Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
IMG_20171225_125751.png

Yesterday I went out early for my birthday ride [ rode 51kms on my 51st ].

Kept it pretty flat heading out via Filton and then dropping down to Pilning & Aust taking pics of both Severn bridges before a coffee stop in Thornbury for some Welsh cakes. Then back to North Bristol via some very muddy lanes.

IMG_20171224_084217.jpg

IMG_20171224_084233.jpg

I've just had my best Christmas present, a ride on the tandem!

Mrs Dave has had the lurgy all week and couldn't face a ride yesterday, but today we rode into town. Kings parade was full of church goers, Chinese tourists and punt touts, I was surprised!

We took a moving selfie along Sidgewick Avenue
View attachment 388493
Then it was up through Coton and Madingley Hill.

In Hardwick we encountered my second bell end motorist of the day (I decided not to mention the earlier one). What is so bloody difficult about observation, judgement and common sense? He tried to overtake us in a bottle neck and ended up with another car walloping his wing mirror. Festive f*ckwit.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1326616387

Hope you laughed.

50k spin today.

Out in a strong S/W via Sutton and Earth before picking up the busway at Longstanton;then off at Westwick to pick up a tailwind home via Cottenham and Wilburton.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1326663633

Also first chance to use the Isadore 3/4 bibs and This Is Cambridge l/s jersey I got on black Friday deals and both are excellent especially the bibs, so will probably be getting some more of those hopefully in some New Year Sales.

Warning bright colours alert!

Forgot how awesome the Giro Synthe and Oakley glasses combo are
IMG_1571.jpg

Rocking bibs
IMG_1567.jpg

Pink!

IMG_1566.jpg

Old Icarus pressed back in to service;

IMG_1563.jpg

More Pink!
IMG_1565.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet another one reporting in with a Festive 50km ride this morning. I had hoped to be out early but, being a lazy bugger, this turned into a late morning outing following a relaxed coffee & breakfast.

Out via Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne & Waldringfield and across into Ipswich before returning home via Nacton. Quite breezy with some light drizzle , and a surprising amount of traffic, even on the quieter back roads.

Then a further 7 mile round trip in the afternoon to mum's for Christmas dinner

https://www.strava.com/activities/1326977593
Christmas Day.png

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Since we're doing Christmas Day today (the nature of shift work), I took the opportunity when SWMBO asked if I was going out on the bike first thing. Knowing I'm going to be chained to the kitchen for a good few hours (indeed, I type this during a tea break..) I grabbed the Roubaix and headed out to grab a few squares over Ascot direction. Chilly start but soon warmed up going up Prune Hill. Nice and quiet on the way out through Windsor Great Park, and thankfully also quiet on the A322 which is where my missing squares were. Unfortunately the planned loop around the golf club was stopped by some security gates and a buzzer entry system, and not convinced the line ;Can I come in to get some Explorer squares' would have worked... Meant I missed a square, so need to re-think how to get to that one, there is an alternative through the Royal estate...
Back through the park, much, much busier now as the new bikes, scooters etc etc came out.
Flagged down by a regular ICE trike rider who was having issues with his Cateye, so sensors and magnets lined up and all good. My apologies to you too, as I only figured we were looking at ODO on the computer, not Distance which is what you were after.
25.3 miles, so now I can eat many mince pies and Christmas pud:smile::mrpig::mrpig:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Rode the Severn Road Club Boxing day 10 TT this morning. [ It was actually 12 miles ].

A very cold and damp affair with only 9 riders present, which was a little disappointing but I'm sure the weather deterred some riders.

I rode the 12 mile course in 36.10 which gave me the prize for 'closest to evens', which was nice....

IMG_20171226_120759.jpg

Used Ride with GPS for the first time and was very impressed with it....

FB_IMG_1514305487724.jpg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was going to moan about the wind today, but after reading @steveindenmark and his comments.....

It was windy though, and fairly chilly, but the sun was out for the first time in a good while round these parts. I took my Spa tourer with its Schwalbe Marathon plus on the rear wheel. It's like dragging a bloody rock around behind you.

