Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
thats a lovely looking bike.

Thank you. There is the tale, almost inevitably. When I went to bespeak the frame I was asked what colour I wanted it. There were sample frames hung on the wall, I pointed at one and was told that was £50 extra. The one next to it was standard price, so I chose that one. The manager then said, " You would not care if it was in primer, would you? " I had to admit he was right, but did say that the bike was for riding, not decoration.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

With it being a new month I wanted to get my Imperial Century Challenge ride in as early as possible. Tuesday was too windy for my liking but Wednesday looked pretty good for February so I set an early alarm and got on the road before seven.

The route was going to be mostly the same as my last challenge ride. I headed over Lyth Hill to start with (having a bit of a moment along the way when a car swung into the road that I was coming out of completely on my side of the road) then dropped down to Condover via a short section of the A49 which I thought was really busy for the time of the morning. This time I was able to get past the road closure in Condover to head for Ryton, Gonsal (another crossing of the A49) and Stapleton.

I'd turned into the wind which was quite brisk through Exford's Green. Joining the road to Plealey this was another one that seemed unusually busy, until I remembered that the A488 is closed at Hanwood so lots of people were coming round this way instead. Reaching Pontesbury the A488 was quiet to start with but then streams of traffic seemed to come along. I was most unimpressed when a van overtook me then the driver immediately stood on the brakes because he wanted to turn into a driveway on the right.:ohmy: I don't know whether it was deliberate or he honestly misjudged where he'd got to - either way it was unpleasant to be brake-tested like that.:headshake:

Things were better on the way to Minsterley, then I turned onto Horsebridge Road which turned out to have a lot of standing water along it - odd considering it's a good couple of days since the last rain. Perhaps there have been some very localised downpours?

After Westbury I headed for Halfway House along the potholed road which is scheduled to be resurfaced soon. ^_^ I hope that'll be a decent job. Prince's Oak was next, then through Coedwy and Crew Green to Melverley where I had my first snack stop.

Starting off again I mostly had a crosswind and fairly flat roads towards Maesbrook, Lwyntidmon Hall, Morton, Ball and into Oswestry. I took a different way into the town centre this time and I don't know why I haven't been this way before as it's a lot more pleasant, consisting of a quiet country lane that brings me into town past some posh houses and the Marches School. Much better than the busy road through the trading estate I usually use.

As usual, after going through the centre I left Oswestry past the ancient hill fort and headed for Gobowen then along the signed NCN route to Ellesmere. This was pretty muddy in places as is often the case in winter, although I have seen it a lot worse. Another stop for a bite to eat was taken near Old Marton. After Crickett I came up behind a group of about 30 walkers who seemed to appreciate a ding of the bell or two.

Reaching Ellesmere I decided to have a change from last time so headed down to The Mere for a brief look then headed past the canal marina and out to Lee before turning for Whitemere (passing the 50 mile mark just as I reached the lakeside) and Colemere. I'd had the wind behind me since Gobowen but really started to appreciate it from Lyneal as it helped me towards Northwood, Dobson's Bridge, Coton and Prees. A rest stop and a drink before climbing the hill in Prees helped as the legs hadn't been feeling right for a bit - giving warning twinges on some hills but not actually getting to the stage of cramp.

The metric century was passed on the way to Ightfield and when I reached the village I used the bus shelter again for my lunch stop. It may not have been as windy as last time I was here but it was still nice to be sheltered. I got along pretty well to Calverhall and Longslow with the wind assisting me then had to work against it a bit on the way to Longford. Just after passing under the A53 I heard someone say "Phil" - looking around I didn't see anyone I recognized so think it wasn't intended for me. If it was; Sorry I didn't stop.:blush:

I knew I had enough distance in hand not to need to go round Market Drayton town centre so I took the more direct route through the outskirts. I think this is the first time I've ridden it in this direction since the roads have been resurfaced and what a difference that has made. Shame the same can't be said of Sutton Lane.

