Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Had planned to to a longish ride today, but circumstances got in the way. Instead, popped into town on Patsy #3 The Hybrid for some writing materials and, on a whim, dropped into The Stable Cafe in Holywells Park for tea and cake on the way back. That did the trick!

Incidentally, part of the reason for finding an excuse for some kind of ride was because I've become incredibly frustrated with the quality of of service at my LBS and needed to relax after another annoying 'It'll be in tomorrow' telephone conversations. The work and knowledge base is excellent, but tying them down to completion dates and ordering has proven to be hit-or-miss. I've recommended the place to others, who have subsequently had a less-than expected experience, and so I'm finally seeking outlets further afield and will not be singing their praises anymore. Pity.

Anyway, a picture of some orange and chocolate cake. Fab!

photo.JPG

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Rode to work. Rode home from work. Not exactly exciting, though I came home the muddy way. And it also took me just over halfway on the Strava climbing challenge for February.

bluenotebob

Veteran
My first ‘real’ ride of 2019. I reckon if it’s over 4 hours in duration, I’ve carried some food, and I’ve thought about it beforehand, then it’s a ‘real ride’. I did a couple of 60+km runs in January, just to get the legs working – today was intended to really stretch them and me.

Slung the Shaper in the van and drove into Mauron, to the Plan d’Eau CP at the start of the southern section of the V3 Voie Verte. I headed off S taking care to avoid any remnants of last night’s frost in the shadier parts of the trail. Hardly a soul around – all having lunch probably – a couple of dog walkers near Loyat, but otherwise I had it all to myself. Flew through Ploermel and down to the Nantes-to-Brest canal. I had a nibble at a piece of pain au raisin and took some photos from the Pont de Deux Rivières bridge. Onto the Val d’Oust floodplain then up the long grind to the old railway station at Malestroit. Left the V3 and dropped down into the town – I encountered my first traffic light of the year. Took a R then dropped onto the canal towpath just south of the town centre.

Returned N along the towpath (which is also Eurovelo EV1) all the way back to the Pont de Deux Rivières bridge, via Bagotaie, le Roc St André and Montertelot. I rejoined the V3, climbed up to the ridge south of Ploermel, then let the Shaper rip on the descent into the town. I started to tire around Loyat (about 14km from the van) but kept going steadily by focusing on the possibility that there might be some pâtisserie waiting for me at home. Back at the van and slightly buzzy – time for a swift roll-up and rehydration before heading home… to find that I did indeed have a selection of artisanale pâtisserie waiting for me and just begging to be eaten.

82.41 km for the day and that’s good enough for mid-February. I shall sleep well tonight.

Looking west from the Pont de Deux Rivières bridge …

View W from Pont de 2 Rivières pic1 13022019.JPG

Looking east from the Pont de Deux Rivières bridge … I returned to the V3 on that towpath

View E from Pont de 2 Rivières 13022019.JPG

Is there a thread for 'My bike in a van'?

Back at the van 13022109.JPG

This was waiting for me when I got home ….

Patisserie 13022109.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lovely almost Spring day. Just a strong breeze which was a tad chilly to begin with. Jules H was at the meet as I rolled up. We took to the longer way around by Hillend to cross Longdon Marsh. Jules hadn't been this way for a while. The Rampings and Bushley took us to Tewkesbury and we headed north with a tail wind at last. At Kemerton we took to new tarmac to ride through the upper village. A Red Kite drifted above. Then on we rode to Beckford where we had a look in the nature reserve. Litlle Grebe were calling. We couldn't put it off any longer so queued in the Silk Centre for refreshments.

Suitably fuelled we rode for Ashton spying 3 Red Kites, a Buzzard and a Sparrow Hawk. Jules hadn't seen so many Kites before. The ride up Kersoe Bank wasn't helped by that wind and as we rounded the northern flanks of Bredon Hill we had southerly tacks into the wind. We took the detour to Birlingham where the churchyard was ablaze with snowdrops and crocus. For a change we looped a bit to the east before taking the standard run by Defford and Strensham for Upton. WE each headed our way home but I had to detour by Tunnel Hill to avoid the floods in the lane. I took a few loops extra by Clevelode to top things up a bit and to record my longest ride of 2019 so far. Add Kestrel to the raptor count today too. 63 smiles

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
After a very loud, stressful standard Wednesday at work ....and seeing the lovely sunshine....I was craving getting back home and out on the bike! My work shift is 6:15am-2:15pm so by the time I got home and ready it was 3pm...knowing sunset is around 5pm I thought 2 hours would be plenty!!

Sadly not many photos of the landscapes as I was keen to keep cycling and not get cold! But here goes! So glad I wore my neck warmer and sunglasses! It got quite glarey at the end of the ride! Really pleased with the stats

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190213-180911.png
    Screenshot_20190213-180911.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190213_170728_175.jpg
    IMG_20190213_170728_175.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 22

colly

Re member eR
My first ride out for 5 weeks. :eek: I had touch of flu or a cold which laid me low for a few days, hot and cold, shivering, sweating etc. and while I got over all that stuff I never really shook it off completely. It hung around for a month at least. So this morning I was up and out for about 7am to have a pootle.
5 weeks is all and my legs were telling me it was 5 years.:sad: After the initial shock I sort of got used to it but nevertheless it seemed hard work all the way round.

Even so it was a nice run in the cold morning air despite the commuter traffic where I couldn't avoid it.

19 miles and about 900ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/31656898

I did take this pic of the mist creeping over the road, spoiled it by not wiping the lens of condensation after it came out of my back pocket. You get the idea anyway.

20190214_073102.jpg

C R

Guru
I did take this pic of the mist creeping over the road, spoiled it by not wiping the lens of condensation after it came out of my back pocket. You get the idea anyway.
It is not spoilt, it's the artistic effect you were totally aiming for.:okay:

pjd57

Veteran
strava651543184227646510.jpg
IMG_20190214_101542581.jpg
had to go to Paisley this morning to pick something up for my Mrs .
I don't usually venture onto route 7/75 heading out of Glasgow in that direction.
It wanders a bit.
Today I joined it at Ross Hall as it took me along the Levern Water right to the street I was going to.

Coming back I stayed on it as far as Pollock then back on the roads down to the Clyde.
Headed west along route 7 only as far as Yoker then on to the F&C canal and back to Maryhill.
Lovely morning in Glasgow.
Would have stayed out longer but I'm out again tonight.

Old jon

Guru
Time for a ride on the fixed and here is a bright and almost warm morning to do it in. South and east of where I am sitting now is flatter country than any other direction, so it makes sense to go that way when there is only one gear to play with. The ride ended as a nudge over twenty eight miles and nine hundred and eighty some feet of going up.

The ride started, of course, with a pedal around Holbeck. The old Haynes building seems to be being demolished. The bit by the beck is still standing but there is a tangle of reinforcing bar and other debris visible beyond. I think I read recently that the founder of Haynes had died. Some coincidence. This rolls no miles under the wheels, though, Hunslet beckons! Well, the ride through there takes me to greener country. Up to the top of John o’ Gaunts seemed to go fairly easily, in fact so easy I suspected a stonking tailwind. Some flat roads lead to the drop past Woodlesford station. Turn left at the bottom for an unremarkable ride through Swillington, the legs feeling the gradients this time. There is that last descent to Garforth roundabout, when I do not feel tempted to turn right and climb Garforth Cliff. So, around the northern edge of the town, the flyover across the M 1 and onto the B 1217 to ride past the gates of Lotherton Hall.

At the end of the video the bike is pointing towards Aberford along Lotherton Lane. Turn left at the end, over the brow of the hill and then left onto Cattle Lane. I stopped at the top of the first rise, the creaking noise was back but on a different bike this time! Could find no play anywhere, but was not going to upend the bike to make a pointless investigation of where the noise was being produced. I could only fix it at home. Off I went again, following another cyclist who I let go by. He would have caught me anyway. All the rest of the lumps and bumps to and through Barwick and Scholes provide a changing landscape of fields and woods and housing, folk working and walking and a large number of food animals too. Pleasant when the weather is as good as it was today. After Scholes there was a bit of a wait to ride onto the A 64, traffic almost vanished then for the dogleg ride along Thorner Lane, Skeltons Lane and Red Hall Lane to the A 58 and the almost 27 mph drop down Boot Hill. The last hilly bit of the ride, past the unused gates of Roundhay Park, leads to more descent to Leeds’ centre. Back across the river previously crossed in Woodlesford and a meander through a bit of Hunslet to point me homewards. The smile arrived before I reached the end of the street, our lass was walking back from a shopping expedition.

