Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
When I stop work for any period I start to feel lethargic and ill if I don't do anything, so I went out for a quick spin at nine this morning. Sadly I'd missed the glorious sunrise (there used to be a Chinese chippy in Ellesmere Port with that name) but it was still pleasant.

I went down through Dry Drayton and over the A14, the construction machinery sat silently in the mud. The A14 itself was sparsely populated as were all the roads. Into Girton and through the new Eddington development and West Cambridge sites, it was horribly windy here.

I stopped on the bridge over the M11 to take a pic. It's dark at present when I'm here usually, I wasn't aware of how grotty and colourful it's become!

IMG_0020.JPG

It matches my pannier (predictive text wanted to say panties..... I won't tell you about them though!)

So, 13 miles and I feel better for it. Rumour has it that the tandem might get a run out later.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1325196629

Levo-Lon

Guru
Took the new Marin for a shake down ride this morning.
Now all set up after a few miles of seeing what's what.
Nice bike , I just need to change the crap tyres as the performance line jobs are Not much cop.

20171224_120207.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Turned out for my club ride this morning still suffering from the remnants of a chest infection and with a painfully stiff neck .... but the prospect of not getting out on a bike for several more days was just too awful to contemplate. Turned out all the others who showed up were either intermediates or fast boys, or people who could keep up with them. I'd only have held them all up today. So I wished them a Happy Christmas and set off in my own Chilled Group of 1.

The idea was really just to get some more gentle miles in on the flat to get used to the new bike. I set off around the Gloucester suburbs of Tuffley, Upton St.Leonards, Barnwood, Hucclecote and Brockworth before tiring of urban traffic and doing a little rural loop out to Witcombe and Bentham and back. Some of the driving I witnessed today was "average" to say the least. (It's Christmas, so I'm being charitable there).

Once back in Brockworth, my resolution to avoid the hills weakened, and I trudged off up the hill with no name up towards Prinknash and Cranham. When I reached the top of Nut Hill, I just couldn't resist taking on another hill I'd never tried before, so I hung a left and rode a steep but short detour up to the top of Coopers Hill (where they do the cheese rolling, Gloucester's very own nutcase extreme sport). The views were spectacular, but hazy. The Malverns have disappeared somewhere. Did my Christmas good deed by helping out a cyclist who had a flat tyre but no pump.:pump: (Santa, I've been good;)).

Came home again along the Cotswold edge, through Painswick and Stroud, and then back to Frampton on Severn via Eastington and Claypits. Finished the ride with my bread and butter run along the lanes through the Severnside villages. At 42.6 miles, that was twice the length of any previous ride I've done on the new bike. It handled very well and the disc brakes are bedding in nicely. Finished feeling no worse that when I started, and could have added another 20 miles quite easily if I'd felt like it, so it looks like the new bike is going to get a run out on a Metric Century a Month Challenge ride very soon in the New Year.

Enjoy your Christmas rides, everyone. And I can recommend taking up one of the Cyclechat Monthly Challenges next year, if you've never done one before.
Cheers, Donger.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have managed 65 mile in total this week. Today's ride was very windy and the first in daylight. I think it must be an age thing but I was on that Struggle Bus for the first couple of miles despite the wind being behind me.

The lanes around Staffordshire and Shopshire are properly muddy at the moment. Not much wildlife spotted except for a rather nice close up of a small bird of prey.

I can head off to Devon for a couple days of gluttony with a clear conscience!

This weeks days-off are today/tomorrow
No ride today, as had to go shopping, etc.....
Hope to get a ride in the morning, whilst SWMBO & daughter are at the Cathedral
Will report back, if I do
Hopefully Aberford. Lotherton, Saxton, Barkston, Sherburn-in-Elmet area?

Bike selected; CGR (as I knew there'd be damp/mucky roads)
Weather; overcast. quite cold, mainly dry, west wind on the return
Photographs from today (unless captioned otherwise)

Didn't really have as much time as I wanted (until I got home, & found I could have had more)

Down under the M62, at Whitwood, avoiding the diesel patches, smellable though!
Up along Whitwood Common, past Voysey Row & the RIsing Sun
(architect CFA Voysey)
Thursday 24th June 2004

Normanton.Whitwood, Rising Sun 2.JPG Normanton. Whitwood, Rising Sun 1.JPG

Then the short climb to Whitwood Roundabout, where the Mining College was located (now demolished, & houses built)
A drop into Castleford, over the level crossing on Albion Street, past the Burberry sewing factory

Once in the bottom of the town, past the Flour Mill (largest Stone Ground Mill, in the world)
Over Hartleys Bridge (1808), spanning the River Aire
Up the continuation of the Roman Road, here as Barnsdale Road
Over the cross-roads at Allerton Bywater

