Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sod's law I was busy while it was sunny and still this morning. By the time I could get away for a ride, it'd clouded over,the odd spit and spot of rain was in the air and a brisk 20 mph wind had got up. Nothing for it and headed out anyway as it'll be at least Sunday before I'll have the chance again.

Started out as usual heading to Downham via the Common, California and Lawn Lane. Up through Downham while the kids were piling out of the village primary school, and out the other side along the Hythe Road towards Way Head. Once the road starts to twist and turn, you sort of forget about the wind because you're too busy concentrating on avoiding the pot holes, and the hedgerows offer a modicum of shelter anyway.

Saw some partridges scratching about on the road verge into Way Head - they can't have been more than three or four feet away from me. Then it's the steep little drag into Coveney. Was glad to stop for a wee breather, drink and snackette outside St Peter's after cycling into a near constant headwind. While I was stopped, a cyclist coming the other way waved hello. :hello:

Suitably refreshed, it's a sharp left turn down the hill and the run to Ely along West Fen Road. In the more exposed parts you could really feel the crosswind trying to push the bike across the road. Granny gears and drops got used a fair bit. Noticed there's a new owl box near Isle Vets and that the rooks are starting to get settled in the rookery there. I finally had a tailwind when I hit the 10 mile point turning onto the A10 and then the B1411 as I set off on the homeward leg. With the wind shoving me up the backside, I set a really good clip for the next three miles, until turning out of Downham to go back the other way through California. Then I met the crosswind again... :cry:

I could have turned right onto Main Drove and set sail for home at that point, but I fancied challenging myself and kept going down towards O Furlong - the start of what used to be my standard seven mile loop. There I noticed a large stand of pussy willow, and I had to stop and spend a moment stroking the furry buds. Silly I know, but they're so soft and silky. Actually, I was glad of the wee break, as by now I was battling that wretched headwind again, all the way to Pymoor. In Pymoor I rejoined the B1411 and rode out towards Adventurer's Drove and the Corkers Crisps factory. Unfortunately the wind direction meant that I couldn't smell the crisps being fried as I rode past, but I could smell them earlier while cycling along O Furlong...

After that was the bit I really wasn't looking forward to - Mill Hill. After four miles it's bad enough. After 18 miles of a windy ride and with tired legs, it's hell. But I made it to the top even if I had no spare cogs left on the cassette. From there it's a three mile squirt home, retracing (almost) the opening part of the ride. Just as I came home, the sun dipped below the cloudline and I was treated to an absolutely spectacular sunset. :sun:

So my longest ride to date, 21 miles in the bag and two hours in the saddle. I'm sitting here really feeling it now - neck and shoulders far more than the legs. :heat: Nothing a slice of cake and a hot bath won't solve though. :okay:

Nicely done:thumbsup:.

Nicely done:thumbsup:.

Thanks :smile: Am trying to build up sensibly to doing metric half centuries. That's my goal for the summer.

BTW, can I pick your brain? What's the safest / best way to cycle to Mepal? I don't much fancy crossing the 142 if I can help it...

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Just a 30 mile ride around the capital in warm but windy conditions. First up was a visit to the Nuclear Dawn mural in Brixton, which was painted the same year as the Brixton riots in 1981, so is 36 years old this year, and it has faded over the years. I'm not sure the concerns over nuclear bombs and power have faded as much.
IMG_20170222_133914_zpssxzrc5xm.jpg

This mural is one of my earliest memories of coming to London to visit my Gran as a child. More info here:
http://www.londonmuralpreservationsociety.com/murals/nuclear-dawn/
Just as I was cycling away from this I passed some curious egg looking sculptures, one rusty and the silver one had what looked like children's drawings carved into it.
IMG_20170222_134030_zps1pzcg5qe.jpg

There was no info at the site to give any indication what they were, but a quick google search when I got home revealed all:
http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2016/08/...e-brixtons-barrier-block-aka-southwyck-house/
I then decided to take full use of the tailwind and head over to Holloway Rd area to look for a tree mural my friend had a vague recollection he saw when he lived in the neighbourhood about 20 years ago. I had no luck finding the mural so will do more searching for that at a later date, but still managed to learn some new stuff on the way. Crossing Old St I saw the following and thought, ooh I can post that in the 'cycle in front of walls pics' thread I've been carpet bombing with cool graffiti pics over the last week or so.
IMG_20170222_142611_zps5rljmca2.jpg

Just as I was wondering if it was supposed to be anyone in particular, as I got closer, I realised the bookshop immediately next to it had this in the window:
:
IMG_20170222_142642_zpsur1yrtzj.jpg

I have to applaud the effort of the shop in advertising their wares, I may pop back for a badge when I have a lock on me. I'd never heard of him but he sounds an interesting character, and his wiki entry has a pic of him riding a bike in 1898, so he's got to be alright in my book.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Jarry
While exploring various roads around upper Holloway I came across this, look closely all those windows are fake and painted on. Its another oldie, dating from 1985.
IMG_20170222_145551_zpsxbr7zqm6.jpg

I was then really blown away when I stumbled across this, overlooking Holloway Road. Its a floral sculpture of Dick Whittington's cat, and seems to be made from a load of succulents on a metal frame. I'd not seen this before but loved it, such a great idea.
IMG_20170222_150038_zpsmpmxfqoc.jpg

IMG_20170222_150058_zps6uf8olna.jpg

I then made grunting noises fighting into the wind on my single gear all the way back across to South West London. I'm slowly building up my miles in the warmer weather, 190 miles last week, I hope to crack 200 this week, making 1100 for the year so far. Storm Doris may arrive tomorrow bringing 50mph winds, so I'll probably give tomorrow a miss, but I bet some Strava loons will be out trying to smash segments with that epic tailwind.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Just a 30 mile ride around the capital in warm but windy conditions. First up was a visit to the Nuclear Dawn mural in Brixton, which was painted the same year as the Brixton riots in 1981, so is 36 years old this year, and it has faded over the years. I'm not sure the concerns over nuclear bombs and power have faded as much.
View attachment 339145
This mural is one of my earliest memories of coming to London to visit my Gran as a child. More info here:
http://www.londonmuralpreservationsociety.com/murals/nuclear-dawn/
Just as I was cycled away from this I passed some curious egg looking sculptures, one rusty and the silver one had what looked like children's drawings carved into it.
View attachment 339146
There was no info at the site to give any indication what they were, but a quick google search when I got home revealed all:
http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2016/08/...e-brixtons-barrier-block-aka-southwyck-house/
I then decided to take full use of the tailwind and head over to Holloway Rd area to look for a tree mural my friend had a vague recollection he saw when he lived in the neighbourhood about 20 years ago. I had no luck finding the mural so will do more searching for that at a later date, but still managed to learn some new stuff on the way. Crossing Old St I saw the following and thought, ooh I can post that in the 'cycle in front of walls pics' thread I've been carpet bombing with cool graffiti pics over the last week or so.
View attachment 339147
Just as I was wondering if it was supposed to be anyone in particular, as I got closer, I realised the bookshop immediately next to it had this in the window:
: View attachment 339148
I have to applaud the effort of the shop in advertising their wares, I may pop back for a badge when I have a lock on me. I'd never heard of him but he sounds an interesting character, and his wiki entry has a pic of him riding a bike in 1898, so he's got to be alright in my book.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Jarry
While exploring various roads around upper Holloway I came across this, look closely all those windows are fake and painted on. Its another oldie, dating from 1985.
View attachment 339149
I was then really blown away when I stumbled across this, overlooking Holloway Road. Its a floral sculpture of Dick Whittington's cat, and seems to be made from a load of succulents on a metal frame. I'd not seen this before but loved it, such a great idea.
View attachment 339150
View attachment 339151
I then made grunting noises fighting into the wind on my single gear all the way back across to South West London. I'm slowly building up my miles in the warmer weather, 190 miles last week, I hope to crack 200 this week, making 1100 for the year so far. Storm Doris may arrive tomorrow bringing 50mph winds, so I'll probably give tomorrow a miss, but I bet some Strava loons will be out trying to smash segments with that epic tailwind.
I'll bet Alfred Jarry would have appreciated the 'pataphysical act of making grunting noises while riding a bicycle.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
5 days in the mountains, one of our training camp days. Did a little bit of climbing on Tuesday. Had a great weak in Calpe Spain, Stayed in the Diamomte beech hotel, A really cycle friendly place, we hired bikes fron a lttle shop around the corner, Orbea carbon frames with Shimano 105 groupsets really nice bikes, the gear change was a bit rough but worked ok, (after riding Di2 at home nothing else is going to feel that good) But the handling and feel of the bike made descending enjoyable. Great place to ride, It was all organized through our club. have put my name down for the next one. :okay: Here are a couple of the rides we did.
https://www.strava.com/activities/872573369
https://www.strava.com/activities/873604655
https://www.strava.com/activities/874772027
Capture%201.jpg
Capture%202.jpg
Capture%203.jpg
Capture%205.jpg

Last edited:
What cam did you use for this? I`ve got a Gamin VIRB Elite and it gives the same creaking noise. I think its the road noise through the bars.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sunny today, gloomy forecast for the weekend, so I had another 'sod work' morning and got another metric half done. Gave myself a gentler day, with only one climb, up the hill from Wotton, then along the A4135 and A46 for a little way before taking the little country lane past Chavenage to Tetbury.
Snowdrops out everywhere (pity my phone camera doesn't do the exposure all that well, but it's easier than lugging the normal camera around!)
upload_2017-2-24_13-45-18.png

On the way to Tetbury I stopped at the entrance to Chavenage House to take a pic - watchers of Poldark may recognise this (sadly, no Aiden Turner in sight!)
upload_2017-2-24_13-46-36.png

Then through Tetbury towards Malmesbury, but dodged that by going through Brokenborough. I've cycled around this area a lot in the few years I've been living under the edge, but it may have been the first time through this village. There's not much to it, a few houses and a pub, but it does have a pretty church.
upload_2017-2-24_13-48-15.png

Then Sherston on the B road, then smaller roads to Sopworth before getting to Dunkirk and the nice whizz down the hill from Hawkesbury Upton. The whole ride was under blue skies with little puffy clouds - lovely - it is beginning to feel that winter is going.
No strava link cos I was daft and pressed the wrong button half way round, so it is two separate Strava rides!

13 rider

Guru
After a morning diying I had a spare hour this afternoon so out with the bike . Shorts were donned for the first time since October and out into some winter sunshine .Up through Newtown Linford turned left onto Ulverscoft lane and came across the first sign of Doris damage where a large branch had been sawed up by the side of the road . From here all the way up Pollybotts lane and then Whitcroft the road was littered with debris from the storm . Back to Beacon crossroads and up the Beacon the easy way and then the quick descent all the way into Quorn .Chose the hilly route up Wood lane onto Swithland lane . Here I stopped for a few minutes to watch a tree surgeon cutting a large tree which was at a 45 degree angle as it had been nearly up routed. I would image the people in the bungalow were slightly worried :eek: yesterday as the tree was heading in there direction .Back home via Cropston 18.5 miles done in lovely conditions even the wind wasn't too bad .

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A quick nip down to the bank and back. Because it was a nice dry bright sunny day and the paths were dry today I took the Kingpin, the more I ride this bike the more I enjoy it for short trips, no need for special clothes, shoes or helmet, its a daft machine but its perfect for a ride down to shops. No one takes any notice of it, and you get a wide berth from vehicles for some reason...maybe 'cos I'm fat. Just the 6 miles.

IMG_4937.JPG

The Cockpit.
IMG_4940.JPG

IMG_4945.JPG

Up Against The Wall. TRB reference.
IMG_4946.JPG

I parked to a modern Eslwick shopper bike, Elswick used to make a rather nice 20 inch wheel bike back in the day.

IMG_4951.JPG

That platform on the left used to be where the railway signal box was down this Sustrans track.

IMG_4952.JPG

The Ridgeway in the distance.

544.jpg

It was nice out, chilly but nice in the sunshine, I saw my first daffodils of the year today too, spring is on the way.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Hurrah the sun was shining. I met Margaret P-R on Hook Bank and off we rode through the Castlemorton lanes to emerge at Rye Cross. We hadn't seen each other for a while so lots of catch up was going on. On down to Redmarley we went where Margaret had a minor chain incident. With the chain back on the granny ring we crested the climb easily enough. Snowdrops abounded on the banks on either side of the road. At Highleadon we decided we didn't need to stop for a cuppa so continued on to Ashleworth where we paused to check the wildfowl. With no binoculars between us it was tricky identifying things. Shoveler and Lapwing was about as much as we could do. Back in the saddle a pair of Bramblings flew into the hedge and then some Redwing perched nicely for us to admire. We took to the return through the school and said our goodbyes at Tunnel Hill. I made my way back using my standard run. It had been a lovely relaxing outing in good weather and good company. Can't ask for better than that. 46 smiles today

Last edited:
Top Bottom