Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A lovely late afternoon for a quick ride out to Cawood & Back. 20.5 miles with an average of 17.3 mph. Photo between Biggin & Little Fenton.
7DE54346-8D46-4DC9-821A-ECC2A2EF85FC.jpeg

Took the sister in law out again for an uppey-downey ride through the local lanes to help her recover from a running induced knee injury at her request and I was only too happy to oblige!

Slightly quicker than Sunday and she even managed a top 10 placing on a strava segment! She was very apologetic for her abilities (or self perceived lack of them) but she’s a lot stronger than she gives herself credit for! She annihilated Markfield hill!

Did an 11.7 mile loop from hers plus riding there and back- uphill there, down hill return, taking my
miles to 22 for today.

Last one now til next week, having a rest.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1618992557

Check out Gentle with Gemma pt 2 - The Markfield Big Dipper on Relive! https://www.relive.cc/view/1618992557

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
A quick after-work loop up a narrow and steep lane onto the Cotswold escarpment and then back down the newly re-surfaced main road and home. Just ten miles. But a good work out. This was the same ride I did a couple of weeks back when I had to pause half way up to let the heart rate slow. This time I took it much easier from the off and managed to get all the way up without stopping - although the last twenty or thirty metres was hard. Weirdly the computer said that this evening's total ascent was 690 feet and a max grade of 16.9%, whereas last time the total ascent was 790 feet and max grade was 24.7%. Big difference and I've no idea why. Makes me wonder how often the computer is wrong.

Here's the view from the top of the hill looking over to some other hills in the deep dark Dean.

View From The Top.jpg

On seeing a sportive that I could reach from home, decided to enter, this was the Evans Ride it Woking (which despite the name actually started from Chobham)
85 miles was the long option, and there was approx 10 mile journey to and from Chobham.

Won't go into the long course but left home at 7.35, was underway at 8.50, won;t go into details of the course, but it was rather lumpy without any killer hills, furthest point reached was Selborne I also lost track of the navigation signs and briefly ended up in Alton, needless to say I had to go back up a hill to regain the course.

As is often the way the later stages legs etc are complaining, but finished the course and did not stop for long before returning home

https://www.strava.com/activities/1614846174

109.6 miles @ ave moving speed of 15.0 mph

4518 feet climbed
Pic of the event
Wokings_smaller-332.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a few nights of commuting it was almost nice to get out for a 'me' ride. Motivation was low but once I got going I perked up a bit. Pretty chilly it was, and I had arm warmers and gilet on the whole ride.
Nothing too fancy, a quick spin out to Chobham, through Windlesham, Ascot then WGP to home.
34 miles, and back to the commute tonight.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
June and time for a new Imperial Century Challenge ride. I'd thought long and hard about what route I want to do this month then, for various reasons, deciding to do the ride today meant a rethink at short notice so the route I actually did was a variation of the one I did for my April challenge ride.

I set my alarm for 6.30 intending on a later start than usual but my body clock woke me at 5.30 so I was up and about in good time to be on the road for seven and heading south to Acton Burnell and Cardington. It was busier out on the roads than I've been used to at this time of the morning, and there was a little impatience on display from some. The weather was fabulous: sunny, light winds, although a little on the cool side at the start. I toyed with the idea of taking a fleece but knew that it wouldn't be long before I took it off, then it's just extra luggage.

Reaching Cardington I turned north again towards Hughley, skirting close to Harley and taking a meandering route through Harnage Grange to Cressage. I took the quiet lane to Wroxeter and for a change rode to Atcham (I don't normally from this direction) and on the way disturbed a buzzard that had been sat at the side of the road, causing it to take off and fly along the road just three feet ahead of me until it had enough momentum to soar up to the height of the hedge and wheel away to the right. Wonderful! They aren't half big close up!

Atcham, Upton Magna, Withington and High Ercall came and went without incident. At Heath Lanes I came round a corner to find a car being backed into the road which was followed by a very english standoff (You go first. No, you go first :laugh:). Immediately after that I overtook a chap on a nice new looking recumbent trike (a Hase I think).

I can't recall exactly where but somewhere around here I almost collided with a pheasant which ran across the road in front of me then decided to double back :wacko:. Stupid creature!

Between Eaton upon Tern and Ollerton I caught another cyclist who called out "give us a tow"^_^ I was quite surprised at how many other cyclists there were out today. They all picked the right day though.:okay:

I paused for a bite to eat by the church at Stoke on Tern then proceeded into Market Drayton and took a different route through town including a climb I'd usually avoid as there are easier roads, but which turned out not to be too bad after all (seems steeper going down it).

Another slightly circuituous route followed through Longford, Longslow, Calverhall and Ightfield then I was headed west to Prees and had a good run on the way. There is a junction I had to cross which has poor visibility due to the vegitation that's grown up and I started my dash across just as a car came into view.:rolleyes: This happened twice more later on at other junctions with limited visibilty - my timing is obviously not good today.

From Prees I had a really good run through Whixall and Northwood. I paused to eat my lunch on the canal bridge at Hampton Bank then carried on to Welshampton, Coptiviney and into Ellesmere where I didn't bother going to look at The Mere this time. At this point I knew that I could have just taken the most direct route home and got my 100 miles, however I was feeling pretty good and decided to go an alternative way to Rednall, West Felton, Woolston, Maesbrook, The Royal Hill, Pentre and Great Ness (rejoining the shorter route here) before finishing off through Montford Bridge, Bicton, Shelton, Meole Brace and home.

This all went pretty smoothly. I paused for another bite to eat at Melverley Green and watched the tractors going by (frantic activity harvesting hay). There are a couple of hills after Pentre and Montford Bridge and I was a little slow up these but not nearly as bad as I've been on some challenge rides.

While using the cycle path not too far from home I caught and overtook a youngster who was on the opposite side of the road. As I passed I heard a frantic changing of gears and looked across to find him sprinting after me. Made me smile.

A fraction over 112 miles today (I had to ride past the house then back again to round it up:shy:) at 14.2 mph average.

DSC0006443.jpg

Acton Burnell early on in the ride.

DSC0006445.jpg

At St Peter's, Stoke on Tern where I had my elevenses stop.

DSC0006448.jpg

Last time I was here the elephant grass had just been harvested. It's taking its time but the new growth is well under way and later in the summer it'll be 8 feet tall (as shown here)

DSC0006451.jpg

Market Drayton.

DSC0006452.jpg

Taken at a quick drink stop on the way to Calverhall. Mainly because I couldn't get over the look of that sky.

DSC0006453.jpg

Calverhall.

DSC0006457.jpg

Lunch stop overlooking the Shropshire Union Canal at Hampton Bank.

DSC0006459.jpg

Ellesmere. This road is closed off for work but there was plenty of room to walk the bike past.:okay:

DSC0006460.jpg

Just dropping in on my financial adviser.:whistle:

DSC0006461.jpg

View to the Breidden on my way to The Royal Hill

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An evening ride on the tandem. We were heading to Histon and the Red Lion pub.
Once there we had a pint of Tring ale each and shared some whitebait and squid.
We then set off for home via Girton, here's the church

IMG_0015.JPG

We then went via the new suburb of Eddington and its lovely wildflower verges

IMG_0017.JPG

Through the West Cambridge site, taking the tandem down a tight, downhill zigzag path.
In Coton someone needed the loo, so I had a pint. The bike waited patiently
IMG_0023.JPG

Up Madingley hill, we were overtaken by two commuters, we got back past them before the roundabout.

16 miles in warm sunshine.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1621634749

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Left it late tonight for it to cool down a bit before heading out at 7.00pm around the lanes of Gloucestershire. Our local canal bridge is closed for repair, so I had to divert to cross the canal at the Sims Lane bridge and ride along the gravel tow path. The bridge is going to be closed until the 15th June, so it messes with my bread and butter 20 mile ride.
h.JPG

The bonus is that the next mile or so along the lane was totally quiet, with not a vehicle to be seen. I ambled along the banks of the Severn at Stonebench and again at Epney, before re-crossing the canal at Saul Junction and turning around at Splatt Bridge on the canal at the far end of Frampton on Severn. On my way back through Frampton, I stopped at one of the village ponds to see whether the swan family were about. They were nowhere to be seen, but the water lillies are starting to flower now.
j.JPG

Headed back home via Epney, then took Castle Lane back to the A38 to see if I could catch sight of the deer that my clubmates had spotted a couple of weeks back (I've seen plenty near the Cotswold edge, but I've never known any to find their way onto the strip of land between the Severn and the canal, as that means somehow crossing both the M5 motorway and the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal). No deer sighting, but nice to take a different route for a change.
20.2 more miles done.
Cheers, Donger.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
For the June Imperial Century a Month ride I headed for somewhere new, the Clent Hills south-west of Birmingham. New on a bike, that is - I've passed through on the motorway innumerable times, looking up and thinking "There's somewhere I must go."

A warm-up on the good old A38 to just south of Worcester, then a loop out to Great Martley, before re-crossing the river at Stourport and ascending the Clents. Having seen hardly any cyclists, suddenly there were loads, all seemingly magnetically attracted to pubs. They were of course assembling for the start of their rides - I'd forgotten how early I'd started!

