Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Just a short 12 mile circular local route this afternoon, lovely weather but very windy and some of the roads still filthy, great to be out though.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After my ridiculous encounter with a pilot whale on my last ride, I decided to return to the scene of the sighting, and headed for Framilode church, via another stretch of riverbank just a mile further downstream. Of course, nothing happened, and there was very little point in just staring at the water wanting a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence to occur again next time out. I did get a handful of photos of the area, though .... looking nice in the spring-like sunshine.

So, after a few extraordinary sightings in the last few rides, to summarise my wildlife spotting on Severnside today:
Deer .. 0; Flocks of cranes .. 0; Pilot whales .. 0; Pheasants .. s**t loads. So back to normal then. 19.5 very enjoyable lycra miles.
Cheers, Donger.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What's the plural of crocus? Crocuses or crocii? Anyway Mrs 26 wanted to ride to Coddington to view the display. As we rode away from Malvern we bumped into John B of the local CTC. So we were able to have a brief if distanced catch up. Then onward by the bank of snowdrops at The Knapp & Papermill. After admiring the crocus Mrs 26 headed homeward from Peg's Farm while I ventured over the Munsley lump for a run alongside The Marcles. It had been a bit of a struggle in the wind at times but I now had it helping a bit as I headed back from Much Marcle. 2 ravens and the odd buzzard seemed to think spring is on the way. 53 smiles
1613673669030.png

1613673701250.png

1613673742410.png

1613673769956.png

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another sunny morning so I decided to head into Whixall where I was fairly confident there would be no floods. Started out towards Northwood and into Whixall for a change I turned down Maltkiln Lane to cross the canal then back down the next lane to follow the tow path to Roving Bridge crossing back over the canal to the crossroads at Hollinswood. Keeping with the theme over another bridge to Fenns Bank, Fenns Wood turning over the last bridge to Alkington. Took the first turning to Tilstock then back to Hollinswood where I got a puncture ☹️, another big thorn. At least it was almost warm and sunny this time. Sorted the puncture and carried on to Waterloo, Horton and home. 22.5 miles. Saw quite a few other cyclists out today.
Picture from the first bridge.

Normally read this thread and catch up

but not today

PITA ride where I was into the wind ALL the way back - then decided to go along a 'black path' at the back of our house to see what the people making all the noise with chainsaaw etc had been doing

hence left turn off road while slowing down
bike did NOT want to turn but did
so did another slow turn left then one right

and fell off!!!!

front puncture AGAIN
That'ss the problem with goo in the tyres - it fixes the damn hole so you can't find it

so THAT'S IS - the old tyre that came with the bike is going to the spares shed and I'm getting Marathons

must have had a puncture every 2 weeks or so recently!!!

gavgav

Guru
My first ride in 11 days, due to the snow and ice, followed by rain. Met up with Doug, after working and we set out into the cool and very windy early evening. Nice to head out whilst still properly light though, which means Spring is coming and I think we all need that, especially this year. Soon got dark though!!

We began by heading through Betton Abbots, with some nasty side winds making it tricky in places and then turned into the strong headwind to Condover, before the steady climb up to Berriewood. I’d lost Doug on this climb and paused before the steep descent and then climb back up to Frodesley, for him to catch up and to make sure he was ok. He was struggling a bit, having not ridden much for a while now, but still said he was enjoying himself.

From Frodesley we had the wind mostly behind us and got some good speed up down to Acton Burnell and Pitchford, before the climb up to Cantlop. I’d lost Doug again and so pulled in at the top of the climb, to wait for him. I’d started to get a bit concerned, as he didn’t appear for a while, but he eventually did and said he’d hit a pothole, which had put him off a bit. We checked wheels and all were ok. He was struggling quite a bit though and so he decided to take the shorter route back home, rather than follow me back to mine.

It was really good to be out again and I’m hoping the weather will allow some more regular rides again now, although the next few days look rubbish.

16.8 miles at 11.4 mph avg and a surprising 950ft of climbing.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Hewitt at 11am for a slightly hillier ride than normal. Pretty mild at around 7° but it was drizzling and really windy. 26miles with and average of 13.1mph and 1600ft of up ....I love my Granny’s ring!😳

Old jon

Guru
There’s a change! Little splashes in the bird bath. Yup, it is raining. Just as the forecast reckoned it would. Well, it might wash some muck off the Spa, as long as I take it out for a ride.

So I did. And it was good to be out and riding, I don’t think there has been enough of it this year. Might be the legs think otherwise, they had best become used to it. Mostly east was the intention this morning, and it happened that way. Out to John o’ Gaunts through Hunslet. Not the most scenic, post industrial mess might be a fair description. Through Woodlesford, passing the railway station, then turn left to ride under the railway lines. Canal, still flooded fields, and River Aire to cross next on the way to Swillington.

