Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Club ride out to sweet little cafe in sudbury , next to sudbury hall 10 % off for cyclists :smile:
Owner came out and gave us all a slice of granola free too !
A pose here pasted from FB we are piss taking another member who posted a muscle pic after a kettle bell workout .
43269469_10214587106926242_8102922142863065088_n.jpg
43335358_10214587106366228_8937778607414050816_n.jpg

43253566_10214587118006519_8762605316819910656_n.jpg

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1889902981/embed/d9e8da1a8e9315a66ffe4166af428fdee6899360
'></iframe>

colly

Re member eR
After the road levels out it passes what once was some sort of school or college. Advertising now informs the world that a luxury retirement village is to be built there.

That used to be the headquarters of Yorkshire Electricity ...Scarcroft Lodge

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Was going to be a bog standard ride this morning. Scheduled to go out with the guys at 8 but only got home from overseas yesterday and I slept in so missed it

Headed towards Cheshire in what were pretty decent conditions. Cool, bright, not much wind. Headed down Chester Road out of Hazel Grove despite it being closed for roadworks. Really glad I did. It goes over the Manchester Airport Relief Road that has been in process of being constructed for ages

Guess what? It was finished. Except it wasn't open to vehicles. There was an event on and the MARR was chock full of cyclists, walkers, inline skaters, wheelchair users, scooterists. British Cycling were there hiring out bikes

So I rode from one end to the other, turned round and rode back. The surface was so smooth and perfect

IMG_20181007_120542.jpg

IMG_20181007_120548.jpg

After that, standard ride resumed. Nice imperial 50

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Today was the day of reckoning, the third and final of the Wiggle Yorkshire Sportive series - Ay Up! Yorkshire out of Thirsk.

Up early to be there for registration by half seven and out just before 8am in the third wave, which was fortunately light on racing snakes this morning.
It was cold - down to just 1 degree C overnight and while there was no frost it was definitely chilly, so well layered up in longs, long sleeved compression top, arm warmers, lightweight jersey and a thermal jersey over that. Plus two pairs of socks and overshoes, long fingered gloves, buff, etc - you get the picture. Over the top of that I wore my Santini windproof lightweight jacket, which must be the most overpriced and poorly wearing bit of cycling clothing I've ever purchased (although it does work).

Out of the race course and skirting the edge of downtown Thirsk, before heading out into the flatlands of Yorkshire under the A168 bridge and with a very slight downhill run and the merest hint of a tailwind we were bowling along at 15-16mph in return for not too much effort.
It was all very pleasant as the sun started to burn through the clouds and we were soon at Brafferton, then Helperby and took the road for Easingwold. Still flat, but this is a very boring road and we were glad to turn off it and start heading north for Husthwaite, then a loop through Carlton Husthwaite and Angram Grange before striking out north for Kilburn, with the legendary White Horse visible on the foreboding hillside above us.

This was the first real test of the day, after all the flat and slightly rolling countryside of the Vale of York, here was a proper hill - 1.4km at an average of 11.8%, but with several steeper ramps. Most of it is under trees too, so the road was still damp and there were plenty of fallen leaves so it was a case of very rapidly dropping down the gears and grinding it out. More than one person commented "we must be mad"...^_^

I'd like to say that I made it to the top without stopping, and certainly without getting off on the steeper bit, but that would be a barefaced lie. So I won't. :laugh:
Even emergency Haribo didn't help. At least it wasn't just me :okay:

Anyhow, eventually the top was reached and the road levelled out past the gliding club, where we met out motorised moron of the day, driving at speed towards lots and lots of cyclists on a road little wider than single track, while gesticulating at the cyclists to get out of their way...:dry:

A brief squirt along the A170 followed, almost to the top of Sutton Bank, and right along the ridge and into the National Park visitors centre for the only food station of the day. And a quick running repair on the Giant, courtesy of the nice man in the Lezyne support van.
Then cherry cake and flapjack, plus an energy bar for later and a top up of the water bottles, while laughing at the bloke who insisted in parking his 68 plate Jag right in the middle of all those cyclists, rather than going to the next section of the car park literally feet away...

The next section of the ride almost made up for the hell of that climb. Four and a bit miles of downhill on a near deserted singletrack lane, first between fields on the tops of the moors and then dropping down into a glorious wooded valley and eventually to Rievaulx, home of the famous Abbey.

Unfortunately, topography pays you back for sections like that, this time with a mile of near vertical climbing (well, that's how it felt :whistle:) back out of the valley and onto the B1257, where we stopped for oxygen and a photo:
IMG_20181007_114942291_BURST001.jpg

The next bit was fairly flat with a little bit of downhill to allow us to recover - although this road seems very popular with motorcyclists.
We eventually peeled off for the fun descent into Hawnby, which was 'rewarded' with the climb up Murton Bank which starts off steep, levels off a tiny bit and then gets steep again :bicycle::sweat:
It looks like it's levelling off after the second mountain face, but that's a lie. There are a couple of very short downhill bits to lull you into thinking you must be at the top, but it just becomes a long steadily climbing grind that saps your very will to live, let along the last vestiges of power from your legs. I feel slightly better that nearly everyone who overtook me on here (and there were plenty who did) was grumbling about the seemingly never ending slog, including one young lady who summed it up perfectly - "this is bloody awful!" before vanishing off into the distance :okay:
Eventually we did reach Boltby and there is a blinder of a descent that must be an absolute blast on a summers day, with dry, clean tarmac and warm sticky tyres - there was a marshal at the top telling us to be careful, but it was still a white knuckle descent and blooming good fun! ^_^ And one of the reasons I have disc brakes on my bikes :okay:

By now my legs were really feeling it and a couple of steady climbs that wouldn't have been an issue near the start of the ride were really dig in and grind them out ones now, but we only had ten miles to go so it was just a case of getting it done.
And there we were, just a few miles to go and on the run in back to Thirsk, then a right just before the James Herriot Museum (well worth a visit) and just a mile left to go. Hammer down now (such as we could ;)) and over the line!

55.11 miles (88.7km) in 4h 40m at an average of 11.8 mph with 3,503ft climbed and an average temperature of 5.4°C

We celebrated by buying a steak cheeseburger apiece from the catering van and I have never tasted a finer burger in all my days. :hungry:

Despite how it might sound above, I really enjoyed that. There is a real sense of achievement from digging in and getting it done, although I could have made things a bit easier for myself if I'd done some proper training for the big climbs, but hey ho! The whole ride had a really good vibe to it and once out of the Vale of York is through some stunning scenery.

And to end, the map (and elevation) from the day:
07102018.JPG

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Imperial century challenge ride today, my only weekend off so had to be done. I'm not sure where I got the route from, though I suspect it was found and imported onto Strava. A very chilly start at 0600hrs, and I was pleased I'd bought arm and knee warmers yesterday. By the time I reached the Surrey Hills at 0700hrs it was 0.2 degrees C, and I was beginning to wish I'd worn my winter boots.
Mostly new roads for me today with 3 significant climbs, and lots of short sharp ones to keep me on my toes. I'll admit to walking the last 100 yards up one of them which was littered with fallen leaves, conkers and acorns, rather than taking a chance falling off somewhere rather quiet.
After 40 or so miles I spotted the first sign, then the 2nd sign, then the bikes with numbers on. I'd managed to find my way into the Sigma Box Hill Sportive, and also the Palace to Palace ride:rolleyes: Lots and lots of people on roads, some of which really aren't suited to that many cyclists in one go.
Stopped at Newlands Corner which was heaving for a burger and chips before the final 21 miles home.
101 miles with 5,700ft of climbing.
7 Oct 2018 Gate 1.jpg

7 Oct 2018 Gate 2.jpg

C R

Guru
Cold morning today with ice on the cars, so tights under the shorts, long sleeve top and jacket and autumn gloves.

Out at about ten to seven, with the sunrise starting to colour the sky pink. The intention was to do about 35 miles going round Bredon Hill. Started out down the A38 through Kempsey, and then left at Baynhall for Kerswell Green, this was the view as I turned left
IMG_20181007_070542.jpg

The sun was coming out quickly, and by the time I reached Kinnersley, there was almost full daylight
IMG_20181007_071731.jpg

After Kinnersley it was Earls Croome, and then a left for Defford, and a right past Defford for Eckington. Stopped at Eckington bridge for a bit of a breather, and the views were beautiful, the frost on the grass
IMG_20181007_075113.jpg

The bridge
IMG_20181007_075048.jpg

And the mist on the river.
IMG_20181007_075059.jpg

I was considering whether I should turn for the Combertons, as I was finding the riding harder than expected, but once past Eckington I felt a bit better, so carried on towards Bredon.

The steady climb to Kemerton went ok, and then the swift descent to Beckford was easy. From Beckford is a steady climb past Ashton under the Hill, and now my toes started to complain about the cold, and my legs were feeling a bit heavy. By the time I made it to Elmley Castle I was regretting having gone the long way round, but it was too late now.

From here is downhill to Pershore, so recovered a bit, but the Holloway was a struggle. Luckily I have now the 28T in the triple, otherwise I think I would have had to walk the bike up. From there it goes easier, Wadborough, Littleworth and then home.

38.1 miles at 13.4 mph. I need a few more 30 mile rides to build up my stamina before going further. Also, it may not be the best idea to go out for a long ride the day after the flu vaccine.

TigerT

Veteran
Another gorgeous sunny Sunday ride today.

When I woke up this morning I had no idea where I would end up going. I've been aching a bit after this weeks Gym session, so although I usually try to do a metric 100 on the first Sunday of the month (to get my Strava Gran Fondo badge) - I wasn't sure I'd be up for it so was prepared to do a shorter ride. However I felt ok, the weather was good - 10 degrees, but forecast 22 so I decided to go for it, but take a route where I can bail out and get the train home.

After pondering over the map while eating breakfast, I decided on riding from home to Rapperswil, have a coffee and decide whether to ride back or carry on around the top of the lake.

So that's what I did - There are many routes, but I decided to head into Zürich and take the coast road. The trees are already starting to change to autumn colours, I could have stopped for so many photos, I really enjoyed the ride out. Though I was doubting my decision to where short sleeves. It was a bit chilly down by the lake.

Raperswill seemed to arrive quite quickly and I headed into a cafe for coffee and a doughnut. Most welcome! I decided that I could do the longer ride. I've never actually done the correct route before, I've alway missed a sign or gone wrong somewhere so I decided to try and get it right this time. I headed out to Schmerikon at the end of the lake and picked up route 76 around the top of the lake. I don't know how I got it wrong before, it's really quite an easy route. Once I was around the top. I picked up route 32 for the ride back into Zürich. It was warmer now, but There is nearly always a headwind on the way back and today was no exception.

I normally stop a Lachen for lunch but the restaurant was full today, so I headed onwards to Au. Not the most scenic stop, but there's a supermarket at the station that has tables outside, so I had a quick lunch and set off again.

The rest of the ride went smoothly with nothing to report. Yet again I managed to take a different route through Zürich. You have to zig zag through the streets and I always seem to take a different turn somewhere, eventually I got myself onto my normal commuting route and headed home.

112km's in total. The ride just seemed to fly by today. Really enjoyed it.

