Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Lovely day for a ride, light frost overnight but bright and not too windy. Last week was west to the Lakes so this week went east to the Dales. Headed out toward Ingleborough and up on to the old road to Clapham at the aptly named Cold Coates. Got really chilly as I climbed and the easterly headwind was sharp. Through Austwick and stopped to help a guy with a broken derailleur, then up past Penyghent to Settle. The Naked Man was bursting… so went to the bike shop cafe opposite. All very friendly. Then lovely ride home through Keasden with the wind behind me. 58 miles and 1120m of climbing.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A beautiful day in North Yorkshire. Out on the Tricross at 10.30am for a March Gran Fondo. Out to Boroughbridge followed by a loop to Cawood. 65.4 miles with an average of 15 mph.

gavgav

Guru
I’ve been up in the Lake District for a week, with @Rickshaw Phil and Doug, and we managed to get out for 3 rides, all of which were in beautiful sunny weather. Chilly and layers were needed, but can’t complain for this time of year.

Sunday 27th
We finally got my 50k challenge entry in for February, with plenty of climbing as well. We set out along the eastern side of Coniston lake, to High Nibthwaite, Lowick and then up to Spark Bridge, before descending to Bouth.

The scenery down there, across to Rusland is some of my favourite and a little more off the beaten track than some of the touristy areas. The climb up from Crosslands was as steep as I remember it, but better on my own bike this time, rather than the hired bike from September.

The descent to Graythwaite makes it worthwhile and then also down to Cunsey. There is then quite a climb back up to Far Sawrey and Near Sawrey, where we followed quieter lanes around to Esthwaite water, before the main road to Hawkshead.

I’d got a bit ahead of Phil and Doug, as Doug was suffering with some cramp after 20 miles, so I paused on the far side of the village, for them to catch up. We then climbed up to Outgate and then onto the Drunken Duck Inn, where some lovely Barngates beer was enjoyed. I’d caught a farmer up, on the climb, who was in his buggy shepherding sheep into another field. I laughed when 4 made a bolt for it up the road, but the sheepdog soon sorted that out!!

After the pub, the legs were a bit stiff and we had the climb up Hawkshead Hill to contend with, which was punctuated by the remnants of a massive tree down on the side of the road. Indeed there was plenty of evidence across the Lake District of how many trees had succumbed in storm Franklin.

The descent back down to Coniston was fun and we arrived back at the house with 34.46 miles done and 2915ft of climbing.

Tuesday 1st
Another beautiful day and we got out for a shorter, but no less hilly ride across to the Langdales. The route out started with a climb of Hawkshead Hill, from the opposite direction and then up to High Cross, as hard as ever!!

We then re traced our steps to the Drunken Duck, but no stop today, as we turned left and descended to Skelwith Bridge. The short section on the main road was quiet, before we climbed up to Elterwater, one of my favourite Lakeland villages. We were aiming for lunch at the excellent Britannia Inn, but first had a challenge to undertake. Phil wanted to climb up the pass to Blea Tarn, but Doug and I didn’t think our legs were up for that and so we took the road up through Chapel Stile, to then meet Phil at the bottom of the pass, wondering who would get there first. To be fair, it was always likely to be us as Phil had more miles and climbing to do!! In the end we were about 25 minutes ahead.

We’d got a bit cold whilst waiting and so the descent back down the valley to the pub was bracing, we’d let Phil go ahead to enjoy his faster speed and hopefully get a table. We joined him to find all tables taken, but one soon became free and I enjoyed an Elterwater Gold beer and Cumberland Sausage sandwich, yummy!

We left the pub and had the hard climb up to the 3 Shires Inn, before we left the roads and enjoyed the nicely resurfaced gravel paths up to Tilberthwaite, before descending and along the exhilarating gravel path from Yewdale, which Doug and I possibly pressed on along a bit too fast, but it was fun!!

We then went down to the lake at Coniston and I enjoyed a Hot Chocolate with cream, lovely. We took the route across the fields, to get back to the house, which was covered in sheep muck and made a mess of the bikes!

