Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We are in the midst of our LEJOG and I'm too knackered to do a daily write up here, sorry.

Here is the Strava link with a brief narrative and a bunch of photos. Yesterday was 84 hilly miles Camelford to Wellington. Tip top night out in Wellington. Today is 103 miles Wellington to Gloucester. At least it's flat

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/QXBpXklRwhb

We are in the midst of our LEJOG and I'm too knackered to do a daily write up here, sorry.

Here is the Strava link with a brief narrative and a bunch of photos. Yesterday was 84 hilly miles Camelford to Wellington. Tip top night out in Wellington. Today is 103 miles Wellington to Gloucester. At least it's flat

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/QXBpXklRwhb

Good for you. Hope the ride goes well...

I used to live in Wellington so you're probably going to follow a bit of my old commute to Taunton...

Four of us rode my 400 at the weekend. For S it was going to be a real challenge, and we ended up taking pretty much maximum time. For me this was fortunate, not being fit & having a few health problems just at the moment. I did have to make a break for it at the end to catch my train (we couldn't book four bikes on one train), but a relatively gentle ride meant I wasn't wrecked at the end. Sorry, not many pics.

View attachment 596659
Glastonbury Tor 11 miles distant

View attachment 596658
Salisbury Plain

View attachment 596660
Waiting for the train
That bike is a beauty :okay: Well done on the 400 ^_^

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride: I had a free day and the forecast looked nice so set my alarm early and aimed to get out and do my second Lunacy Challenge ride.

This one had been planned at quite short notice so I mostly wasn't very adventurous with the route. The village was strangely quiet as I set out - possibly folk sleeping in a bit after celebrating the football win the previous night? The A49 was about as busy as I'd usually expect for the time of the morning and the traffic well behaved except for the one small white van that came a little close then swerved in front unnecessarily. Thankfully it's only ever a short stretch on this road before turning off towards Condover then Ryton.

After crossing the A49 again and heading through Stapleton I paused in a gateway and found it had already warmed up enough to dispense with the fleece I'd needed at the start. Coming up behind a rider with two horses near the crossroads near Annscroft I thought I might as well hang back until they turned off, which appeared to be appreciated.

The road remained quiet to Plealey and it wasn't too bad riding through Pontesbury this time either. Perhaps I missed the shift changeover for the dairy and the corned beef factory in Minsterley. The road through Horsebridge was nice for once - after about three years of waiting, some proper road patching has been done to smooth out all the worst bits.^_^

Westbury came and went without incident but I had a bit of a wait at Halfway House to cross the A458. After this I took to the climb to Bulthy and the valley that sits between Middletown Hill and the Breidden. This is quite a pull but to me is worth it to ride through the hidden and usually quiet valley. Today it wasn't that quiet though and I needed to pull in for several vehicles. On the steep descent I met a tractor which took up the entire width of the road so that I had to climb back up to the nearest place to pass, then shortly after that met a van whose driver didn't even slow down as I tried to squeeze myself into the bank.:dry:

The views restored my good mood after that little incident and I enjoyed dropping down to the plain then riding round the foot of the Breidden. Down here some of the buildings from the old military radio station have been converted into houses. I was quite jealous of the one that had a barn, inside which I could see a traction engine, and also has a garden big enough to have a locomotive and brake van on a short length of track.

After passing the stone quarry at Criggion I had the road practically to myself for a bit and made good progress to Crew Green and Melverley. A snack stop was taken on the way to Argoed (remembered the food this time :okay:) then it was onwards to Kinnerley and Pentre. There were a few more cyclists around by now and I passed a couple of groups before the climb at Wilcott which was taken steadily and showed that the earlier climbing had taken more out of me than I'd thought. From Baschurch I took the lane through Fenemere to Myddle then headed for Harmer Hill. I was finding the climbs on this section rather plodding and couldn't seem to get comfortable on the saddle this time so didn't enjoy the section through Hadnall and Astley very much.

I had enough miles in hand to head home the most direct way but opted instead for the flatter route to Poynton Grange, Roden and Rodington Heath. Having been that way before I thought I'd avoid Withington by using Drury Lane, which was quite pleasant, but came across signs warning of an unexpected road closure on the lane I wanted to use next. I was able to get round it but it was a minor annoyance.

The route home was the usual one through Upton Magna, Atcham, Berrington and Kingstreet. The climbs were slow and I decided to cut things short near the end by going through Allfield. I wasn't expecting a headwind for the bit back to the A49.

69.6 miles this time at 13.1 mph moving average. That one was hard going and really shows up the lack of recent miles. The weather was really lovely though which made it great to be out.

Near Stapleton early in the ride.

Early in the climb to Bulthy and looking towards the hills where I'm headed.

Up among the hills somewhere between Belle Eisle Farm (not a typo) and Bryn.

