Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Those pics of the Wye Valley bring back some memories - did several brownie and guide camps near Llandogo back in the day... :okay:

Memories stirring here too. Both Bicknors, MitchelDean and many other spots on that map were well known parts of my younger days. Mynydd Bach fooled me for years, it was what an aunt called the hill outside her back garden. Which led me to think Welsh did not have a word for hill . . .

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Did my birthday ride Saturday, We set of to do 65 miles, one miles for every year, Did a route i have not done for a while and managed to miss a turning, ended up on a busy stretch of the A414, was only for a couple of miles before we found a turn off, weather started a bit murky but it did brighten up on the way back, by the time we got back to the pub the sun was out. great ride with a great bunch of guys and girls.
https://www.strava.com/activities/855041877#kudos

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got my Imperial Century in for February yesterday.^_^

Things didn't start off quite as hoped: I woke up with that telltale little tickle in the thoat that signifies a cold coming on, then looked out to see frost on the cars which, after overnight rain, was not good news. Going outside to look closer there wasn't a frost on the ground though so I took a chance and headed out on normal tyres.

I was heading for Ludlow this time but know that it needs some extra miles added to be sure of the hundred so went north into Shrewsbury and through The Quarry, then out through Uffington and Atcham to give me that extra bit.

I kept off the cyclepaths and mainly to roads that I knew would have been gritted initially which turned out to be a good move as one of the quieter roads was icy. I therefore cut out the planned section through Upton Magna and stayed on the main roads as far as Cressage.

After Cressage I had no alternative but to head onto the lanes and straight away found them very icy. The next 10 or 12 miles were taken very gingerly as the wheels were wanting to kick out to the side occasionally and I was losing traction on the climbs. Really wished at this point that I'd changed to studded tyres.

Fortunately the climb over Wenlock Edge at Longville was sheltered from the frost but the descent the other side was still a little dicey. I had a little wildlife encounter on the climb: I'd stopped to take a photo and just slipped the phone back in my pocket when turning round I found a white deer stood in the middle of the road staring at me. After a moment wondering if it was real :blink: I decided to see if I could get a photo but it ran off the moment I reached for the pocket.

After passing the village of Peaton I found the ice was finally starting to melt and I could press on a bit (still carefully). I'd got a little chilled from going so slowly and the legs felt lethargic but that eased on the way to Ludlow. A new issue arose though which was riding directly into the sun on wet roads...... Quite dazzling for a while.

From Ludlow I tried a new route, heading south through Richards Castle (a bit more undulating than I anticipated from the map:heat:) and west to Mortimer's Cross where I encountered a collie that took a dislike to me and stood in the middle of the A4110 junction, baying furiously and brought all the traffic to a halt.:giggle:

I now had the wind behind me and a reasonably flat road (but not well maintained), so was able to make better progress through Wigmore and up to Leintwardine where the terrible state of Herefordshire's roads was finally too much for one of my rear lights which sheared off when I hit a pothole.:sad:

The rest of the route was back onto familiar roads to Bishop's Castle (saw a Red Kite), Montgomery, Worthen, Westbury and thanks to the extra mileage south of Ludlow I was able to head home a fairly direct way through Stoney Stretton, Exfords Green and over Lyth Hill.

106.4 miles for the day at 12.4 mph moving average. With stops though it was 10 hours 10 minutes and I felt completely wrecked at the end. Feeling stuffed up with that cold now and attempting to drown it with tea.;)

DSC0004287.jpg

Down at Theatre Severn early on.

DSC0004291.jpg

Looking at the Wrekin as the sun is about to come up.

DSC0004294.jpg

On the tricky bit en-route to Longville. A classic example of black ice - the road looks wet but is actually frozen.

DSC0004295.jpg

Looking along Wenlock Edge towards the Stretton Hills. It was moments after taking this I had the encounter with the white deer.

DSC0004297.jpg

Can I have a house like this please?^_^

DSC0004302.jpg

Looking back at Ludlow from Ludford as I head south onto new ground.