25.05 miles and 1974 ft of climbing today.

Friday 4th
2 days of rain relented and so we were able to get out and enjoy our last day, on the bikes. We sort of had a route in mind, but wanted to “wing” it a bit and I was secretly hoping to get my March 50k entry in……it turned out to be our longest Lakes ride ever!

The same route out to Barngates was followed and then we descended and joined the gravel off road path, before climbing up to Wray Castle. We half thought of then descending to the Windermere lake shore path, but it had been closed earlier in the week due to trees being down and so we decided to stick to the road up to Colthouse. We had a moment along there, on a descent, where I approached what I though was water running across the road, but was actually a ruddy deep pothole! I slammed the brakes on and hit it, just about stayed on the bike, water bottle flying up in the air, closely followed by Doug who hit it as well! Thankfully no damage was done, but the roads up there are in a dreadful condition.

From Hawkshead we decided to follow the main road along to Graythwaite and down to Lakeside. It was fairly quiet and wind assisted, which was good fun, interspersed with the big climb.

We paused for lunch at Lakeside and then enjoyed the beautiful climb up to Finsthwaite, then across to Rusland and Oxen Park, using lanes we’d only ridden once before, always good to change things now and then. The climb to Oxen Park is long and before we got to Colton, Phil suggested we could take a short cut, as the 50k was easily going to be reached, so suggested we follow the Bandrake Head lane…..well, it may have been shorter but boy was it steeper! I really struggled up there, but then enjoyed the steep descent, where we encountered a van who pulled over for us, but as we waved him through he couldn’t get traction to begin with, but eventually did with a shake of his head and a chuckling remark that he didn’t think it was going to go then.

We then followed the Eastern side of Coniston, in the opposite direction to Sunday, legs were tired but the thought of another Hot Chocolate at the cafe, kept me going. As I checked my phone, upon reaching the cafe, I was totally shocked to read about the sad death of Shane Warne. As a cricketer myself, that upset me and took the edge off things a bit.

We arrived back with 37.83 miles on the clock and 3180 ft of climbing.

A fabulous week away and three great rides. Here are a few photos to convey the above

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
1st Sunday of the month so time for a monthly challenge ride metric century the target ,Route planned was designed to grab some velo viewer squares above Derby city centre . Out the door at 0830 into blustery conditions and the wind had a bite to it . Anstey ,Newtown Linford and up Sharpley hill . Took my well worn route out to Diesworth where I turned left and climbed up to East Midlands Airport . Through Castle Donington took a cyclepath to Shardlow and came across a flooded underpass made it through without getting wet feet . Shardlow to Derby where the city centre was navigated via the cyclepaths along side the river . As soon as you leave the river valley it starts to climb . The big climb up to Quarndon past Allestree park was tough . Literally a couple of miles of out the city centre and I could be anywhere in the Peak District .A mile on the A6 to Duffield where I crossed the river to Little Eaton another big climb (drum hill I think ) out up towards Morley moor . A bit more climbing up to Coxbench I was the rewarded with some nice descending to Borrowash . More cyclepaths and a walk over a footbridge to get over the A52 . Skirted round Derby to Elvaston and back to Shardlow to retrace my route home ,71 miles done with 3500ft of upness at a slow (for me ) 13.8mph . Got the 6 velo viewer squares I wanted, these are getting harder to nab it was 30 miles to the 1st square today .

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday and an errand for starters on the ebike; a print the label in store parcel and a look at the options gave a store on the Otley Road as being convenient as it had tubular post and rail fences. Through a pretty wet in places Country Park, down Penny Pot

up Cornwall Road and through the Pine Woods, aka UCI circuit, only to find the store could not take any more parcels due to the bag being full. So back to the circuit for the decent alongside Valley Gardens and a more successful deposition of the parcel; the ebike secured to a road sign pole.
The other destination was Sainsburys; had a voucher for £5 worth of Nectar points valid only on Saturday but a few spots of rain become heavier and once back across the Otley Road via a left turn on right turn off I decided I was getting too wet and turned round; this time I went for a right turn on left off Otley Road and a motorist gave me right of way:okay: Further on as I waited to cross the A61 not only had the rain stopped but it was back to sunny blue skies.
Decided to revert to the intended destination by following the reverse of the normal return route; there was a bit of light rain on the bridleway towards the show ground. Stayed dry for the return whilst I mused over how had the receipt come to over £10. At home I noted the 1kg bag of applies listed twice – that will be an interesting conversation with customer services next time, “No I do not have a horse”. 10.66 miles with 885ft of elevation

Sunday and the Defy up Humps and a Hill and via Bilton Lane and Bilton Hall Drive to the A59 down to Knaresborough. Stationary traffic heading up Bond End from High Bridge so turned onto Waterside; speed falling to walking pace at frequent intervals. Onto Abbey Road the vertical cliff was well illuminated.

An annoying rattle developed; I stopped after crossing the Nidd on the B6164 and immediately spotted a missing mudguard fixing bolt; had a spare in the saddle bag. Through Little Ribston dark clouds became dominant and I reached the second word ABC of North Deighton.

Did not spot the rear mudguard had become so elongated beyond the wheel.
Headed west to Spofforth for a snack break in the Millennium Green; then up the deceptive lump at Aketon (15.4% max)

and upwards through Follifoot.

A brief encounter with the A658 then south west along Pannal / Follifoot roads and another lump (14.1% max).

Through Pannal, road still in need of resurfacing, and onto the Pine Woods as a reverse of yesterdays route before cutting down pass Oakdale Golf Club to largely reverse the initial outbound route. 22.98 miles 1473ft climbed 12.5mph avg.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
A lovely sunny day at last and after a long route planning discussion on WhatsApp our usual group split into 2 with half wanting to head up the Horseshoe Pass and half definitely not wanting to. We all met up at the usual time and 4 headed for Llangollen and the other 4 of us set off through Ellesmere to Lee along the newly resurfaced lane through Weston Lullingfields to Baschurch. Turned to Ryton XI Towns and over the A5 surprisingly easily at Shottaton crossroads to Knockin. Through Knockin past the famous Knockin Shop to Woolston , West Felton and Rednal. A brief stop while we decided if we were sticking to the plan of going up The Brow back to Ellesmere or the flat way via Hordley. We decided to stick to the plan and turned for Lower Frankton and up to Welsh Frankton before the long downhill back to Ellesmere and our usual coffee stop before heading back home.
All the route after Baschurch was new with some amazing views across to Wales and some lovely villages even if some of the roads were a bit rough! 43.8 miles.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Exactly 25 miles today. Didn't go on the club ride, but went out the same way until turning off for Arlingham. Never got remotely near club speed, and was pretty tired doing just over half the distance of a typical club ride. Heart rate took quite a while to return to normal afterwards, but I'm definitely making progress. Not taking any risks by going too far or too fast, just steadily increasing the distance without sending the old ticker into overload. My longest post-covid ride so far.

** Copied/ edited from Metric Half Chatzone**

Took advantage of my day off and set out for a leisurely tootle down to Lutterworth and back via Wolvey and Nuneaton. Quite draughty throughout especially heading down to Lutterworth. The wahoo then decided to play silly buggers today and the navigation suddenly disappeared and wouldn’t return, despite refreshing everything, so there I was in the middle of Magna Park stopping seemingly every two minutes to check the map! Once over the A5, I knew the names of the villages I was hoping to pass through and just set out to get them by means of signposts and what have you.

The ‘winging it’ method paid off and it wasn’t long before I was in Nuneaton and familiar turf. From there it was all too familiar back roads before a seven mile or so stretch up the busy A447 back towards home and despite travelling in the complete opposite direction from Lutterworth the wind still felt head on at times! The route I had planned in komoot would have required me to turn right towards home once at the traffic lights in Ravenstone however being over 58 miles in at this point gave me the impetus to kick on to get the 62.14 I needed for the metric ton. I had to basically do a mini tour around Coalville itself in order to get the job done and oddly with about a mile to go my Bolt decided to start navigating again…. Great, but the original planned route never went anywhere near the road where it kicked back in again so I’m not sure what route that was following…:blink:

I managed it though and got home having done 62.4 miles and 2700 feet of upness on a cold, sunny but blowy day! Timelapse video attached.

View: https://youtu.be/4fapCn3pA-o

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As @gavgav has already mentioned, he, Doug and I were in the Lakes for a holiday last week staying near Coniston and for the first time in ages we took our own bikes. This is the first chance I've had to log on since getting back so apologoes for the late write ups:

27th of Feb: Gav hadn't done his 50km ride for the month and with a poor forecast for the next day this was the only opportunity to stay in the challenge. We set out heading round the north of Coniston Water and over the climb to Brantwood to take the lane alongside the eastern shore. We took our time and enjoyed the fabulous scenery as we worked our way along to High Nibthwaite, Lowick Bridge then Spark Bridge and the climb over to Bouth. Around here I noticed an odd noise - something rubbing, or could it be a bearing giving notice? Whatever it was I couldn't immediately pinpoint it.

Working our way up the Rusland Valley Gav almost collided with an errant dog. At our next photo/drink stop I noticed the cause of the rubbing noise - one of the brake return springs had somehow managed to come adrift so the rear brake was dragging on one side only.

The climb from Crosslands on the road to Graythwaite is a long drag and steep in places. Near the start of it we found the road being cleaned of a thick layer of cattle poo and all hoped that none of us would get a puncture before we could wash it off the tyres. Doug started to struggle on the climb and needed a few stops for a breather. By the time he got to the top he was complaining of his legs starting to cramp up which wasn't a good sign.

We enjoyed the descent to Graythwaite Hall and the steep and twisty one to Cunsey. The climb back up to Far Sawrey was rather slow going as was the one into Near Sawrey. Having turned to head round the western shore of Esthwaite Water it seemed that Doug wasn't doing too badly but as we neared Hawkshead the cramp came back with a vengeance on one of the short climbs and he had to stop. After that it came back again regularly so we made slow progress to Outgate (where Doug overshot the junction we wanted) and up to the Drunken Duck.

After having refreshments the climb of Hawkshead Hill had to be tackled. This was very slow with lots of stops leading to Gav getting worried when he reached the top and Doug and I didn't show up. We got there eventually though and enjoyed the long descent back to lake level. A tough ride for Doug but he did well to get round and Gav stays in the 50km a month challenge.:okay:

34.4 miles at 9.9 mph average with a 33.9 mph top speed showing on my speedo.

View from the head of Coniston Water.

Following the lake shore. I took three shots of this scene and, annoyingly, all have my finger in shot.:rolleyes:

A pause for a bite of chocolate and a drink at Lowick Bridge.

Looking across the valley to Rusland Hall.

At the top of the climb from Crosslands. A good time to have a lunch break.

Having dropped down to Cunsey we get a good view to Windermere.

Approaching Near Sawrey.

Plenty of signs of recent storm damage near Esthwaite Water.

Refreshments at the Drunken Duck.

The remains of a fallen tree on Hawkshead Hill has narrowed the road a bit.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
1st of March: The weather on the Monday was wet all day so taking a rest day was no problem. The Tuesday looked good though so we planned for a slightly shorter ride.

The day dawned frosty and as the sun came up, patchy fog formed so our start was delayed a little while to allow everything to clear a bit. Layered up we ventured out and rode to the head of the lake again then started the climb of Hawkshead Hill. Having had some success on my own bikes I had done an adjustment on Doug's bike which I hoped would help and also made some suggestions about technique having noticed how he had been trying to furiously spin up every incline. These seemed to work and he made it up the hill with just a handful of short rest stops.

We enjoyed the descent to the Drunken Duck where this time we took a left and headed for Skelwith Fold then Skelwith Bridge. There is a path to Elterwater from here but we weren't sure how busy it would be on one of the few sunny days expected this week so stayed on the road instead, which was fine.

Before reaching Elterwater I parted from Gav and Doug to head off on my own up Little Langdale then to Blea Tarn. This was a great bit of riding but very hilly. I caught a group of walkers at the top of the steepest bit and got a "Well done!" for my efforts.^_^

When I dropped down into Great Langdale (having avoided various sheep in the road on the way down) Doug and Gav had been standing round a while and were feeling the cold a bit. They urged me to head on at my own pace and hopefully grab a table at the Britannia ready for when they arrived. Unfortunately there weren't any free when I got there but we didn't have to wait very long before one was free so were able to enjoy lunch and a pint there

Moving on again and the legs had stiffened up a bit during our break so it was a slow start on the way up the climbs to Little Langdale (my second visit) wheer we turned off onto the cycle route to Tilberthwaite. Apart from having to manhandle the bikes across a footbridge (to avoid a knee-deep ford), the path is quite a good one but the climbing seemed to go on and on. The descent on tarmac the other side is worth it before joining another gravel trail that helps avoid the worst of the busy road back into Coniston.

We decided to drop down to the Bluebird Cafe by the lake shore and finished off the ride with a hot drink here before tackling the last bit of path. Rather a lot of sheep poo along here - a shame because the bikes had rinsed off quite nicely on the wet roads.

26.7 miles for me at 9.3 mph average. Doug did really well on this one - the adjustment does seem to have helped.:okay:

At High Cross - the summit of Hawkshead Hill.

Our first look at the Langdales from Skelwith Fold.

The view into Elterwater.

Heading into Little Langdale for the first time. The pass I'm taking isn't as extreme as the ones advertised. Another day perhaps?.....

This is where my route splits off. Only a 25% gradient signed for my road.:unsure:

A couple of views at Blea Tarn.

At the Britannia Inn.

I thought the road up Little Langdale was pretty hilly but it seems there is also a "challenging option".:ohmy:

Having taken the path to Tilberthwaite there is a nice bit of downhill from here.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
4th of March: After a couple of pretty wet days we got a final chance for a ride on the Friday. Although we had a rough idea of where we wanted to end up, we were winging it a bit. Quite a few of the off-road paths are still closed due to clearing up storm damage so our plan was made as flexible as possible.

To start with we headed to the head of the lake again and another ascent of Hawkshead Hill. This time Doug was clearly getting on better on the hill and when Gav and I stopped for a photo it took quite a while to catch up again. At High Cross the access to Grizedale was stillmarked as closedso we couldn't do the tour through the forest we had in mind. instead we dropped down past the Drunken Duck (again) and carried on down the hill to Pull Woods and took the path heading through the estate towards Wray Castle.

At the castle gatehouse we did think about taking the path alongside the shore of Windermere. We knew this had been closed earlier in the week but there were no signs at all so we couldn't be sure of the current status and decided to stick with the road rather than have to turn back up a long hill. Heading for Colthouse Gav and Doug had a bit of a moment when a flow of water across the road turned out to be hiding a deep pothole theat couldn't be seen until it was too late to stop. Both hit it and one of Gav's water bottles went flying. Fortunately no other harm was done but it could have been quite the tumble if they had been carrying more speed at the time.

Reaching Hawkshead we decided to take the main road to Lakeside - this is the easier of the options we could have taken but there are still some tough climbs to tackle. This is made up for by some good long descents once past Graythwaite. We paused for lunch at the steamer pier at Lakeside which has some great views. Knowing the next climb out of Newby Bridge is a tough one I suggested an alternative - retracing our steps to Low Stott Park then taking the road through Finsthwaite. This turned out to be a good move as it is scenic and a gentler climb. A lost van driver provided a bit of a distraction as he blocked the road then an unexpected closure was fortunately just at the junction where we wanted to turn off anyway.

A long descent on a narrow lane brought us down to the Rusland Valley again where we took a tour up one side of the valley then back along the other side following the signs for Oxen Park. I've followed this route once before and I'd forgotten quite how the road seems to keep going up and up. On reaching Oxen Park I remembered that taking a right would cut the corner and avoid Spark Bridge so I suggested this and the others agreed. Unfortunately, although I correctly remembered where the road comes out I had completely forgotten the big hills on this lane and I don't think that Gav and Doug were thinking of me fondly as they struggled up the steep inclines and over numerous false summits.:shy::shy: The view from the top cheered everyone up though and the steep descent was quite thrilling. We met a van trying to come up on one of the steeper bits and it seemed like he might get stuck where he'd put a wheel into the mud to squeeze past us.

Everyone was a bit low on energy by now so we were a bit slow along the eastern shore of Coniston Water. Fortunately going in this direction it does seem to flow a bit more until you get near Brantwood. On the way up the climb here another rider overtook us like we were stood still.

A pub stop had been discussed but a cafe stop seemed more sensible so we ended up at the Bluebird Cafe again. We finished off on the road this time so as not to get the wheels covered in sheep poo again.

37.7 miles for this one at 9.8 mph average. Gav has got his March challenge ride covered early and we believe that this is the longest ride we've done in the Lakes.^_^ Doug did really well again, without any of the issues that dogged him on the first ride.

At the head of Coniston Water again.

The path through Pull Woods.

At the gatehouse for Wray Castle.

A couple of shots from Lakeside.

Finsthwaite.

Bandrake Head.

After a long and challenging climb the views that greeted us at the summit of Bessy Bank Lane.

Riding past Brantwood for the last time this holiday.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Up to date now. Today's ride.

Now that Spring is hopefully on the way I decided to fit the new wheels I have for the Hawk along with the Vittoria Randonneur tyres I got last summer. A test ride was called for so I headed round one of my regular routes: Condover, Berrington, Cound, Harnage, Acton Burnell, Longnor and back via Condover again.

Althoug it's fairly sunny the easterly wind was quite brisk and cold. I wasn't quick getting to Condover and Lyons Lane wasn't much better. From Berrington I headed into Cross Houses but unexpectedly found the road closed there so had to double back and took a chance that the other lane which comes out onto the A458 would be clear of the closure - which it was.:okay:

At Cound the flag of St. Piran was flying today. The climb to Harnage seemed a plod with the wind still against me but I knew when I changed direction for Cound Moor I'd have the tailwind I'd been hoping for. That lasted until Acton Burnell then I lost the assistance except for a small section near Longnor.

Turning northwards I was getting along okay but the crosswind wasn't helping and didn't until after Condover. There was a bit of a moment near Gonsal Quarry when a BMW came at me fast on my side of the road - from the grin on the drivers face it was pretty deliberate.:dry:

25 miles at 13.2 mph average. I'd hoped it might be a fairly quick ride on the lighter tyres but the weather conditions weren't helpful. Otherwise a decent test ride.

theloafer

Legendary Member
well i made it out of the door this morning ,which was better than yesterday. the planned ride in my head was soon abandoned as it appears to be chillier than it looked .:cold: decided to pop in and see a good friend who we laid to rest last Thursday at north road cemetery Spennymoor, which lets me ride a long the Auckland way cycle track ^_^ .
past a field with Shetland ponies and got chatting to a guy who was feeding them apples . dropped into spennymoor called in and had a few words with Andy (rip mate), then head off round the corner to see my mate pete for a natter and coffee dam he was not in :sad::sad: .
so time to plan fastest way home as fingers felt they were dropping off . only 22 miles which is short for me .. need to MTFU.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6792578413

bagpuss

Guru
Today's ride was one that consisted of 'flat with lumpy bits in the middle' for David and myself. Heading to Uttoxeter from Derby via Etwall, Scropton, Sudbury and downhill from Doveridge. Taking an early lunch in Uttoxeter, we then headed through Stramshall and spinning gradually up & down the undulating road to Hollington. Turning right just before the village, we headed down the line of the old Roman road with a view to turning down to Croxton Abbey. However, it was closed due to works, so we carried on and took the left turn onto Nabb Lane, and over to Alton. We cruised through the village of Alton, down Horse Road and on to the lovely Churnet Valley. Here we spun our wheels along Red lane in delightful countryside enjoying the early spring sunshine. Passing The Ramblers Retreat cafe, which for many years was a mecca for cyclists from all over the North Midlands, into the village of Oakermoor, and over the river Churnet, here a sharp right turn up to the village of Farley. This road is a gradual rise, the sort that saps your legs. We took the left hand turn, which takes you along the back of Alton Towers, passing the JCB estate of Wootton Park. From here we had a lovely coast downhill to Prestwood, and to a further coffee stop at Denstone. Suitably refreshed, we headed towards Rocester. David says, having spied a bird hovering in the field, what sort of raptor is that? I had a look at the bird, spying that it was suspended from a large carbon pole, I said that it is one you need to go the Specsavers for! (It was set up to scare pigeons etc.) After a few moments of chuckles all round, we ambled through the village of Rocester and up the climb of Marston Bank to the village of Marston Montgomery. From Marston Montgomery we had one good climb to do, up to Vernons Oak Farm. The final part of our ride took us downhill into Boylestone, spinning our wheels through more lovely countryside, now with a tail wind. Through the village of Church Broughton, Sutton on the Hill, and finally through Dalbury Hollow and back to Allestree. A cracking ride in cool spring sunshine.

Route of the former Churnet Valley railway.

Bagpuss.

David .

Denstone College

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride was one that consisted of 'flat with lumpy bits in the middle' for David and myself. Heading to Uttoxeter from Derby via Etwall, Scropton, Sudbury and downhill from Doveridge. Taking an early lunch in Uttoxeter, we then headed through Stramshall and spinning gradually up & down the undulating road to Hollington. Turning right just before the village, we headed down the line of the old Roman road with a view to turning down to Croxton Abbey. However, it was closed due to works, so we carried on and took the left turn on to Nabb Lane, and over to Alton. We cruised through the village of Alton, down Horse Road and on to the lovely Churnet Valley. Here we spun our wheels along Read lane in delightful countryside enjoying the early spring sunshine. Passing The Ramblers Retreat cafe, which for many years was a mecca for cyclists from all over the North Midlands, into the village of Oakermoor, and over the river Churnet, here a sharp right turn up to the village of Farley. This road is a gradual rise, the sort that saps your legs. We took the left hand turn, which takes you along the back of Alton Towers, passing the JCB estate of Wootton Park. From here we had a lovely coast downhill to Prestwood, and to a further coffee stop at Denstone. Suitably refreshed, we headed towards Rocester. David says, having spied a bird hovering in the field, what sort of raptor is that? I had a look at the bird, spying that it was suspended from a large carbon pole, I said that it is one you need to go the Specsavers for! (It was set up to scare pigeons etc.) After a few moments of chuckles all round, we ambled through the village of Rocester and up the climb of Marston Bank to the village of Marston Montgomery. From Marston Montgomery we had one good climb to do, up to Vernons Oak Farm. The final part of our ride took us downhill into Boylestone, spinning our wheels through more lovely countryside, now with a tail wind. Through the village of Church Broughton, Sutton on the Hill, and finally through Dalbury Hollow and back to Allestree. A cracking ride in cool winter sunshine.

View attachment 634416
Route of the former Churnet Valley railway.
View attachment 634417
Bagpuss.
View attachment 634418
David .
View attachment 634420
Denstone College
I rode through Allestree on Sunday did the climb past the park to Quorndon . The cafe at Denistone is another frequented by us Leicester bunch on longer rides that way

Last edited:
Top Bottom