Down through Knapwell and Connington I had a nice tailwind. I passed 2 highland cows, far away from home. At Fenstanton I headed toward Hilton and the headwind started. Out the other side of the village is an oak tree, and I marvelled at how nice it looked, so I stopped to take a pic
IMG_0031.JPG

A buzzard flew from the tree and landed on the verge to my left. I rode by and it stood its ground, for all the world looking like a sawn off Bittern.

Up to Graveley is a bit of road that catches a SW wind. It was character building today! I was cheered with the sighting of a pair of Bullfinch.

Over the A428 and down toward Abbotsley, I was all alone in the sunshine
IMG_0032.JPG

Through the quiet back lanes to Waresley, this time an Ash tree caught my eye
IMG_0034.JPG

Into Great Gransden and there was some sort of tractor rally going on
IMG_0035.JPG

I used to get excited by them, but I'm an extractor fan.

By now my legs that hadn't felt overly keen were starting to flag a little, so I took the shorter route home like the wimp I am!

34 (windy) miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1327754774

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That looks great Dave. I have forgotten what sun looks like.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's Northern Dave's Big Boxing Day Sale - read one ride report, get a second ride report absolutely free! Terms and conditions don't apply.

First up, my Christmas Day ride. Sadly not reported on yesterday but here now it all it's festive glory!
With an hour to fill, it was just a short scoot around local lanes on the Giant. All roads seem to lead to Coal Road lately, then a right onto Skeltons Lane for another wind assisted shove all the way to the end before the bumpy descent of Sandhills into Thorner. It's always lumpy and bumpy but a mile of general downhilliness is always a good thing. Through the village and past the church and I stayed on the main road for a change and climbed Church Hill, which didn't seem too bad today. The reward for all that effort is that the next mile or so is nearly all gently downhill again and most of it was wind assisted, all the way past Bramham Park averaging a mile at over 22mph, which was nice. Into the dip at Wothersome, where the delight of downhill is tempered by the sharpest climb of the ride back out of the other side...:heat:
Normally I'd carry on towards Bramham but with one eye on the clock, I turned sharp left onto Thorner Lane to start the homeward leg of the circuit. Through the next dip and despite the forecast saying it would be dry all morning the heavens opened. Up the other side and it was showing no signs of abating so I stopped to put my waterproof jacket on. I'd barely hopped off the bike before another cyclist loomed into view and asked if I was OK or needed a hand. It's nice when that happens, and even nicer if you don't need the kindly offered help, so he was quickly on his way with a 'Merry Christmas' with me following a minute or so later after wrestling my jacket on in the breeze.
Obviously the third law of cycling dictated that my the time I'd turned onto Milner Lane the downpour had stopped...:rolleyes:
Along Milner Lane past Hetchell Woods and I realised I'd not yet taken a ride photo, so I stopped at the next gate for a pic with the sun trying to get through in the background...
IMG_20171225_110850023_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back on the bike as someone else went past with his new Christmas toy....only his was a Ferrari :rolleyes:
Down the hill and then the short climb into Thorner, a short shift down Main Street and then onto Carr Lane for the climb back out to the A58, getting passed by our Ferrari driving friend again.
A scoot down the A58, up Coal Road and then local roads down to home with a tour around the block to push the mileage on.

14.29 miles (23.0km) in 1h 4m at an average of 13.2mph with 830ft climbed.

A good ride, only a handful of cyclists out though but good to get some exercise in before Christmas dinner

And here's a map:
25122017.JPG

And now for your bonus 'read one, get one free' report from today's ride:

Again time limited, but for a bit of variety I headed towards Barwick Road and hadn't got more than a quarter mile from home before the heavens opened. I'd half suspected rain, so already had my waterproof jacket on but it was also a lot colder than yesterday. I'll admit that it did cross my mind to turn for home at this point, but I stuck it out and as I arrived at Barwick Road it had almost stopped raining.
Down the hill to Cock Beck and the climb up Leeds Road. As I arrived in Scholes I got a gold plated MGIF close pass from a teapot who as soon as they got 20 feet in front of me put the indicator on to turn right into their drive and stopped dead in the middle of the lane...:dry:
Anyway, muppetry aside it was on to the Coronation Tree and the rain started again, so I turned left through the village on Main Street, eventually crossing the old railway bridge and dropping down to the A64 for a full speed blast along to the next junction where I turned off onto Thorner Lane.
The rain was backing off again, so I carried on down Sandhills into the village. As I might have said before, this road is a bit bumpy and by the time I'd descended onto Main Street the rear mudguard was chirruping it's displeasure in no uncertain terms, so I stopped on Carr Lane by the pub for a bit of roadside fettling, followed by a photo:
IMG_20171226_111747477_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back on the bike and I started the climb out of the village but within 100 yards the rear mudguard was at it again (despite being silent after adjusting it when I'd spun the wheel seconds before...:dry: ) so I stopped again outside the former church and had another go.
A couple of passing dog walkers stopped to exchange seasonal pleasantries and commented on how warm my 'boots' (overshoes) looked, which was pretty random.
Back on my way again and with the mudguard much improved (if still not totally silent) up the hill, down through the S-bends and up again to the A58, down to Coal Road and then along before dropping down onto local road to home, with the now obligatory loop around the block to round the mileage up.

10.21 miles (16.43km) in 46m at an average of 13.0 mph with 538ft climbed, in an average temperature of just 2.2°C and a lot of precipitation

One driver and mudguard issues aside, a good (if damp) ride even if it will have barely made a dent in yesterdays calorific intake. ;)
Likely to be my last ride now until the weekend as we've got "stuff to do" Weds and Fri and I'm rota'd in at work on Thursday - although that might not be a bad thing given the forecast!
Now to get on YouTube and see how best to adjust that rear Race Blade Pro to shut it up properly...:laugh:

Oh, and the map:
26122017.JPG

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Madness overtook me and I decided on a ride along the towpath. being about 22 miles short of my target it seemed a good idea.

Everyone else thought the towpath was a nice place to go as well.

There were two trees down just before the railway bridge, I scrambled round one but the second didn't strike me as passable with the bike, so I turned round and bypassed the stretch on the road. While the road was not as muddy it was certainly wet! I'll blame the mud for the slower ride.

Quite a lot of families were out walking,
1.jpg

All ages.

2.jpg

Some puddles were quite big.

3.jpg

Sometimes I do ride along lanes.

4.JPG

5.JPG

19.1 miles max 17 avg 7.4 mph. Year to date, 496.2 miles, Target 500 miles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The Hills have snow and the wind doth blow strongly from the cold North West. I layered up and headed out. The overnight snow and rain had left a very wet legacy. Water, water everywhere. I wondered about the lane to Welland Stone. Would it be flooded? I chanced it and it was. I should have turned back but, what the heck, I rode through. Not quite axle deep but I somehow kept my feet from getting wet using the ratchet pedaling technique. After that it was just big puddles and drivers who, whilst not many, kindly allowed me to go through the shallow bits even if I was on the wrong side of the lane. Across the River at Twyning some snow still lay on the verges but the lanes were just wet and messy. That wind hindered me all the way back from Strensham and I was glad to get home as it was a strength sapping blast and the sun was diving down behind the Hills too allowing the temperature to drop. 35 smiles and the turkey fought back a bit......

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 5093880, member: 9609"]Toughest ride for some time, 44 mile but it took me just over 6 hours, serious amount of water ice on the roads, we had a lot of rain a few days ago and it has been running out of the fields and freezing over the roads. and it was one cold ride, +1 when I set off and -3 when I got back.
View attachment 388738 View attachment 388739 View attachment 388740 View attachment 388741 View attachment 388742
View attachment 388744
View attachment 388743
View attachment 388745

But what a beautiful day to be out.

I wish I could have captured some of the after dark riding - what an absolute joy to ride white ice roads at night, all those sparkling diamonds glinting back and the wonderful gentle crunching of the frost under the wheels - it was sad to see my van and be at the end of my ride.[/QUOTE]
Just wonderful. Me jealous? What tyres work on those icy roads?

Top Bottom