I had a headwind past Old Colehurst which slowed things down but not to the same extent as last time, then passing Tern Hill airfield the windsock was showing me that I had a crosswind but it felt very much like a headwind. There was another rider ahead of me but I didn't have the energy to chase after them.

After Stoke on Tern I got along easier and made reasonably good progress to Ollerton and Eaton upon Tern. I had to turn towards the wind again to Little Bolas and my crossing of the A442, which sapped my energy a fair bit so a stop for flapjack and a drink was needed before getting to Cold Hatton. While stopped a car came by much too quick for such a narrow lane - I was fairly glad not to have met them while riding.

After Cold Hatton I was following a tractor and trailer which gave me a bit of shelter for a while, until the road straightened then they could go faster than me. It had got colder as the afternoon went on so I needed the spare fleece I'd brought (it may be mild for February but it ain't Spring). At High Ercall I had to join the main road for a short section - it was busy and I got hooted at for the first time in ages, just for being there.:rolleyes:

I'd not seen many other cyclists out during this ride so seeing three in just half a mile at Rodington Heath seemed notable.:laugh: I went my usual way to Withington and paused between there and Upton Magna to finish off what was left of the flapjack before continuing to Atcham and Cross Houses. I ran out of energy again on the gentle climb to Berrington so broke open the jelly babies which did help for the last few miles along Lyons Lane to Condover (the temporary lights changed to green just as I approached) then along the flatter main road route to get back while it was still light.

104.1 miles at 12 mph moving average (approx 10 hours and 10 minutes in total with all the stops). February looks like being a busy month for me so I'm really glad to get this one bagged.:okay:

From Lyth Hill; the first light of dawn is breaking.

By Stapleton the sun is coming up quick.

The view towards Coedwy and the Welsh hills.

I can't help wondering what this farm building between Oswestry and Gobowen needed such a big chimney for.

At The Mere, Ellesmere. Uh oh, the ducks have spotted me.

As the sign says: Love Lane, Ellesmere.

Colemere.

Crossing the Prees branch of the canal at Dobson's Bridge.

It's Ightfield's day for the mobile library.

Eaton upon Tern.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I got out after finishing working and headed over to Dad’s. Immediate thoughts upon setting out were that it was milder than expected and I’d probably over dressed a little. Ah well, better to be warm than cold, at this time of year.

I decided to go through Bayston Hill and up Lyth Hill, with the lack of recent rain meaning the track is still passable. Just after turning onto Lythwood Road I was hooted at just for being on the road, by a t**t in a Black Insignia, who then proceeded to lean on the horn at a car reversing into their drive and then at one stopped waiting to pass a parked car, when a car was coming the other way. What an absolute pillock and clearly a sandwich short of a picnic.

After leaving the tarmac section of Lyth Hill, I joined the track and slowly caught a lady riding ahead of me. It’s difficult to go particularly fast up there, but where the track splits, she took the high road and I took the low road and I just came out in front of her where it joins up.

I descended down to Exfords Green, where the hedge has been cut on the narrow section, so dodged some debris and then onto Dad’s for a chat. The wind had been a bit blustery at times on the way, but had strengthened considerably in the Half hour stop, thankfully however it would be behind me for most of the return journey.

I had quite a wait to cross the A49 and then at Gonsal crossroads I found road closed ahead signs, so decided to not risk it and go through Ryton, to Berriewood and then the nice descent to Condover.

I had Lyons Lane to myself, with not a car seen and that’s a rarity, before a very quiet road to Betton Abbots as well and home with 16.26 miles on the clock at 11.4mph avg.

