Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Osprey

Guru
Hard frost this morning. Light wind but overcast and gloomy. Set off alongside the estuary salt marsh lanes before warming up on the 14% climb through Llanridian. More mud strewn icy lanes to Llanmadoc before another warming 15% climb out of the village. A gentle run through more muddy lanes before emerging at Rhossili with its magnificent vies of the bay. A quick banana stop before retracing my steps then picking up the South Gower road and looping home. 37 miles and the first half metric century in the bag for February.

upload_2017-2-5_17-40-42.png

colly

Re member eR
Mid afternoon and I finally got some work I had on finished. Two options flop down on the sofa and open a bottle of red and drift easily into a relaxed evening. Or get my stuff on and nip out for a ride before starting in on the first option.

So I set off just after 3pm. Not cold but decidedly cool I thought I would make it an hour or so just to blow the cobwebs off.
Moortown, Shadwell Slaid Hill, Alwoodley, around the north of Eccup Reservoir, back onto Harrogate Road and I followed that all the way down into Chapletown Road and then back up to Oakwood through Harehills.
17.7 miles of red wine preparation.:okay:

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/12854419

https://www.relive.cc/view/856245798

We rode down to Beaulieu and out into the New Forest for 71 miles on a training ride for the saints foundation big bike ride on the 20th and 21st May. I'm one of the British Cycling 'Ride captains' on this effort. We had a lot of riders, most of whom seemed to have copped for a mechanical issue of one sort or another during the ride. Oh well, such is life. A nice day for it again though

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.1 miles this day, and I actually saw a couple of other cyclists, otherwise it was all dog walkers. Still pretty cool here, but warming a bit.
Beautiful sunny weather, but more wind than was forecast.
42F,6C
Wind NW6 (Jah, sure. Weather Service, you don't need to tell lies to get people to like you.)
52% relative humidity
Barometer 30.07
Sunny, with a few clouds.

galaxy

Veteran
I got my Imperial Century in for February yesterday.^_^

Things didn't start off quite as hoped: I woke up with that telltale little tickle in the thoat that signifies a cold coming on, then looked out to see frost on the cars which, after overnight rain, was not good news. Going outside to look closer there wasn't a frost on the ground though so I took a chance and headed out on normal tyres.

I was heading for Ludlow this time but know that it needs some extra miles added to be sure of the hundred so went north into Shrewsbury and through The Quarry, then out through Uffington and Atcham to give me that extra bit.

I kept off the cyclepaths and mainly to roads that I knew would have been gritted initially which turned out to be a good move as one of the quieter roads was icy. I therefore cut out the planned section through Upton Magna and stayed on the main roads as far as Cressage.

After Cressage I had no alternative but to head onto the lanes and straight away found them very icy. The next 10 or 12 miles were taken very gingerly as the wheels were wanting to kick out to the side occasionally and I was losing traction on the climbs. Really wished at this point that I'd changed to studded tyres.

Fortunately the climb over Wenlock Edge at Longville was sheltered from the frost but the descent the other side was still a little dicey. I had a little wildlife encounter on the climb: I'd stopped to take a photo and just slipped the phone back in my pocket when turning round I found a white deer stood in the middle of the road staring at me. After a moment wondering if it was real :blink: I decided to see if I could get a photo but it ran off the moment I reached for the pocket.

After passing the village of Peaton I found the ice was finally starting to melt and I could press on a bit (still carefully). I'd got a little chilled from going so slowly and the legs felt lethargic but that eased on the way to Ludlow. A new issue arose though which was riding directly into the sun on wet roads...... Quite dazzling for a while.

From Ludlow I tried a new route, heading south through Richards Castle (a bit more undulating than I anticipated from the map:heat:) and west to Mortimer's Cross where I encountered a collie that took a dislike to me and stood in the middle of the A4110 junction, baying furiously and brought all the traffic to a halt.:giggle:

I now had the wind behind me and a reasonably flat road (but not well maintained), so was able to make better progress through Wigmore and up to Leintwardine where the terrible state of Herefordshire's roads was finally too much for one of my rear lights which sheared off when I hit a pothole.:sad:

The rest of the route was back onto familiar roads to Bishop's Castle (saw a Red Kite), Montgomery, Worthen, Westbury and thanks to the extra mileage south of Ludlow I was able to head home a fairly direct way through Stoney Stretton, Exfords Green and over Lyth Hill.

106.4 miles for the day at 12.4 mph moving average. With stops though it was 10 hours 10 minutes and I felt completely wrecked at the end. Feeling stuffed up with that cold now and attempting to drown it with tea.;)

View attachment 336264
Down at Theatre Severn early on.

View attachment 336267
Looking at the Wrekin as the sun is about to come up.

View attachment 336268
On the tricky bit en-route to Longville. A classic example of black ice - the road looks wet but is actually frozen.

View attachment 336269
Looking along Wenlock Edge towards the Stretton Hills. It was moments after taking this I had the encounter with the white deer.

View attachment 336270
Can I have a house like this please?^_^

View attachment 336271
Looking back at Ludlow from Ludford as I head south onto new ground.

View attachment 336272
The Riverside pub at Aymestry.

View attachment 336273
Wigmore. John Challis (Boycie from Only Fools & Horses) lives somewhere round here.

View attachment 336274
A pause to have a bite to eat at Kempton.
That will be my new stomping ground mid March when we move to Middleton on the hill.

robjh

Legendary Member
After a very enjoyable CycleChat group ride from Reading yesterday (Saturday), I rode home to the Cambridge area today. The weather couldn't match yesterday's winter sunshine, and despite a promising start around Reading, the northern side of the Chilterns was swathed in a mist that didn't lift all day. If I'm positive I'll say this lent a certain atmosphere to the ride, but it did nothing for the views.
I started heading north-west out of Reading along picturesque lanes climbing through the woods. There were plenty of cyclists out enjoying the fine start to the day, and I tagged along with some Reading CTCers for a few miles to Stoke Row. I then swung round to the north-east through Christmas Common, and did a short way on the A40 (big wide road, few cars at this time of a Sunday morning, fun to cycle) past the Stokenchurch telecom tower, with its head shrouded in the clouds. I came down the north slope of the Chilterns into Princes Risborough, then had my first café stop in Wendover, at mile 35.
I then followed the B roads that run along below the Chiltern escarpment, following the line of the ancient tracks collectively (and loosely) known as the Icknield Way. It's a scenic route - I know as I've done it before - but today the mist covered almost everything. At Dunstable I had to find another route if I wanted to avoid the confusing sprawl of Luton and the nasty dual carriageway beyond, so I headed north for a bit. I found a segment of NCN6 which led behind houses and across a park into Houghton Regis, where I headed through Streatley and up to the B655 over another piece of high ground and down to Hitchin. By Baldock I was on familiar ground, and had café break 2 (mile 71) before the final push.
The nicest route (and again to avoid dual carriageway) climbs back onto the chalk ridge, here lower than the Chilterns but with hills nonetheless, and I rode through Sandon, Buckland and Barkway in the thickening fog. At Heydon two large roe deer crossed the road in front of me, and stopped momentarily and stared. I got home at 5.30 in the last of the daylight.
It was 92 miles in all, in 6h51 riding time. I was only averaging about 10mph in the Chilterns, but picked up to around 15 after that.

The Thames at Reading; Stokenchurch tower; Chiltern scenery near Radnage; a misty Ivinghoe Beacon
20170205 (1) Reading Thames.JPG
20170205 (6) Stokenchurch tower.JPG
20170205 (8) Chilterns nr Radnage.JPG
20170205 (12) Misty Ivinghoe Beacon.JPG

upload_2017-2-5_23-3-17.png

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A miserable, cold, wet & misty morning in this part of Suffolk with the sun not coming out until midday - only to disappear again 1/2 an hour later as I set out. Today's ride was a target of 52 miles to complete a mile a year pre-birthday ride, but decided on a compact route as I've had a cold since Friday morning (on a long weekend off work as well!) and wanted a bail out option just in case.

In the end I felt a lot better than expected and completed the full route, plus a couple of extra miles, heading out through Levington & Nacton into Ipswich, followed by a meandering route back to include a loop of Felixstowe.

https://www.strava.com/activities/856287996

Mrs M

Guru
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
Last day of my long weekend so went for a wee spin.
Not a bad day, bright but slightly nippy. There's a lot of construction work going on near us just now due to the Aberdeen bypass and new buildings, lots of lorry dodging and messy roads :sad:. So:-
Set off for Duthie Park in the city :bicycle:
Came to a wee junction, hanger right onto a shared cycle path that took me along the side of a very busy road into town. Path was nice and smooth, hardly peddling, felt like I was on an e bike :smile: big puddle was fun!
Big downhill stretch, over the river Dee (cycle path) and into the park. It's a lovely space and has been refurbished in recent years. Summer is best to see it but still looked good for a February day.
Took a few pics, not very good though :blush: blame my new phone :dry:
Pics of the obelisk which is 70 feet high, the swan fountain, Victorian bandstand and the Hygeia statue which commemorates Elizabeth Duthie who gifted the park to the city.
Enjoyed my toddle round but wind was getting up a bit, even though about going into the winter gardens where they keep all the tropical plants (it's lovely and warm) not sure if they'd let the bike in though.
Heading home I tried a wee path alongside the river that cut out some of the climb :okay:
Away for over 3 hours, got the endorphins going before back to work tomorrow.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I was bit late getting the day started (I stayed up to watch The Superbowl - what a comeback!) and decided on a short whim-and-a-fancy amble to get the blood working after lunch. Found myself out at Waldringfield on Patsy #2 The CX - enjoying the brief sun and the drying lanes. Big skies in Suffolk, today.

This out at Bucklesham.

1.JPG

iandg

Legendary Member
Working Saturday, my weekend started yesterday and I bagged a February metric half century. Met up with Del and Ross and headed over Achmor. Stopped at the summit for Del to remove clothing and I answered a call of nature. Ken was pottering up the other way and we stopped to chat for a few minutes before heading off through Leurbost and out to Ranish. Ross blasted us out the back on the Ranish climb then a tailwind home and a few loops around town to take me over the 50km mark

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/855867462/embed/f09591f048f3c9ee106bbc658f6a1b3fd11910a6

16425817_10154994990087486_2568675548852471882_n.jpg

Achmor meeting

Today I took the Cross-Check on the local trails. Bit windy and I nearly got blown off a couple of times when hit by unexpected gusts.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/857087432/embed/54167f2addc6f529cd587d473fac7e74d79bbb22

Some snaps from today's gravel grind.

32591714732_3fa2b38d51_z.jpg

32365427890_1e9d123cd9_z.jpg

32365428510_8a69189b59_z.jpg

32365428490_15c3a69114_z.jpg

32364845480_a59949c9a4_z.jpg

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ride today was to check out a previously flooded cycle path.

Knowing it would be muddy, I took my bike with studded tyres because they also have a bit of tread.

Looked like some black ice in the back lanes which form part of the early section of the route.

I will never know if the studs kept me upright, but they did give me the confidence to carry on with the ride.

The path I wanted to look at is part of the former C2C route on the south side of the River Wear in Sunderland between South Hylton and Offerton.

The flood has been there for months, and nothing has been done despite a few requests to various likely bodies.

Last I heard, the job was mired in a responsibility dispute between Sustrans, the local authority, and Northumbrian Water, who it is suspected did some work nearby which caused the problem.

As the pic shows, there's still a lot of standing water, but it's now shallow enough to be passable even for a cautious cyclist such as myself.

P1000402.JPG

Having passed the worst part of the track, I could now continue on my muddy - and icy - way to Penshaw, then the bridge at Fatfield to cross to the north side of the Wear.

Turning back towards Sunderland at St Robert's Newminster school put me onto the current C2C route.

Several ways to go through Washington, given the conditions I opted for a road-biased route which also took me past a Sainsbury's Local at Teal Farm Estate, which is handy to pick up some comestibles.

Trunk bag fully loaded, it was time for a cuppa at the cafe in the Washington Wildfowl Trust.

I've used it often, not considered cheap for up here - the plate below was £6.10 - but they are reasonably welcoming to cyclists.

The bike park is out of sight from the cafe, although it's an unlikely location for ne'er do wells and there's usually staff trudging about.

P1000404.JPG

Anyone local to the area may just recognise Penshaw Monument behind the trees on the skyline.

Suitably refreshed, I trundled on along the C2C towards Sunderland, more tracks with more surface mud, puddles and ice.

I took to the road again for the last two or three miles, which took me past Sunderland's under construction new bridge.

Not quite sure why they need such a tall crane, the bridge deck is the blue bit.

P1000405.JPG

Incoming darkness means it's time to deploy my lights for the last three or four miles home.

The ride is about 15 miles with only a couple of climbs, neither of which are very steep or long.

I rather like it, varied going and plenty of interest/stopping for a smoke opportunities along the way.

And knowing that path is passable again reopens some of my longer routes for future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom