Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A quick spin using the Raleigh on a regular route this morning before it got too warm. I went: Shrewsbury, Montford Bridge, Great Ness, Melverley. Prince's Oak, Halfway House, Westbury, Nox, Exfords Green, Condover and home.

As hoped there was less traffic about with the schools off but unfortunately what traffic there was included a lot of people being silly: some close passes, blatant speeding and daft overtakes. It did settle down when I got onto the quieter road to Great Ness and after that was a very enjoyable ride.

We're back to a westerley wind today which felt like it was slowing progress on the way to Melverley but then it was helping on the way back and I just seemed to get faster as the ride went along. Westbury to Nox is a stretch I nearly always enjoy, having a slight downhill trend for a good three miles, and today was one of the good days, cruising above 20mph for most of it and topping 30 into one of the dips.^_^

I overtook a guy in club kit on the way to Lea Cross and the bit through Exfords Green where I usually struggle to maintain a good speed seemed to be no problem today so I assumed I had a really good tailwind. The Met Office says not though and shows it as just 5mph.:blink:

34.8 miles this trip at 16.3 mph average which I'm really chuffed with. The Raleigh hasn't been out for a couple of weeks and has just given me a good reminder of why I like it.

No photos as the only stops were for drinks this time.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
No pictures unfortunately but I went back to the folks who helped save my bacon two weeks ago when my front tire wall got shredded and i ended up slamming into some iron railings due to loss of control. Even though I did ended up walking 7miles in the blazing heat in MTB SPD shoes that have almost zero flex across some nasty hard gravelly uneven towpaths, I promised them that I would come back and donate them a bicycle pump to them as they one they had was faulty.

They are The Canal & Riverside Trust -- If it wasnt for them refilling my water bottles that day, I would of most certainly collapsed from dehydration or heat exhaustion.

Much love and thanks to Phil and Katy @TheCanal&RiversideTrust just past Victoria Park.

His face just lit up when he recognised me and I handed him the track pump. I really made his day, Hopefully it will make other peoples days too should they ever end up in almost the same dire situation as me. though hopefully not!

No more spare inners, No more spare CO2 canisters, A phone with no life left in it and almost no water. (and a 7 mile walk in blazing heat) -- What a nightmare

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
No pictures unfortunately but I went back to the folks who helped save my bacon two weeks ago when my front tire wall got shredded and i ended up slamming into some iron railings due to loss of control. Even though I did ended up walking 7miles in the blazing heat in MTB SPD shoes that have almost zero flex across some nasty hard gravelly uneven towpaths, I promised them that I would come back and donate them a bicycle pump to them as they one they had was faulty.

They are The Canal & Riverside Trust -- If it wasnt for them refilling my water bottles that day, I would of most certainly collapsed from dehydration or heat exhaustion.

Much love and thanks to Phil and Katy @TheCanal&RiversideTrust just past Victoria Park.

His face just lit up when he recognised me and I handed him the track pump. I really made his day, Hopefully it will make other peoples days too should they ever end up in almost the same dire situation as me. though hopefully not!

No more spare inners, No more spare CO2 canisters, A phone with no life left in it and almost no water. (and a 7 mile walk in blazing heat) -- What a nightmare

Good karma, and 10/10 for keeping your word:okay:

Bike selected; CGR, as there would be some bridleways, cycle-ways & possibly dusty/rough climbs
Weather; rather warm, overcast, & a slight headwind
Photographs from today; unless dated otherwise
Geograph used, to illustrate pointsconcrete plant

I hope that this entertained/educated(?) at least one person??
If so, it was worth my while typing it out

Going by the 20 'Likes', I must be doing something right:scratch:

I have a few days-off in early August, so intend a few rides, anyone want to read about them:blush:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
B290B694-EE66-4887-A0D4-E025CE2693D0.jpeg
5635E4D2-71DB-4B29-A79E-FFFF8EB1FFFD.jpeg

A really ‘muggy’ home commute tonight. An extended route via Naburn, Barkston Ash & Saxton.
32.8 miles in total with an average of 16mph.

Last edited:

Chapeau!!! :notworthy: :hugs: :thumbsup:

colly

Re member eR
Two rides out for me today. Each of around 15 or so miles. I didn't bother with the Garmin or any faffing about. Just got on the bike and went where I felt like.
One ride was down past Warkworth and Amble from Alnmouth this morning before breakfast. This afternoon was up past Boulmer to Craster. (of crab fame)

I did take a couple of photos but they are so rubbish I'll not inflct them upon you.:sad:

“Gentle with Gemma pt 6” was the order of the day today although it has to be said that anyone else brave/silly (delete as appropriate) enough going out in this heat deserves a big kudos! This was my recovery ride of sorts where I rode to the pace of my sister in law and there was NO danger of speeding and having brushes with the law this time! :whistle:

We were on a tight timeframe so I made my way at half past 5 up some of the busiest roads at the busiest time to get to her house.

It’s always arse about face when we go from hers as she lives on the crest of a hill and so we started with a descent down Copt Oak Road towards Loughborough, turning off before we hit the outskirts. The road surface was sticky again and the sweat/ sun cream mix was slowly irritating my eyes but after a quick wipe and a drink I was ok. A left turn and a mile-and-a-bit flat along Charley Rd soon gave way to the first climb at Oaks in Charnwood, then crossing over abbey rd and rolling towards the top of whitwick where I got her doing a few intervals. A right turn at the cusp of Whitwick made for a very quick descent which she enjoyed greatly but not the sudden left turn at the bottom into a narrow junction where she almost got closely acquainted with a bush..... another mile or so of rolling and intervals followed then I decided to go easy on her, with the exception of the climb back into Whitwick- short but very punchy and her sweating and panting at the top was enough for me to know I’d done a good job!

Instead of the long slog up Leicester Rd out of Whitwick I took her up Hall Lane instead towards Coalville which is one of the more gentle ups out of this village. A quick tootle around the Coalville bypass was next and the roads were scarily quiet by this time. Some clever Herbert thought it would be wise at the exit of a roundabout to pass me and then turn left straight in front of me (I was going straight on) so that I almost T-Boned him! After a couple of expletives and a choice hand signal we finished off the ride through an industrial estate and back uphill towards hers.

Had a quick slurp and made my way back home flying back at 30+ down the dual carriageway and into the village.

22 dead for me, 14 for Gem.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1722801911

https://www.relive.cc/view/1722801911

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It was gone 4am this morning when I finally fell asleep so todays ride didn't start till almost midday.
My god it was hot! By the time I reached Barrow Bridge my jersey was already getting sticky and that was before the climb.
"Them's some low gears you have there." said a gentleman passing me on a road bike as we started the accent of Longshaw Ford Road.
"Not low enough!" said I.
He chuckled and took off ahead of me.
The entire hill I could not keep the bike straight. It was all over the place. I'm blaming the extra steering leverage from non compact bars. Enough of a reason to put the old bars back on? Maybe not.
The roadblocks have been lifted so I made my way along Scout Road and onto Belmont Road. The reservoirs didn't look too bad and neither did the hillsides...where was the fire damage? A little further on and something rustled in the grass by the side of the road. Next thing I know a friggin Ram comes trotting across the road dead in front of me followed by his buddy and I swerved almost into the next lane to avoid hitting the bugger. The van coming up behind me slammed his brakes on to avoid flattening me. :ohmy:
Into Belmont and right up Rivington Road then a breather stop at Wards Reservoir.

20180723_124730.jpg

Having caught my breath and rested the legs I set off to tackle the next hill. A (to me) real pig that saps the will to live. Made it to the top where blackened patches on the hillside were dotted about. I needed another leg rest.

20180723_130150.jpg

One thing was becoming very apparent on this, the Spa's first trip to Rivington. I really didn't like the new bars. Admittedly, I did like the fact that there wasn't as much weight on my arms and hands but the neck and back pain from being more stretched out was too high a price to pay for it. And the bikes handling was now close to that of the Vantage...too happy to wander around. Funny how a couple inches or so can affect things.
A pootle later and 'The Rollercoaster" was coming into view. No cars in the distance and nothing behind me. YAS!!!
I began picking up speed and started decending before a final mirror check. Argh you utter utter BA**ARD!!!
An SUV had crept up behind me and was now up my backside and overtaking just as I was about to cut to the inside of the opposite lane. Feckin party pooper!
I made do with taking the apex of my lane before zooming up the short hill and right onto where the road levels out. Fun, but it could have been more fun. Never mind little Spa, we'll have our day!
At the end of the level bit, theres a gentle left bank then a very sharp right before plummeting down Rivington Road. I pedalled the 46T ring like a little hamster and managed 35mph. Taking the left bend at speed was brilliant. Doing that on the Vantage always scared the life out of me but the Spa, even with the new bar was dead stable through it!
Some gentle riding past the lane leading to Rivington Pike which was still closed off and Sheephouse Lane was next in line for a full on speed assault. Spoiled slightly by having to brake as endless motons in tin boxes were climbing past me.
Rivington Lane and Lever Park Lane were pootled along and led to Chorley Old Road through Horwich. I was in no hurry to tackle that endless climb so took the scenic route on some bumpier tracks through Wallsuches behind the lake and back onto Chorley Old Road to the estate and home.
Once inside, the bike was parked and muggins flopped onto the couch. Jeez the back was in agony. Once that subsided, it was a shower and then I fettled the old bar and stem back on.
14 miles averaging 8mph.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/25842225