Up 'Mary Pannall hill'
http://www.castleford.org/history/cas017.html

A right turn onto Back Newton Lane, with the 'roller-coaster' that it brings, by the junction that leads into Ledston
DSCF4140.JPG

Further along, a sweeping left hander, onto Claypit Lane, towards Ledsham
DSCF4141.JPG

Into Ledsham, past the famous (for its 6 day licence, of many years!!) 'Chequers Inn'
Up New Road, opposite, with it's slightly oddly named Hill Top Cottage............... at the bottom
Given the name, any access further up the lane would probably have been to the private estate of Ledston Hall?
(but it is shown in entirety, joining the Great North Road, on a 1908 OS map)

Once the top of this glorious drag, is reached, a right turn takes us under the Great North Road (old A1), then a bridge over the new (m-way standard) A1
On a clear day, the twin-towers of York Minster can be seen, from the bridge
Squires is just through the double s-bends

A call for a cuppa. & a look to see what equipment is there
Not many, but given the day, I guess most of them are under orders, & at home with families?

iPhone photo, so not as good as others
25594275_10213445853773050_8608639479735280325_n.jpg

There was an interesting old Royal Enfield, investigation shows it to possibly be a 1923 model; a 225

After a brew, & natter, to a couple of the bikers there. I usually have a conversation with someone, sometimes about the lightness of the Gran Fondo (to their eyes), or the hydraulic discs of the CGR, it was time to leave

A right out of the pub (as that's what it was, prior to the café moving there), then another right onto Gorse Lane, which always makes me think of the 'Spring Classics' with its rolling nature, broken surface, & generally mud-covered tarmac

Thursday 17th November 2014
Road Trip. Ledsham. 2.JPG

Back round past Steeton Hall Gate-House, & into South Milford
Onto Westfield Lane, then a turning into Lumby

Cross over the A63, just west of the roundabout with the A162 'Tadcaster Turn-Pike', & head towards Fairburn, on the very windswept Rawfield Lane, crossing the 'new' A1 once more
Fairburn is entered via a roundabout at the 'old' (dual-carriagewayed) A1, I well remember the flyover bridge here, with traffic lights on it
Then a very short stretch of the 'Great North Road', that was also a village street, with pubs on it, and the School

Down past the RSPB centre, at Fairburn Ings, heading back towards Allerton Bywater cross-roads

Into Castleford, & home the same way as I entered Castleford, but with a nasty headwind

13 rider

Guru
Had arranged to meet big sis at Nice pie cafe this morning for breakfast as she was picking up the turkey for our Xmas dinner . Out the door at 0830 so 2 hours riding time out up the wreake valley . Anstey ,Cropston ,Cossington ,Ratcliffe ,Thrussington ,Hoby then turned through Frisby and over the A607 to the rolling terrain around Gaddesby so the climbing begins . Little Dalby then Asfordby I really thought my legs were great this morning still averaging 17mph at this point . Up Saxileby hill being early I added a couple of miles to Ab Kettleby then realised why my legs felt great as I turned into the wind I'd had a tail wind so far . The long stretch to the cafe was hard work made the cafe with 5 mins to spare a nicely paced 50km . Just ordering coffee when big sis rolls in with bil and my mum so breakfast ordered while waiting @Supersuperleeds walks in having only done 68 miles at this point:notworthy: nice relaxed breakfast chatting away soon @Supersuperleeds has devoured his lovely looking cake and was on his way . Help sis sort out turkey and pie order :hungry: . Back out and to face the headwind home . Barrow ,Quorn then picked up commuting route home to make a Imperial half century with 50.62 miles in the bag still managed to average 16.2 mph despite the headwind home .
Merry Xmas everyone hope Santa brings you your wishes

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Had arranged to meet big sis at Nice pie cafe this morning for breakfast as she was picking up the turkey for our Xmas dinner . Out the door at 0830 so 2 hours riding time out up the wreake valley . Anstey ,Cropston ,Cossington ,Ratcliffe ,Thrussington ,Hoby then turned through Frisby and over the A607 to the rolling terrain around Gaddesby so the climbing begins . Little Dalby then Asfordby I really thought my legs were great this morning still averaging 17mph at this point . Up Saxileby hill being early I added a couple of miles to Ab Kettleby then realised why my legs felt great as I turned into the wind I'd had a tail wind so far . The long stretch to the cafe was hard work made the cafe with 5 mins to spare a nicely paced 50km . Just ordering coffee when big sis rolls in with bil and my mum so breakfast ordered while waiting @Supersuperleeds walks in having only done 68 miles at this point:notworthy: nice relaxed breakfast chatting away soon @Supersuperleeds has devoured his lovely looking cake and was on his way . Help sis sort out turkey and pie order :hungry: . Back out and to face the headwind home . Barrow ,Quorn then picked up commuting route home to make a Imperial half century with 50.62 miles in the bag still managed to average 16.2 mph despite the headwind home .
Merry Xmas everyone hope Santa brings you your wishes

That cake was bloody lovely, I hope he has some more on Thursday. I went from 16.7mph average to just under 15mph by the time I got home!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
An extended commute home today, hard going with the wind gusting and after my 2nd 12hr night shift. Back tonight and I'm taking the van, it needs a run (that's my excuse).
Mission over the next 3 days off is to get a nice ride in. Looking to be MTB territory with my lad, assuming he's over the cold...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another day, another ride. This might catch on.

After adjusting the seat post and mudguards, as well as putting some frame protectors on to stop cable rub (why don't bikes come with these as standard???), it was out again on the new Giant.

Coal Road led to Red Hall Lane and into the "stiff breeze" (more on this later), and after a wiggle on the A58 onto Whin Moor Lane and the scenic route into Shadwell. Left at the junction and up the hill, down the other side and then the climb up to Slaid Hill lights, where the raggedy road edge tarmac has been patched not very well, leaving a pronounced edge as it meets the original tarmac just where you'd normally like to ride a bike...:rolleyes:
Right at the lights, getting passed by a very serious quartet on two wheels, through the dip and up the other side and onto Tarn Lane where a lovely wind assisted shove sped me on to Ling Lane, then down the gentle slope to the A58 again and a left and down to the lights in Scarcroft. Right again onto Thorner Lane and still dropping down, before crossing the beck and starting the climb up Hell Wood. However by this point the crappy road surface had clearly moved the rear mudguard and it was rattling like a rattly rattle - to the point where I stopped to adjust it.
Back on and up the hill, keeping left onto Milner Lane and more wind assistance between the hedges along the ridge, past Hetchell Woods and on to Holme Farm Lane. Through the woods and as I approached East Rigton the road got muddier and the farmer had clearly been out hedge hacking (it was too messy to call it hedge trimming), so I ended up in the middle of the road trying to avoid the pointy debris scattered everywhere.
Through the dip and up the other side and onto Compton Lane which was a bit muddy but not as bad as it has been, before stopping at the bench for a photo and to tweak that mudguard again..
IMG_20171224_102015993_HDR.jpg

Back on and past the farm and gas plant, making way for a Castelli clad peloton heading the other way who wanted the whole with of the lane and seemed a tad annoyed at having to move over.
Down to the junction and left up the hill between the fields of pigs :mrpig: on Jewitt Lane and really started to feel the less desirable side of the wind, nearly getting unseated passing the first set of gates and really feeling the effect on the deeper profile wheels (compared to the Road Comp) which slowed me a bit. Eventually I dropped out of the wind and then climbed up onto Bramham Lane and right onto another Thorner Lane where I headed back towards Milner lane but now right into the wind and struggling to achieve double figures mph.
Back along Milner Lane, getting buffeted now at every gate and gap, before the welcome shelter of the trees as I dropped down off the ridge the climbed up the rise back into Thorner, stopping next to St Peter's church for a couple of pics:
IMG_20171224_104423901-ANIMATION.gif
IMG_20171224_104536014_BURST002-EFFECTS.jpg

Back on the bike and onto Main Street, where it was oddly blowy (it's normally fairly sheltered) so not fancying riding into the wind up Van Zyl Hill, I headed out of the village on Carr Lane, which although it was still into the wind isn't anywhere near as steep and the lay of the land protects you from some of the weather.
Eventually popped out onto the A58 and after a scoot along there, climbed up Coal Road, across the roundabout and a final wind assisted push along before turning onto local roads down to home with a final loop around the block.

18.92 miles (30.44km) in 1h 31m at an average of 12.5mph with 1,059ft climbed

A fairly mild day, but that wind - listed at 23mph, but with gusts up to 33mph and it felt like every bit of it at times.
Good to get out though, loads of cyclists out getting in pre-Christmas rides no doubt - and an unusually high number of joggers...:scratch:

And to end, a map:
24122017.JPG

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've been a bit tardy in my write-ups recently due to excess busyness at w*rk on the ramp up to Christmas.

Speaking of w*rk, I finished at 01:00 this morning, bed by 02:15, but had prepped everything, including porage, for an 06:00 start. And I actually woke up on time at 05:15!!
I had a route in mind, and set out in the dark, with several lights at each end of the CX.
Within 30 seconds, a car full of Northampton's finest scrotery pulled out of a side turning, fishtailing a la Starsky & Hutch, with the front passenger hanging out of the window shouting something unintelligible, but at least the driver gave me plenty of space. (in fact, he nearly clipped the opposite kerb :laugh:)
At the end of the road, they turned left, my intended route, so I went for Plan B and turned right. As it turned out, that was the only car I saw for the first 15 miles of my ride.
In Harrowden, I somehow lost the silicone strap that held my main light on :unsure:. I caught the light before it fell off, and stopped to search for it for a while. Nope, vanished! Never mind though, I had backup lights. The batteries then ran out. Another stop, and my spare ones were fitted. Light was restored to the villages.. On the way through Burton Latimer, I spotted a corned shop open so thought it prudent to buy a new set of AA's, just in case. Better safe the sorry, thought I.

