Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Out for the first club ride of the year. I arrived in time for the social group ride (rather than for one of the faster rides) and, as there were too many people for one group, we split into two groups with me leading one.

Our route was a mix of tiny back lanes and main roads to make up an enjoyable 34 miles. Today's ride had a great group including one new to the club - everyone helped the new rider to get round as they were finding it a little difficult. I think there may have been one too many hills at the beginning of the ride which brought on the fatigue. All hills were conquered and the new rider completed the whole route with a smile at the end. Most impressively, they put up with my inane chatter - a distraction to take their mind off the distance - as a naturally un-chatty person, this was quite a feat on my behalf! How do chatty people think of so many different things to talk about! 🤔

The café was open for our planned stop at Sherwood Forest 🌳. This was fine for most, but with a limited menu on offer and me with an egg-allergy, it made interesting. I had the one token vegan cake - a chocolate and salted caramel slice; that was much nicer than expected. We didn't see Robin Hood before anyone asks. He was no doubt hiding in the trees.

There were a number of idiot drivers on the roads today. Much more than when on previous club rides. One chap in a black Ferrari came very close to two of our riders. It shook our newbie rider up a little. I tried to reassure that this was the exception rather than the rule. I shouldn't have had to reassure them at all - there was no need for the driver to cut us up like that on an open road.

One of our number dropped off the back for toilet stop. We waited in a field gateway at the top of the hill when about 40 sheep 🐑 suddenly stampeded across the field on the other side of the gate thinking we had arrived for feeding time. Baaaa'd luck for them, unfortunately 😁

There really are some pretty little villages in Derbyshire and we were fortunate to ride through one or two of them today. Some of the houses look like something out of a fairy tale.

We arrived back at our starting point with smiles all around and an enjoyable time had. Looking forward to the next one.

No photos unfortunately. I always forget to take some.

34 mi / 54.8 km and 1,788ft / 545m elevation

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A chilly one, today. I was out in my shorts, despite it being about 3 degrees when I left home, as I was doing a long ride and didn't want to boil in the bag towards the end of my ride. The second Kingsway CC club ride of the year again saw exactly six people turning up, and we headed off to Sharpness docks and back via Slimbridge, Frocester and Stonehouse. It stayed dry and I gradually warmed up during the club ride. Great company as usual. We parted ways about a mile short of Kingsway, as I set off back down the lanes to Frampton to put in the necessary extra miles to bring up 63.1 miles (101.5km). From the 50 mile mark for the next 3 miles I got caught in a hailstorm. I didn't have to stop to put on my rain top as it was just bouncing off me, but it wasn't particularly pleasant.

Got home 5hrs 39mins after setting off. Quite pleased with that. I wish I'd brought my camera, as there was a most unusual view of the Malvern Hills from the waterfront at Epney. Surreally, the sky behind the hills was a brooding dark grey, but the hills (which were lit up by bright sunlight) were bright green except for the peak on the right which, alone, was covered in snow. Another great ride done, and I'm still in the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge. I probably wouldn't have gone out if it wasn't a club ride, but I'm really glad I did. Cold weather cycling can be quite exhilarating.

Cheers, Donger.

Mike_P

Guru
A morning much like yesterday apart from a wind stronger enough to be annoyance; a hinderance when riding into but of little assistance as a tailwind. The hindrance hit me as I headed north to the A59; I had actually meant to start out like Mondays ride through the Country Park but automatically turned right rather than left.

To gain the intended route meant the climb of the middle Oaker Bank which I have recently been avoiding. At least the wind direction meant it was partly helpful aside from being a partial cross wind on the S bend approach off the decent of the northern Oaker Bank. Onto Penny Pot and down to Hampsthwaite like last Monday, then south-west to Swincliffe Top the steeper way; max of 13.7%, a false flat and a then a max of 13.9%.

A decent then into the almost hidden valley of the, seemingly lost, township of Felliscliffe, described as such in a 1870s gazetteer, it is now a Parish name only. Only the watercourse gets out of the valley in a downward direction and westbound, as I was, is a series of ramps and false flats through Tang to the third character AZ of Kettlesing.

I had noticed a snow line on the distant hills and in particular once beyond the village verges and field edges showed signs of such. Up to Kettlesing Head and a short zig zag across the A59 to head south west to pick up Penny Pot eastbound. The snowish verges continued a fair distance east until the elevation dropped sufficiently. A few clouds had filtered the sun but the otherwise it stayed fine contrary to the weather forecast (actually turned out be correct sometime later; 4.20pm) which it seemed most had believed as I only saw one other cyclist the whole ride which I ended by heading through the Country Park with only one dog reluctant to move out of way. 12.74 miles 1030ft climbed.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Another frozen April Sunday, but ice or not, I was going out.