DSC0004303.jpg

The Riverside pub at Aymestry.

DSC0004304.jpg

Wigmore. John Challis (Boycie from Only Fools & Horses) lives somewhere round here.

DSC0004305.jpg

A pause to have a bite to eat at Kempton.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Memories stirring here too. Both Bicknors, MitchelDean and many other spots on that map were well known parts of my younger days. Mynydd Bach fooled me for years, it was what an aunt called the hill outside her back garden. Which led me to think Welsh did not have a word for hill . . .
Did you know that the Bicknors are now separated, the footpath which uses the old railway bridge having been deemed unsafe. I don't know what the long term plan is, but it can't be helping the Youth Hostel :sad:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another good club ride today, totalling 32 miles for me. Five of us set off in the "Chilled Group" ... Lisa, both Matts, "Dufflebag Dave" and me. We left Gloucester in the direction of Upton St Leonards. It was a nice group I was with today. They waited for me to grind my way up Nut Hill and up in to Cranham in the fog. We passed Prinknash Abbey and rode through the lovely village of Painswick, then down into Stroud, where we waited for our nervous descender to catch up. Then off down some country lanes through Stanley Downton, Frocester and Eastington before hitting the A38 at Whitminster for the return leg. That turned into a bit of a sprint, and a couple of the others started to tire and get strung out, so I pulled over to wait for them.

By the end, four of the five of us had struggled at one point or another (hills, descending or sprinting) but someone always stuck with the last guy and we got through all the traffic lights and roundabouts as a group and all finished together. Lisa could not believe my hands were not cold, as I'd been the only one wearing fingerless gloves. I have always maintained that all those Watts have got to go somewhere, and in my case they are not always translated into forward motion - hence my radiator fingers! I was toasty. A good ride, noteable for being my first dry one of the year.
Cheers, Donger.

Old jon

Guru
Did you know that the Bicknors are now separated, the footpath which uses the old railway bridge having been deemed unsafe. I don't know what the long term plan is, but it can't be helping the Youth Hostel :sad:

Hmm, have I got the right hostel? Yes, I think so. The first time I went to the hostel the only ( short ) way to the pub, I think I was 14 but don't tell anyone, was across a pipeline of some description that spanned the river. I fell off once, but was much more cautious after that.

13 rider

Guru
After yesterday's Imperial ton I wasn't sure wether to ride today but last night got a text for Andy "do you fancy a ride tomorrow" well it would be rude not too and Andy is slower than me so it would be nice and relaxed for me. Meeting time and place arranged , late start due to his lads football match . So formed a plan to get 50 km in. Up at a relaxed 0900 Pottered about untill 1200 and out the door for a few miles before meet up .Around the local villages to get to Mountsorrel 5 miles away which I managed to turn into 13 miles . Got to meeting point early so did a couple of hill reps up to Mountsorrel memorial .Did a nice flatish route to Quorn ,Woodhouse ,Swithland ,Rothley ,Cossington and Sileby to Andy house . Quick coffee and 8 miles from home 11 required for the 50 km . Extended route home back to Mountsorrel another loop up around the memorial and home via Rothley ,Cropston and Anstey . 32.5 miles in the February metric half century also in the bag . Bit more chilly today compared to yesterday and missing the sunshine

Dark46

Veteran
This is a bit late but this is my ride from Wednesday night.
@Frazzle called for me and we rode to the Farmers Club in Gloucester and on the way encountered a Ambulance in the road attending a knocked off cyclist. Appearently the cyclist had been riding with no lights or reflective clothing.

The ride was my first using my new mudgaurds and rear light. As usual @Frazzle was moaning about my Castelli long fingered gloves smelling as usual. It doesnt matter what I soak them with or leave them to soak by the end of the ride they do hum.

The ride took us out to Churchdown,Staverton,Stoke Orchard and out on to the A38 and back through Norton and into Gloucester. We were in a group of about 10 people but as we got to Staverton I noticed my garmin wasnt working and I tried to restart it . But it took a while and because I was concentrating on trying to restart it I got left behind. a few peeps waited for me and I got in the middle while we caught the others up.section for me was the wind on the way back down the A38. I always struggle in headwinds.

