Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was more like it weather wise this morning with blue skies and just a 8mph SW wind and 17 degrees. However my legs and neck were not going to let me have an easy cycle, perhaps it was all the gardening I have done this week, cutting hedges mainly. I started off quite gently out to Stowupland and then through to Gedding and Old Newton and then dropping down to Haughley. Haughley looked lovely bathed in sunshine, jsut a pity about all the parked cars but there you go. From Haughley I cut through the old Haughley bends to Shelland, Woolpit Green and then Drinkstone. I had the camera with me today as I wanted to take a photo of the cattle I saw there earlier in the week. I had to look them up as I did`nt remember seeing this breed before, Belted Galloway. They were in a field with a different breed of Galloway so I believe.
From Drinkstone it was not long before I had descended down and then through Rattlesden, following the river Rat. I espied two hares that were poking their long ears above the long grass in a field. Little was I aware of a mile or so down the road that I`d see another. I took the narrow and hilly route to Harlesden and as I came around a bend, a hare leapt from the side, he saw me and the look on his face said it all. Shock, horror, what`s that cyclist doing there ? He leapt across the road trying to leap clear of the wide ditch as well, which he just about managed. I watched him run across the field at what must have been about 30 or so mph. It was amazing. I suddenly remembered the running club I belonged to years ago, that was Hadleigh Hares. As a founding member we needed a name and Hares we came up with. I think it is true to say that none of us could run at that speed.
I digress. From Harlesden it was through to Onehouse and then Chilton Road in Stowmarket and home. I picked up a bit of speed the last 7 or so miles and ended at 17.1 mph average over 22.9 miles and 974 feet of climbing. There were lots of cyclists about today and all nodded etc. No problems with walkers as there not many about, but car drivers. Why do they drive so hard on country roads ? Pillocks !
1622 miles for the year to date.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My first outdoor ride since 21st March today - just over 15 miles in an hour and a quarter on a loop I must have done dozens of times.
Hard work but good to be back.

Old jon

Guru
Beginning to wonder what my reaction to poor weather might be, but not wondering too deeply. Just take it and ride, it is that easy. Geared bike today with the idea of riding a bit of road I have not used for a very long time. Looking at maps is productive.

Familiar roads to start with, inevitable really. To the Oakwood Clock, with a helping shove from the breeze. The next climb on the A58, a few hundred yards of flat travel then turn left onto Whin Moor Lane. Fields either side, no hedges and the breeze was noticeable. Shadwell to Slaid Hill followed by that lovely ride along Wike Ridge and to East Keswick.

Up Potts Hill (really called Whitegate) out of the village then the right turn onto the A659 to ride eastwards to Collingham. A left turn there takes me to Linton, after crossing the River Wharfe. Up that sharp rise, pass the pub and turn left onto Northgate Lane, the road less ridden. It could almost be a Wetherby bypass, but don’t tell anyone. The road from Wetherby to Sicklinghall is next, turn left.

Open country around here, that breeze has lots of room to blow. Up and down until Sicklinghall, this village is built on a hill and in this direction it is up. Just after passing the pub, damn, that’s two passed already, terrible habit. Anyway a medium size black dog came barking out of someone’s front door. I stopped, it was that or run into the animal. Owner came out and captured, apologised. So I told her it was fine, I needed the rest. And that rest was welcome indeed, it is a steep village. And more rolling country takes me to Kirkby Overblow.

A quick look tells me that the name is because there was once a foundry nearby, hence Kirkby Ore Blowers. Not sure about this, glass blowing I have seen but the only thing I have seen done, and indeed done, with molten iron is pouring it into the hole in the cope box. A mighty pair of lungs would be needed . . .

Away from there to the A61, another left turn and cross the Wharfe again, on Harewood Bridge this time. And back to that road again, turn right to travel, westwards this time, on the A659. Not far though, there is a left turn to Weardley a mile and a bit along the way and it soon starts to climb a bit, from 35 to about 160 metres. My aching legs! After Burden Head House Farm things level a bit. In fact, there are two or three rises between me and home now, the rest is downhill or flat, the smile started early and stayed all the way back. After thirty eight miles and 2400 feet up through some very good looking countryside this was one happy rider.

Horizontally, and vertically, I went this way,

18052020.jpg

1805elev.jpg

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A trip out on the Kingpin today for a change. I headed to the top of Lyth Hill then dropped down to Annscroft, Exfords Green, Stapleton, Gonsal, Wheathall, Berriewood, Condover and back over Lyth Hill via Little Lyth.

Apart from an anti-social driver in a Merc who floored it to overtake me as I was about to pass a parked car (you may think your car sounds "sporty", I think it sounds like it's burned out an exhaust valve) it was a pretty uneventful ride which is as I like it.

It was the first time I've ridden the gravel track across Lyth Hill on this bike and it managed pretty well on this surface. It also brought back happy memories as I used to ride this way a lot on my original Kingpin.^_^

There weren't many people out on the lanes this time with just the one other cyclist seen until getting back to Lyth Hill later on. It was noticable how much more traffic there was - the A49 seemed very much back to normal.:sad:

I had wondered how I'd manage with the second climb over the hill, as it's properly steep for a short section, but made it. It's surprising what can be managed with just a 3 speed.