IMG_4451.jpg

Dawn was breaking by now, and I was on my way out of the top of the town to Weekley where I rode over a chunk of glass and had a festive visit from the p*ncture fairy...

IMG_4454.JPG

I hung my bike on a gate, and fitted a spare tube. Sadly, the valve stem was too short to be able to get the pump onto it, so I had to repair the damaged one. :dry:

Carrying on through Weekly Woods, I had a second visit from the p*ncture fairy :cursing:
Just as I was about to patch up the tube yet again, a chap was riding past in the opposite direction. As he stopped to offer help, I asked if I could try his pump on the short valve stem. Luckily, his pump worked, so within 10 minutes, and a 'Merry Christmas', we parted ways.
Great to have help offered when it's needed!.

Once back on tarmac, I was hoping that I would finish the ride without further issues. The next towns and villages were all local stone buildings and walls. All very pretty. Rothwell, Orton, Loddington and the Draughton, where I dropped onto the Brampton Valley trail to get to Broughton where the farm shop was open to pick up my Christmas Vegetables. The backpack soon had several pounds of carrots, parsnips and a butternut squash, plus an apple to munch on the way home.

I was intending to get my December 100k ride done, but with the delays, and a stiff headwind for the previous 20 miles, I had to curtail it somewhat..

Back home on 52 and a bit miles, just as it started to drizzle, in quite warmish but very windy weather.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1325512320

Happy Christmas folks :santa:

:smile:

I've had two weeks off the bike due to the snow and generally feeling crap whenever I've been riding. So today's ride was the first in a while but adventurously planned to be either 100km or 100miles depending on how I felt.

The route took me toward Nottingham through some of the suburbs to the east to collect the Veloviewer squares round there. The lack of traffic made this quite a good time to attempt it!! I was surprised by how hiĺly some of the land was round there but I guess it was mining territory!!

Headed east to the farm cafe at Bleasby which was running a reduced menu for Xmas eve. The benefit was that I could eschew a bacon sandwich for a tuna one!! Having eaten, I headed north on a 20 mile loop round Southwell. This turned to be very hilly and I started feeling quite unwell. Some lovely climbs and a view of the National Grid training centre....certainly an odd sight. I stopped in the next village for some more food hoping this would help and altered the route to avoid some dead end roads for squares.

The ride toward Newark was lovely passing through some bits I'd last ridden with Kajsa last year. How time flies! Got to the station in Newark having decided that I should give up on the imperial ton, settle for the metric one and a train turned up immediately!

Whilst on the train, I found that the next train to Loughborough was an hour after I arrived in Nottingham. Knowing that even in the headwind, I could probably still beat the train back, I decided to ride home. Stomach still caused me grief but at least I wasn't waiting on the platform for an hour.

Got home at a crawl with 80miles completed toward the festive 500. Wish I'd carried on at Newark as it would be been an easier ride but it wasn't to be!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Up and out for me into a bit of drizzle that soon went, but the nagging wind was ever present.
Through Caldecote, along toward Bourn, but then turning to Kingston, up the 2 little hills that had me panting.
Back down to Toft, pheasants in the road flying left, right and centre!
On to Comberton. A mother Christmas walked down her driveway in a remarkable costume, that made me smile and her blush.
Up Long Road and back to Hardwick. Here is this years life sized nativity

IMG_0027.jpg

As stunning as ever. I'm not sure BT had a phone exchange in Bethlehem in those days......

Anyhow, 12 blustery, mild Christmas Day miles for me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1326392231

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Up and out of the door by 06:00. Hardly a soul about, rode over the M69 and M1 (twice) and saw 10 cars in total on the motorways. Was mild but the wind hasn't half picked up. Home just after 08:00 and everyone was still in bed. 33 mile done, time now for a walk with the missus and then will start cooking the grub. Looks like we'll be eating about 5pm, going to be well and truly sozzled by then :cheers:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1326393217

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I've just had my best Christmas present, a ride on the tandem!

Mrs Dave has had the lurgy all week and couldn't face a ride yesterday, but today we rode into town. Kings parade was full of church goers, Chinese tourists and punt touts, I was surprised!

We took a moving selfie along Sidgewick Avenue
IMG_0029.JPG

Then it was up through Coton and Madingley Hill.

In Hardwick we encountered my second bell end motorist of the day (I decided not to mention the earlier one). What is so bloody difficult about observation, judgement and common sense? He tried to overtake us in a bottle neck and ended up with another car walloping his wing mirror. Festive f*ckwit.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1326616387

Top Bottom