Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My first ride for nearly three weeks today but not the one planned. The plan was to ride across town to meet up with @Pale Rider for a bit of a jaunt but looking out first thing it was clear that every untreated surface had a good layer of ice on it.

After discussion we decided to play it safe and called off the meet up, however I'd already got the bike out and fitted the Marathon Wiinters so headed out to try out the conditions.

I headed over Lyth Hill and out in the direction of Longnor then Acton Burnell. It didn't take long to realise that calling off the planned ride was the right decision as every ungritted road was like a skating rink and would have been no fun on plain tyres. The studded ones coped brilliantly though and I was able to scoot along nicely at around 15 mph on surfaces I could barely stand on.

At Acton Burnell I decided to extend the ride and headed for Cound Moor, Harnage and Cound, getting odd looks from people walking.

By the time I got back to Condover the sunshine was melting the ice quite nicely but anywhere sheltered was still frozen hard and will probably stay like that all day now.

25miles for the trip at 11.7 mph average.

DSC0005684.jpg

A bright crisp winter day at Lyth Hill. The frozen road surface is obvious in this pic but wasn't everywhere.

DSC0005688.jpg

At the crossroads near Longnor. A good covering of snow on the hills.

DSC0005690.jpg

The light just caught the black ice here and made it show up nicely for the camera (basically, everything shiny in shot is ice). It was like this for a lot of the ride.

DSC0005691.jpg

Just a bit of snow visible among the trees on the Wrekin.

DSC0005692.jpg

I think it's possible this road is closed.:whistle: Someone demolished the cast iron railings on the bridge during the last lot of snow.
I nearly got caught out while walking over to have a look, having assumed the sun would have melted the ice.

Last edited:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I unexpectedly found myself off work on Christmas day, so headed out for a quick one round the Eden Valley, via Beacon Edge, Langwathby, Melmerby, Renwick and Lazonby. The clouds were swirling around the Pennines, looking like they were about to dump a load of snow, which they did in time for Boxing day, and the rain eased off enough for me to think about heading over Hartside Pass towards Alston...I'm glad I passed on that one! As I headed through Lazonby towards Inglewood Forest, the rain returned and didn't let up for the rest of the day! I thought , well I'm already wet so at least I can't get any wetter as I headed through the lanes towards Little Blencow and Greystoke , arriving at the Boot & Shoe just as it closed (sob!). Then back to Penrith via Newbiggin and Stainton, passing lots of rather bedraggled looking sheep on the way!:rain: Low 40s mileage wise, not bad for an afternoon and the roads were pretty quiet as well:dance:
Then yesterday it was clear, cold and icy, with some nasty little patches lying in wait just outside Culgaith (nice coffee and ginger cake in Mrs Miller's) but cracking views of snowcovered fells. I retraced my steps back to Langwathby and the A686, then on to work via Eamont Bridge, Yanwath and Pooley Bridge , avoiding any dancing on ice outside the Rheged Centre carpark!:cold: Take it easy and ride safe:okay:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
We needed a little shopping and I wanted some new frying pans out of my Xmas money...so a slightly sub 10 miles on the hybrid through Ferry Meadows and into Bretton. Fabulous and sunny, icy but in a nice way, just needed to tread (ride) carefully.

A green woodpecker, a greater spotted one too as I skirted Milton Estate woods, loads of waterfowl in Ferry Meadows.

A short, utility, sunny ride. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I've just come back from an excellent ride. Thetford Forest didn't happen as Stuart had an injury, so to save on diesel I rode from home. I took my mtb as the roads were a touch slippery!
I crunched and cracked my way through the village and on to the fields where I crunched and cracked some more. It was tough going. I avoided the swamp by Hardwick wood by going along the horse paddocks. Then I took the bridleway to Bourn. The dogwood in the hedge looking good
IMG_0037.JPG

I then took another specimen tree pic, a nice old Oak
IMG_0039.JPG

It looked like a fat bike had been through at some point.

Down through Bourn and on to the byway to the Red House. This was super tough going. I was down to 3 mph in places. I slithered and slid my way through to more firm ground. Across the A1198, ending up in Hayley Wood
IMG_0045.JPG

There were some nice puddles about with isobars in them
IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

My bike stayed pretty clean throughout the ride thanks to the freezing conditions.

Out of the woods and a short stretch on tarmac before the next stretch of bridleway. I was hungry, so stopped for a chocolate biscuit. I'd only gone 10 miles and I was done in!
IMG_0048.JPG

The next bit was icy with huge puddles. I avoided most of them
IMG_0050.JPG

Over to Hatley St George, Croydon and Arrington before..... you've guessed it

IMG_0052.JPG

All roads lead to Wimpole!