A bit of breeze assistance through there, most welcome. At the top of the descent to Garforth, you can also see Hook Moor wind farm. This morning I never noticed it, maybe because I intended to pass nearer to it later. Across the railway bridge, a bit more of Garforth and then cross the motorway, which looked busy. Ride right next to the wind farm on the way to the gates of Lotherton Hall and turn left. This is Lotherton Lane, and there is a bench seat at the top, properly placed but with a limited view. Good to lean the bike on while eating.

Down the hill, into Aberford, a right and a left, careful of the ironmongery spread across that last turn, and this is Cattle Lane. No beasts using it this morning, though there was one of those enormous tractors, travelling in the other direction, if that counts. This road goes up a bit and then drops to cross Cock Beck. And then climbs again to Barwick in Elmet.

After leaving the village it occurred to me that the A58 would still be closed to traffic towards Leeds. Had to put the grey cell in gear to try and work out a way around that. By the time I had left Scholes, yup, a diversion decided on. Still head for the A58 along Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall Lanes, then turn right on the A58, as far as Whin Moor Lane. Then Shadwell, Slaid Hill and away from there to cross the Ring Road at Moortown, to take Harrogate Road towards Leeds.

Around two sides of Potternewton Park to aim for the end of Roseville Road, and then the usual route home, crossing the Aire at Crown Point, in the rain, and that last pedal to home and a grin. Thirty two miles and a bit more than 1700 feet made a welcome ride this morning.

Maps in two planes . . .

19022021.jpg

1902elev.jpg

A short ride to post the COVID test, and enjoy the last of the sunshine before the rain, and had to stop short in a pub car park to fix a snakebite!
I had just jumped a pothole, (which I knew was there) but being overtaken by a car, decided to keep my speed.
On landing, had an almost instant deflation and the tyre came off.
I left the wheel on, and tried the Scab, no adhesion, tried a Topeak patch, and again, no adhesion, so changed the tube.
Time saw me change direction towards the more local postbox, and I get home just as it started to rain.
So, just 5.5 miles today. Better than not going though.
2 tubes on order from Wiggle, due tomorrow, and a new patch kit, the old style, as I think that will be more reliable; I’m not sure why the 2 peel off patches didn’t stick?
99929172-0EE5-4C70-BF0A-34E521EA5154.jpeg

Last edited:
A short ride to post the COVID test, and enjoy the last of the sunshine before the rain, and had to stop short in a pub car park to fix a snakebite!
I had just jumped a pothole, (which I knew was there) but being overtaken by a car, decided to keep my speed.
On landing, had an almost instant deflation and the tyre came off.
I left the wheel on, and tried the Scab, no adhesion, tried a Topeak patch, and again, no adhesion, so changed the tube.
Time saw me change direction towards the more local postbox, and I get home just as it started to rain.
So, just 5.5 miles today. Better than not going though.
2 tubes on order from Wiggle, due tomorrow, and a new patch kit, the old style, as I think that will be more reliable; I’m not sure why the 2 peel off patches didn’t stick?
View attachment 574680
I prefer proper old type patches

but the ones I have at the moment - cheap from Chine but looked OK
are b***y awful - foil on the back peals off with difficulty
then you stick it on the rubber stuff
and then you are supposed to peal off the plastic covering on the other side
which is damn near impossible without also pealing of the whole damn patch

but LBS only has self adhesive ones now - or a full puncture kit which I don't need!!!
In the old day I could go to the LBS and get a pack of 20 (or so ) new patches and a bigger tube of rubber stuff to top up the original repair kit which always dried up a week after first use!
but nowaday we have the WWW - and you order stuff with no idea if it is good or rubbish

grumble grumble moan winge

@ebikeerwidnes yes, I’m beginning to agree, although, I repaired a tube on the tandem with scabs, and never even had to change the tube, even during the following 2 years!
I’ll go back to the glue and patch method, but at least I’ll have a spare tube with me in any case.
Not sure why though. It was a dry tube, but the patches didn’t stick, at all.

When I was a teenager I used to ride all over the pace - OK not on as many paths as I do today

But I don;t remember having loads of punctures
I remember having to carry a pump and using it a few time - but not often - and I don;t remember carrying a spare tube or having to patch at the roadside
or walk home

were tyres harder or something in the 1970s/80s???

@ebikeerwidnes yes, I agree, I’m sure I never had more than a couple a year, and always used the standard glue/patch repair, without issue. Sometimes an inner tube would have 5 or 6 patches. That would have been with almost bald too.
I’m not sure why a got a snake bite either, the pressure was pretty high, for my rollers and road surface rather than lower for gravel.
Just unlucky I guess.

Top Bottom