I'd moved the saddle back a bit before the ride as it didn't feel quite right last time out and I'm happier with it after this trip.

15.1 miles at 10.6 mph average (according to Strava)

View from the top of Lyth Hill

At Wheathall.

colly

Re member eR
Over a week off the bike for me due to a pulled muscle in my lower back. Who knew loading a dishwasher was so dangerous?

So it was nice to get out today even though the planned early off didn't happen. I finally got underway about 1pm. and it was pretty much local lanes, although I did get out to Bramham.
Passing a load of what I assume are 'free range' piggies on Compton Lane:
20200518_133725.jpg

20200518_133729.jpg

and over the road a mass of cornflowers looking like an expanse of water from a distance:
20200518_133952.jpg

Up close they just look like.........well, flowers. Anyway in the sun it was very pretty.

I had to stop and fettle a couple of times because things were playing up but other than that it was an uneventful jaunt out but but still worth the effort.

27.6 miles and 1700ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/48994445

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another ride in the wind on a route I haven’t done for a while as it goes a bit further from home. Started into the wind to Loppington taking a short detour to Nonely and back into Loppington to avoid the wind then slow progress into the wind to Burlton over the road to Marton where I turned back through Myddlewood hoping the wind would assist me to Myddle which it didn’t really feel like it was but PR’s on all the Strava segments that way so it must have been, up the bank in Myddle and over to Balderton, Harmer Hill, down Shotton Lane to Hadnall, Sansaw Heath, Yorton up to Clive, Wem, Foxholes, Paddolgreen, Waterloo, Northwood and back home. 27.47 miles @16mph.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A day off here today. Lots of chores around the house to be done - but the sun was out, so a ride it was then.

Wicken Fen area (Cambridgeshire), Hobbies soaring overhead with several cuckoos back now calling. Here’s a cheery thought, in just 3 short weeks, the first cuckoos will be beginning their autumn migration back south.

For years I’ve been dutifully walking my bike along this ‘footpath’. I checked my OS map the other day and found that this section is a bridleway after all. Too nice to ride though on a day like this, best savoured at walking pace.

The road between Upware and Swaffham Prior.

view from the bridge. (I was a big Kim Wilde fan- with apologies to anyone under 40)

This lovely byway takes me out of my village onto the fen with barely any need for interaction with bloody drivers, which is wonderful, especially now they’re starting to crawl back out from under their rocks to antagonise us once again.

A nice relaxed 15 miler here today.

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Not normally one to go for a ride before work - seems to me that it would less enjoyable knowing there's a day's work to come. But the dog got me up at 4:00 am and proceeded to sit in the garden for twenty minutes, after which time I was wide awake. So I waited for the light and then headed off for a swift ten mile loop of the local lanes. Must admit it was enjoyable, after all. Loads of bird life - buzzard. kestrel, pheasants, wood pigeons, more wood pigeons, some back-up wood pigeons... When the sun came up everything was beautiful. For a few minutes the light was perfect for photography - the simplest of scenes: horses in a field of daisies, the stone wall alongside a graveyard, a hedgerow dotted with wild-flowers, all looked amazing in that light. Alas, I had no camera, not even a phone, and within a few minutes the light had gone anyway.

More traffic about than I'd have anticipated, including one t#%t who came drifting around a gravelly left turn in his big pickup, laughing with his mate in the passenger seat, and needing all the road at the pace he was going only to discover me getting ready to turn right. I guess he never expected anyone to be there at 5:00. That's four rides I've been out in the lock-down and I've had to take evasive action on three of them.

Anyway.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A spin on the Galaxy today. Just my usual longer lockdown route: Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, Cross Houses and back via Condover.

It's really nice out :sun: but a bit breezy otherwise I'd have done something longer today. The A49 wasn't too bad, then the more minor roads were nice and quiet. A sudden stop was required just approching Ryton when a dog that had seemed happy walking along with its person decided to amble across into my path at the last moment. No harm done, I've proved the brakes work and I exchanged pleasantries with the chap.:laugh:

Changing direction northeastwards after Longnor I'd hoped the wind would give me a boost on the way to Acton Burnell, but it was more of a crosswind and I didn't really notice it helping much until the twisty bit just before the village. After Acton Burnell though I had some good stretches with the wind helping and was touching 25mph along the straight after Cound Moor. Sadly it didn't last as I turned back towards Harnage and Cound.

The A458 was fairly quiet but I was noticing the headwind more on the way to Cross Houses and Berrington, where I found the road past Berrington Hall unexpectedly closed. Not having seen any advanced notice I didn't know what the work was or if it was going to be passable to cyclists so I decided to err on the side of caution and take the other lane out of the village rather than retracing my steps to go round via the main road. The trouble with going this way is that it's a very badly maintained lane with a layer of sand on it in places, which made for some interesting riding.