Katherine

Guru
It was gone 4am this morning when I finally fell asleep so todays ride didn't start till almost midday.
My god it was hot! By the time I reached Barrow Bridge my jersey was already getting sticky and that was before the climb.
"Them's some low gears you have there." said a gentleman passing me on a road bike as we started the accent of Longshaw Ford Road.
"Not low enough!" said I.
He chuckled and took off ahead of me.
The entire hill I could not keep the bike straight. It was all over the place. I'm blaming the extra steering leverage from non compact bars. Enough of a reason to put the old bars back on? Maybe not.
The roadblocks have been lifted so I made my way along Scout Road and onto Belmont Road. The reservoirs didn't look too bad and neither did the hillsides...where was the fire damage? A little further on and something rustled in the grass by the side of the road. Next thing I know a friggin Ram comes trotting across the road dead in front of me followed by his buddy and I swerved almost into the next lane to avoid hitting the bugger. The van coming up behind me slammed his brakes on to avoid flattening me. :ohmy:
Into Belmont and right up Rivington Road then a breather stop at Wards Reservoir.

View attachment 420808

Having caught my breath and rested the legs I set off to tackle the next hill. A (to me) real pig that saps the will to live. Made it to the top where blackened patches on the hillside were dotted about. I needed another leg rest.

View attachment 420810

One thing was becoming very apparent on this, the Spa's first trip to Rivington. I really didn't like the new bars. Admittedly, I did like the fact that there wasn't as much weight on my arms and hands but the neck and back pain from being more stretched out was too high a price to pay for it. And the bikes handling was now close to that of the Vantage...too happy to wander around. Funny how a couple inches or so can affect things.
A pootle later and 'The Rollercoaster" was coming into view. No cars in the distance and nothing behind me. YAS!!!
I began picking up speed and started decending before a final mirror check. Argh you utter utter BA**ARD!!!
An SUV had crept up behind me and was now up my backside and overtaking just as I was about to cut to the inside of the opposite lane. Feckin party pooper!
I made do with taking the apex of my lane before zooming up the short hill and right onto where the road levels out. Fun, but it could have been more fun. Never mind little Spa, we'll have our day!
At the end of the level bit, theres a gentle left bank then a very sharp right before plummeting down Rivington Road. I pedalled the 46T ring like a little hamster and managed 35mph. Taking the left bend at speed was brilliant. Doing that on the Vantage always scared the life out of me but the Spa, even with the new bar was dead stable through it!
Some gentle riding past the lane leading to Rivington Pike which was still closed off and Sheephouse Lane was next in line for a full on speed assault. Spoiled slightly by having to brake as endless motons in tin boxes were climbing past me.
Rivington Lane and Lever Park Lane were pootled along and led to Chorley Old Road through Horwich. I was in no hurry to tackle that endless climb so took the scenic route on some bumpier tracks through Wallsuches behind the lake and back onto Chorley Old Road to the estate and home.
Once inside, the bike was parked and muggins flopped onto the couch. Jeez the back was in agony. Once that subsided, it was a shower and then I fettled the old bar and stem back on.
14 miles averaging 8mph.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/25842225
It's been a while since I did the roller-coaster. I might have to seek it out before the end of summer!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another morning ride using an anti-clockwise variation of my Cressage loop: Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Walcot, Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Condover and back.

I took the Raleigh again and set out intending not to push on quite as quick as yesterday which was a good thing as I left the village into a bit of a headwind which I'd have as far as Longnor (and again for much of the last 10 miles). I'd almost got to there when overtaking a dog walker there was a bit of a kerfuffle and one of the two dogs came chasing after me, having snapped its collar, and bit me on the calf.:sad: The owner was extremely apologetic and the dog having caught me and made me stop turned into the most docile thing. He got a tickle under the chin and I got licked in return.:rolleyes:

The rest of the ride was fortunately less eventful apart from an overtake that was rather closer than I'd like (I couldn't be bothered to be upset about it at that point) then getting caught in a shower only a couple of miles from home.

34.8 miles at 15.4 mph average this time. I put some TCP on the bite when I got back and it wasn't 'til then that it bled profusely.

A couple of snaps from early in the ride. I got kind of distracted after the incident:

DSC0006770.jpg

View to the hills across a field of maize from near Ryton.

DSC0006771.jpg

Potato harvesting underway.

Yes it did unfortunately. Just some small nicks, one of which I didn't notice until it bled after putting TCP on it. There's going to be a good bruise I think.

I would keep a very close eye on it then.

If the nicks become red or slightly raised, then trot off to the quack, tell them about the bite and you'll get a course of antibiotics. Dog (and cat) bites have a habit of getting infected - and the infection can spread quickly. When it does, that can be really nasty. xxx

Top Bottom