Here are a couple of pictures :

IMG_0164.JPG
Heading alongside the river on the way to the lake.
fullsizeoutput_19aa.jpeg
One of Zürich's art installations
IMG_0168.JPG
At the start of the lake
IMG_0183.JPG
And the other end
fullsizeoutput_19ab.jpeg
Hoping for a right turn before I get to that hill!
IMG_2093.JPG
And here is the map

colly

Re member eR
We celebrated by buying a steak cheeseburger apiece from the catering van and I have never tasted a finer burger in all my days. :hungry:

Well 'hunger is the best sauce'. :smile:

13 rider

Guru
Today was the day of reckoning, the third and final of the Wiggle Yorkshire Sportive series - Ay Up! Yorkshire out of Thirsk.

Up early to be there for registration by half seven and out just before 8am in the third wave, which was fortunately light on racing snakes this morning.
It was cold - down to just 1 degree C overnight and while there was no frost it was definitely chilly, so well layered up in longs, long sleeved compression top, arm warmers, lightweight jersey and a thermal jersey over that. Plus two pairs of socks and overshoes, long fingered gloves, buff, etc - you get the picture. Over the top of that I wore my Santini windproof lightweight jacket, which must be the most overpriced and poorly wearing bit of cycling clothing I've ever purchased (although it does work).

Out of the race course and skirting the edge of downtown Thirsk, before heading out into the flatlands of Yorkshire under the A168 bridge and with a very slight downhill run and the merest hint of a tailwind we were bowling along at 15-16mph in return for not too much effort.
It was all very pleasant as the sun started to burn through the clouds and we were soon at Brafferton, then Helperby and took the road for Easingwold. Still flat, but this is a very boring road and we were glad to turn off it and start heading north for Husthwaite, then a loop through Carlton Husthwaite and Angram Grange before striking out north for Kilburn, with the legendary White Horse visible on the foreboding hillside above us.

This was the first real test of the day, after all the flat and slightly rolling countryside of the Vale of York, here was a proper hill - 1.4km at an average of 11.8%, but with several steeper ramps. Most of it is under trees too, so the road was still damp and there were plenty of fallen leaves so it was a case of very rapidly dropping down the gears and grinding it out. More than one person commented "we must be mad"...^_^

I'd like to say that I made it to the top without stopping, and certainly without getting off on the steeper bit, but that would be a barefaced lie. So I won't. :laugh:
Even emergency Haribo didn't help. At least it wasn't just me :okay:

Anyhow, eventually the top was reached and the road levelled out past the gliding club, where we met out motorised moron of the day, driving at speed towards lots and lots of cyclists on a road little wider than single track, while gesticulating at the cyclists to get out of their way...:dry:

A brief squirt along the A170 followed, almost to the top of Sutton Bank, and right along the ridge and into the National Park visitors centre for the only food station of the day. And a quick running repair on the Giant, courtesy of the nice man in the Lezyne support van.
Then cherry cake and flapjack, plus an energy bar for later and a top up of the water bottles, while laughing at the bloke who insisted in parking his 68 plate Jag right in the middle of all those cyclists, rather than going to the next section of the car park literally feet away...

The next section of the ride almost made up for the hell of that climb. Four and a bit miles of downhill on a near deserted singletrack lane, first between fields on the tops of the moors and then dropping down into a glorious wooded valley and eventually to Rievaulx, home of the famous Abbey.

Unfortunately, topography pays you back for sections like that, this time with a mile of near vertical climbing (well, that's how it felt :whistle:) back out of the valley and onto the B1257, where we stopped for oxygen and a photo:
View attachment 433082

The next bit was fairly flat with a little bit of downhill to allow us to recover - although this road seems very popular with motorcyclists.
We eventually peeled off for the fun descent into Hawnby, which was 'rewarded' with the climb up Murton Bank which starts off steep, levels off a tiny bit and then gets steep again :bicycle::sweat:
It looks like it's levelling off after the second mountain face, but that's a lie. There are a couple of very short downhill bits to lull you into thinking you must be at the top, but it just becomes a long steadily climbing grind that saps your very will to live, let along the last vestiges of power from your legs. I feel slightly better that nearly everyone who overtook me on here (and there were plenty who did) was grumbling about the seemingly never ending slog, including one young lady who summed it up perfectly - "this is bloody awful!" before vanishing off into the distance :okay:
Eventually we did reach Boltby and there is a blinder of a descent that must be an absolute blast on a summers day, with dry, clean tarmac and warm sticky tyres - there was a marshal at the top telling us to be careful, but it was still a white knuckle descent and blooming good fun! ^_^ And one of the reasons I have disc brakes on my bikes :okay:

By now my legs were really feeling it and a couple of steady climbs that wouldn't have been an issue near the start of the ride were really dig in and grind them out ones now, but we only had ten miles to go so it was just a case of getting it done.
And there we were, just a few miles to go and on the run in back to Thirsk, then a right just before the James Herriot Museum (well worth a visit) and just a mile left to go. Hammer down now (such as we could ;)) and over the line!

55.11 miles (88.7km) in 4h 40m at an average of 11.8 mph with 3,503ft climbed and an average temperature of 5.4°C

Despite how it might sound above, I really enjoyed that. There is a real sense of achievement from digging in and getting it done, although I could have made things a bit easier for myself if I'd done some proper training for the big climbs, but hey ho! The whole ride had a really good vibe to it and once out of the Vale of York is through some stunning scenery.

And to end, the map (and elevation) from the day:
View attachment 433081
Well done Dave glad you had a good day even if it was tough going ,but there the rides you remember

HDW club ride and I was well clad against a cold start

There were four, but one went off home to get warmer clothes - arrangement to meet up failed so it was just three

We went to Booker Garden Centre, between Lane End and Marlow

We went out via cicuitous route through Windsor, Taplow, and Lane End and returned via Cookham and Maidenhead.

Though not mega hilly there were some steepish bits

53.08 miles @ a meagre 14.9 mph
1611 feet climbed

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got my qualifier in for the Imperial Century Challenge yesterday. The forecast of a very light westerly breeze strengthening from about lunchtime meant it should be ideal for a trip to Lake Vyrnwy so that was my target for the day.

Forget autumn, the morning felt like winter with the cars iced over and frost on the grass, but fortunately the roads had dried out after the rain otherwise I might have been having second thoughts. Winter layers went on (three on top and two on the legs) plus a spare fleece in the pannier and I set out using a variation of my longer route over Lyth Hill to Hunger Hill, Exfords Green, Lea Cross, Edge, Westbury, Halfway House, Melverley, Measbrook and Llynclys.

The sunrise was wonderful from Lyth Hill but I had other things on my mind at this point - I mentioned a few rides ago having tweaked the saddle setup on the Raleigh and thinking I might have messed it up, well, in the cold air and with extra weight on the bike this proved to be the case and my left knee was hurting again after only a couple of miles. I stopped to try an adjustment here and ended up making another four stops before I was happy with it. Round the other side of the hill it turned out to be colder so that spare fleece was put on as well.

After the various adjustments I got on a lot better to Llynclys where a stop for a bite to eat was taken, then I carried on up the Tanat Valley. I'd expected this road to be fairly quiet on a Sunday morning but it wasn't with the traffic being mostly white vans or cars with bikes on racks. All were pretty well behaved though so there were no issues as I gently worked my way along the valley to Penybontfawr and the turning towards Vyrnwy. This road was quiet and I only saw a couple of vehicles. I'd warmed up on the first bit of climbing on this road so took off a couple of layers before it ramps up to the summit.

Reaching the lake, the wind was picking up as per the forecast but seemed to be coming at me from all directions as it swirls around the hills. This meant that my laps of the lake weren't quite the effortless cruise I'd hoped for. There were lots of other people riding or running round the lake today which is always nice to see.