I didnt realise back at the club while sipping my pint I was stood under a sign which said "Bullshit Corner" Well @Frazzle tried to take a photo of me under the sign but because Im not the tallest person in the world he couldnt manage it lol

So looking at my Strava the ride was in 3 parts. One part is about 3 miles the second 6 miles and the last section is 20 miles.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

57 miles the journey, Lighthorne the destination, my longest ride since my November heart attack. A ride that included a silly navigation error and two changes of mind. On the way out I got to the top of Queensland avenue needing to go straight on, a little while later, half way round malfunction junction, I realised I'd turned right and was following my usual route to Hatton, :wacko: I turned left and rode down the A45 then turned right on the leamington road island and on into Baginton. In Baginton I took the right fork instead of the left to take me through Cubbington and Offchurch then picked up my usual route past Harbury and down the private farm road to Chesterton, turning right into the lane that takes you up over the motorway and across the Gaydon road and headed for Lighthorne, I then remembered the new Cafe on that road that I hadn't used yet and decided to make it my stop, I was originally going to stop at the Charlecote Garden Store by Charlecote House. After my stop I continued through Lighthorne Wellesbourne and past Charlecote house then turned left to cross the A46 and onto Norton Lindsey where I picked up one of my regular routes into Coventry and home. A lovely day for a bike ride, cloudy but not too cold with just a light breeze. I seriously run out of legs about five miles from home and was running on empty as I crossed Coventry heading home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I got my Imperial Century in for February yesterday.^_^

Things didn't start off quite as hoped: I woke up with that telltale little tickle in the thoat that signifies a cold coming on, then looked out to see frost on the cars which, after overnight rain, was not good news. Going outside to look closer there wasn't a frost on the ground though so I took a chance and headed out on normal tyres.

I was heading for Ludlow this time but know that it needs some extra miles added to be sure of the hundred so went north into Shrewsbury and through The Quarry, then out through Uffington and Atcham to give me that extra bit.

I kept off the cyclepaths and mainly to roads that I knew would have been gritted initially which turned out to be a good move as one of the quieter roads was icy. I therefore cut out the planned section through Upton Magna and stayed on the main roads as far as Cressage.

After Cressage I had no alternative but to head onto the lanes and straight away found them very icy. The next 10 or 12 miles were taken very gingerly as the wheels were wanting to kick out to the side occasionally and I was losing traction on the climbs. Really wished at this point that I'd changed to studded tyres.

Fortunately the climb over Wenlock Edge at Longville was sheltered from the frost but the descent the other side was still a little dicey. I had a little wildlife encounter on the climb: I'd stopped to take a photo and just slipped the phone back in my pocket when turning round I found a white deer stood in the middle of the road staring at me. After a moment wondering if it was real :blink: I decided to see if I could get a photo but it ran off the moment I reached for the pocket.

After passing the village of Peaton I found the ice was finally starting to melt and I could press on a bit (still carefully). I'd got a little chilled from going so slowly and the legs felt lethargic but that eased on the way to Ludlow. A new issue arose though which was riding directly into the sun on wet roads...... Quite dazzling for a while.

From Ludlow I tried a new route, heading south through Richards Castle (a bit more undulating than I anticipated from the map:heat:) and west to Mortimer's Cross where I encountered a collie that took a dislike to me and stood in the middle of the A4110 junction, baying furiously and brought all the traffic to a halt.:giggle:

I now had the wind behind me and a reasonably flat road (but not well maintained), so was able to make better progress through Wigmore and up to Leintwardine where the terrible state of Herefordshire's roads was finally too much for one of my rear lights which sheared off when I hit a pothole.:sad:

The rest of the route was back onto familiar roads to Bishop's Castle (saw a Red Kite), Montgomery, Worthen, Westbury and thanks to the extra mileage south of Ludlow I was able to head home a fairly direct way through Stoney Stretton, Exfords Green and over Lyth Hill.