Three below zero again, and as it had been raining last night there was a lot of ice on the cars, however, there was no ice on the roads.

The plan today was a jaunt towards the back lanes between Hallow and Ockeridge, which I haven't been to for a while.

Sun was already out at 6:30 when I set off, and there was no wind, but it was COLD. First destination was Hallow, so out via St Peters, and then through town, past the Cathedral, and then past the University.

Hallow came quick, past the new site of Worcester Cycle Centre, and then a left turn for Ockeridge via Sinton Green. From Sinton Green there's a gradual climb to Ockeridge, which got the legs warming up. After Ockeridge I carried up the hill to the Martley Rd, where I took a left for Martley. here I noticed that there was snow on the fields, and the air was noticeably colder.
IMG_20210411_074412067.jpg

From here Martley came quick, and then follow on down to Lower Broadheath via Wichenford. I was glad to reach Lower Broadheath, as the air was warmer here, and my lips were finally getting the feeling back. Here I stopped by the entrance to Elgar's birthplace for a drink and a bite, but got moving soon as I was cooling down too quickly.

Next destination was Leigh Sinton via Bransford. The road was busier than I expected with lorries, but they were all patient and gave plenty of room. Half way to Leigh Sinton the mist was finally lifting, and this was the view of the hills.
IMG_20210411_082356867.jpg

It could almost be Switzerland. This view is the opposite end to the one @Donger mentioned in his post.

As the mist lifted, the sun was now warming, which made the cycling easier. Up Stocks Ln, and then head to Upton via Madresfield, Guarlford and Hanley.

After Upton my legs started to flag, and my speed dropped significantly, and going up Kinnersley and Pirton was a bit of a struggle.

Made it home in just about three hours, with another 43 miles under my belt.

The map
Screenshot_20210411-210109~2.png

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was a bright sunny morning which almost felt warm in my garden out of the breeze but I decided to stick with the jacket and gloves just in case. Set off to Loppington, Nonely and up the hill to Myddle, down Lower Road passing a few dog walkers to Merrington , Old Woods and turned to Eyton. Over the railway crossing to Baschurch where the children’s football has restarted which looked very popular. Took the turning to Stanwardine and it started to snow, carried on to Bagley hoping it would soon go as there was still some blue sky about. Turned off at Hordley to Lee where the snow and hail was getting worse and onto Ellesmere where the cars were all covered in snow, turned off up Swan Hill and the sun was out and the roads were dry. Changed my plans and headed in the direction of the sun rather than the big black cloud to Breadon Heath, Hampton Bank, Lyneal, Loppington , Horton and back home with no more snow. Glad I had a jacket on but should have left the mudguards on as well! Quite a few other cyclists out again. 37.6 miles. Thought I finished riding in snow in winter.
D65A9C17-3B76-4CA9-830B-69B4F2D21615.jpeg

Decided to go out for a fairly fast "Tempo" ride today, got all the gear on went to blow the tyres up and thought the rear tyre looks a bit weird. Inner tube was coming out through a split in the sidewall. The tyres were Michelin Power competition which were actually the ones I put on last weekend, they were brand new but had been in storage in my loft for the last 3 years and I had decided to use them up on my "best" wheels.
well another trip to the loft was needed and I dragged out a virtually unused Vittoria corsa. ( I have loads of tyres in the loft from the days when me and the kids used to race) .
Weird thing I found was the Michelins were 25mm and last weekend I felt they were a bit sketchy and they did not look right on my old reynolds wheels which havea thin profile compared to new wheels, the Corsa's were 23mm and just seemed too suit the wheels better and seemed to have more grip.
Well the ride went fairly well within 2 miles I saw a fellow club member ahead and thought he was going a bit slow so I caught him and had a very brief hello and pushed on. Afterwards I felt maybe I should have slowed and chatted for a while but I was on a bit of a mission.
Finished the 50 at a 18.2 average which I though ok for a old geezer and even got a top 10 overall which made me pleased till I realised it was out of a whole 172 people.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5108978352

got all the gear on went to blow the tyres up and thought the rear tyre looks a bit weird. Inner tube was coming out through a split in the sidewall. The tyres were Michelin Power competition which were actually the ones I put on last weekend, they were brand new but had been in storage in my loft for the last 3 years and I had decided to use them up on my "best" wheels.
yikes! :wacko:

The photos look great.
thank you I appreciate you saying so! I regret joking about your question. lots of ppl on the internet make special arrangements to get photos/videos & it was a legit question. I love the drone videos some ppl do. I've hung my sport cam from a kite for during a break while beach driving on Martha's Vinyeard, but that's certainly not practical for cycling

Old jon

Guru
Bright and frosty and I want to ride! Did not exactly dash out of the door into the dawn, but broddled about a bit after a leisurely breakfast and then took a bike out. It was a whole one degree warmer, see?