At the summit, I found that the pass has an official name. Not quite Hardknott, but there are several sections over 10% and locally it seems to be quite a respected climb:

Kenelms2.JPG

There was now a fairly arduous section through the uplands towards the neighbouring Lickey Hills. The views to Birmingham would have been more rewarding on a clearer day, but worth recording:

Birmingham3.JPG

Birmingham2.JPG

I was targeting the specific distance of 131 miles, the lowest number I didn't yet have on a GPS-recorded ride. Reaching the top of the final steep climb over the Lickeys I was momentarily overcome by the sight of a road name - Twatling Hill - and failed to register that I wanted to go that way. So couple of hundred yards I really didn't want, but I managed to get it right in the end.

Next there was a long section of dreamy downhill through Tardebigge, of canal fame, before I started to find myself amongst roads I've ridden before. Here is a rather upmarket-looking pub/restaurant in the village of Hanbury, between Alcester and Droitwich. I don't think I ever met the guy online, but I know many did, and when this place comes into view it always makes me smile:

Vernon2.JPG

Shortly afterwards I'd picked out a "new" road with a couple of fords. In both cases, finding the path to the footbridge was far from easy. My attempt at a photograph isn't great, but here it is anyway:

Broughton.JPG

The bridge was too narrow to stand beside the bike, and there was a wheel-sized gap between the planks right in the centre, just visible. But I made it across.

I re-crossed the river and my outward route at Upton, after which I always feel I'm on the home stretch. For the first time in a while, it really felt as though the legs would go on for ever, and I thoroughly enjoyed the final stretch. I hit my target on the nose with 131.67 miles - no need to cheat by stopping the GPS early. :smile:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
WAR!!!

I took a short pootle to the atm this morning as Erin had nicked my last fiver for a school trip.
No issues during my ride through the park and past her school. But coming back? Different story.
As I was nearing this mini roundabout one of our favourite driver types (a taxi driver) felt the need for a mgif and almost clipped my front wheel as he pulled in behind the car in front of me. I had been in primary for the last 50 ft or so. I braked hard and swung in behind him and waited. But then I saw red. Why should I let him get away with that? I shouldn't!
Straight away I passed him on the inside and parked dead in front of him as we waited to cross the junction. I stayed in front all the way to the next set of traffic lights.
As I got there they were turning green and 2 cars in front were waiting to turn right onto Moss Bank Way and so I patiently waited till they were clear before going straight across to go through the park. At this section one can choose to indicate left and go through the park or follow the road around to the right and proceed along Moss Lane. I indicated very clearly as I always take primary here to reduce the chances of crap passing.
Mr Taxi driver then snuck up my inside close and at speed and right hooked me to go along Moss Lane. I braked veeeery hard and was now fuming. That bas***d nearly scratched my bike! How dare he!!!
My personal safety was pushed to one side and I gave chase.

laser-eyes.jpg

Giving it everything I was barely hanging onto his sight when the god of hell fire took pity on me and told him to turn right down Forest Road. I'd get the barsteward at his pickup I thought.
As I rode along I saw him up ahead and he was doing a 3 point turn heading back towards me. As I got closer he looked to be trying to get around me and I really started losing my temper with him. My hard as fork northern Spa and I played chicken with him and he and I both slammed our brakes on stopping inches from each other. Not the wisest of decisions but I was fuming and not thinking clearly.
"WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU PLAYING AT!"
Couldn't hear his reply. I rode around to the passenger side.
"That's twice now that you've passed me like a f***ing nob. What's the problem???"
His reply was a mixture of broken English that I couldn't understand and arms waving about.
A minute or so of me swearing and yelling at him and he trying to answer and we were getting no where.
I finished by telling him to go back to driving school and rode off with my heart pounding.
I took it easy going past the park and up Cinder Lane to home as I could feel my glucose levels dropping.
My best friend from when we were school kids popped in for a brew and I was telling him my tale. He was in hysterics as he remembers all too well what a bad tempered bugger I was when growing up. Not much has changed it seems :smile:

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
I was going to Otley.I had to talk myself in to going out.There seems to be a block in my head saying naw you are not going to like it.So off i go,the scenic way Eccup Res,and down towards Bramhope,well i did not feel right so i turned off and headed towards Headingley,i found myself outside an Ice Cream Parlour,how did that happen.What a great idea,sometimes it's not always about the bike and ride.So i got myself a Banoffee waffle,oh my word it was big what a super portion toffee sauce and a big dollop of ice cream eaten with a knife and fork.It was brilliant ,i finished off with a latte.The sun shone warm on my back as i tootled home at 13-00,15 miles,no pressure no time keeping,a very nice tootle out,sometime things are better when not planned.Sat here very happy.

Top Bottom