At the Kingstreet crossroads I got back on track and it was a strong headwind still, but getting down on the drops helped with keeping the speed up. It was pretty much the same on the way to the A49, which was quieter than when I'd headed out.

A tweak to the saddle before this ride seems to have paid off well (setting up the new saddle on the Raleigh has made me rethink how I'd got this one set up) and it was a nice quick trip despite the wind, which according to the Met Office was 17 mph gusting to 29 while I was out. :ohmy:

Lots of cyclists out today.:okay: I lost count but think there were about twenty.

24.4 miles at 16 mph average. I didn't stop for photos this time.

Last edited:
I will post about two totally different rides if I may, a tale of two halves! Ride one one sunday was one of my slowest but with good reason. My wife has started on another six sessions of chemo and last tuesday was sick all day. By the weekend was fit and rearing to go and decided she wanted a bike ride. Took her round some quiet lanes and she was over the moon with 18.5 miles, apart from her rear end!
This morning I decided on my longest ride since last summer, past Coltishall camp through Dilham and onto the coast road at Bacton. Followed coast road to Cromer then headed inland via Metton, Aldbrough, Blickling and a loop around Reepham to pad out to 61.9 miles at 16.5.
Only thing that mildly annoyed me was chap on nice Colnago and wearing very colourful kit over took me between Dilham and Bacton. He was less than 1 metre from me on an empty road whenhe passed. But then wasn't quick enough to pull away but still decided to expel a snott rocket just in front! Made me smile as looked about my age but my bike has rack and bag, mudguards and dynamo lights so a fair bit heavier. Happily he soon turned off and didn't reply to my saying about the non social distancing pass and expelling of bodily fluids. Lovely ride though and only slight anoyance, nice to catch a site of the sea again.

Over a week off the bike for me due to a pulled muscle in my lower back. Who knew loading a dishwasher was so dangerous?

So it was nice to get out today even though the planned early off didn't happen. I finally got underway about 1pm. and it was pretty much local lanes, although I did get out to Bramham.
Passing a load of what I assume are 'free range' piggies on Compton Lane:
View attachment 523215

View attachment 523217

and over the road a mass of cornflowers looking like an expanse of water from a distance:
View attachment 523222

Up close they just look like.........well, flowers. Anyway in the sun it was very pretty.

I had to stop and fettle a couple of times because things were playing up but other than that it was an uneventful jaunt out but but still worth the effort.

27.6 miles and 1700ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/48994445
I think that you will find that it was a field of flax, that usually flowers after the rape finishes.

Yesterday and today:
Yesterday was out to Clearbrook plus a bit, to get it over the 18-mile mark. Or so I hoped, as both MapMyRide and Wahoo crapplications refused to play ball. As well, then, that @EltonFrog 's Cateye was on the job. So, no details bar miles covered. Very busy with walkers and cyclists, and Dartmoor visitor traffic at Bank Holiday levels. 18.34 miles. Just near the end, had the chain jam itself firmly into the frame. Took a backpedal kick to free it. More limit screw fettling needed...

Today: after much twiddling, off I went. Out on 27 as per usual, but I wasn't feeling it at all and turned around just south of the Gem Bridge. The FD is still pissing me off. To be honest, I'm regretting the reversion to drops, because the brifters are a travesty compared to flat-bar EZ-Fires. Time to swap back, and thank feck for also getting away from bar tape. Another nuisance I can do without.
7.94 miles, avg 8.8 mph, 774ft gain.
Let the conversion begin! Again!

I will post about two totally different rides if I may, a tale of two halves! Ride one one sunday was one of my slowest but with good reason. My wife has started on another six sessions of chemo and last tuesday was sick all day. By the weekend was fit and rearing to go and decided she wanted a bike ride. Took her round some quiet lanes and she was over the moon with 18.5 miles, apart from her rear end!
This morning I decided on my longest ride since last summer, past Coltishall camp through Dilham and onto the coast road at Bacton. Followed coast road to Cromer then headed inland via Metton, Aldbrough, Blickling and a loop around Reepham to pad out to 61.9 miles at 16.5.
Only thing that mildly annoyed me was chap on nice Colnago and wearing very colourful kit over took me between Dilham and Bacton. He was less than 1 metre from me on an empty road whenhe passed. But then wasn't quick enough to pull away but still decided to expel a snott rocket just in front! Made me smile as looked about my age but my bike has rack and bag, mudguards and dynamo lights so a fair bit heavier. Happily he soon turned off and didn't reply to my saying about the non social distancing pass and expelling of bodily fluids. Lovely ride though and only slight anoyance, nice to catch a site of the sea again.
You always get one anti social rider at least. Just goes to show that having a bike like that does`nt make you any faster or any better of person. A bit like the Masserati driver today as I was waiting to pull out of a junction, he could have indicated his intention he wanted to turn left but chose not to so I just waited longer. Glad your wife enjoyed her ride by the way.

Top Bottom