As if one degree made a difference, but I persuaded myself it did. It’s a day for difference, perhaps, so instead of turning right for a trawl around Holbeck, I turned left and gave Hunslet my attention. Well, travelled through a bit of it on the way to John o’ Gaunts. There is a left turn to Woodlesford, and a sort of steep descent to the A642, where I turned left. After crossing canal and river the road rises. One step, two steps then all the way through Swillington, still rising until you are rewarded with a view of Garforth. Bit of a soggy cornflake really.

But never mind. Pedal around the northern side of the town, over the motorway, and the B1217 goes to Lotherton Gates. And the left turn to Aberford. Then I remembered. The usual end to this route is not available, a road is closed until August, and today is the day to look at one way around this closed road. I am riding the Bob Jackson, which has 25 wide slicks for tyres. Hmm. OK, Aberford, Cattle Lane to Barwick and before reaching the maypole turn right for Potterton. Then Kiddal, another right on the A64 and look for the left onto Mangrill Lane.

I have ridden past each end of this lane many many times. Today is the second time I have ridden along it, the first time was when a club member showed it to a few of us last year. Wider tyres would be better. So, Thorner next, and out of there on Carr Lane, all the way to the A58. Time to make up my mind. OK, turn left. Next time I will ride straight on to Shadwell, this stretch of the A58 is plain ‘orrible, with the other roadworks that are happening.

Not far to the Ring Road, and down that big hill. Past the spare park gates on the way to the clock at Oakwood, then more downhill almost all the way to the edge of town centre. Back across the river and the now usual mystery tour through another bit of Hunslet on the way to home. The end of the street was almost reached, nope, I am not just riding two tenths of a mile short, I want the full thirty miles! Around a block sorted that, the rideupwards totalled a bit better than 1700 feet, and I had a grin on my mug. Good to go out.

The places I go . . .

12042021.jpg

1204elev.jpg

Bike selected; CGR, as I was on woodland/sandy tracks/bridleways
Weather; cool, broken cloud-cover, slight breeze
Photographs from today; unless dated otherwise
Geograph used; to illustrate points not covered by my own images (& to give a map location)

Not going to write much, unless someone actually requests an edit (to extend...)

Just a potter about, starting same route as yesterday, but keeping going past the Ponds, to cross the 'haul road' into Welbeck Land-Fill

Across into the back of Kirkthorpe Hall, & the adjacent Church of St Peter the Apostle, with its 9 graves of Benedictine Nuns, who'd sought sanctuary at Heath Old Hall (demolished) to escape the French Revolution

(photographs will be added later, to the Geographs thread)

Along the Trans-Pennine Trail alongside 'Half-Moon' - an oxbow lake, formed by the embankment for the railway, circa 1840 (River Calder)

Turning north-west on the Ashfields Trail (which passes through the area where the waste from Wakefield Power Station was pumped to)

Along this path, back towards the River Calder, at Broad Reach Lock (a 'flood lock' for the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal)

This is along the track, 'straight ahead' in the picture below; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6590708

More if requested

bagpuss

Guru
I waited until 10am to see if it would warm up . It did a little, so I sallied forth to Uttoxeter via Sudbury with a nagging head wind all the way .Greggs at Uttoxeter for a coffee & a bake .Back up the hill to Doveridge and down to Foston .Here I started zig zaging up and down the network of lanes that make up this part of the Derbyshire country side .

Swinscoe Hill on the edge of the Weaver Hills made for a fine prospect at the village of Thurvaston .

Passing thro the villages of Church Broughton ,Longford ,Thurvaston ,Cropper top , Sutton on the Hill , Trusley and Radbourne . They all added to the pleasure of the ride .I noticed the pub gardens as I got back to Derby had a few blue looking folk huddled round outside tables .
Another chilly day but I was pleased i had been out amongst Derbyshires scenery .

AndreaJ

Veteran
Still a bit cool and my plan to avoid getting snowed on again was to go round the big black cloud which appeared just before I left. Started off to Northwood and into Whixall following the towpath for a while before rejoining the lanes. Turned onto Goblins Lane across to Abbeygreen and Edstaston, onto Ryebank, Horton and Loppington. The roads had all been dry until Loppington where it had obviously been raining but dry again when I got past the village, turned up to English Frankton, Colemere around Colemere to Lyneal, back to Northwood and home and dry. 23.4 miles.
BC249CD8-6579-4964-B120-D6CE422825DD.jpeg

Top Bottom