Starting the descent to the Severn flood plain.

Part way down the descent there is a great viewpoint. I need to drop down a bit more before passing the white painted farm on the left of shot.

Looking up at the Breidden. Rodney's Pillar is up at the summit and on the right of shot there is the big chunk taken out of the hill by decades of quarrying.

Jumping on a bit now; Cottage in a pretty setting near Harmer Hill.

Taking the flatter option later in the ride.

Mike_P

Guru
Out on the ebike this am on work related matters when something seemed a bit weird with its handling. Transpired the front wheel was working loose, it has a Allen key fitted axle and of course no multitool in the rucksack:sad: Hand tightened and predictably exhibited a need for re-tightening when turning right on a right turn lane of an A road and when seeking to pass a pedestrian on the grass. 7.58 less memorable miles with 522ft of elevation.

gavgav

Guru
Yesterday's ride: I had a free day and the forecast looked nice so set my alarm early and aimed to get out and do my second Lunacy Challenge ride.

This one had been planned at quite short notice so I mostly wasn't very adventurous with the route. The village was strangely quiet as I set out - possibly folk sleeping in a bit after celebrating the football win the previous night? The A49 was about as busy as I'd usually expect for the time of the morning and the traffic well behaved except for the one small white van that came a little close then swerved in front unnecessarily. Thankfully it's only ever a short stretch on this road before turning off towards Condover then Ryton.

After crossing the A49 again and heading through Stapleton I paused in a gateway and found it had already warmed up enough to dispense with the fleece I'd needed at the start. Coming up behind a rider with two horses near the crossroads near Annscroft I thought I might as well hang back until they turned off, which appeared to be appreciated.

The road remained quiet to Plealey and it wasn't too bad riding through Pontesbury this time either. Perhaps I missed the shift changeover for the dairy and the corned beef factory in Minsterley. The road through Horsebridge was nice for once - after about three years of waiting, some proper road patching has been done to smooth out all the worst bits.^_^

Westbury came and went without incident but I had a bit of a wait at Halfway House to cross the A458. After this I took to the climb to Bulthy and the valley that sits between Middletown Hill and the Breidden. This is quite a pull but to me is worth it to ride through the hidden and usually quiet valley. Today it wasn't that quiet though and I needed to pull in for several vehicles. On the steep descent I met a tractor which took up the entire width of the road so that I had to climb back up to the nearest place to pass, then shortly after that met a van whose driver didn't even slow down as I tried to squeeze myself into the bank.:dry:

The views restored my good mood after that little incident and I enjoyed dropping down to the plain then riding round the foot of the Breidden. Down here some of the buildings from the old military radio station have been converted into houses. I was quite jealous of the one which had a barn in which I could see a traction engine and a garden big enough to have a locomotive and brake van on a short length of track.

After passing the stone quarry I had the road practically to myself for a bit and made good progress to Crew Green and Melverley. A snack stop was taken on the way to Argoed (remembered the food this time :okay:) then it was onwards to Kinnerley and Pentre. There were a few more cyclists around by now and I passed a couple of groups before the climb at Wilcott which was taken steadily and showed that the earlier climbing had taken more out of me than I'd thought. From Baschurch I took the lane through Fenemere to Myddle then headed for Harmer Hill. I was finding the climbs on this section rather plodding and couldn't seem to get comfortable on the saddle this time so didn't enjoy the section through Hadnall and Astley very much.

I had enough miles in hand to head home the most direct way but opted instead for the flatter route to Poynton Grange, Roden and Rodington Heath. Having been that way before I thought I'd avoid Withington by using Drury Lane, which was quite pleasant, but came across signs warning of an unexpected road closure on the lane I wanted to use next. I was able to get round it but it was a minor annoyance.

The route home was the usual one through Upton Magna, Atcham, Berrington and Kingstreet. The climbs were slow and I decided to cut things short near the end by going through Allfield. I wasn't expecting a headwind for the bit back to the A49.

69.6 miles this time at 13.1 mph moving average. That one was hard going and really shows up the lack of recent miles. The weather was really lovely though which made it great to be out.

View attachment 596807
Near Stapleton early in the ride.

View attachment 596798
Early in the climb to Bulthy and looking towards the hills where I'm headed.

View attachment 596799
Up among the hills somewhere between Belle Eisle Farm (not a typo) and Bryn.

View attachment 596800
Starting the descent to the Severn flood plain.

View attachment 596801
Part way down the descent there is a great viewpoint. I need to drop down a bit more before passing the white painted farm on the left of shot.

View attachment 596802
Looking up at the Breidden. Rodney's Pillar is up at the summit and on the right of shot there is the big chunk taken out of the hill by decades of quarrying.

View attachment 596803
Jumping on a bit now; Cottage in a pretty setting near Harmer Hill.

