Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A "get out of the house or you'll go nuts" ride today.
Took the Revell mixte, as mentioned up there ^^^ somewhere. All good, headset didn't fall off. All smooth, not very busy at first. Stopped half way up Leg O'Mutton ramp, drink and energy bar, and a rest. Let a couple get past, then remounted. They were spinning some quite low gears, while I bottomed out at 36-36, so although they'd done it in one hit, they were knackered and I began to reel them in. Then, of course, they reached the top first, and simply vanished...
I did actually keep them within a few yards all the way to Clearbrook. They went down past the pub as per NCN27, I took off right at the bridge for my latest loop, which is steeper even that the LoM ramp. I'm never even going to *think* about going UP this one. Down is so steep, that you need to fling your butt back off the saddle, or front braking will see you over the top. The road surface is crap too, so it's actually quite nasty. The final stretch to where you can rejoin NCN27 is straight and swift, very enjoyable. Back on to the NCN, heading back to Tavistock. Passed my two erstwhile companions. Now it was very busy, with many families coming out after lunch, and it remained so all the way home.
A good ride, the mixte just worked, as it does, and the weather was great, not too hot.
Stats:

Might be more tomorrow, but pretty knackered after not much sleep last night.
Edit: this sees me passing 2020's total of 605 by a couple of miles, so well ahead! To clarify, the ticker total if from November 2020 to end 2021.
Reason for 2nd edit: misspelt 'edit'.

Last edited:
Brilliant ride today - enjoyed it so much. I had a day at the seaside with my bike!

The ride to the station was about 3.5 miles and ... interesting ... lots of confusing roadworks once I got off the canal and eventually I emerged from a maze of alleyways, ginnels and cut-throughs with the station in sight. Confusion reigned as inside it has all changed since I was last there! Eventually I sorted my ticket, then saw what appeared to be subway access to the platforms. Well there was a nice ramp down so why wouldn't there be ramps back up too? There were no warnings that there weren't ...:angry:

Fortunately a willing, sturdy, young man offered to carry the bike up the stairs for me. Thanks! The chap from Northern Rail on the platform wasn't sure which end of the train the bike section would be, but as it was only a 2-carriage train, there wasn't much to go wrong! I went and waited by the one other cyclist so that if any more turned up and the staff got sticky about the 'more than two' rule, it was clear that we were there first. Although if it had got sticky, my bike could've been folded to make space. I needed only minimal help to board, and that only because I'm very short so simply can't reach far enough. Nowhere and nothing to attach bikes to, so we had to perch/lean and hold them ourselves, but Preston - Lytham is only 20 minutes, so it wasn't a hardship. Also in the space were two lads with scooters, two mums with buggies, and a bloke with some very odd and large bits of fishing equipment that had to be held at awkward angles in order to prevent them hitting the roof of the carriage/people's heads in the seats about five rows down/blocking the aisles etc - but he managed OK, long practice I think!

Disembarking all went surprisingly smoothly, as we'd shared where we were getting off and arranged ourselves accordingly as the train left Preston. Lytham station itself had not a single step - excellent , easy access! - and the old station building is now an attractive looking bar/grill.

After winding my way through the back streets of Lytham, I came out exactly where I wanted to be and crossed the road over to the 'greens' and onto the sea-edge shared path, just a little way south of the windmill. Bright, warm day though it was, the wind was blowing fairly briskly from the north and I was cycling into the teeth of it. Why oh why hadn't I stayed on the train up to Squires Gate or even Blackpool South, then I'd have been cycling south with the wind behind me helping me on my way? I'd have arrived in Lytham cool, relaxed and still with plenty of energy ...

It was what it was, though, and off I set, only to stop soon for some delicious ice-cream (it's a necessary part of being at the seaside I always think!) and onward again, the northerly breeze strengthening. Lots of people cycling towards me but not as many passing me as I had expected. I don't think it was because I'd increased my speed - more that they were being even more hindered by the wind than I was! Just past the Fairhaven Lakes I stopped again at a little trailer for a really good coffee and a pastry, and sat there for a while; the breeze could hardly be felt in even the tiny bit of shelter from the trailer and it was warm ...

