Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A friend at work told me of this gentle climb, listen to my gasping at the end.................... he is no long'er a friend.:eek::laugh:

About 450 metres at 9.2% - a significant climb, but not a real killer hill. Your problem was going up it a bit too fast and trying to tell us all about it at the same time! :laugh:

rugby bloke

Veteran
On Saturday morning I did my final long(ish) ride before RideLondon, decided to go out on my new favourite route. From Cogenhoe, towards Grendon before turning right and the first climb of the day up to Castle Ashby. After a bit of a blow it was off across the fields to Easton Maudit and Bozeat before what should be a fast decent to Hinwick. It should be a fast decent but the road condition is truly appalling, most of the time you need to ride close to the centre line to find smooth tarmac. The road is an approach to Santa Pod Raceway, which may or not have something to do with it. Back out across the fields again into Wollaston, down Bell End (snigger, snigger) and across another stretch of terrible tarmac to the big climb of the day - Doddington Hill - a mighty hill, topping out at 8 % ! Huge by local standards ! A bit more of a blow was required after conquering it. More rolling hills takes you to Wilby and then Mears Ashby, before the highlight of the day . A 3.5 mile dash, slightly downhill to Little Horrowden. There is something about this road the makes cycling easy and I can even average over 20 mph for the whole section.

After the fun comes the pain and that comes in the form of a long uphill drag through Orlingbury and over the A43, certainly not averaging 20 mph at this point ! A quick decent and steepish climb takes you into Harrington and then onto Walgrave. It is very pretty and properly Northamptonshire countryside, I would recommend it as cycling country. The road from Walgrave to Holcott is another rollercoster and the lumpyness continues from Holcott to Moulton.

Coffee and cake was planned after 34 miles in Moulton but disaster - the coffee venue is closed ..... in a daze of disappointment I cycle onwards. Back over the A43 again to Overstone and the long drag up to Sywell. I turn onto the Earls Barton road and its very much the home stretch. Through the fields to Earls Barton, here I opt to go down the old Northampton road and through reasonably maintained cycle underpass to get past the A45. Soon I'm back on the Whiston road and the final climb home to Cogenhoe.

44 miles, almost averaged 16 mph , so positively flying. Even better, it was probably the driest 3 hours of the weekend.

upload_2017-7-24_9-2-12.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got out this afternoon for that rare thing; a cycle ride with my brother.:hyper:

He picked the route which was quite flexible and consisted a lot of "we haven't been that way for a while have we?", which was quite enjoyable.:okay:

We started off, as many of our rides do, by heading for Condover initially. Here we found the way we'd intended closed for road works so went through the village where Doug decided to carry on up the hill to Berriewood. We stayed on this road through the dip and the next climb to Frodeseley where we turned right heading towards Longnor. A left turn was taken at the crossroads and Lawley was next, along with three decent climbs, the second of which over Hoar Edge was a bit of a struggle for Doug.

At Chatwall we took a left and managed to get seperated for a bit. I stopped for a photo and told Doug to take the next left but to wait by the junction where I'd catch him up. Photo taken I got to the junction but Doug wasn't there. It's a bit of a standing joke that he has a bad sense of direction so I wondered whether he'd missed the turn and carried on. :scratch: The 'phone signal up here is pretty ropey so I couldn't get hold of him to find out where he was and had to make a decision to head down the steep hill in the direction we'd intended to go and hope that I wouldn't have to turn around and climb back up it.

Fortunately Doug had gone the right way and I caught up with him at Causewaywood Farm. The little valley that this lane runs along reminds me slightly of Lake District rides - I think due to the stone buildings and the way it undulates. Very nice.

After some more undulating riding we ended up at Acton Burnell where there is a stretch on the way to Pitchford where you can normally get up some good speed. Not today though as we had a brisk headwind and Doug was starting to flag due to all the climbing earlier.

On the approach to Cantlop we were discussing the route back. I thought the direct way would be best but Doug wanted to go on past Betton Abbotts and Betton Strange, then along Oteley Road and back via Meole Brace. It's his party so I just followed but I could see he was struggling on the hills and making the most of any freewheeling.

We made it back alright though and Doug had a grin at the end so appears to have enjoyed. 22.5 miles this time at 10.5 mph average.

DSC0004800.jpg

Change of plan at Condover.

DSC0004802.jpg

Off the beaten track on the way to Lawley.

DSC0004804.jpg

Doug tackles the second hairpin.

DSC0004806.jpg

After the climb you drop into a quite pretty valley (why do power lines always spoil the shot though?)

DSC0004809.jpg

The big climb of the day. It's a lot steeper than it appears in this photo.

DSC0004814.jpg

View from a gateway near Chatwall.

DSC0004818.jpg

Drink stop before we descend into Acton Burnell.

Old jon

Guru
A bright morning out there. OK I can cope with bright, I think. Thoughts of riding through Barwick in Elmet the downhill way had been ignited by reading of @NorthernDave 's ride recently, and it has been a while since I rode that way. I was not as bright as the morning, it seems.

The average jaunt through Holbeck was interrupted by a loose screw. The front light mount had decided to do this, annoying, is it not? So I stopped to tighten the thing. I had intended to turn onto Crown Point Road from Great Wilson Street, forgot it totally and travelled one lane further right as if I was heading to Cinder Bridge and points Oulton ish. Realised at the end of Black Bull Street and decided to defer to my subconscious. After all, it was doing the map reading! So, John o ‘Gaunts, Oulton and the roundabout. Straight on there and left at the next to aim for Castleford. The last time I rode this way I was with gears, so to speak. This time I was on the fixed. I think my subconscious may have fallen out with me. To Castleford is pretty much OK, through the centre and turn left to cross the river, by ‘eck, that bridge is steep! And quite a few other bits of the A 656 past Ledston Luck and on to Peckfield Bar seemed a bit more up than I remembered. Anyway, it is all about the exercise and stuff. Straight across the Bar, and along to the right turn for Micklefield.

Ride along what used to be the A 1, no detours until Aberford where I turned left, up and downery in prospect to reach Barwick, road works traffic lights on the uphill approach, followed by Scholes, just the way Scholes always is. A short stretch of A 64 to Thorner Lane, the procession of Skeltons Lane, Red Hall Lane and Boot Hill leading to what could be called the Roundhay slalom, Crown Point Bridge and through Hunslet to home. Thirty two and a quarter miles, fair weather and a smile inducing ride. Wonderful for a Monday.

Newish squiggles from the Garmin.

24072017.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Very pleasant day out there apart from a very stiff wind. I decided to take to a standard route but ride in the opposite direction as there would be more shelter on the return leg. My pace was quite brisk with the assistance of the tail wind. At the turn around at Highleadon my pace dropped. Uphill and into the wind as this section wasn't well sheltered it was just keep on plugging away. The shelter arrived at Upleadon as did the steepest section. I was expecting it to be fairly tough up to Camer's Green but it didn't transpire. Nevertheless I opted for the hedges of the Castlemorton lanes before taking the standard return from Danemoor Cross. I do believe the wind had dropped. Well who would have thought that would happen! 50 smiles.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
So my plan was to get in a big 70 miler or so last week prior to next Sundays RideLondon. Found a nice looking route someone had made going south from Manchester to Jodrell Bank discovery centre and looping west and back.

So set off later than planned, but with enough time to take it easy and still get to the cafe at Jodrell before 4.30pm when they closed. The route was initially beset by lots of traffic - it was 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon but felt like 5pm on a Friday! Finally getting south of Heald Green I started hitting the country lanes of the route.

Nice lovely quiet country lanes...lovely. I have to hand it to the fella who did the route, bar the start and getting back from Altrincham the route was nigh on perfect, with barely any cars for the most part and lots of lovely scenery, first of near Alderley Edge's "Edge".

Photo 19-07-2017, 14 44 55.jpg

Then finding a village with an awful lot of awards....

Photo 19-07-2017, 15 15 44.jpg

(Show offs)

Then yet more beautiful country lanes....

Photo 19-07-2017, 15 38 41.jpg

I realised at one point I was stopping so much for photos I was probably not doing much exercise, and was starting to run a tad late for Joddrell. So my planned easy stroll turned into something like a Sagan breakaway (if someone had slashed both of Sagans tyres first).

Stopped for one last pic of the Lovell telescope at Joddrell Bank in the background...

Photo 19-07-2017, 16 05 37.jpg

Upon getting to the entrance with 20 minutes spare I noticed the barriers were down. Pressing the intercom button a voice told me they had closed early! :wacko::wacko:

Explaining I had cycled 35 miles to get a picture they let me crawl unceremoniously under the barrier to get closer for a picture. I couldn't get into the compound to get a nice view from below, so the closest I got was this...

Photo 19-07-2017, 16 22 54.jpg

I negotiated through the open kitchen door for some water and off I went taking in whatever pics I could of the massive War of the Worlds looking beast.

Photo 19-07-2017, 16 25 23.jpg

Photo 19-07-2017, 16 41 45.jpg

Continuing along the route I was acutely aware the weather forecast was rain and probable heavy thunderstorms, but I minded more the fact I had missed out on a nice cup of tea and sandwich.

That was until I hit Goostrey and an odd looking newsagents with giant words COFFEE on the side caught my eye. Brakes slammed, wallet out, and a cup of tea and sausage roll was mine to behold!

Photo 19-07-2017, 16 58 54.jpg

Crossed over the M6 a couple of times, the first it looked fairly quiet, the other it looked like the M6.

Photo 19-07-2017, 17 46 35.jpg

Started to rain by this point, so jacket on for a bit, until I got hot and took it off. Started to feel a bit leggy around Dunham Massey so stopped for a minute for one last photo...

Photo 19-07-2017, 18 40 08 (1).jpg

The last few miles were uneventful but busy again with traffic, no thunderstorm came, and even the light rain stopped so was quite happy in the end.

I just need to leave the house a little earlier when I go visiting Tripods.

66.7 miles @14.9 on the Cannondale Synapse with a couple of k climbing. Didn't go as easy as I planned so my HR was through the roof!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1091677425

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just back from my second ride of the day. @gavgav came to pick his bike up and take it for a shakedown ride so I joined him for part of it. Out to Condover again on fairly quiet roads then along the lanes a bit until we parted at the junction for Allfield. The altered handlebar height seems to meet approval and Gav commented a couple of times about the gear shifts feeling nice and smooth again. (Feels smug ^_^)

After we parted I headed back towards Lyth Hill and over the top where I grabbed a couple of photos of the countryside lit up by the evening sun.

8.3 miles at 13.4 mph average.

DSC0004819.jpg

DSC0004820.jpg

gavgav

Guru
You may remember I popped the Cube up to @Rickshaw Phil's last week, for his expertise in giving it the annual service.

Phil picked me up, this evening, to enable me to collect the serviced bike and give it a test ride home. He'd done an excellent job as always and suitable payment was made :cheers:. There was also a slightly new rising position for me to try, with the handlebars flipped on the stem, to try and make it slightly less upright, now that I'm used to a lower position on the Forme.

Phil joined me for part of the test route, just in case any adjustments were needed, but none were and it rode very smoothly.

It was a glorious sunny evening, fabulous clear views of the Stretton hills, with any wind being mostly behind us and it had died down considerably from earlier in the day.

We left the village, crossing easily onto the A49, where the traffic gave us loads of room (wish it was like that every time!!) and over to Condover. We joined Lyons Lane and met 2 farm vehicles, which necessitated us pulling well into the side, 1 tractor pulling a very pointy looking machine, followed by a large Combine Harvester :surrender:.

Phil left me at the Allfield turn, to head home and I continued on to Betton Abbots and back to mine.

7.9 miles at 13.2mph avg (that's near to my average on the Carbon! Not sure I could match it on a long ride though)

Edit:- Forgot to say that the slightly lower handlebar position feels better

Simontm

Veteran
Kind of a tale of two rides today. After a weekend of birthdays and para-athletics was looking forward to the ride today. Unfortunately my novice mate was a bit under the weather so the planned 30m ended up 16m and a beer.
16m 1:10

FullSizeRender.jpg

Not satisfied with this I ended up doing a quick 20m on the old route over to Richmond, Kew, Brentford where I didn't realise there was a cyclist waiting to turn right as I was overtaking a bus so had to jump back in behind the bus. The car behind came up to me and the passenger sing-songingly said: 'Did you pass your cycling proficiency?' I just said: 'Ah, got caught out back there, sorry bout that.' Which I think surprised her. Suspect she wanted an argument...the answer btw is no, I didn't pass the test ^_^;):whistle:
Back through Hampton and into the village where the single lane road out (thanks to parked cars) quite often means cars having to wait as oncoming cars head into the lane to get through. One Cyclist wasn't having this and caused the oncoming driving instructor to brake sharply and the cyclist shouted that the driver didn't have the right of way. :rolleyes:

20m 1:16
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The weather didnt look too promising at 5.15 this morning, but by 10.am it was sunny and warm
20170725_060712.jpg

Went my usual route down the B4404 towards Mach.
20170725_111743.jpg

I found a new little lane to bimble down as well.
20170725_113319.jpg

20170725_113327.jpg

lovely weather today despite nearly being taken out by an old lady reversing out of a parking space at the Dr's surgery, and nearly being run off the road by a delivery driver, who in fact had just delivered a parcel to my home. :laugh:

Fabulous day, great weather and 18 miles done today.

20170725_111316.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
There was a good forecast for today with :sun:, warmth and light winds so I decided to get out for a long ride. I used the Dawes and headed south to Ludlow taking in Condover, Pitchford, Acton Burnell, Folly Bank, Cardington, Wall, over Wenlock Edge via Westhope and Seifton Batch, then down through Culmington and Bromfield before heading in to Ludlow via the bridleway through Oakly Park.

The ride was uneventful apart from having to give way to a few tractors and a combine harvester. The scenery was fabulous with the time of year and in this weather and there were a few other cyclists out and about.

Having reached Ludlow I had a bite to eat with a view at Dinham then did a short lap of the town before heading out again onto one of the quieter roads north.

I may have pressed on a little too hard in the first half of the ride and was finding the hills needed a bit of effort heading north. I got on fairly well though going through Petton (another combine harvester on the way) and Broadstone to my second climb of Wenlock Edge past Wilderhope Manor and into Longville.

Finally I headed past Church Preen School and Kenley back to Acton Burnell passing a two cycling groups and a couple who were attending to a mechanical (I asked if they were okay) as well as a few lone riders.

This is the longest ride to date on my new Brooks. I was very pleased to find it comfortable straight out of the box but this ride has shown that it does still breaking in as it was feeling very firm by the 50 mile mark. As a result the last bit to home wasn't that quick.

Nearing home I knew I wasn't far off a metric century so I went over Lyth Hill to add a little bit to be sure.

A fraction over 63 miles for the day at 13.8 mph average.

DSC0004821.jpg

At the bottom of the Folly Bank climb with Caer Caradoc in the background.

DSC0004824.jpg

Cardington

DSC0004828.jpg

On the lanes after Wall under Heywood.

DSC0004831.jpg

Entering the Oakly Park Estate via the main gate. (The exit was through the pig farm.)

DSC0004832.jpg

Ludlow Castle and the former Mr Underhill's (now up for sale if you've got a spare million or two) by the river.

DSC0004836.jpg

An alternative view including Dinham Bridge, from the bench where I stopped for my sandwich.

DSC0004838.jpg

Very narrow streets in Ludlow.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There was a good forecast for today with :sun:, warmth and light winds so I decided to get out for a long ride. I used the Dawes and headed south to Ludlow taking in Condover, Pitchford, Acton Burnell, Folly Bank, Cardington, Wall, over Wenlock Edge via Westhope and Seifton Batch, then down through Culmington and Bromfield before heading in to Ludlow via the bridleway through Oakly Park.

The ride was uneventful apart from having to give way to a few tractors and a combine harvester. The scenery was fabulous with the time of year and in this weather and there were a few other cyclists out and about.

Having reached Ludlow I had a bite to eat with a view at Dinham then did a short lap of the town before heading out again onto one of the quieter roads north.

I may have pressed on a little too hard in the first half of the ride and was finding the hills needed a bit of effort heading north. I got on fairly well though going through Petton (another combine harvester on the way) and Broadstone to my second climb of Wenlock Edge past Wilderhope Manor and into Longville.

Finally I headed past Church Preen School and Kenley back to Acton Burnell passing a two cycling groups and a couple who were attending to a mechanical (I asked if they were okay) as well as a few lone riders.

This is the longest ride to date on my new Brooks. I was very pleased to find it comfortable straight out of the box but this ride has shown that it does still breaking in as it was feeling very firm by the 50 mile mark. As a result the last bit to home wasn't that quick.

Nearing home I knew I wasn't far off a metric century so I went over Lyth Hill to add a little bit to be sure.

A fraction over 63 miles for the day at 13.8 mph average.

View attachment 364158
At the bottom of the Folly Bank climb with Caer Caradoc in the background.

View attachment 364159
Cardington

View attachment 364160
On the lanes after Wall under Heywood.

View attachment 364161
Entering the Oakly Park Estate via the main gate. (The exit was through the pig farm.)

View attachment 364162
Ludlow Castle and the former Mr Underhill's (now up for sale if you've got a spare million or two) by the river.

View attachment 364163
An alternative view including Dinham Bridge, from the bench where I stopped for my sandwich.

View attachment 364164
Very narrow streets in Ludlow.

I must admit, my brooks is getting better and better. I love it. :okay:

Top Bottom