Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That bike had 42 x 21 for years as a 'kid' - I think I popped the 39 on over 10 years aogo

Was it one of these? A 13-21 6 speed think i had one way back when.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
View attachment 574403
Was it one of these? A 13-21 6 speed think i had one way back when.

Yep, freewheel to start, 6 speed, then upgraded it to 7 speed. I also had a Dura Ace equipped bike with 8 speed 13-21 or 12-19 for time trials - the days when you could swap sprockets about (and buy them). The Ribble is 8 speed 600 Tricolour and I think It will manage a 26 OK - the Dura Ace bike is supposed to do 26T but I'm not convinced - took some fettling to get a dinner plate 24 on :whistle:

We used to go up Winnats on 42 x 21 - insane - but I was in my early 20's

Yep, freewheel to start, 6 speed, then upgraded it to 7 speed. I also had a Dura Ace equipped bike with 8 speed 13-21 or 12-19 for time trials - the days when you could swap sprockets about (and buy them). The Ribble is 8 speed 600 Tricolour and I think It will manage a 26 OK - the Dura Ace bike is supposed to do 26T but I'm not convinced - took some fettling to get a dinner plate 24 on :whistle:

We used to go up Winnats on 42 x 21 - insane - but I was in my early 20's
I remember doing Poole to Stonehenge and back on that 13-21 in some fierce headwinds and getting 'bonk' at about 60 miles. You soon get over it when you are 20 odd ^_^

AndreaJ

Veteran
I have the week off work and a new winter/commuting bike so took it for its first ride today. Set off to Loppington, across to Nonely, Myddle, Burlton, Weston Lullingfields, the mudguard was slipping a bit and rubbing on the tyre so had to keep stopping to sort it until I remembered that I had cable ties in my saddle bag which I used for a quick solution. Carried on through Bagley then turned to Tetchill past Ellesmere College into Ellesmere, up Swan Hill which was very wet and turned to Welshampton, the mud by the farm was worse than last time and several inches deep which has destroyed the road surface as well which made an interesting ride down the hill, unfortunately when I got to the old railway bridge the road was flooded. It looked too deep to ride through and I couldn’t see the end of it so I had to turn round and go back through the mud up the hill and take a detour to Hampton Wood, Breadon Heath and back onto Stocks Lane by the school. Crossed over to the lane by the church to Lyneal, Northwood and home.
Lots of cyclists out today but not many people walking. Warmest day I have been out on my bike for a long time, 31.17 miles, new bike is now filthy ☹️

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Thank you for that, I do know about Kettleman Bridge but have only ever seen photos. It is understood to be Roman, I may pop down and explore some time.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I have the week off work and a new winter/commuting bike so took it for its first ride today. Set off to Loppington, across to Nonely, Myddle, Burlton, Weston Lullingfields, the mudguard was slipping a bit and rubbing on the tyre so had to keep stopping to sort it until I remembered that I had cable ties in my saddle bag which I used for a quick solution. Carried on through Bagley then turned to Tetchill past Ellesmere College into Ellesmere, up Swan Hill which was very wet and turned to Welshampton, the mud by the farm was worse than last time and several inches deep which has destroyed the road surface as well which made an interesting ride down the hill, unfortunately when I got to the old railway bridge the road was flooded. It looked too deep to ride through and I couldn’t see the end of it so I had to turn round and go back through the mud up the hill and take a detour to Hampton Wood, Breadon Heath and back onto Stocks Lane by the school. Crossed over to the lane by the church to Lyneal, Northwood and home.
Lots of cyclists out today but not many people walking. Warmest day I have been out on my bike for a long time, 31.17 miles, new bike is now filthy ☹
View attachment 574406

View attachment 574407

View attachment 574408
Wow! I haven't seen it flood by the bridge there before. It does look deep - I wouldn't have risked that either.

ianbarton

Veteran
Yesterday looked as though it might be the only decent weather this week. After an unpromising start to the day when I took the dog for a walk in the morning the weather cleared up at lunch time. I decided to explore some of the back lanes in Whixall. It's very easy to get lost and there are skeletons of cyclists who have tried in vain to escape the confusing web of unsignposted lanes.

I turned off into Ash Lane from Ash Parva. This is usually very muddy, but the recent biblical floods have mostly cleared the road. There is a bit of a challenge crossing the A41. There is a gap in the Armco barriers which allows cyclists to cross over. The road is very busy and you have to pick your moment. If you survive crossing the road it's a pleasant ride into Tilstock, where I paused to photograph the Church. Once you leave Tilstock it's straight into the maze of lanes. I hadn't been down this road for a while, but luckily I emerged onto the T Junction at Hollinwood near to the canal and I regained my bearings. From here I was on my often cycled back lanes and soon arrived at the turn off just before Dobsons Bridge. From there it's straightforward navigation back to Prees and the steep hill up to the church. A long downhill stretch took me back to the A49. This is in the middle of a long straight bit of road, so you get a good view of HGV's as they thunder towards you.

Once over the A49 I headed back to Ightfield, where a light drizzle started. No worries I wasn't too far from home. 51km cycled and 300 metres of ascent. I realized that I hadn't stopped at all on the ride and hadn't eaten anything, so I enjoyed several mugs of coffee and some almond slices.

vlcsnap-2021-02-18-13h53m17s299.png

Crossing the dual carriageway.

IMG_20210217_152942.jpg

Tilstock Church.

17-02-21-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England.png

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
the hill, unfortunately when I got to the old railway bridge the road was flooded. It looked too deep to ride through and I couldn’t see the end of it so I had to turn round and go back through the mud up the hill and take a detour to Hampton Wood, Breadon Heath and back onto Stocks Lane by the school. Crossed over to the lane by the church to Lyneal, Northwood and home.
That hill is steep! I always try to go that way in descent. However, I wouldn't have fancied wading through that flood.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Yesterday looked as though it might be the only decent weather this week. After an unpromising start to the day when I took the dog for a walk in the morning the weather cleared up at lunch time. I decided to explore some of the back lanes in Whixall. It's very easy to get lost and there are skeletons of cyclists who have tried in vain to escape the confusing web of unsignposted lanes.

I turned off into Ash Lane from Ash Parva. This is usually very muddy, but the recent biblical floods have mostly cleared the road. There is a bit of a challenge crossing the A41. There is a gap in the Armco barriers which allows cyclists to cross over. The road is very busy and you have to pick your moment. If you survive crossing the road it's a pleasant ride into Tilstock, where I paused to photograph the Church. Once you leave Tilstock it's straight into the maze of lanes. I hadn't been down this road for a while, but luckily I emerged onto the T Junction at Hollinwood near to the canal and I regained my bearings. From here I was on my often cycled back lanes and soon arrived at the turn off just before Dobsons Bridge. From there it's straightforward navigation back to Prees and the steep hill up to the church. A long downhill stretch took me back to the A49. This is in the middle of a long straight bit of road, so you get a good view of HGV's as they thunder towards you.

Once over the A49 I headed back to Ightfield, where a light drizzle started. No worries I wasn't too far from home. 51km cycled and 300 metres of ascent. I realized that I hadn't stopped at all on the ride and hadn't eaten anything, so I enjoyed several mugs of coffee and some almond slices.

View attachment 574490
Crossing the dual carriageway.

View attachment 574489
Tilstock Church.

View attachment 574491
I often get people who are lost in Whixall asking for directions, usually after they’ve been going round in circles for ages first!

Top Bottom