Off again, on a 'shared pavement', which at times really wasn't quite wide enough, alongside a not-too-busy and not very fast road. The saving grace of the inadequate shared path was the nature of the road it's on and I was happy to use the road. As I approached St Annes, it started getting busier; fortunately the shared track moved away from the road and soon it was full 'seaside resort' mode, which of necessity became much slower cycling - ornamental gardens, playgrounds, miniature golf, children's funfair, a clean beach of golden sand with lots of digging activity, buckets and spades for sale - and a spacious, spotless, tiled paddling pool in which a multitude of happy children were having the time of their lives, free of charge. Past the small pier, then back to the sand dunes, again having a 'shared pavement' beside a now busier, and much faster, road. Of course I could ride in that road too, but that is not my idea of 'fun' or 'relaxing' ...

As I was passing Blackpool Airport inland to me, I was suddenly not just annoyed with this apology for a half-decent cycle path but tired of the north wind, and had no fancy for cycling through the raucous delights of Blackpool Promenade either. Just before I arrived in Blackpool proper, I turned inland to Squires Gate station. Phew! I was glad of the prospect of being out of the wind as much as anything. 7.2 miles from Lytham Station to Squires Gate Station. Again a pleasant sturdy young man offered to carry my bike up a flight of steps for me and I had only a short wait before I got the train back to Preston.

This time back in Preston, I knew where to find the lifts on the platforms, which decanted me into a low-arched, musty-smelling, deserted underground passageway, very different from the one I'd used in the morning. The only exits from it appeared to be by other lifts - including the 'way out' lift - although there were various firmly-locked, even chained and padlocked, doors along the considerable length of this passageway. Spooky!

Finding my way through the back streets and the ginnels and cut-throughs to access the canal towpath was much easier having already done it in the other direction and home again after another 3.5 miles or so from the station.

So a grand total of about 14.3 miles today - although, granted, broken into three pieces. And a simply lovely day out. Northern Rail made taking the bike both trouble-free and cost-free. Can't do much better than that!

Next week I hope to do more of the coastal route - and I'll check the wind first!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just usual commute home , left work just after midnight and plodded home . the first 4 miles is against the traffic flow along the cycle path and you wouldn't believe the amount of lorries at that time of day its like a permanent headwind :sad:
Got to a set of lights and being a dutiful (?) rider i stopped but the filter for my turn didnt recognize i was there and after 2 full cycles on them i said "f%%k it " and went through on the next green on the other side even though my light was still red .
Got home about 12.45 am and mini ck one was still up and decided to give me his sole attention aka nattering on constantly , much as i love my kid im hot, tired, hungry and thirsty just shut up please !
On a final note i have had a squeak every time i shifted to an easier gear and couldnt work out what it was, turns out it was the cable on the guide under the BB , a quick spray of gt 85 fixed it :smile:

Old jon

Guru
Definitely a morning to take Jacko out for a pedal. Blue skies, promise of warmth, a gentle breeze and a route in mind as well! That did change though.

Even before I had crossed the Aire, at Crown Point, I remembered that Almscliff Crag had been visited nine or ten days ago. Think of somewhere else, while riding to Slaid Hill. Once there, turn left to pass the pub car park, at least two groups of riders there. Carry on, Alwoodley Gates to King Lane, passing Golden Acre Park on the way to King’s Road.

Which descends nicely to Bramhope. Head for Otley, but turn left to reach Old Lane, then through Old Bramhope and across the A658. Reaching Otley Old Road turn left and almost immediately right. There is a bit more climbing to do yet, but once past the Royalty, a pub that cannot have locals, anyway, once past there the road drops. Quickly too. There is a temptation to just let it go, but the road surface needs to be better. And anyway, its a mostly straight boring road. But the views are good.

In Menston, turn right. This is a busy road, and the way off it is a second exit turn at the next, orrible, roundabout. This aims at the roundabout at the bottom of Leeds Road in Otley, but force of long held habit makes me turn left long before there to reach the way into the town passing the mill, used to be the A660. So, through the middle of town on market day, slowly, to go to the bottom of Leeds Road. Habit can be odd.

The last significant up of the ride, to the top of Leeds Road. It is a two mile slog, but there is that sense of achievement. And I take the easy way back to Leeds, same road all the way to Headingley. Which was busy, I had forgotten the cricket match. Down the hill to Kirkstall, thought to avoid the almost certainly busy towpath and ride through Leeds’ town centre. Busy.