View attachment 596804
Taking the flatter option later in the ride.
Most of Minsterley is current isolating, due to a large Covid outbreak and so that’s probably why you sailed through without much traffic!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
The sole aim today, get out, dont overdo it. Struggled for the last 3 weeks with OA flare ups but the sun, a day odff and a few hours to myself...its too much to pass over.
13 miles at no pace, even on an ebike. Fabulous smells and sights of the countryside, just a joy to be out there.

Not one for average speeds, times and all that, but the last 5 or 6 miles pegged at 21mph (wind assisted) was good fun this evening. You often get a good breeze along the Dee cycleway, a pleasure in summer, not quite the same when its raining and 3c in February :sad:.
So a 19 mile utility ride, with a good 'whoosh' back to Chester at the end :okay:

C R

Guru
Took daughter two to karate in Hanley Castle, and the bike in the back of the car for me to go for a spin while she learns how to beat up people with a broom handle.

Just under 13 miles going out via Guarlford and Bernards Green and back past the three counties showground and Clive's fruit farm. Quite a few cars on the road, as it was just after six, but all the drivers were well behaved.

The map
Screenshot_20210701-201648_Connect.jpg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Going great guns - today I reached 200 miles for the year so far. Onwards and upwards!

More importantly, for the first since last winter it felt good. I don't care about speed nowadays but if I can once again believe that my legs will carry on turning all day if I ask them to, I'll be happy.

I've finished other rides this year pretty discouraged, but this time I'm looking forward to the next one.

There was a strange incident at about 13 miles; on a narrow road I found myself approaching about a dozen ramblers, retirement-age folks (like me), walking towards me occupying the whole road. The first couple of rows parted, but a lady towards the back didn't register my presence until I was almost under her nose. As I slipped past she said "Haven't you got a bell, love?" I have, but I hadn't seen the need to alert people in that way when they were walking straight towards me in the middle of the road. So I continued, metaphorically scratching my head. I suppose it's true that when you encounter a large group of people spread across the road, those not in the front rank might not be able to see you. I'll bear that in mind.

I tried to imagine what their conversation might have been afterwards. More than likely it included "And he wasn't even wearing a helmet. Pffft!"

In fact that incident probably pepped me up a bit. I carried on in leisurely fashion, stopping for lunch by the M50 overbridge at Ripple. The motorway heading across the Severn:

This used to be a double bridge, the railway butted up against the road, but the railway closed a couple of years after the M50 opened.

Yes, I really am looking forward to the next one!

Old jon

Guru
What a day for a bike ride! So I did, me and Bob Jackson (the bike) went away north. The sun shining occasionally, gentle breezes, and warmth.

Not too warm, though riding up through Chapeltown to Moortown kept the personal temperature high. Slaid Hill to Wike and turn left on Forge Lane, back to the A61 to reach Harewood. Ride through the park, it is much quieter than Harewood Bank and it’s traffic. Though there were impressive numbers of antlers, with stags attached, to be seen in the deer park. The other side of a fence, they were. Which made me happy.

A short length of the A659 takes me back to the Harrogate Road, continue northwards to the right turn onto Swinton Lane, which goes to Kirkby Overblow after a bit of climbing. Which is worth the effort, turn right in the village and the views over Wharfedale are wonderful. The mist that obscured scenery earlier, in Harewood park, must have lifted. Anyway, carry on to Sicklinghall, there is more to see and more pedalling to do too. A bit up and down along here. Right at the top of the village is a layby sort of thing, complete with rubbish bin which is ideal for the munch debris. And a rest.

Down through the village, held up a bit by a four wheeled thing being cautious. Understandable really, there is some random parking being practised, and made perfect, here. Go downhill, soon go uphill. And the road twists and turns a bit as well, more obvious when the hedges are so full and big, limiting sight lines a surprising amount. Soon reach the right turn onto Northgate Lane.

And then Linton. Turn right again, pass the Windmill pub and then down the hill to the bridge across the River Wharfe, and into Collingham. This is the shorter way to the bottom of Jewitt Lane, shorter than riding through Wetherby, certainly. And this time I rode all the way to the top of Jewitt Lane, there is more rising road after the crossroads with Compton Lane. Made the lungs work a bit.

Then things ease off, Holme Farm Lane and Milner Lane lead to Thorner for me today. Only a small bit of that village, Carr Lane is the way out until Skeltons Lane is open to traffic again. So it is the A58 to ride back in the direction of home, turning off to pass the clock at Oakwood on the way to Leeds’ centre and the most convenient bridge to cross the Aire and reach home. With a grin, thirty six miles and nineteen hundred feet of climbing. Has to be good!

Two dimensional things . . .

0207elev.jpg

02072021.jpg

Top Bottom