After my first lap I headed for the Old Barn Cafe only to find that they have already closed for the season, so ended up at Artisans instead (there is nothing wrong with Artisan's but I like The Old Barn better). Early into my second lap of the lake I almost had words with another cyclist who went for an overtake on a corner and for some bizarre reason started swinging back in to the left before he'd even got alongside me, let alone past. We didn't connect which was the main thing but it was all a bit unecessary.

After my lunch stop (by the war memorial this time as there were clouds of insects hanging round the spot I usually like to stop at) it was time to tackle the hills again and with 70 miles already in the legs and still getting used to the latest riding position I was not very quick. I decided to take the alternative way back to Penybontfawr which involves a little more climbing but is rewarded with some good views (and a slightly better road surface.... mostly).

I've already mentioned that the wind had picked up and from Penybontfawr it was funnelled nicely down the valley so I had a cracking run back to Llynclys, averaging almost 20mph over 13 miles.:hyper: The traffic was busier on the return with lots of people heading home after a weekend away. This tends to bring out the worst in some drivers as they want to get back in a rush and I saw some questionable manouvres, the daftest of which being the guy who started his overtake just as we were about to reach the t-junction by Llanrhaeadr. I asserted myself, stuck my right arm out and took my rightful place on the road which caused him to slam the anchors on and drop in behind. If he'd attempted to complete the pass he'd have overshot the junction straight into traffic.

Later I paused for another quick bite to eat at Llynclys and while eating my sandwich there was a long drawn out scream of tyres back at the nearby crossroads. I was waiting for the bang which fortunately never came. This convinced me that I'd rather retrace my steps on the longer but quieter way to home.

By Melverley I was flagging. The climb at Prince's Oak felt like an unending slog. I had to make an effort to get up a little rise at Halfway House that I'd usually hardly notice. At Westbury a bit of cake perked me up and the wind-assisted run to Stoney Stretton was quite fun. The final climb over Lyth Hill saved some miles but took an effort and when I finally got home I hardly had the energy to get off the bike. A tougher ride than I'd expected this time.

113.6 miles at 13.8 mph moving average and a top speed of 35.1 mph which was quite fun.

PA070012.JPG

Sunrise from Lyth Hill on a cold morning. I've got a new (to me) camera which is better at contrast. Should be better still when I've sussed out all the settings.

PA070014.JPG

Crossing the Severn near Melverley.

PA070017.JPG

Heading up Cwm Hirnant after Penybontfawr.

PA070019.JPG

At the top of the climb.

PA070021.JPG

Llyn Efyrnwy.

PA070025.JPG

Riding round the lake.

PA070026.JPG

A better version of this shot with the new camera.

PA070029.JPG

A few people enjoying the water. I hope those wetsuits are warm.

PA070031.JPG

A bit of a contrast to the last time I was here when the tar on the road was melting.

Mike_P

Guru
Not sure if it counts as a ride but numerous :bicycle:up and down the local road on Saturday afternoon trying to resolve the squeak on the road bike
Changed pedals, squeak, squeak :cursing:
Changed skewers, squeak, squeak :cursing:
:crazy: moment - convinced the squeak was from rear repositioned the rear brake blocks further from the wheels:blink: Squeak, squeak:evil:
:angel: moment - best reposition the rear brake blocks, and that quick release lever looks tatty so the original skewer went back on.
:angel:Best check the braking - oh, silence :ohmy: No squeaks:rolleyes: Not sure how it resolved:smile:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride yesterday 107Km Blaby - Wigston - Newton Harcourt - Ingarsby - Marefield - Owston - Somerby - Braunston - Launde - Tugby - Goadby - Glooston - Cranoe - Wellham - Great Bowden - Foxton - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby - Peatling Magna - Blaby

started off quite chilly - cycle computer told me it was 0C fortunately it warmed up reasonably quickly and hit 13C when I got home. Don't go up to Somerby that often...tis nice though I shall need to rectify that - the climb up from Launde Abbey is fun too....

Top Bottom