Leave by way of Neville Street, busy again, bus passengers to Leeds Festival at Bramham. Turn left onto Great Wilson Street, Hunslet was calm and quiet. And so was the rest of the way home. A grin to reach that, thirty six miles after leaving. Nineteen hundred feet of going up in with all that. Really enjoyed it all.

Versatile device, don't even have to tell it what to do,

28082021.jpg

2808elev.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ist ride since 29th July, due to work, new grand-daughetr and the rest of my family getting Covid [all OK now, thanks to being vaccinated- 2 week old G-D also got it from my son but just had a snuffly nose thankfully].

Anyway, today we went out on the tandem for 24 sunny miles up to Matfen Village Cafe... lovely to be out again!

AndreaJ

Veteran
Blue sky and sunshine this morning and I decided that I would go on my bike while my daughter got herself organised (slowly) to help me take some rubbish to the tip.
Started out to Loppington, Brown Heath and across to Colemere, followed the lane around Colemere ,which seemed to be surprisingly quiet for a nice day, into Lyneal , past the caravan park to Hampton Bank. Turned off by the canal to Bettisfield, back to Northwood then to Whixall. Took the towpath towards the Moss car park and back onto the lanes. Turned towards home through the other side of Northwood. Managed to cross the canal 7 times in total. Lovely morning to be out and very few people about. 21 miles and was still ready before my daughter!
F38B0360-AB0C-400C-8230-F6AEEB4B45B1.jpeg

DB3A72CE-02FF-4DAA-89CF-AC2900E220F2.jpeg

D20B9B7C-8BBF-45F5-94A6-688030F4C0A6.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday midday, sun out, sun tan lotion on, and the start of the 7th letter ABC hunt; the idea had been to start it on a different version of the Hessay ride done last Sunday continuing to Wheldrake and Wetherby but last weekends weather saw that off. Consequentially a change of plan with instead a variation and shortening of the ride to Coxwold and beyond done in late June.

Ran into standing traffic in Killinghall on the B6161 which continued most of the way to Ripley on the A61; overtook when safe to do so. A food festival at Ripley was the cause.

More queuing traffic at Ripon quickly overtaken for a McDonalds drive through. Pass the racecourse on the B6265 I caught up with a cyclist plainly with a saddle too low; passing traffic precluded an overtake and beyond the nominally single carriageway bridge over the River Ure hoards of cyclists headed the other way then abuse was hurled by some yob in an overtaking car and expletives returned.

Via Copt Hewick to Rainton and a pause for a snack. Beyond Topcliffe I differed the route by heading towards Dalton Industrial Estate and just before entering it turned onto a single track lane to Eldmire where harvesting had been undertaken

Turning east at an unsigned junction brought to me to no through route I had tried in July and north along that brought to an end the diversion. Beyond Hutton Sessay an old sports car but DVLA and Goggle this time are silent.

Straight over a deserted A19; in the lumpy terrain beyond tandem riders crested the climb in the opposite direction as l flew downwards to tackle the climb beyond; the steepest part, 18.5%, is near the foot so some momentum simplifies that. Now for the main trim of the previous ride by continuing straight through Carlton Husthwaite and another narrow lane, just managed to get pass a tractor and trailer. The road then went upwards to join the return part of the previous route just outside of Husthwaite, where the church is the St Nicholas.

Back to the A19, now with a bit of traffic on it, for a staggered crossing of it. Part of the Rasklef-Bafferton road had had ‘surface dressing’ undertaken on it – the previous nice smooth surface was now rough. Thence via Thornton Bridge to the riverside park at Langthorpe. There was a set of TTLs in Boroughbridge. Through Staveley on more surface dressing albeit reasonably smooth to reach Knaresborough

Along the cycle track on the A59 hill and the Starbeck branch of NCN67
53.72 miles 1975ft climbed 14.9mph avg

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
It's been a long time since I've posted on this thread, but I felt motivated today because I took a wrong turn on my ride this morning. I ended up going down a No Through Road that I have actually been intending to explore for years, but kept forgetting about. The road takes you along a ridge overlooking the southern bank of The Orwell and one of the pics I took has a line of trees in the distance that I (and @Jenkins) have included many a time here.
Suffolk in Summer.
photo 4 (1).JPG

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Spesh Roubaix for a change for a ride with Suzanne and David from our village. Suzanne’s first ride since she had Covid so a much slower pace than she normally rides.
26.7 miles with an average of 16.4 mph with a stop for coffee at Naburn Marina.