A bit of a map,

14022019.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Crackin sunny ride today. Too nice to waste! :sun:

Heading northwards through the villages of Moulton Walgrave and Old, plus several more places, I got to just t'other side of the A14, to Harrington, before thinking of my route back.
With a quick visit to Arthingworth, where my BiL used to live, I dropped down onto the Brampton Valley Way, Sustrans 6

_20190214_171052.JPG

By down, I actually mean up..
Always good to put a staircase on a cycle route, eh!? :wacko:

DSC_0587.JPG

Riding southwards, I was through the Kelmarsh Tunnel.

IMG_14022019_164849_(750_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Luckily I had my lights on the bike. Its rideable without them, but quite spooky and tricky!

Hoping for a coffee, I stopped at the café in the stables just past Chapel Brampton Halt, only to find that it was shut. I'm going to cross the place of my list. Shame, as when it does condescend to open, it's a really good stop!
Hey ho..

Back home, via the bottom of the town, and home on 36 sunny miles, :sun:

https://strava.app.link/wga7gQq1iU

:smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Challenge ride time again. The forecast looked good for today and the wind direction made heading south then being helped home look like the best option, so I headed to do my Ludow route which I haven't done in ages.

I was out on the road just before seven and into thick fog (which hadn't been forecast) but fortunately it was quite localised and I rode out of it after crossing Lyth Hill (and before crossing the A49 which was good). I always need to add a bit of mileage when doing this route and did it today by heading north from Condover to Cross Houses, Atcham, Upton Magna then turned east taking the lane that heads directly to Rodington rather than the one through Withington.

Turning south again I found the headwind on the way to Eaton Constantine and Cressage where I paused for my second breakfast. Here I thought that any extra miles added would be good later on, so went up Shore Lane and climbed to Harnage Grange rather than taking the more direct way. There was a bit of an odd moment along here where a guy in a Mercedes 4x4 seemed to take the hump at me pulling in to let him by and floored it, squeaking the tyres and disappearing up the lane at a rate of knots.:scratch:

The road to Kenley Common brought a few more relaxed and friendly drivers, then a couple of miles from Longville I ran into more fog so didn't have any views while crossing Wenlock Edge. The descent the other side was fairly fun and the fog dispersed as I dropped into the valley. I encountered some tree cutting directed by quite a jovial farmer after Broncroft and after a good run along the fairly flat lanes had my elevenses stop in a gateway not far from Stanton Lacy. I'd hoped to have this stop at Ludlow but wasn't quite getting on well enough for that, so hunger dictated.

When I did get to Ludlow I had a pause in the centre to send a progress update to family, then setting off again something didn't feel quite right. Descending the next hill I got a pronounced thump from the back wheel and having experienced it before my heart sank. I stopped to check and as expected the rear wheel rim had split meaning it was game over for today at the 48 mile mark.:sad: I'm pretty gutted but if it had to happen anywhere, the centre of Ludlow was a good place as the railway station was in easy reach.

The train ride back was swift and once back in Shrewsbury I dropped the rear tyre pressure and rode home very slowly keeping to cycle paths as much as possible in case the rim damage got worse.

52.2 miles for the day at 11 mph average. I've swapped the wheel for my last remaining 26" rear so hopefully I can complete another try fairly soon. Don't want to be out of the challenge if I can help it.

P2140010.JPG

At Uppington. I thought I'd taken a wrong road for a moment as there was a 10 foot high hedge last time I was here.

P2140012.JPG

Sunshine through the mist near Cressage.

P2140014.JPG

Back into the murk at Longville.

P2140015.JPG

Broncroft. I like this house.

P2140016.JPG

Mist clearing near Peaton.

P2140017.JPG

Ludlow.

P2140020.JPG

Just outside Ludlow Castle moments before the rim failed.

P2140022.JPG

Admitting defeat.

P2140023.JPG

Back in Shrewsbury the cyclepath took me past the contentious Quantum Leap sculpture.

P2140025.JPG

The damage.

Top Bottom