Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My last ride of the year on local dirty lanes!
There was still some standing water from Christmas Day , deep enough for wet feet.

A dozen miles, a few primrose in flower and a roe deer.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6451614846

delb0y

Legendary Member
My last ride of the year, too. Just 20 miles round the local lanes and tow-path. I regretted not putting the off-road tyres on...

Tow Path Mud.jpg

Yesterday I took advantage of the unseasonably mild temperatures and headed to the Campsies (they're usually solid ice and/or snow at this time of year).

A lot of rain had fallen over night but it was dry and the skies started to brighten as I approached the hills. Then I stopped and took a few pics and it looked rather dreich up top but brighter if I had went south. For a bit I thought about, especially when I stopped a second time and it looked even more of a contrast.

Ah feic, I'd come all this way, convinced myself it was patchy and then went for it. I was right it was patchy and only really dreich at the top of the Crow.

I then headed back over the Campsies via the Tak Ma Doon Road. I didn't stop there because I wasn't sure of my distance/time (the dreich weather up the Crow had sent the Garmin haywire. After a dozen stops I had locked it on the map and lol, the Varia low battery warning blocked the clock). When I got back to Stirling I figured it had dried enough to get a data screen. I then realised I would have had time to stop after all. On good day its something like this (although Google doesn't do it justice).

Lol, I am at the limit of my attachments, the photos of Stirling are embedded in the Relive.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vMv8ykLXmPO

C R

Guru
I needed 20 miles to get over 2800 miles for the year, and with nice weather this afternoon it would have been a shame not to take advantage. It was quite warm, so shorts and fingerless gloves. I didn't dare short sleeves, but should have, as I was feeling a bit overdressed.

23 miles going round Earls Croome, Pershore and Wadborough, a few cyclists and not much traffic, but a bit of a headwind on the way out, which became a nice tail wind between Earls Croome and Pershore. No photos, just the map.
Screenshot_20211231-155127_Connect~2.jpg

Total for the year is 2805 miles, about 50 miles more than last year. Let's see what 2022 brings.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Managed to get out on a fab variable ride today. Plenty of mud, some bumpy bridleways, a nice hill climb and some fast road sections. I was supposed to be stopping in a local town to pick some bits up so had the Carradice SQR Slim on and a heavy lock, but I had forgotten my wallet.

Plan for the new year is to find a small group of people who like a mixture of ride styles and are not training to be the next Bradley Wiggins.

Alex321

Veteran
Really enjoyable final ride of the year. Started outintending to do one of my regularloops via Ewenny, which are either 18 or 21 miles, but after Sigginstone (part of the 21 mile variant) I was enjoying it so much I decided to try some roads I hadn't ridden before, extending the ride a bit.

Ended up doing 32.24 miles,to finish the year with a metric half century.
https://www.strava.com/activities/6452330717
1640971983522.png

gavgav

Guru
A day off for me on New Years Eve and I’d arranged a ride out with Paul. He’d wanted to do a longer ride for a while, but we’d struggled to find a day we were both free together, so today it was. He’d given me the challenge of a route via Shawbury and so I duly delivered, with some new territory to explore as well.

I rode over to his, with it being extraordinarily mild and soon wished I’d worn shorts. Removed jacket though and it was down to a t-shirt, quite remarkable for December.

We meandered our way out of Shrewsbury, to Montford Bridge and then on to Mytton, with my first bit of new territory, before joining the slightly busier roads to Leaton, complete with a set of traffic lights stuck on red, which we waited at until chap coming through in a car said he’d worked out they were stuck, so through we went.

It was then back onto new territory to Bomere Heath, through a couple of residential streets and onto the Preston Gubbals road, before branching off to Pimhill and along Plex Road to Hadnall. We’d briefly discussed stopping at the Salopian Brewery there, but the bar was shut. We had a long wait to cross the A49, before continuing on to Astley, an easier crossing of the A53, then Bings Heath and onto Shawbury.