It looks quiet, but around the car park was heaving. I left them to it and slithered up the hill behind the farm before flying down into Little Eversden.

Home via the roads as I couldn't be bothered washing my cleanish bike.

I only saw one other cyclist out today. Wimps!

Mrs Dave commented on my mucky face, so I used my phone camera to look, it was the sunbeams through the window that made me take the pic, not the ugly git!
IMG_0054.JPG

Almost 28 miles of tough, chilly conditions. Excellent!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1330293607

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
My ride and pictures from yesterday afternoon.
I took the bike to take a returns parcel to a local store, thinking that I might stay out for a short ride but it was so lovely, fresh and bright, that I just had to keep going, despite the freezing temperature. It was a good time to go because there was very little traffic or even other people on the shared paths.
I chose a regular 20 mile ish route down the A580 path towards Leigh where I went left through Culcheth and Glazebury, left again onto the A57 back towards Eccles where I had to satisfy my curiosity and went on the brand new road and bridge over the ship canal.

A cute baby alpaca. I go past here regularly but couldn't resist stopping for this one.
IMG_20171227_153004097_HDR.jpg

You can see where the bridge will close to be raised when a ship needs to pass and the M60 bridge on the right. The new road is meant to be used by local traffic to reduce congestion for the through traffic on the M60 (we'll see)
IMG_20171227_161847911.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Today was supposed to be a forum ride with @13 rider @Lilliburlero and @tallliman but the ice forced a postponement . So I decided to get on the ice bike and go for a pootle to keep the Festive 500 challenge going.

Headed out just after 8am and decided to head south to Gilmorton, was very icy and once I got passed Peatling Parva I felt like I was in an episode of Ice Road Truckers, great fun on the studded tyres.

Back into Leicester and heading towards the Great Central Way hit a slight flood :rolleyes: I misread the depth, straight through the ice and up passed the crank I went, decided I couldn't turn round so just went through it. Luckily my feet kept reasonably dry but they were cold for a while after that. Onto the GCW and the fields either side are flooded, Braunstone Lane East was flooded as well. Into town and I have to divert around Ellis Meadows (near the space centre) as that is flooded, same again at Watermead, couldn't even get into that park!

Slow drag through Sileby up to Seagrave, hard work on the studs but by now the ice was pretty scarce, until I got onto Berrycott Lane which is another nice steady climb, this road was very very icy, but again the studs were brilliant. By the time I got into Nice Pie I had done 41 miles and had the place to myself. Quick latte and piece of fruit cake and I'm heading up the drive to tackle the headwind home when I see @13 rider coming down the drive having done 50km himself.

I'm in the doghouse with the missus so couldn't go back into the tea rooms so we had a quick chat in the drive. Rather than doing the downhill part of Berrycott on the sheet ice I decided to head to Barrow before going through town and home.

By the time I got home I'd done 67 miles and have 49 left to do before the end of Sunday to complete the Festive 500, back to work tomorrow :sad:

I think that is the longest ride I've done on the studs, hard work as reflected by the average speed of 13.3mph

https://www.strava.com/activities/1330399214

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My first ride for nearly three weeks today but not the one planned. The plan was to ride across town to meet up with @Pale Rider for a bit of a jaunt but looking out first thing it was clear that every untreated surface had a good layer of ice on it.

After discussion we decided to play it safe and called off the meet up, however I'd already got the bike out and fitted the Marathon Wiinters so headed out to try out the conditions.

I headed over Lyth Hill and out in the direction of Longnor then Acton Burnell. It didn't take long to realise that calling off the planned ride was the right decision as every ungritted road was like a skating rink and would have been no fun on plain tyres. The studded ones coped brilliantly though and I was able to scoot along nicely at around 15 mph on surfaces I could barely stand on.

At Acton Burnell I decided to extend the ride and headed for Cound Moor, Harnage and Cound, getting odd looks from people walking.

By the time I got back to Condover the sunshine was melting the ice quite nicely but anywhere sheltered was still frozen hard and will probably stay like that all day now.

25miles for the trip at 11.7 mph average.

View attachment 388795
A bright crisp winter day at Lyth Hill. The frozen road surface is obvious in this pic but wasn't everywhere.

View attachment 388796
At the crossroads near Longnor. A good covering of snow on the hills.

View attachment 388797

The light just caught the black ice here and made it show up nicely for the camera (basically, everything shiny in shot is ice). It was like this for a lot of the ride.

View attachment 388798
Just a bit of snow visible among the trees on the Wrekin.