106.4 miles for the day at 12.4 mph moving average. With stops though it was 10 hours 10 minutes and I felt completely wrecked at the end. Feeling stuffed up with that cold now and attempting to drown it with tea.;)

View attachment 336264
Down at Theatre Severn early on.

View attachment 336267
Looking at the Wrekin as the sun is about to come up.

View attachment 336268
On the tricky bit en-route to Longville. A classic example of black ice - the road looks wet but is actually frozen.

View attachment 336269
Looking along Wenlock Edge towards the Stretton Hills. It was moments after taking this I had the encounter with the white deer.

View attachment 336270
Can I have a house like this please?^_^

View attachment 336271
Looking back at Ludlow from Ludford as I head south onto new ground.

View attachment 336272
The Riverside pub at Aymestry.

View attachment 336273
Wigmore. John Challis (Boycie from Only Fools & Horses) lives somewhere round here.

View attachment 336274
A pause to have a bite to eat at Kempton.

Excellent effort to do 100 miles+ in February, particularly on your own.

gavgav

Guru
Got my February half century challenge ride in the bag today, with one of the hilliest rides I've done for many months, including some territory that I've only ridden once before.

Woke up at 8am, to find a thick frost and fog outside, so went back to bed and decided on a later start at 11:30.

Very cold out there today, but some lovely winter sunshine as I set off down to Meole Brace and the first hazard of the ride, having to plough through mud that was a couple of inches deep in the underpass, due to the river having been out of its banks this week. Just about avoided coming off the bike and went through Meole Village, before taking the busier road to Hook a Gate and Annscroft.

I turned off and headed up to Plealey, being met by loads of groups of riders who were racing in an event of some sort. At Plealey i began the first big climb of the day, up to Oaks, where at the top I paused to enjoy the fabulous views over the Shropshire hills.

I then turned onto the roads I'd not travelled on for a couple of years, with a steep climb up the first of what would be many gradient arrow standard hills today, but a nice descent into Habberley. I had to pause on the descent for a DPD van that appeared lost, and was doing a 3 point turn in the road. I caught him up in Habberley, where he'd found his delivery destination and he then caught me up on the road towards Shoot, but waited patiently and gave me lots of room when he passed :okay:

There are some lovely views of forestry commission land along here, including the mountain bikers paradise of Eastridge Woods and also Huglith, where I paused for some lunch.

There was more serious climbing next, up Cothercott Hill, firstly on the narrow hairpin bends and then out onto the main road. I reached the top of the hill and enjoyed the long fast descent, which is where I hit my top speed on a bike last time (44.3 mph) but it was a warm summers day then and in the cold winter air I could only manage (37.8 mph) still good fun though ^_^.

I turned off and started more climbing up to Wilderley, on lovely smooth resurfaced tarmac, enjoying amazing views of mist and fog below me in the valley, then turned up Pease Lane for the real hard climbing towards The Longmynd. Two more gradient arrows up here, passing through Picklescott and I was pretty glad to reach the crossroads, where I turned towards Woolstaston, cruising down the long descent on more smooth newly resurfaced roads.

I turned off, just before Leebotwood and yet more climbing up to Walkmills and Smethcote, before the long descent towards Dorrington and the end of the main climbing for the day.

I turned off, just before Dorrington and braved a short section of the A49, to enable me to head into Stapleton and see dad for half an hour.

The legs had seized up a bit and it was a hard and cold journey home from there, through Condover and along Lyons Lane, which has been turned into a right messy mud bath, by all the traffic that has been using it as a shortcut to avoid the lengthy delays through the roadworks on the A49:thumbsdown:

From Betton abbots I followed the road to the A458 junction and then bumped my way along the road home, where the speed limit has been reduced to 30 mph, from 50 mph and mountainous speed humps been put in place, which should hopefully make it a more pleasant road for cycling on.

33.9 miles with 2300ft of climbing.

Top Bottom