We joined the A53 for a short while, before more new territory along the Telford road to Great Wytheford. I knew we needed a right turn, so we turned first right and then shortly arrived back at the main road……I’d turned us off 1 junction too early! Not to worry, it was a short section to the junction we actually wanted and then splashed our way through a fairly deep flood and onto Poynton Green. It was back to familiar lanes from there, to Roden and Rodington Heath, where I said to Paul that we’d try the lane to Upton Magna, but warned him of a potential flood that is often there after heavy rain…….Sure enough, we rounded the bend and it was deeply flooded as far as the eye could see, so we did an about turn and used the lane to Withington instead.

The lane from there to Upton Magna was busier than we’d have liked, then arriving in the village we’d thought of stopping at the cafe, but found it shut. So, we decided to head to Uffington and stop at the Corbet Arms pub for a pint instead. It was so mild that we sat outside on the terrace, must be a first for New Years Eve and enjoyed a nice Shropshire Gold.

From there we joined the old canal path to Pimley and then decided to stay on the rougher section to the ring road. That was a mistake, with it being covered in thick mud and water, so the bikes were made even filthier and Paul, mud guard less, had a nice muddy stripe all up his back! Won’t be using that track again until next Summer.

We took the cycle paths back to Meole and parted ways having thoroughly enjoyed the longer ride and a good chat when the roads allowed.

38.2 miles to finish the year with 2137 miles, which is my highest annual total so far, beating last year by 125. 95 rides this year, 4 fewer than last.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Been off the bike for about three weeks due to a cold and old fart water infection so a final 2021 ride was on the cards.
Cycled from Astley to Timperley via the Bridgewater Way and Trans Pennine which was both busy with other users and lots of mud,
my poor fixie was covered in the stuff 😩
Visited my Mum who I had not seen in ages, had a brew and “ helped” her to dispose of some Christmas treats before heading home across Carrington moss past some football training ground just as they were coming out much to the joy of fans. Crossed the Manchester Ship Canal at Irlam locks and crossed a very rough Astley Moss home.
Cracking and much needed ride plus visit to my Mum
Happy New Year everyone

Mike_P

Guru
New Years Eve and far too long spent sorting the “cockpit” of the Defy out this morning. I had fitted the replacement bell a week or so back before removing the broken one but then the thought occurred of was their space for a light. After much shuffling the bell ended up where the broken one had been.

Midday and almost 12 degrees with a noticeable wind; thinnest bib longs and a waterproof jersey just in case. East to Knaresborough where Waterside was not as busy as it might be but Abbey Road was awash with walkers and dogs. Then the B6164 through Little Ribston and east along Ox Close Lane which convinced me definitely the new Garmin 530 was not navigating as I was now off the planned route but no reaction from it.

Joined the A168 south only for a visitation, to the rear wheel, by the P fairy for the first time in 15 months:evil:

Half an hour later the ride recommenced with a replacement inner tube fitted having twice checked the tyre for anything stuck in it.
Onto the B1224 over the A1 and pass Wetherby Services to reach Wetherby Racecourse on York Road. (The ABC roadname beginning X skipped due to lack of such locally)

Into Wetherby on the former B1224 and on the climb over the A1 the rear wheel felt horribly rough again. Stopped and checked it; was okay, just not pumped enough. Continued on in the hope All Terrian Cycles might be open with the thought of blagging the use of a track pump but plainly closed. Bike propped against the York Road sign above and more use of the hand pump.

Back pass All Terrian and the B6164 through Kirk Deighton to North Deighton, then west to Spofforth where, as a slight fudge, Zennia Terrace lies next to a Millenium Garden to complete the ABC roadnames with something of note on them (or in the case of Z next to) .

Up Haggs Road to the A658 then Rudding Lane with a clear run though the TLs at the foot of the decent and up the climb away to reach a slow moving A661. Left the congestion behind going through Panhandle Park only to get stuck trying to turn right back onto a road – of course as soon as I decided to push the crossing button a gap appeared.

Cut through to Forest Lane noting a train passing and sure enough a long, starting to move, tail back of traffic from the level crossing. Up to the A59 crossing then home via the Starbeck NCN branch cautiously pass two horses when indicated by their riders.

30.61 miles with 1529 feet climbed bringing the Defys total for the year to 2,529.64 miles and 124,486ft climbed. Happy New Year, Mike.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
1st ride of a new year . Decided to do my standard 50km loop out to Wymeswold to start the 50km a month challenge . Out the door at 10.30 in lovely sunny bright day ,Shorts with leg warmers and short sleeves with arm warmers and fingerless mitts is it really January. Fairly mundane ride through Cossington ,Sileby and Seagrave on the climb out of Seagrave Berrycott lane I was slowly catching a fellow rider . Caught him just after we had turn right . As I overtook I said hello and he replied "Phil " ( my name if you wondered ) turned my head and it's an old mate I've not seen for 3 years . Clive and I had done a lot of fishing together but although we both cycled we had never rode together .The next 12 miles were spent chatting away catching up and the miles this ticked by so much quicker . In Barrow we parted company promising to do it again . That left me to finish the last 8 miles solo mostly into a headwind . Home 31.4 miles in a tad under 2 hours which is a time I've not been meeting recently so somehow I was much quicker today as I actually slowed down to ride at Clive's pace . Really enjoyed the surprise company . Let's hope all rides in 2022 are as good as this one

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Happy New Year! Amazing weather for January with temperatures in double figures. Got out to Clapham and Ingleton for the first 50 miles of the year. Headed through Wray then decided to do a detour up Roeburndale west on some roads less travelled. intersected with Mewith lane and Keasden before lunch in Clapham. There is a nice spot for a picnic by the waterfall in the village. Decided to be self sufficient today as thought cafes would be closed. Fortunately my waterfall view was free as seeing the queue of folk paying to do the waterfalls walk grated with my Yorkshire upbringing. Then over the old road to Ingleton before a circuitous route home. First 50 miles and 1200m of climbing.

Pictures show Ingleborough in mist this morning, bike posing by wall, the wonderful descent to Clapham and the lunchtime waterfall.

Mike_P

Guru
Yuk was the best description for the Defy this morning after yesterdays ride although now dried muck did largely brush off. Fitted it with my Heath Robinson mudguards which took until mid afternoon so just time for a short 10 mile ride west on the A59 to Kettlesing Head and back via Penny Pot.

Temperature was nearing 14 degrees but their was a gusting south westerly of some strength at times so the kit was full length jersey and bib knickers.

After a couple of stops needed to tweak the mudguards the upwards trudge on the relatively quite A59 ( no HGVs) was at least for its longer steeper part buffeted from the wind by trees. Was bemused by the Garmin informing me I needed a drink every 6 minutes - thats one "smart" settings that is going to be deleted. At least the cadence was showing; strange coincidence that yesterdays first time use of the Garmin coincided with the battery in the sensor going flat.

Turned straight into the wind at Kettlesing Head and then had varying degrees of cross tail wind on Penny Pot Lane; the mudguards rattled like mad as the speed shot upwards. Then NNE on the B6161 Oaker Bank, down the middle bank and up the northern one in new PRs, back to the A59.

10.88 miles 689ft climbed @ 13.3mph avg. New mudguards ordered.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Set out intending doing a 30+ mile ride. Out through Welsh St Donat's then over to cross the A48 at Bonvilston. Just before Bonvilston, caught a loose stone in the road with quite a bump, front wheel only.

Then after crossing A48, notice a white spot going round - obviously punctured, and sealant coming out. Carried on for a bit, hoping it was going to self seal, then nearly lost it on a bend before Llancarfan as tyre was now too soft for proper control. Stopped and pumped it up, still hoping it was going to self seal, but a couple of miles later was obviously going soft again :sad:

So tried to plug it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but that just made it worse. OK, time for a tube.

By this time, after all the faffing around, decided it wasn't worth carrying on round the coast road for the 30 miler, and just turned for home at St Athan.
Finished up doing 18.1 miles, with 1355 ft of climbing, at an average speed of 16.6mph. Oh, and warm enough for shorts and thin gloves!
https://www.strava.com/activities/6456568789

Top Bottom