13 rider

Guru
Over the last few years through me organising some forum rides a little gang of Ccers formed and we regularly used to ride together taking it turns to plot routes . Today the 4 of us rode together sounds nothing unusual except we think the last time the 4 of us rode to together was Sept 2019 when we rode back from the world champs in Harrogate , combinations of 2 or 3 have rode together but not the 4 of us due to a multitude of reasons . Out the door a few extra miles at 8.15 to get to Quorn 8 miles away by 09.30 .Anstey ,Groby coming back to Anstey a rider appeared out of a farm gateway after a nature break and it's no other than @Supersuperleeds who had been out even earlier for more miles . So we rode to Quorn together chatting away got to the meeting point and soon @tallliman rolled in me and @Supersuperleeds didn't mention the football much as @tallliman is a Arsenal fan .Soon @Noodle Legs joined us and after a quick chat regarding the route it was basically follow me .Destination Nice Pie cafe . Quorn , Mountsorrel ,Sileby and the climbing starts ,Seagrave rd first then Berrycott lane in Seagrave were dispatched and the cafe was reached . A relaxed stop chatting away where a combinations of cakes ,Sausage sandwich and my staple beans on toast were consumed . The return route was decided and it was back down the Wreake valley . The return leg started relaxed but as we come out of the village of Thrussington I spotted a large club group ahead I told @Supersuperleeds not to chase them ,then I proceed to chase and overtake them all :laugh: soon @Supersuperleeds fly's past me and soon the 4 of us are dropping the club I presume it was the social group . I few silly races up climbs and down descents followed before we got to Cossington were we split into groups of 2 agreeing not to leave it so long again . @tallliman and @Noodle Legs headed for Loughborough and me and @Supersuperleeds rode back to Rothley together before parting ways . I headed home via Swithland to get past 50 miles finishing on 51.3 ,@noodlelegs bagged 54 miles and @tallliman racked up 41 and @Supersuperleeds out did us all with 80 miles it was just like the old days .A great ride made by the company

geocycle

Legendary Member
Swapped geology from the limestone of the Dales to the gritstone of Bowland today. Rode out into a light easterly with some sunshine through the cloud. Over the Trough through Dunsop Bridge which seemed busy to Newton. Took the road south and up over Newton fell. It always catches me out how steep it is and it just touches 300m above sea level. Then down for lunch in Chipping with about 30 other cyclists mainly from Blackpool CC. Steady ride home completing 50 miles and 1310 m of climbing.

Pictures east of the trough and North of Chipping.

Over the last few years through me organising some forum rides a little gang of Ccers formed and we regularly used to ride together taking it turns to plot routes . Today the 4 of us rode together sounds nothing unusual except we think the last time the 4 of us rode to together was Sept 2019 when we rode back from the world champs in Harrogate , combinations of 2 or 3 have rode together but not the 4 of us due to a multitude of reasons . Out the door a few extra miles at 8.15 to get to Quorn 8 miles away by 09.30 .Anstey ,Groby coming back to Anstey a rider appeared out of a farm gateway after a nature break and it's no other than @Supersuperleeds who had been out even earlier for more miles . So we rode to Quorn together chatting away got to the meeting point and soon @tallliman rolled in me and @Supersuperleeds didn't mention the football much as @tallliman is a Arsenal fan .Soon @Noodle Legs joined us and after a quick chat regarding the route it was basically follow me .Destination Nice Pie cafe . Quorn , Mountsorrel ,Sileby and the climbing starts ,Seagrave rd first then Berrycott lane in Seagrave were dispatched and the cafe was reached . A relaxed stop chatting away where a combinations of cakes ,Sausage sandwich and my staple beans on toast were consumed . The return route was decided and it was back down the Wreake valley . The return leg started relaxed but as we come out of the village of Thrussington I spotted a large club group ahead I told @Supersuperleeds not to chase them ,then I proceed to chase and overtake them all :laugh: soon @Supersuperleeds fly's past me and soon the 4 of us are dropping the club I presume it was the social group . I few silly races up climbs and down descents followed before we got to Cossington were we split into groups of 2 agreeing not to leave it so long again . @tallliman and @Noodle Legs headed for Loughborough and me and @Supersuperleeds rode back to Rothley together before parting ways . I headed home via Swithland to get past 50 miles finishing on 51.3 ,@noodlelegs bagged 54 miles and @tallliman racked up 41 and @Supersuperleeds out did us all with 80 miles it was just like the old days .A great ride made by the company
Yeah it was nice to get the clan back together for a spin, it’s been way too long! Have definitely missed it for sure!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I was hoping to get in an outing with my brother today as he has a rare day off, unfortunately though the unsociable hours at his work had caught up with him and he'd gone back to sleep, so I headed out on my own instead. I thought I'd give the Galaxy a run and headed off to do one of my longer regular routes: Upton Magna, Walcot, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor and back.