Today marks the start of my first of eight successive long weekends and as such I ventured out on a fresh but sunny ride out to RaceHub cafe just north of Leicester, and coming back via Bradgate Park and Polly Bott’s Lane nearby which is a local legend of a climb in these parts!
It nearly didn’t happen though as I awoke at 7am only to find the wind howling and the rain belting on the window and thus the prospect of riding outdoors at that point was about as appetising as eating a sh*t sandwich, but just as I was resigning myself to yet another Zwift session the weather turned brighter and drier as the morning wore on and so to prevent procrastination setting in I made the decision to go for it.
Seeking a little inspiration from komoot I saw a nice looped route that met my requirements and set off around 10am. True to form with most of my route planning the fairly strong wind was with me there and against coming back, as were the hills! No unfamiliar roads today, but still pleasurable to ride on.
29 miles in was the cafe stop where I devoured a lovely bacon butty and millionaire shortbread with mini eggs on, washed down with a coffee as I overlooked the open water lake in which some triathletes were doing some training…. Rather them than me!!
Headed back via Barrow upon Soar, climbing out of Mountsorrel and cutting through Bradgate Park before the long uphill slog out of Newtown Linford and up towards Charnwood’s local legend- Polly Bott’s Lane. I was in no mood today to do KOMs or PRs and the wind was not favourable so it was a case of sit n’ spin for most of the upness on the ride.
Just under 54 miles today, yes I could’ve eked out another 8 miles to get the metric ton but I have plenty of long weekends left to get that done!
Thoroughly enjoyed it, relaxed pace, great food… happy happy happy!! Timelapse video attached.

View: https://youtu.be/0f9n3FCPKHc

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Today marks the start of my first of eight successive long weekends and as such I ventured out on a fresh but sunny ride out to RaceHub cafe just north of Leicester, and coming back via Bradgate Park and Polly Bott’s Lane nearby which is a local legend of a climb in these parts!
It nearly didn’t happen though as I awoke at 7am only to find the wind howling and the rain belting on the window and thus the prospect of riding outdoors at that point was about as appetising as eating a sh*t sandwich, but just as I was resigning to yet another Zwift session the weather turned brighter and drier as the morning wore on and so to prevent procrastination setting in I made the decision to go for it.
Seeking a little inspiration from komoot I saw a nice looped route that met my requirements and set off around 10am. True to form with most of my route planning the fairly strong wind was with me there and against coming back, as were the hills! No unfamiliar roads today, but still pleasurable to ride on.
29 miles in was the cafe stop where I devoured a lovely bacon butty and millionaire shortbread with mini eggs on, washed down with a coffee as I overlooked the open water lake in which some triathletes were doing some training…. Rather them than me!!
Headed back via Barrow upon Soar, climbing out of Mountsorrel and cutting through Bradgate Park before the long uphill slog out of Newtown Linford and up towards Charnwood’s local legend- Polly Bott’s Lane. I was in no mood today to do KOMs or PRs and the wind was not favourable so it was a case of sit n’ spin for most of the upness on the ride.
Just under 54 miles today, yes I could’ve eked out another 8 miles to get the metric ton but I have plenty of long weekends to get that done!
Thoroughly enjoyed it, relaxed pace, great food… happy happy happy!! Timelapse video attached.

View: https://youtu.be/0f9n3FCPKHc

I take it you got an action camera for Xmas ^_^
Riding through the park in the day is a pain in the bum too many people

gavgav

Guru
I headed out just before 9am, for a Saturday morning spin with my mate Paul. It was blustery out there and light rain in the air, the sort of morning where if you were on your own you may have not bothered, but meeting someone else always improves the motivation.

I rode over to Meole Comprehensive School, where we were meeting and Paul arrived a couple of minutes later, so we set off into the headwind through Hook a Gate and Annscroft, where we were both glad to turn out of the wind for a bit, through Exfords Green and Stapleton.

We were back into it again through Gonsal, Ryton and along the muddy wet lane to Longnor. Thankfully, despite a flood sign finally being put in place, the water has actually abated and so no squelchy shoes today.

From Longnor we turned North and finally had the strong wind behind us, which helped improve the speed through Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop, where the road became busier than I’ve ever seen it before, with streams of traffic in both directions……We discussed that there must be a closure on the nearby A458, but there didn’t seem to be. What was going on, however, was an event on the Motocross track, which with a lot of the vehicles being VW Transporter’s, might have explained it. Some of them appeared to think they were still on a motorbike, the way they were driving…..

The light rain had been spitting, on and off, through most of the ride, but it got a little heavier during the final mile, before we parted ways.

A very enjoyable 21.02 miles, with plenty of chatting and an average speed of 12.1mph.

ianbarton

Veteran
Perhaps Strava should have a tag for "Most visited bus shelter"

bagpuss

Guru
Out with David today .Dry first part of ride . Following the cake stop at uttoxeter ,it got rather damp . Stopped at the site of a WW1 Airfield at Roston {Derbyshire} which the two books on old airfields covering this area fail to mention . David knew of the memorial stone/plaque with marks the area .Nothing to see apart from an area of flat farm land .So I learnt something new. . About two miles away is the site of RAF Darley Moor A WW2 training station. Got more soggy and muddy from here on to Home & two flats on my front tyre .
To wet for pictures .

13 rider

Guru
I have decided to cut back my milage this year which gives me the opportunity to pick when to ride as no need for early starts . The weather forecast last night looked awful for today . But I awoke to no rain and clearing sky's so waited until 1030 which looked about the best weather window for a ride before the really windy weather hit this afternoon .When just going out for an hour or so I take the hilly option .I have been trying to gain as much elevation in an hour as possible without doing hills reps . I don't live in a perticularly hilly area but have plenty of fairly short climbs to go at ,100 foot per mile is hilly round here . Up to Newtown Linford and up the first climb of Sharpley hill turned left at the top avoiding the runners doing the Charnwood hills race 14 miles cross country !!!. A bit of descent before turning left on to Priory lane for the steep first ramp then a fast downhill then the second drag which just keeps getting steeper turned right up Whitcroft for more steady climbing . At the T junction I would normally go left to continue up to Copt Oak . But today it was right a quick descent to Charley road and more downhill to the crossroads . Then from a dead stop it's left up today's big climb back towards Coalville. First steep ramp done then a steady drag followed by another steep ramp as you crest that your rewarded by a bit of downhill followed by another ramp .It's probably about 1.5 miles long which is a long climb for round here .Left at the bottom back towards Copt Oak up a steady drag which with the help of a tailwind was dispatched in the big ring . Along here I past the hour mark and I had done 1483ft of upness in 13.5 miles a new record for me . From Copt Oak it was round the back of Markfield into Thornton several smaller climbs done . After the reservoir climb it was mostly downhill home but at 18 miles I still over 100ft per mile climbing .It just began to spit with rain as I neared home so excellent timing . 23.7 miles with 2034ft of upness at 14.4 mph . Now trying to think of a route with more climbing in a shorter distance or I could just ride faster up hill

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Definitely wet and windy here in Shropshire but 4 of us thought that there would be a break in the rain this morning for our now regular Sunday ride, which was not quite how it turned out on the Welsh border side of the ride where it was still raining.
A route had been planned by one of the group who likes climbing hills ☹️. We met up in Ellesmere and set off up The Brow towards Whittington, it’s a long drag up not helped by the headwind but we eventually got to the top and over to turn off towards Babbinswood and over the A5 to Maesbury. Carried on through Llynclys,Porth -Y-Waen and up Blodwell Bank which is a longer drag up a hill followed by a welcome fast downhill stretch to Trefonen and into Oswestry. A quick discussion led to a change to the plan of going back up The Brow to Ellesmere, instead we took the longer way via Gobowen, St Martins and Duddleston Heath which has no big hills. Back into Ellesmere for our usual coffee at The BoatHouse. A wet and windy 45 miles including my ride to Ellesmere and home on lots of new territory which confirmed that I still don’t like hills 😂 although the wind wasn’t helping much. A good test for my new mudguards!
Lots of messages from the fair weather members of the group when we got back suggesting we may be slightly crazy!

Top Bottom