View attachment 388799
I think it's possible this road is closed.:whistle: Someone demolished the cast iron railings on the bridge during the last lot of snow.
I nearly got caught out while walking over to have a look, having assumed the sun would have melted the ice.

Good effort getting out today Phil, studded tyres or not.

It does take some believing how they enable you to ride on surfaces that are barely walkable.

Rather than wrong trousers, it was a case of wrong bicycle for me as I left my bike with the studded tyres on 200 miles away at home.

Looks like it got a bit warmer than forecast today, and may barely freeze overnight.

Some rain forecast, so I think we will be OK tomorrow, apart from probably getting wet, but that's preferable to a tumble.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It does sound more promising for tomorrow. Fingers crossed.:okay:

Leaway2

Lycrist
My ride and pictures from yesterday afternoon.
I took the bike to take a returns parcel to a local store, thinking that I might stay out for a short ride but it was so lovely, fresh and bright, that I just had to keep going, despite the freezing temperature. It was a good time to go because there was very little traffic or even other people on the shared paths.
I chose a regular 20 mile ish route down the A580 path towards Leigh where I went left through Culcheth and Glazebury, left again onto the A57 back towards Eccles where I had to satisfy my curiosity and went on the brand new road and bridge over the ship canal.

A cute baby alpaca. I go past here regularly but couldn't resist stopping for this one. View attachment 388821

You can see where the bridge will close to be raised when a ship needs to pass and the M60 bridge on the right. The new road is meant to be used by local traffic to reduce congestion for the through traffic on the M60 (we'll see)
View attachment 388825
I passed the bridge on Monday on the way to my Mum's house and noticed it was finally open. I will probably use this to cut out (most of ) the Trafford centre.

13 rider

Guru
As @Supersuperleeds had mentioned earlier our forum 100 miler was postponed as it was an early start 0715 for me and it was silly icey so we made the call and abandon it . I hung about till 0915 when I saw a gritter Pass my house so out the door at 0930 to see what it was like . Through Newtown cautiously on the downhill as I knew there would be water/ice at the bottom navigated my way through on the wrong side of the road up Sharpley hill and onto Benscliffe road this was the worst bit as in the shade of the trees there was plenty of ice and slush at least I could see it at 730 it would have been pitch black along here .Took this road all the way to Shepshed instead of my back road . Once I got to Shepshed the ice began to vanish as it was warming up and they appeared to be less effected in the first place . Hathern ,Sutton Bonnington ,Kingston on Soar ,Gotham ,Costock ,Keyworth ,Willoughby on the Wolds then on to Nice pie cafe as @Supersuperleeds is walking up the drive he couldn't stop so saved me buying him a coffee :tongue: .sat in the window in glorious winter sunshine consuming beans on toast and coffee:hungry: .Back out and the ice is not a problem and :sun:makes it feel nice so making the route up as I go a metric century is now the target .Burton on the Wolds,Barrow ,Quorn ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston ,Anstey had to do a bit of a loop in the village to get the distance back home 62.5 miles in the bag . Just about keeps me in the festive 500 couple of big rides required over the weekend 118 miles still to do . Working tomorrow and forecast probally means car to work :sad:. Nice ride but still at risky early on took a bit of a chance . Completely the right decision to call off the 100 miler if annoying but we all wouldn't have made it round without incident just to risky . Stay safe every one

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 5094657, member: 9609"]just normal tyres (28mm, armidiilo front marathon plus rear) I ride slowly and concentrate a lot,, very quite roads though (may be only seen 8 cars in the 40 mile) so able to pick my own line. I dismount and get off the road every time I see a car coming when the roads are icy, drivers just seem clueless.

I did see three cars that had not made it, one upside down in a field, one in a hedge and a beautiful 67 plate range rover on its side in a ditch. No amount of technology can out do the laws of physics.[/QUOTE]
This used to be the thing in one of my old workplaces (accident management for company fleets). On a snowy morning you could guarantee that the first two calls of the day would involve a Subaru Impreza and/or a Land Rover Discovery on their roof in a field.:laugh: It doesn't matter if you've got four wheel drive - that doesn't mean you can still do 60 down a country lane in the snow.:rolleyes:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Back on the commute this morning. The weather bods reckoned it was going to be 4 degrees C and wet at 0500hrs this morning, and they were right. It was wet, it was cold, it was windy. I discovered ice is slippery after I auto-piloted round the back roads instead of sticking to the main roads. The cycle path along the Bath Road was slippy too. A steady commute in, I think the way home will be wet, but hopefully all the ice will be long gone by then.

Top Bottom