I was expecting a lot of traffic on the main road at the start but it wasn't too bad and my arrival at the junction coincided with someone using the pedestrian crossing just along the road giving me a good gap to get out into. I had a good run to Condover then turned back into the wind along Lyon's Lane. I'd expected this to slow me down a fair bit but on this bike the headwind didn't seem too much of an issue.

I headed to Berrington, Cross Houses and Atcham without having to mix with too much traffic. There were a few cyclists at the cafe in Upton Magna but not many out on the road which I found surprising given that the weather was sunny and pleasantly warm. When I did meet a couple of cyclists on the way to Withington it was when a small van was overtaking them and apparently didn't care about me coming the other way.:dry: Withington was holding its summer fete and scarecrow festival so there were plenty of people walking into the village from the parking field to be careful of.

It was quieter after that and I was about to turn southwards so picked up the tailwind and got fairly swept along to Walcot and along Bluebell Lane. I enjoyed the novelty of having help up the hills before and after Uppington (the prevailing wind means it's normally a headwind here), then it was a swift descent through Eaton Constantine and down to Cressage.

I had a good climb out of Cressage up Shore Lane (no tailwind as it's sheltered - it was just that the legs felt good^_^) and got along fairly well to Cound Moor on roads only shared with a couple of cars in about three miles. The climb I usually dislike on the way to Acton Burnell felt easy today. Arriving in the village I thought I'd take a detour to the castle for a change.

Heading on through Frodesley as usual, I was still enjoying the tailwind. Some sort of vintage tractor gathering seemed to be going on in one of the fields close to Longnor and I suspect it's some of the owners who would usually have been at the steam rally this weekend.

Heading through Longnor and turning back into the wind, it didn't seem to slow progress very much at all. I caught and overtook a rider who'd passed me while I was stopped for a drink but then barely saw a soul until back to Condover where there were a couple of riders rigged for touring (they were turning off before I reached them).

I risked the short way back along the main road and found it still much quieter than expected for the bank holiday weekend. I'm not complaining.:okay:

35.4 miles at 15.4 mph average. Maybe not the ride I'd had in mind but I did enjoy it.

A pause at Walcot bridge. I was trying out another new bag for this one - a Carradura rack bag. (I've had a birthday recently, could you tell? :laugh:)

View to the Wrekin from Uppington.

A couple of shots from Acton Burnell Castle.

The tractor meet near Longnor. I could only get a couple of machines in shot from where I took the photo.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday midday, cloudy but dry and a north easterly so a long sleeve jersey donned. A week on east through Ferrensby again, this time via Knaresborough rather than Ripley. Then to Great Ouseburn for the first snack / sportcam battery change. Over Aldwark Bridge and for first time non stop over the East Coast mainline on the single carriageway width bridge in Tollerton. Thereafter a slight pause to get across the staggered crossing of the A19; a cycling club were trying to do the opposing crossing. At Huby it dawned on me the Komoot sourced route on the Wahoo was intent on sending me down an unmade track; OS maps on the phone checked and carried on east to Sutton on the Forest for pretty quick run south on the B1363 with a cross tail wind to Wiggington, picking up the planned route and pausing for another snack etc. Then through Haxby and a half semi circular route via Towthorpe to the 7th letter ABC of Earswick.

Headed south opting to use the cycle route around the junction with the A1237; would have been simpler to stay on the carriageway especially as the Defy promptly partly threw its chain off in disgust. Subsequently corrected a missed turning to reach the A1036 (the old A64 before the York bypass was built). Followed a quite good cycle lane alongside on the wide pavement; the road itself having an inner bus lane in this direction, then south east through Tang Hall and across the A1037 onto a road blocked off to through vehicle traffic. Turned south west so partly looping around York University to reach Fulford.

