned left and picked up the A5 for a short way then turned left for Whilton Locks.
On the way back I turned right onto the A5 then left and right onto the road through Welton and onto the water tower at Barby where I turned left and crossed the A45 then across Grandborough and left onto the main road, then right through Hill, Birdingbury and onto Marton where I turned right onto the Banbury road and onto Princethorpe where I turned right and onto the Fosseway, crossed the A45 again and into Wolston then into Coventry past the speedway and my regular route across coventry and home. Another good morning out on my bike, I just can't wait for my chest to clear so I can start enjoying my cycling again. The other thing of note was that this was the first time in two and a half years that I was using clipless.

ridewithgps]11438294
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/11438294

Sunday Whilton Locks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom