Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Got out for a nice easy 100km flat Cheshire ride today before the very cold icy weather sets in later in the week. A slight bit of ice in the road gutters, but nothing too concerning. Rode one of my regular routes past Catch Penny Pool ending at Redesmere with the many human duck feeders.
336527.jpg

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
@Mrs M - that's a pretty bike :wub:

I've thought that too from previous posts :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Littgull and I had planned a 100+ km ride for today, my February qualifying ride for the 2017 'metric century a month challenge'.

Littgull cycled over from Littleborough and then we caught the 09:04 train from Todmorden with our bikes, changed at Leeds, and eventually set off from Garforth station at about 10:45. At that time there was an extremely cold, murky mist hanging over the flatlands. (We were wearing heavy duty winter kit and still felt chilled. We met a younger mountain biker wearing shorts on our train back in the evening and he told us that he was out on his bike before 06:00 today when it was so cold that ice crystals had stuck the hairs to his legs! :eek: Madness! :laugh:)

The Lines way out of Garforth has a reasonable to good surface for about 50% of its length. The rest of it is unprotected soil which can become muddy in wet conditions and those sections WERE muddy today, and as expected - so were the two offroad sections of the Trans Pennine Trail that we tackled later in the ride. We did manage to avoid ice though. (Actually, Littgull reckons that he rode over one very small patch, but I had feared that it could have been a real problem on the ride because there had been temperatures a couple of degrees below freezing last night.)

We didn't bother stopping to take any photos today but there were some very atmospheric scenes to the side of the road with the mist swirling over the RSPB nature reserve at Fairburn Ings.

Even though there was not a huge amount of climbing on the route, the first half was more undulating than I remembered from the other time that I rode it. The thing is, that time it was on my normal road bike which has plenty of gears for the little climbs. Those climbs are much harder in the 52/19 gear on my singlespeed bike. I got up everything ok, but I certainly noticed the steeper rises.

It took nearly 2 hours, but eventually the sun burned away the last of the mist and temperatures climbed to to a positively balmy 3 or 4 degrees ... (or should that be 'barmy'! :whistle:)

We had ridden out to Fairburn and then undertook a big anticlockwise loop, roughly S, E, N, then W. There was a moderate wind coming from the SE so it was hindering and chilling us for the first half of the loop, and then started to help us later in the day. That was nice, especially because the wind was intensifying through the day and would have been unpleasant to ride back into.

We stopped at a shop in Askern to avail ourselves of their £2 for pasty + cookie + canned drink offer. After knocking those back, I used my spider sense to track down some public toilets - I worked out where I would build them if I had designed the town centre, and there they were, behind a building!

We worked our way round to the TPT sections, which allowed us to avoid some busy roads. They WERE muddy, but not quite as bad as I'd feared. Certainly rideable, but our bikes ended up filthy by the time we finished the second section. NOTE TO TRAIL DESIGNERS: Please don't put stupid barriers on trail paths intended for cycles!!! We encountered 2 that we could not wheel our bikes through. We struggled to upend them and squeeze them through at the first barrier. We gave up at the second barrier and lifted the heavy bikes over a barbed wire fence instead. ANNOYING AND UNNECESSARY!

We started to speed up in the later parts of the ride but a leisurely early pace meant that we did not get back to Fairburn Ings before the visitor centre cafe had closed. It is still on winter hours and shuts at 4 pm. I think I read that it is open to 7 pm later in the year? If you like bird-watching, that place certainly looks worth a visit. Anyway - no cafe stop today!

We returned to the Lines Way and climbed back up it to Garforth. It is based on a disused railway line so the gradient is gentle, sloping down from Garforth to the other end at Allerton Bywater. Apart from the mud today, we really liked it.

We didn't have long to wait at Garforth for our train back to Leeds. We had long enough there to buy refreshments at the station, mine costing me nearly as much as my return rail ticket had!

The train from Leeds to Todmorden was crammed with commuters and we only just managed to squeeze on with our bikes, and that was by taking them to the far end of the train, where fewer travellers had bothered to go. It was still tight, and it was only due to the unselfish and courteous behaviour of a man and a woman by the doors that we managed to board. They didn't complain about us bringing our bikes on and requiring them to edge out of our way. The woman even held my coffee, sandwich and crisps for me while I got my bike into position.

It had started to rain about the time that we arrived at Leeds. I didn't have far to ride home from Todmorden station, but Littgull had about 10 km to do on the A6033 to Littleborough, so he was unlucky to have just missed out on a totally rain-free day.

Not a bad day out on the bikes! 103 km (64 miles) for me, and it must have been about 122 km (76 miles) for Littgull.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A late night yesterday watching the Superbowl and by the time I got motivated to go out, it was looking dry & bright so I decided to use my best bike for the first time this year. Initially I was only going to go to the other side of the River Orwell for a loop through Holbrook & around Alton Water and back again. However I was enjoying using a light bike instead of the heavy Kona or Whyte of recent weeks so at the Brantham Bull instead of turning right for home, I turned left and headed for East Bergholt and Holton St Mary before turning towards Ipswich.

Back in Ipswich there was a loop around the Chantry & Belstead areas before heading back outwards to Claydon via Bramford and then skirting the outskirts of Ipswich again to get to Westerfield. Then I started to think that having done a mile per year pre-birthday ride yesterday, the metric version of 104km (2km per year) could be managed with a small diversion in Rushmere - yes I am that sad that I know the mileage home from that far out! All completed and, most unusually this early in the month I have now done an imperial 50 and a metric 100.

Only one problem - who thought it was a good idea to put temporary traffic lights half way up Freston Hill?

https://www.strava.com/activities/857437486

galaxy

Veteran
My ride today was to check out a previously flooded cycle path.

Knowing it would be muddy, I took my bike with studded tyres because they also have a bit of tread.

Looked like some black ice in the back lanes which form part of the early section of the route.

I will never know if the studs kept me upright, but they did give me the confidence to carry on with the ride.

The path I wanted to look at is part of the former C2C route on the south side of the River Wear in Sunderland between South Hylton and Offerton.

The flood has been there for months, and nothing has been done despite a few requests to various likely bodies.

Last I heard, the job was mired in a responsibility dispute between Sustrans, the local authority, and Northumbrian Water, who it is suspected did some work nearby which caused the problem.

As the pic shows, there's still a lot of standing water, but it's now shallow enough to be passable even for a cautious cyclist such as myself.

View attachment 336494

Having passed the worst part of the track, I could now continue on my muddy - and icy - way to Penshaw, then the bridge at Fatfield to cross to the north side of the Wear.

Turning back towards Sunderland at St Robert's Newminster school put me onto the current C2C route.

Several ways to go through Washington, given the conditions I opted for a road-biased route which also took me past a Sainsbury's Local at Teal Farm Estate, which is handy to pick up some comestibles.

Trunk bag fully loaded, it was time for a cuppa at the cafe in the Washington Wildfowl Trust.

I've used it often, not considered cheap for up here - the plate below was £6.10 - but they are reasonably welcoming to cyclists.

The bike park is out of sight from the cafe, although it's an unlikely location for ne'er do wells and there's usually staff trudging about.

View attachment 336499

Anyone local to the area may just recognise Penshaw Monument behind the trees on the skyline.

Suitably refreshed, I trundled on along the C2C towards Sunderland, more tracks with more surface mud, puddles and ice.

I took to the road again for the last two or three miles, which took me past Sunderland's under construction new bridge.

Not quite sure why they need such a tall crane, the bridge deck is the blue bit.

View attachment 336500

Incoming darkness means it's time to deploy my lights for the last three or four miles home.

The ride is about 15 miles with only a couple of climbs, neither of which are very steep or long.

I rather like it, varied going and plenty of interest/stopping for a smoke opportunities along the way.

And knowing that path is passable again reopens some of my longer routes for future.
I was born in Hastings Hill, moved to Shiney Row, before moving south in 1987. Know that area really well, some fantastic cycling.

Old jon

Guru
Chilly again, but dry enough. Should have taken the fixed out but it is still on the original tall gearing, not really a prospect for the road yet. Oddly, had a call part way round the ride to tell me the sprockets and chain had arrived. Pick them up this afternoon, maybe fit them tomorrow.

My normal start to most rides is blocked for the next few months, some thought as to new escape routes is due, today the easy option was to ride through Hunslet, past the parish church and on to Hunslet Road, Low Road and all the other names it has to the climb to John o’ Gaunts. A rather familiar list of villages then follow. Woodlesford and Swillington, either side of the river and canal. Garforth’s big roundabout, for once with no traffic on it, it did feel fast, then the cliff and along the A63. The Boot and Shoe pub, ex really but the building is still there, used to have its very own roundabout on the A1. A new roundabout a bit north will now be called the B and S roundabout. There is a choice there, Micklefield or Sherburn in Elmet? Sherburn had the vote today, a slightly longer ride which totalled 32.4 miles. Riding into Sherburn on the B 1222 I saw vast heaps of gravel in the last layby before the village. I guess we are in for some more road resurfacing in the near future. Turning left onto Sir John’s Lane I noticed a new looking sign on the wall at the corner, ‘Cowbell Corner’ it was proudly labelled. Here be the video.

All the way to Lotherton Gates and turn right. Aberford, Barwick, oh OK, in Elmet, Scholes and the lanes to Boot Hill, which provided all the grin factor I really need, the rest of the ride could be looked on as preparation maybe. Pedal a bit more, pass the other ( Leeds ) parish church and whizz round a bit of Hunslet. Oh, the cycle lane on Black Bull Street. It is really a ski slalom course, isn’t it? With added one ton cars to make it interesting. I cannot see a way onto it without crossing two lanes of potential traffic and quite a bit of weaving about. Rode straight down the street I did. Happily.

The map. You didn't think I would forget?

07022017.jpg

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sunshine was forecast and lo, the forecast was correct! So off for a half century (only a metric half) to increase my points for the half century a month challenge, and to get some hills in.
So I've worked out a metric half that gets me 2000 ft of ascent - most of which is achieved by cycling up the edge of the Cotswolds twice. Lovely weather, and although my legs weren't feeling that brilliant, when I uploaded the ride onto Strava when I got home, I discovered that I'd managed quite a few PRs on some of the hilly bits, and quite a few 2's as well (and yes, I've done those segments more than twice!).
So, pleased. And somehow it is even nicer that now I am back at my desk and (supposedly) working, the clouds have appeared!

'Relive' of the ride

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I rode over to Suckley to join in on the CTC ride. It was good to meet up with some old faces. Ben and Sheila F were our leaders. Ben's routes are usually very well chosen and today was no exception. There were 10 of us including 80 year old Peter. These days Peter has some assistance from an electric motor. Ben lead us by Linley Green but didn't take the Stanford Bishop lane. He knew something - the valley road was blocked by water pipe work. Instead we ended up on the drop from Acton Green which was covered by fresh hedge clippings. Poor David got a thorn so took a shortcut to Bishops Frome to repair it while the rest of us rounded by Paunton Court. Then we went by Much Cowarne for Stretton Grandison where Mrs 26's rear tyre went down. Sorted it was by Swinmore and Munsley for the refreshments at The Nest.

Lots of chat later Mrs 26 rode off for the train from Ledbury while we headed off to loop by Plaistow for Coddington Cross. Folks were peeling off to head for their homes. By Mathon we were five and at Greenhill three. At the bottom of Winthill I was on my own having thanked Ben and Sheila for a lovely outing. It just remained for me to climb that steep Winthill and ride along the Leigh Brook for home. Super outing today thanks Ben and Sheila. 56 smiles

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less

Thanks for putting your rides up as Strava links - you've given me some alternative routes to try. :okay:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Left work at 5 and I had my bike in my car so quick change and thought I would get a nice 30 miler in, 8 miles in the heavens opened, couldn't see a thing and felt quite unsafe with passing cars so took a short cut back and only got 13 miles in.

Gutted.
A like for the idea - not the need to abandon. ^_^

Osprey

Guru
Nice weather falling on my day off - lets get a ride in. keen to get Februarys metric century challenge ride in, I quickly plotted a route on largely unfamiliar roads.
I waited until 9am for the frost to go and commuter traffic lighten and set off down the North Gower road off the peninsula. The traffic was still busy for the first 10 miles which didn't help and relax me into the ride. An enjoyable quiet section climbing up the NCN 47 Swiss Valley to Crosshands which was deserted. Next up was the unfamiliar route from Crosshand, through Ammanford, Garnant and Gwaun Cae Gurwen which proved busy with lorrys thundering back and fore to the various quarries. The road was broken up making avoiding potholes and traffic tiring. Back on familiar roads through Pontardawe, Llansamlet and Gorseinon was a little easier. Back on the North Gower road, the garmin revealed my 100km route was short by some 12km so some extra diversions through the next village then back circling my village made up the shortfall. All in all I can't say I really enjoyed it, but at least I got my February metric century bagged and also my Strava Feb Gran Fondo.

upload_2017-2-8_19-42-34.png

Gwaun Cae Gurwen.png

Top Bottom