A local cycle path then brought me to the crossing of the River Ouse on Millennium Bridge, which forms part of both NCN66 as well as the York Orbital cycle route.

I followed the latter along various residential streets as far its junction 3 and then headed north west crossing the East Coast mainline again to reach Holgate where the Methodist Church sign substituted in the absence of any other.

A brief off route deviation to a suburban street with a very unusual feature; a windmill! Built in 1770 it was in use until c.1933. It has been renovated this century and flour is ground.

West on the B1224 for a further snack break at Rufforth; then to Long Marston and as per last Sunday through Tockwith, Coneythorpe and Little Ribston but then via the Nidd Gorge and yesterdays route from Knaresborough.
66.5 miles 107km 1864ft climbed 14.1mph avg

Last edited:

cwskas

Über Member

Yesterday I had the pleasure of riding with my oldest son in the HOTTER’N HELL HUNDRED in Wichita Falls, TX.

From their website:

“Hotter’N Hell Hundred grew out of efforts to find a special way for Wichita Falls to celebrate its 1982 centennial. The Wichita Falls Bicycle Club proposed a bicycle ride – 100 miles in 100 degree heat to celebrate 100 years, coining the name: Hotter’N Hell Hundred. The rest is Hotter’N Hell History.”​

Last year was the 40th anniversary of the ride but it was postponed due to COVID and all were encouraged to ride a virtual ride of their choosing. This year it was in person and I signed up to do the 100 mile ride. My son agreed to also sign up but just do 100 km. We would get to ride together for the first 30 miles or so.

The ride started at 7:00 am with the 100 mile ‘Speedsters’ group, then several other groups and we started in the ‘Hopefuls’ group, riders who hoped to finish in 8 hours.

4 blocks of riders in front of us, waiting to start. I have no idea how many behind us.

About to roll across the start line

There are rest stops provided approximately every 10 miles with 2 extra rest stops near the end allowing for 4 rest stops in the last 20 miles. They also have a checkpoint at about mile 60 which is called Hell’s Gate. If you don’t arrive at that checkpoint by 12:30 pm you are not allowed to continue and are diverted to a shorter route which results in 75 miles.

It was a fairly cool morning for August in Texas and we decided we could skip the first rest stop and use all the others. Things were going so well that my son decided he would stick with me on the 100 mile course and just take the shorter Hell’s Gate route for 75 miles. We also decided to keep a faster pace and make short stops to insure we arrive at Hell’s Gate before the deadline.

We skipped rest stops 2, 4 & 6 and used all of the others. In retrospect we should have stopped at 6 but It was not far before Hell’s Gate and we (incorrectly) thought there might be a chance to fill the bottles there.

We reached Hell's Gate at 11:30 am with a moving average of almost 17 mph for the first 60 miles, both had plenty of water. We stopped for a picture and headed on.

The next 20 miles were much harder on us, temperatures were in the high 90s and you could feel the heat coming off the road. We had a 10-12 mph headwind for most of this time and there were a number of long fairly small grades. My trike goes much slower uphill than down for some reason. And climbing really makes my legs hurt. ^_^

We came to the conclusion we might should have paced ourselves a little slower. At 85 miles were were averaging 15 and were really feeling the heat. Rest stops got longer and we used all of them plus a stop in the shade for a short break about 90 miles.

After leaving the last rest stop with 7 miles to the finish line and taking advantage of a fairly long downhill we were elated and doing near 30 mph smelling the finish line. As the road leveled out again Joel noticed his front tire was losing air … with only 3 miles to the finish!

Fortunately he had a spare tube and we were rolling again in less than 10 minutes . . . into suburbia . . . over some bridges . . . into downtown and across the finish line. They had a fire hydrant and hose which was spraying a huge wall of water you could ride through about 20 yards past the finish line. We went through twice, but I didn’t think to get a picture of it. We were quick to get loaded and head for a nice meal, then off to bed early.

Looking back at the finish line

Trip time: 8h53m 11.3 mph
Cycling: 6h58m 14.4 mph

It took us 4.5 hours to do the first 60 miles and almost 5 hours to do the last 40!

Willie

Last edited:
Top Bottom